• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Live Chat on Brawl, Yes or No?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I find it strange that people who are paranoid about lag ruining online play want voice chat, which would make online play more laggy.

ggPeteQ

Smash Journeyman
I find it strange that people who are paranoid about lag ruining online play want voice chat, which would make online play more laggy.
Well, if you know your connection is good enough to handle both lag and voice chat, then why not? Lag is going to be unavoidable between people in different states, let alone people like who are on an island in the middle of the ocean (guam).

If the game can provide a lag free (or really, REALLY little lag) experience between my friends on island though, I'll be happy. It makes it so much easier to train late at night, or when you just can't get to your friend's house (since 1v1 on the same cube should always be the 1st choice for practice).

Voice chat could be used for positive use, like a better player telling a newb player his mistakes. Besides, I've yet to see a smasher who talks smack.

We're a different (Read: NOT BETTER) community than the halo players.

Sensai

Smash Master
teh_p3t3r said:
Lag is going to be unavoidable between people in different states, let alone people like who are on an island in the middle of the ocean...
Lag will be there, regardless.

And I like your last quote. We are a much different community then Halo players. Even in saying that, though, there are most certainly players who would talk smack online if given the chance.

Razed

Smash Ace
I would love it. I LOVE talking to and meeting new people. Buuut it's prolly not gonna happen because there will be some stupid *******s who just go around insulting people and swearing and nintendo doesn't want to scare off the kiddies. Go on Diablo 2 online for like 5 minutes and you'll hear about 50 insults, 40 swear words, 30 spammers, 20 sex terms, and 10 death threats like the guy had murdered someone.

Could you be more ignorant? Didn't think so.

Why is the concept of turning off voice chat or putting away your headphones going in one ear and out the other for most of you people? Or are some of you just posting without reading the thread?

Seriously, voice chat would only add to the experience. And if you dislike it, turn it off. That's simple.

Imagine how much more fun a match would be if you, say, played Wes with voice chat. Him and his hilarious obscenities and what not. "EXTEEENDAR!" ****ing hilarious.
Sir,you shouldn't try to claim ignorence on another person,for you don't relize that the idea really isn't that helpful...And in a game like smash,really isn't helpful strategic wise iether.

Fast paced games such as MvC2,Smash,and 3rd strike really requier no use of communication.All actions that occur come simply from instinct.There really isn't any strat. play in the game because of the speed of the battle.I rather have a feature used for actual support(Even though i would still hate it because people keep back seet driving),rather than comical effect.

The other day i was playing 3rd strike with a friend,and everytime,he shouted out his moves like an idiot.It wasn't funny,it was just retated.

I wish that poeple would recongnize that this game DOESN'T need voice chat...But if people insist..go ahead,i wouldn't use it...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
There is no need for this, I agree. Unlike your standard FPS online game, you won't be teamed up with a crew of 4 lying in wait on the other side of the map while strategizing or anything of the such. It's likely that in some cases that the people you play against will be stoopid and thus making your experience of this great game less enjoyable. And I'd rather not run into chocolate milk kid while playing Brawl, either.

~3rd person doesn't bother me for some reason. :dizzy: Must be that "I hate being like everyone else" complex kicking in.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I always talk with my friends. For me, the whole point of playing Smash online is that I can have a fun game of Smash without the hassle of inviting someone over every time I want to play them. I can get on after school for an hour, play one of my friends, then work on homework. If I can't talk to them, it's just like playing a computer. If you can't talk and play at the same time, you either have concentration problems or just suck. Or maybe I'm just really talented for beating three of my friends in a 3 on 1 match while talking the entire time.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Fighting somone online, and not being able to talk to them sucks, its like ur playing against a talented CP, having chat wont affect the gameplay, if u just put on the microphone,headphones u'll be able to chat with him while playing smash, and tell him he sux and u rule when u 4 stock him in a smash, online humiliation XD...

I knew you were going to pop in and say that...:ohwell:
It is only the truth,bragging about your victorious strides over your friends skill doesn't mean anything.

Only playing people(and beating if possible)above your skill level can allow you to brag.I have yet to play anyone on a more"proffesional" stature,but i wish to in the near future so that i may truly improve...

Sensai

Smash Master
A lot of people said:
There is no need for this.
No, there's no need for it; this is true. But it wouldn't really hurt anything (with the exception of children's ears...but we've covered that) to have it tossed in there.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
We do need some type of chat system and it better not be a lobby where you have to type things with the Wii Remote... :dizzy: So I guess that would be the best way to go about it but if they did it would probably be very cheap headsets that break easily and cost like 30-50 bucks :(

GAME_OVER1

Smash Rookie
I say yes, it would be great for team play esp. But maybe they should have the option of on of off before you start the game.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I'm rather amused by how the opponents of voice chat are saying that it shouldn't be added as it's not a necessary or tactically beneficial component of the game. Well, no ****. It's not supposed to be.

Voice chat is intended to add that social element of friendly interaction that makes playin' smash with a good group so much fun. Passing light hearted jokes and comments after stylish combos and successful Falcon Punches... giving advice and learning from the words of better players... telling stories about that one day at band camp as you proceed to smash your friends into oblivion... the full social spectrum of Smash is one of if not it's most addictive quality, and voice chat is what is necessary to take this critical component of the game's fun factor to the online world.

If you still disagree, turn it off.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
I'm rather amused by how the opponents of voice chat are saying that it shouldn't be added as it's not a necessary or tactically beneficial component of the game. Well, no ****. It's not supposed to be.

Voice chat is intended to add that social element of friendly interaction that makes playin' smash with a good group so much fun. Passing light hearted jokes and comments after stylish combos and successful Falcon Punches... giving advice and learning from the words of better players... telling stories about that one day at band camp as you proceed to smash your friends into oblivion... the full social spectrum of Smash is one of if not it's most addictive quality, and voice chat is what is necessary to take this critical component of the game's fun factor to the online world.

wow, u pretty much summed up what i was thinkin. voice chat ftw!!!

Stryks

Smash Hero

This guys pretty much says it all, Brva *applauds*... Live chat FTW!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok this is my idea:

The Wii has 2 usb ports, so decided to use that to make things more easy, u will have a headphone/microphone, this will send a signal to the usb, the usb then, with the connection, will send the verbal message to the receiver(s), thus, if they answer, their usb will do the same, and so on, u get the idea, Im pretty sure X box uses a similair way, if not identical, but well u get the idea...
^^^ B-Coz, heres my idea ^^^

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
I want it. >_>

It's just better to play online. I just hope if the Wii somes with headphones, that they arent as easily breakable as the PS2. <_<

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Whatever hardware Nintendo makes, it'll be nearly indestructable knowing them. Or at least they'll be a lot more durable that whatever Sony or Microsoft can make. I'm not totally hating the idea but I'll probably be the ones who turn it off...

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Ok this is my idea:

The Wii has 2 usb ports, so decided to use that to make things more easy, u will have a headphone/microphone, this will send a signal to the usb, the usb then, with the connection, will send the verbal message to the receiver(s), thus, if they answer, their usb will do the same, and so on, u get the idea, Im pretty sure X box uses a similair way, if not identical, but well u get the idea...
The wii uses bluetooth to communicate to wiimote. There would probably be a bluetooth headset that wouldsend a signal directly to the wii, and bypass the usb, making the communication .1 miliseconds faster:laugh:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't care, if it's in I probably won't talk since I'm not the boldest person in the world plus the internets frightens me. :scared:

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Well the way I see it, voice chat isn't really necessary, but that's no reason to exclude it. A lot of people want it, and it could make the game more social while playing online. But I can see where the naysayers are coming from. I, too, am a little concerned about what I like to call the Halo Kids. The Halo Kids are those ones who scream obscenities into their headset the moment they do something remotely right, as if scoring one KO or kill automatically makes them master of the game. While the Halo Kids are an unavoidable hazard that most definately will happen, it's easy enough to avoid them if you just take off the headset and don't listen.

So, yes to voice chat. If you don't like it, don't use it. Everybody wins.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think smack talk would be as much of a problem.
1. You could just hit a mute button on your headset or if there isn't one, just take the headset off. lol
2. Unlike Halo, a crappy kid can't brag! lol

But seriously, even if you do horrible in Halo your team can be good which gives them a reason to brag. In Smash however, I just can't imagine anyone on SWF losing to some noob who brags. Simply put, I think there is a much more difficult path to get good at Smash opposed to Halo. Not saying it doesn't take skill, but there are more techs that can help you a lot and some loser who just spams something won't beat too many people who know techs.

F8X

Smash Ace
How would you encounter some of these annoying kids if the wii uses friend codes? I'd say yes to voice chat, like many have said before , it adds to the social element, which adds to much more enjoyment into the game.
Totally agree with you there. I would personally love to see voice chat in Smash. With friend codes you eliminate the possibility of meeting a punk online.*note* I have played a DS online so I have not experienced Nintendo's online first hand*/note*
The real question is can it be done?

And am I the only one who can laugh off the Halo 2 punks out there?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Voice chat would be nice to have. Heck, even a lobby where you can type text-messages would be good enough.

Sensai

Smash Master
i like the idea but it would probably add to the lag
Everyone seemed to miss this comment...no witty response from team 'Voice Chat FTW'?
FireBomb said:
Whatever hardware Nintendo makes, it'll be nearly indestructable knowing them.
This is true. Nintendo's been doing this for a while...they're not likely to release **** that'll break quickly....Sony. Although, this whole Wii wrist strap trip was quite the fiasco, agreed?
InfiniteFalco said:
How would you encounter some of these annoying kids if the wii uses friend codes?
Ah, another thing most have overlooked...the rebuttle from team 'No Halo 2 Kids in Brawl!'?

Top Bottom