• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Live Chat on Brawl, Yes or No?

Azufer

Smash Rookie
Text messages are the best for playing i bet that you will be able to use one of the usb ports to connect a keyboard and chat

FireBomb

Smash Lord
This is true. Nintendo's been doing this for a while...they're not likely to release **** that'll break quickly....Sony. Although, this whole Wii wrist strap trip was quite the fiasco, agreed?
Shoot, I was too fixated on the fact that the flying controllers were undamaged after flying across the room that I forgot it's the wrist straps fault in the first place. XD Least they replied with replacements, and rather quickly, too.

I suppose Rockettrainer is right, they should at least have a sort of chat lobby. Now that I think about it, I never had any live chat on any game, so I can't just completely shut it out and hate it without even trying. I guess if it happens, Smash will be my first...

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
I dont see any reason not too.. i enjoy talkin to other people when i game(ventrillo, chat, etc) if you dont want to listen take the headphones off, honestly
OMFG so true, I'd love to start a quote pyramid here because what you just said is why there should simply be NO argument as to why there shouldn't be voice chat. Honestly guys, those who don't want it, don't try and ruin it by plaguing "omg it's useless." Simply unplug the mic and that's that...

A-Laon

Smash Master
Everyone seemed to miss this comment...no witty response from team 'Voice Chat FTW'?
Lag will be present regardless, so stressing the fact to voice chat is rather shallow. And more importantly, if Nintendo could honestly go so wrong as to allow simplistic voice chat for two-four people to cause significantly detrimental gameplay lag, they shouldn't even be putting games online for (another) generation anyway.

Chenzo

Smash Rookie
yes

absolutly. i feel like every online game should support voice communication, especially since there's no keyboard. and i dont know of anyone who's lightning fast at typing with the wii-board (digi-keyboard) and a wiimote.

in fact, they should make wireless headsets or something.

Sensai

Smash Master
Welcome to the boards, Chenzo.

And A-Laon, sure, there's obviously going to be lag. And with some games (Halo comes to mind), that small amount of lag is fine. But with a fighting game, especially one of Smash's nature, that lag can REALLY kill the game.

I have absolutely no technical knowledge at all, so any and all of these numbers are wrong to some extent. But the way I see it, you can just view them as variables...

Lag due to online: 1-2 frames (this is probably way to low)
Lag due to controller: 1-2 frames (wired=1, wireless=a tad more)
Lag due to voice chat: 1-2 frames (a completely made up number, but it's so low that I feel I'm being nice about it)

At absolute worst case scenario, that's 6 frames of lag. That's a massive amount of lag, considering that some moves (the shine!) take so very little time to get going.

Best case scenario is that there are 3 frames of lag. Sadly, there's no way at all that this is true, seeing as how my numbers are the absolute LOWEST amount of lag, at all.

[Edit:]

Forgot to conclude my arguement...

So, you see, this added lag is a huge deal. It sounds small (a thirtieth of a second. Pshaw!), but it adds up after a long while.

A-Laon

Smash Master
...Snippity...
I'll definitely be the first one to agree that the slightest tenths of seconds make the biggest differences in Smash, and I'm not gonna say it's not a potential problem with voice chat, yet there are a few facts that may help repair the damage done by it:

-I'll start with the worst case: even if nothing can be done about the lag caused by voice chat, people are going to need to learn to adapt to the slight lag delays in playing online anyway, hence why can't they adjust a tad more to compensate for voice chat as well? Just to play with your numbers, let's still assume the standard total lag online is 4 frames and with voice chat it's 6. Fox's jump-lag for wding is 4 frames while Falco's is 6 (not to take these numbers perfectly seriously, just for a comparison). People can wd with both Fox and Falco by learning that difference in delay, so I'm confident people could adapt to slight increases in delay caused by voice chat.

But then again, even though that's more than do-able, it may not even be necessary:

-Brawl is looking to have a considerable boost in freeze-frames from attacks connecting. This lessening in the typical frames-per-second can in its own right hide the lag delay (in fact, it would probably be rather rightful to assume that this is a big reason for the decision to include more freeze frames). Even if it doesn't compensate frame-for-frame, it's still, to quote Sakurai, "slowing the game down" to a point that it's more manageable in laggier online environments.

Regardless, there's a way for it to work. People may adapt... the game may be slowed down to the point it plays perfectly online... one way or another, I doubt the feature of voice chat could cause such a significant difference in lag as to justify it's absence, and subsequently the absence of the game's entire social aspect. Perhaps I'm wrong. Can't know until the game is out, but in all reasoning I can see, I firmly support voice chat in the face of what is probably it's only critical potential flaw.

If we can put men on the moon I imagine we can put Smash online.

Sensai

Smash Master
But A-Leon...we all know that the moon landing was FAKE!

And I had forgotten about the possibility of a slowed down game and the massive freeze frames, which is an excellent point. So, let me propose a different question entirely to the 3 of us still reading this thread:

Would you slow down Brawl so that it's online could be played at it's newly defined 'full speed'?

A-Laon

Smash Master
But A-Leon...we all know that the moon landing was FAKE!

And I had forgotten about the possibility of a slowed down game and the massive freeze frames, which is an excellent point. So, let me propose a different question entirely to the 3 of us still reading this thread:

Would you slow down Brawl so that it's online could be played at it's newly defined 'full speed'?
The legitimacy of the wd wasn't the point, but the player's ability to learn to adapt to small differences in frames when performing actions.

And to answer your question -- sure, why not.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
So how much slowed down will it be in order to still keep it fun and interesting? If it's barely a noticable difference, I wouldn't mind if it meant playing against you guys. Any big differences, however, would lead me to reconsider.

Ugh, that's all that this game's possibilities are becoming: "If you want *this*, you'll have to give up *that* or the slightest possibility for *that* as well." :urg:

A-Laon

Smash Master
Ugh, that's all that this game's possibilities are becoming: "If you want *this*, you'll have to give up *that* or the slightest possibility for *that* as well." :urg:
Largely the reason I'm stickin' to Melee for as long as possible, and abstaining from any unnecessary online play in Brawl.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
1 frame is 1/60th of a second. The human eye continues to send signal to the brain after seeing an image for 1/15th of a second, which is what causes blur when stuff moves fast. they could probably cut the frame rate down quite a bit for online instead of making characters slower and we wouldn't notice. if we can blink while playing smash we can reduce frame rate a bit to compensate for lag.

Sensai

Smash Master
killbeast201 said:
1 frame is 1/60th of a second. The human eye continues to send signal to the brain after seeing an image for 1/15th of a second, which is what causes blur when stuff moves fast. they could probably cut the frame rate down quite a bit for online instead of making characters slower and we wouldn't notice. if we can blink while playing smash we can reduce frame rate a bit to compensate for lag.
To add to this conversation, your eyes (assuming you're human) go (detect? run? see?) only 28 FPS....meaning that there are 32 FPS unseen.

But even so, you can tell when a game is running in 60 FPS as opposed to 30 FPS. Seriously. Go play CS Source, then go back and play the original one. Even though we can't read it technically, we still notice it.

I vote against slowing down Brawl solely for online play. I'd rather the in-person player be the speed they intended it to be, even if it does mean that online will have to suffer. 'Cause let's face it...tournies won't be held online. They're still going to happen in person.

AceMoney

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, slowing down Brawl only for online play would be a bad move for nintendo. I do like the aspect of online play, but I refuse to sacrifice the speed that melee has weened me on. It'd be like playing melee and then playing the original right afterwards. A huge difference in speeds. So yeah. Voice chat would be interesting I suppose, but not during matches. I think that people would take advantage of that to hum or sing a song to screw someone over. I know I would so why wouldn't anyone else right? Haha.

Shark

Smash Rookie
I'd like to be able to chat with my cousin if I'm playing against him online. I say yes, but give the option of who you want to listen to you, and who you want to listen to.

EDIT: What the...my 1000 post went down to 8? What the hell?

Sensai

Smash Master
rofl...that's weird, Shark. Talk to a mod about it.

People are gonna think you've been here for 5 years and you've posted 8 times, haha.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I don't want to hear you people talk

Hylian Knight

Smash Cadet
if it were a possibility, yes. but on the other side, a lot of little kids will play this franchise, and they usually complain alot like, no fair, you cheating noobs! stuff like that.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Already explained myself before, but, I'll do so again.

No chat. But if you must add chat, make it start as "Off," and in the options turn it On.

Little kids giving personal information is NOT good. There will be these freak people that will ask what's your age, where do you live, what's your phone number, etc. And, this could lead to some major conflict.

I majorly vote no. But, then again, yes is a good thing too.

Top Bottom