• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little piece's of advice

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
these are all just things i think we all need to do more. plus since no one see's these things, mindgames baby

AIR DODGING:

all you falcon mainers are guilty of this and this is a reason you die alot of time. using falcons up b. its not cuz you use it, its cuz you use it unnecessarily. so you use your double jump and your really close to grabbing the edge but you just cant quite make it. so what do you do? you fast fall down and up b to grab the ledge right? dont say no cuz i see it all the time in videos. scar, darkrain too. answer? air dodge. falcons air dodge is great. unlike say the space animals that the airdodge and the drop like a brick. falcons is really good for recovering. i know alot of people are gonna say "duh" but in reality how many people use this during their games? very few.

really good example: @ 1:35 after being hit with doc's f smash and i go off the ledge. how many of you would have up b'd after using your dj? probably all of you, and you know what you probably would have gotten caped or bair'd if you would have up b'd. air dodge. its really useful really fast. just mix it up in to your recovery game. up b isnt your only option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGdNWYMNa-4

oh sexy combo at the end too.

UP-B AS AN OFFENSIVE MOVE:

Gotta thank Mango for this one. basically you up throw your opponent or get them in a position that they have to tech the platform thats above you, via stomp up throw watever. stand right under the middle of the platform. watch their tech, up b. 15% damage. and if you up b them off the stage your set up to edge guard. they cant shield it so basically their screwed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRChlJSfzFE&feature=related

happens in the first few seconds.

another thing with the up b. do it out of your shield! if your being shield pressured like crazy in front of your face if you up b out of it, you should catch them. and boom your free. especially if theres like a platform above where you can land.

RAPTOR BOOST TECH CHASING ON PLATFORMS:

just do it. it covers all the teching options if you time it right. then you can grab down throw, drop through platform u air. or dropzone knee/u air depending on your position on the platform.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Whenever I airdodge people read it and hit me offstage and then I die... so I really don't use it much. idk I think my recovery is pretty okay right now but I'll keep that in mind.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah, I think trying to sweetspot the reverse upB is always a better option than airdodge. It's just given me the best and most consistent results across a wide variety of players/characters/situations.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i watch all of your vids scar and everytime i see you close to the edge i swear i scream airdodge at my computer. and you up b. and you get edge guarded and die. air dodge has no lag if you land on the stage so u can just put your shelid up buffer a roll or run away. i just think its alot better if your closer to the stage then going down and up b'ing

Scar

#HarveyDent
While falling I'm very afraid of ftilt, a LOT of the time you get hit immediately as you fastfall which results in HORRIBLE DI, also I'm afraid of dash attack with no jump, basically guarantees death. CF is combo fodder in general, CF with no jump from anyone's dashA is basically dead.

It's prob just b/c I don't know how to use it correctly though.

debaser

Smash Lord
up b ing from beneath battlefield is too good.

and I agree with a lot of this, people should air dodge more, including me, not all the time, just more. mix it up, throw people off etc.

Scar

#HarveyDent
For Falcon's recovery people just wait for him to upB anyways, airdodge is only good if they expect something fast and attack while you airdodge through it, with Falcon this just isn't something people are going to not expect. Any character can prob ftilt you and kill you from there, that's the thing.

Unless you're talking about airdodging back to the stage b/c it's faster than his upB, which is true and should be done provided you aren't in danger of being edgeguarded, in which case it would prob just be smarter to try to sweetspot the upB.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
if you think about it the air dodge is like his up b except a lot shorter and with invincibility frames. you cant sweet spot his up b anyways. i mean you can come close but you cant truly sweet spot it. unless you do the auto sweet spot at battlefield. which is to hard to do.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Not to mention worthless. However I can and have consistently upB'd under Marth's dtilt, fsmash, Sheik's dsmash... Fox and Falco's dsmashes...

The difference with airdodge is that if I airdodge towards the ledge and am not SIGNIFICANTLY above it, I will fall to my death, never grabbing the ledge. When your invincibility wears off and you fall to the ledge (which you cannot fastfall or you will die), any single hit will leave you far more vulnerable than you were before you airdodged.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i dont think you can consistently up b under andy of those things without the other player making an error. when you up b your on a set trajectory. once you hit up b in a certain direction you have no control over it. its up to the other player to hit you at the perfect time. you cannot mind game them because you arent really doing anything. the up b is doing it itself. im not doubting you or anything but maybe you just get really lucky alot.

im just saying. but i guess its up to you wether you use your airdodge or not. i just think its a really good option instead of just up b'ing

otg

Smash Master
i dont think you can consistently up b under andy of those things without the other player making an error. when you up b your on a set trajectory. once you hit up b in a certain direction you have no control over it. its up to the other player to hit you at the perfect time. you cannot mind game them because you arent really doing anything. the up b is doing it itself. im not doubting you or anything but maybe you just get really lucky alot.

im just saying. but i guess its up to you wether you use your airdodge or not. i just think its a really good option instead of just up b'ing
Agrees, unless your timing is impeccable. You do have some control over DI, but even than with Marth's IASA frames on the Dtilt your asking to get edgeguarded. Scar's just dope evidently.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
yea scars too freakin sexy.

scar get over here, i wanna falcon dittto so bad.

i would probly drop my controller cuz id be sweating balls id be so nervous my hands would shake and blah blah w/e

but yea scar come over and we can like MM to make up for gas money and all that

but thats if you win.

i would send you home with only your watch on.

maybe....

AznLanceLord

Smash Cadet
question about the raptor boost on platforms:

What if a platform is so small and ur opponent is in the middle of the platform and in all likelyhood he might do the attacking animation while getting up? Would this situation ever occur? and then it would be better to shield then...right?

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
question about the raptor boost on platforms:

What if a platform is so small and ur opponent is in the middle of the platform and in all likelyhood he might do the attacking animation while getting up? Would this situation ever occur? and then it would be better to shield then...right?
drop down, up b if its on a lower platform

or ya just shield grab.

of course this situation can occur but i dont think its very likely,

unless they miss the tech, which they shouldnt.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I will be @ Alukard's biweekly tomorrow, it's in NY not too far from PC, you should try to make it there, it's going to be a HUGE tourney.

And IMO fulljump dair is way better than upB when under a platform like that, but upB is interesting. UpB is also useful as a fast move out of shield when you're turned around, and does come out vs fox/falco's utilt pressure according to Magus.

I've tried it and it's worked.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
I will be @ Alukard's biweekly tomorrow, it's in NY not too far from PC, you should try to make it there, it's going to be a HUGE tourney.

And IMO fulljump dair is way better than upB when under a platform like that, but upB is interesting. UpB is also useful as a fast move out of shield when you're turned around, and does come out vs fox/falco's utilt pressure according to Magus.

I've tried it and it's worked.
ill look into that tourney.

everytime i full jump dair and they pop up,

i cant seem to follow up on it, i try to dj ff knee but it never hits

i think if i just u air after the dair without jumping it should hit

Scar

#HarveyDent
Skip it you can play Scar Cactuar Pakman M2K HBK Vanz DJNintendo Reno Hazzard Eggm JMan Wife etc.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I was thinking of going to that tourney, but it seems that I won't be able to. **** having so much work to do!

Top Bottom