• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
He can do a backhand spin. It should have high lag afterwards. Little Mac should be good at pressing the attack, but needs to take a risk when covering his own back.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Indeed Little Mac would be a very good addition to next Smash Bros!
Also I created this:

Also if someone could help me with the text that is pure white for now, that be great! :D

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As long as his moveset makes sense, I would love to see Little Mac. Just as long as he doesn't kick or do stuff that isn't boxing related.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I guess a few kicks here and there wouldn't be a problem. Headbutts......idk, sounds weird.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yea, he has a padded glove. What would he be trying to accomplish by smashing the ground?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Alright. My attempt at a Little Mac moveset.

Little Mac is a light middleweight with no projectile. However, he has the fastest standing dodge and several special tools to interrupt the enemy, get into battle, and save charged smashes for instant delivery. He is best at pressing the attack and suffers lag with his Down Smash and Back Aerial when attempting to fend off enemies. Little Mac also has an unorthodox back throw. Many of his throws allow him to play head-to-head strategy games with the enemy.

While a threat, Little Mac does not have the best jumps or fastest running speed. His forward and back rolls are of average speed and short. Little Mac's true movement strengths are his standing dodge and special dash when mixed with conventional ways of locomotion.

Standard Attacks

A: Punch
A, A: One, Two Punch
Toward A: Right hook, press of A results in follow-up left hook
Down A: Crouches and jabs, can be used repeatedly with press of A
Up A: Bends a knee, curves his back, looks up and does two quick circular punches as if hitting a speed bag. Can be used repeatedly with a press of A to juggle enemies
Running A: A small jolt forward with a punch. On hit, it results in a barrage of punches that sends the opponent slightly upwards. Eats through shields fast. Slight lag if misses.

Down Smash: Rotating backhand. Decent clear move, but comes with the punishment of high lag if missed

Up Smash: Big Uppercut

Forward Smash: Leaps back slightly and follows up with a strong straight punch.

Aerial Attacks

Back Air: C0cks elbow back and then spins backwards with a big punch. Slow startup

Down Air: Does an aerial roll, throwing a punch downwards during the rotation. Decent Meteor.

Up Air: Throws a straight punch upwards causing Little Mac to rise a little bit the first time he uses it

Forward Air: Throws a diagonal punch forward that hits opponents away and slightly downward

Neutral Aerial: Does a push towards closest enemy with both gloves. Causes enemy to reel backwards with arms pinwheeling. Low damage.

Specials

B Mach Jab: Throws an extremely quick punch complete with wind special effects. Has above average hit stun and could cut through projectiles.

However, it loses its potency if used often in a row. Needs a few second to recharge to full potential.

Toward B Dash (Ground): Dashes forward in direction pressed. Goes half the length of Fox Illusion. Distance gets shorter if used often in a row.

Toward B (Air): Dashes forward in direction pressed. Can be used once in air, but keeps his jumps.

Down B Psyche Up: Charges Smash attacks and Up B. Takes twice the amount of time to charge a Smash attack this way than naturally. But the charge is stored, allowing fully powered Smashes to be pulled off when inputted.

Up B Star Uppercut: A flying uppercut that takes Mac on a diagonal track. More powerful than Mario's Up B, but slower startup. If Psyche Up is charged fully, the uppercut causes a star explosion upon contact for extra knock-back.

Throws:

A: Gut Punch

Back Throw: Jumps on top of enemy and starts to punch downwards. Enemy can move at this point and must try to shake Little Mac off. Higher percentage means Little Mac can stay on longer for more beatings. Quickly mashing any button results in quicker punches.

Forward Throw: Little Mac starts to windup a fist. A press of any button will cause him to punch. Longer the windup, the further the enemy goes. However, the enemy can breakout, interrupting the punch.

Down Throw: Knock-Out! Punch to the chin causing the enemy to drop.

Up Throw: Does a squat while lifting the opponent above his head and then machines gun punches upwards sending enemy into the sky after tacking on good damage.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Here is what I would like to see as Little Mac’s moveset.

Mac is a light speedy combo fighter. In boxing terms he would be a swarmer but with a few power punches. He gets in close racks up a lot of damage and then sends them flying. Mac’s flaw is that he has low jumping ability, lightweight (only 107 lbs), and no range attacks. He has good ground speed and his small body makes him harder to hit.

[collapse=Special]
B: Rapid Hooks/uppercuts (Super-Punch Out): A fast pummeling technique where he throws a series of punches to rack up damage. It has a short range though.

Forward B: Charging Punch (Smash Bros. Brawl): He dives forward and leading his fist just like he does in Smash Bros. It isn’t as powerful or has a lot of knock back. Use to get in close where Mac likes to fight. In the air he dives diagonal downward towards the ground.

Up B: Star Uppercut (Most Punch-Out Games): Crouches down for a preparation then shoot up really fast with his uppercut. It is his main recovery and his most powerful specials.

Down B: Stick and Move (All Punch-Out Games): This is a counter attack where Mac steps to the side (similar to a dodge) and then follows up with a quick jab. Instead of knocking them away it stuns them similar to Mewtwo’s attack.

Final Smash: Giga Mac: Yeah it seems logical but seems boring. It is basically a super version of him.

Final Smash (alternate): Clockstop Nightmare: Mac targets an opponent and the screen goes dark. With a zoom in Mac throws a head jab, body blow, head jab, and then unleashes a series up body shots. Then Mac finishes with a powerful uppercut that sends the enemy flying upward. This is a reference to the clock stop glitch and the technique on beating Sandman in the NES Punch Out.

So a combo set up would be Mac close the distance with charging punch, sticks and moves the counter attack, follows up with rapid punches, and finishes with a star uppercut.
[/collapse]

[Collapse=Ground Attacks]
A: Jab
AA: Jab Cross
AAA Combination: Jab, Cross, repeating hooks/uppercuts. It is similar to his B attack but not as fast.
Forward A: Power Hook
Forward Smash: Overhand: Throws a fist in an arch down on the opponent.
Down A: Crouching jab (below the belt punch)
Down Smash: Spinning hook: Ducks and spins throwing a 360 hook.
Down Smash (alternate): Ground Smash: Mac punches the ground sending shockwaves around him.
Up A: Upward Jab: Throws a straight punch in the air.
Up Smash: Jumping Cross: Hops up in the air throwing a straight cross. Just like his up A in the NES Punch Out.
[/collapse]

[Collapse=Aerials]
A: Uppercut
Forward A: Throws a straight punch forward similar to a superman punch.
Up A: Uppercut backflip
Back A: Looks back and throws a straight punch behind him.
Down A: Dive bombs straight down with both fists in front.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Throws]
Grapple: Holds them with both hand like a boxer’s clinch
Pummel: Throws a hook into their side.
Forward Throw: Hold them out with one hand then land a huge haymaker
Back Throw: Throw them behind them to make them stagger then throws a cross.
Up Throw: Crouches then throws an uppercut.
Down Throw: Gutter Punch: Hold them out with one hand. Then throw a punch that starts for the face but sinks down to the gut. The character barrels over onto the ground. The gutter punch is a move from the NES punch out that can be done on a few fighters.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Style]
Entry: A set of rings pops up in the background and Mac steps on through them.
Taunt 1: Looks towards the screen fist pumping both hands in the air. That’s Mac’s traditional victory pose.
Taunt 2: He does a little shadow boxing like he does in Punch Out Wii.
Taunt 3: Holds both hands to the side to give a “Come at me Bro” look.
Victory 1: Walks on up holding his belt showing it everyone.
Victory 2: Doc Louis stands beside him and talks about how great he is.
Victory 3: Shadow boxes a bit and then finishes with one fist in the air.
Lose: Clapping with only his hand wraps on.
[/collapse]

Also, I just free handed most of this this morning. Sorry if I made a few mistakes on this.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I love reading different movesets to see how many different punching attack varieties we can get. So far, we have quite the selection.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is this not on the first page?

"C'mon Mac Baby!"

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's weird... Every time I think about Mac's moveset, I basically end up thinking that it should be almost identical to Marth's except with fists instead of a sword. His uppercut is pretty much a slower version of Marth's Up B, lots of people think he should have a chargeable B move like Marth's neutral B, pretty much everyone thinks he should have a Down B counter... And I think having a multi-step Side B makes a lot of sense for Little Mac.

So... Y'know. Little Mac as a luigified Marth clone, woo! :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am curious why Little Mac does not have as vocal a fanbase as Ridley and K. Rool considering he performs just as well as those two do in Smash 4 polls. You would think with Little Mac being the icon for a very long running Nintendo franchise, that he would have a more vocal fanbase.

Could any passionate Little Mac fans any this, or offer a theory as to why this is the case?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think like for a lot of characters, Lil' Mac's support comes just from the idea of having new franchises represented in Sm4sh. I too don't want him because he's Little Mac, but because I think Punch-Out!! should have a rep in Smash Bros.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think like for a lot of characters, Lil' Mac's support comes just from the idea of having new franchises represented in Sm4sh. I too don't want him because he's Little Mac, but because I think Punch-Out!! should have a rep in Smash Bros.
Fair enough. Like a lot of Nintendo protagonists, he doesn't have nearly as much personality as his enemies. Little Mac represents a longstanding Nintendo franchise and a unique fighting style. It just seems pretty clear that he should and probably will get in... I guess there just isn't much to talk about.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Fair enough. Like a lot of Nintendo protagonists, he doesn't have nearly as much personality as his enemies. Little Mac represents a longstanding Nintendo franchise and a unique fighting style. It just seems pretty clear that he should and probably will get in... I guess there just isn't much to talk about.
Yep. Ridley's support instead, comes from the fact that people would love to play as Ridley (mostly because he would turn to be the most badass character in Smash Bros. ever) and so their support is actually louder.

D

Deleted member

Well, when you got a star of a series with very little arguments against him vs. two villains from two different series with plenty of ongoing, yet idiotic, arguments against them (too big; irrelevant; etc.), there's really not much to be vocal about.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What Golden said.

Most people view Mac as a given, so there's not much reason to be vocal about it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Golden, I think your theory may be the case. Typically female fanbases tend to be very loud and vocal, yet Palutena is by far the most wanted and supported female character, and she has a relatively quiet fanbase. I think Palutena's status as being seen as a very, very likely, is the reason for this.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I do think the biggest thing to talk about with Little Mac isn't the validity of his inclusion or whether he can have a moveset, it's whether he can have an interesting moveset. Nothing that's been posted has been super inspiring... as I've said, he's basically a shorter range Marth as far as how most people envision him. I posted some specials a few pages back, though I don't think anyone commented on them.

Up-B, Star Punch
An uppercut. With or without a charge mechanic, whatever, everyone agrees on an uppercut as his recovery.

Neutral-B, Wind Up
He starts winding up his a powerful punch, except that he can continue moving around freely while charging it and it goes on release of B. Knowing Sakurai, if you keep winding up for too long without letting go he'll hurt his shoulder and stop briefly to rub it.

Side-B, One-Two-Three
A three-hit combo series like Marth's Side-B where the second and third punches change based off of the direction indicated.
First Punch: He lunges forward. Hitting doesn't blast foes and the next attack can't occur if it doesn't hit anything.
Second Punch: Neutral just makes him punch with his other hand. Sideways makes him do another lunge to the side indicated. Up makes him do a gut punch that knocks the foe up slightly. Down makes him do a headbutt that can knock downwards slightly.
Third Punch: Neutral makes him punch straight, knocking the foe sideways. Sideways causes a third, final lunge. Up finishes with a launching uppercut. Down makes him hammer-punch with both of his hands, bringing both of his fists down to spike his enemy.

Down-B, Take The Blow
Little Mac brings both fists up to block oncoming hits coming from in front of him. While most counters automatically strike-back after being activated, Mac would be able to hold it down and keep absorbing blows until he feels like releasing all the blows he's absorbed in one powerful blow. Of course, any smart enemy would stop attacking and just grab him or dodge behind him and keep attack from his unblocked side, but this function could definitely come in handy sometimes.

Can anyone think of anything more interesting and unique for him to do?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I decided to study his assist trophy for any ideas.

His Side B can be a move where he quickly moves ahead with his hand stretched in front, and drags any enemy with him. (Like Fire Wolf)

D

Deleted member

I think Mac should have a "Wild Sense" type move (reference to DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi), in where he braces himself, then starts flashing when he stops bracing and can be controlled as normal.
In the period that he's flashing, he will automatically dodge an attack coming his way, and can counterattack with the press of a button. Once he dodges an attack, he will stop flashing.

Not the best idea, I admit, but it's something different from a typical counter move like Marth/Ike/Lucario, at least.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I find the characters with the biggest threads aren't the popular ones but the controversial ones. Little Mac is viewed as a given with only an unsourced claim that Fighting game characters can't be in Smash. Wonder where that rumor came from.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Here's a fun tidbit:

Hitmonchan, a boxing styled Pokémon, is classified as Pokémon #107 in the original Pokemon Red version and Pokemon Blue version Pokédexes. This may be a nod to Little Mac whose weight is listed as 107 lbs.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
WHOA. I can't help but wonder if that was intentional. That kind of thing is just way too awesome!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
... 107 pounds?! Holy crap, Little Mac IS little. How are people imagining his size comparisons? About as tall as Pit? Is Mac's reach going to be the shortest out any of the human characters?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
... 107 pounds?! Holy crap, Little Mac IS little. How are people imagining his size comparisons? About as tall as Pit? Is Mac's reach going to be the shortest out any of the human characters?
In Brawl, he's around Luigi's height, iirc.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm 5'7" and weigh 125 - 135, and I'm a SMALL person.

He's tiny.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
*Stamps forum with the MaskO'Gears' stamp of approval.*

I love Little Mac! Punch-Out! is one of my fav. games for my VC.

D

Deleted member

Mac grew between his NES outing and Wii game, as he's 5 ft 7 in. there as compared to his previous 4 ft 8 in.

The thing about Little Mac though, is that he's little compared to his opponents who are downright gigantic. So he shouldn't really be little compared to the Smash cast.
Perhaps around Charizard height would be perfect (Since Charizard is the exact same height in canon). Though at the same time, Smash tends to negate canon when it comes to size comparisons, so who knows (and I don't mean in extreme cases such as Olimar).

Top Bottom