• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe he can have both? You know classic Boxing Ring for the starter stage, while the training montage is an unlcokable stage.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, since Mac always manages to put opponents in a daze when he hits them, maybe they could give him some good hitstun jabs?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Good hitstun, nice damage building moves, but some slight troubles in finishing opponents off is a playstyle I'd think suits Mac best.

D

Deleted member

Mac isn't really known for being a powerhouse, so being a faster Ganondorf (which would be broken if not done right) does not make sense.

Yes, he has a few strong hits like the Star Punch, but he is not known for his strength, as it takes quite a few hits to knock down most of his opponents.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really think Little Mac should be a Captain Falcon powerhouse, making him less than a power house seems off. He would be like a faster Ganondorf, only lighter.
Not exactly the best move to make. Around Captain Falcon's power seems about right, in general.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sans the strenght Falcon has on The Knee of Justice or Falcon Punch. Then yeah, that could work.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would like to see Little Mac as a somewhat weak hitter, but combo-racker and also several daze-inducing moves. After all, leaving opponents dizzy is what he does best at his game.
Must also be fast. Perhaps around Sheik fast if not slightly slower.

Naturally I'd love him to have a good finisher move or two, or three. A Marth Up+B move would be awesome with his signature uppercut.

And a counterpunch is a must. Wonder if he'd do well having the usual boxing fighter move where he dodges first, and strikes second. (Valeria from KOF or Dudley from SFIII)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seems like people don't really agree with the style Little Mac should have.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I would like to see Little Mac as a somewhat weak hitter, but combo-racker and also several daze-inducing moves. After all, leaving opponents dizzy is what he does best at his game.
Must also be fast. Perhaps around Sheik fast if not slightly slower.

Naturally I'd love him to have a good finisher move or two, or three. A Marth Up+B move would be awesome with his signature uppercut.

And a counterpunch is a must. Wonder if he'd do well having the usual boxing fighter move where he dodges first, and strikes second. (Valeria from KOF or Dudley from SFIII)
I agree with this idea.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Aw man, playing Punch-Out again since it came out on the Wii U VC makes me even more hyped for Mac in Smash. Such a classic game, man.

I'd also like to say the Punch-Out Miiverse community is filled with "MAC FOR SM4SH!" etc. etc. so I'd say it's not going to go unnoticed either.

Edit: That, and it occured to me that if they're going to keep making the Mother series Japan-only (We got Punch-Out while they got Earthbound), then if Mother gets to have characters in Smash, we'd better get Little Mac. Honestly.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
His assist trophy in Brawl is basically already a character.

He uses an up b, and two other specials.

I think it would be really easy for him to be a new addition, and if he moves the way he does as an assist trophy, that would make him a very unique character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

More recolors by X Naut Shroober!!!

These are some of my favorites!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really like the bottom right one. The colors look like they were actually in Punch-Out.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I LOVE the top-middle one. So much. That's gon' be my color, real talk.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just noticed that the one of the top right is Doc Louis!

Why didn't I notice that before?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Good recolours, but as long as Mac gets the pink hoodie as an alt, I'll be satisfied. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Aw man, playing Punch-Out again since it came out on the Wii U VC makes me even more hyped for Mac in Smash. Such a classic game, man.

I'd also like to say the Punch-Out Miiverse community is filled with "MAC FOR SM4SH!" etc. etc. so I'd say it's not going to go unnoticed either.

Edit: That, and it occured to me that if they're going to keep making the Mother series Japan-only (We got Punch-Out while they got Earthbound), then if Mother gets to have characters in Smash, we'd better get Little Mac. Honestly.
This.

If Japan gets two Mother characters, I hope the West gets one or two Punch-Out!! characters - Little Mac and King Hippo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If only we were equal to Japan... to Japan. :ohwell:
Well, I think the sheer sales numbers should at least give us Mac. Well that, and all the other things he has going for him. (Which is basically everything except Japanese popularity.)

Edit: Considering we're now important enough to get Pokemon at the same time as Japan, I think they'll be giving us more attention for Smash. Just a thought.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, I think the sheer sales numbers should at least give us Mac. Well that, and all the other things he has going for him. (Which is basically everything except Japanese popularity.)

Edit: Considering we're now important enough to get Pokemon at the same time as Japan, I think they'll be giving us more attention for Smash. Just a thought.
Our opinions do matter. A lot of Brawl's characters were popular over here. I think the only exception to this was the lack of Ridley, but there is a reason he got two boss battle.

Japanese popularity is not an issue. He's popular enough here that Japanese fans recognize it. Most of the characters that are popular in Japan are popular here,so there is never that much of an issue. Ridley, Little Mac and Issac are the most popular characters in the US that are not that popular in Japan.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Our opinions do matter. A lot of Brawl's characters were popular over here. I think the only exception to this was the lack of Ridley, but there is a reason he got two boss battle.

Japanese popularity is not an issue. He's popular enough here that Japanese fans recognize it. Most of the characters that are popular in Japan are popular here,so there is never that much of an issue. Ridley, Little Mac and Issac are the most popular characters in the US that are not that popular in Japan.
Heh, that's true enough. It's nice to see that the U.S. and Japanese lists nearly match up on so many points too. Oh, the information age.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Heh, that's true enough. It's nice to see that the U.S. and Japanese lists nearly match up on so many points too. Oh, the information age.
I think the reason is that the character is strong in general, so everyone likes. Differences are strictly cultural.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the reason is that the character is strong in general, so everyone likes. Differences are strictly cultural.
Yeah. Cultural differences. Boxing is more popular in United States... not sure how popular boxing is in Japan but it is not sumo wrestling after all... that probably contributes to the size differences of Punch-Out!! fanbases in both countries.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yeah. Cultural differences. Boxing is more popular in United States... not sure how popular boxing is in Japan but it is not sumo wrestling after all... that probably contributes to the size differences of Punch-Out!! fanbases in both countries.
Little Mac vs. Mallo. :awesome:

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Hajime no Ippo is a well-known boxing manga in Japan. It's not as popular as baseball and sumo wrestling, but it's still popular.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing to remember that regardless of what, cultural barriers are not a problem. it seems like the concern with Little Mac is more along the lines of a move set. He's a boxer, which are by rule not supposed to preform certain actions like tackling and kicking (disregarding the skewed rules from the W.V.B.A.). But I will say that, in my opinion, having something practical over something flashy is better.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think Little Mac should have a counter move.

@Habanero
I remember Kuma had made a moveset for him. Though it's buried somewhere in the Roster Discussion Thread.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I think Little Mac should have a counter move.
What if he had a counter move that worked in a different way than we are used to? Perhaps something like a dodge counter that would build up over time, say for instance that the more consecutive hits mac dodges without countering back with a hit himself the higher the offensive end of the counter will eventually be when he unleashes it. High risk, but high reward, he can rack up dodges while powering up the eventual counter, or flurry depending on what kind of hit it is.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What if he had a counter move that worked in a different way than we are used to? Perhaps something like a dodge counter that would build up over time, say for instance that the more consecutive hits mac dodges without countering back with a hit himself the higher the offensive end of the counter will eventually be when he unleashes it. High risk, but high reward, he can rack up dodges while powering up the eventual counter, or flurry depending on what kind of hit it is.
That's essentially based off of Boxing as a sport. I like that. It definitely adds more to his character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
One thing to remember that regardless of what, cultural barriers are not a problem. it seems like the concern with Little Mac is more along the lines of a move set. He's a boxer, which are by rule not supposed to preform certain actions like tackling and kicking (disregarding the skewed rules from the W.V.B.A.). But I will say that, in my opinion, having something practical over something flashy is better.

Well.. if his dash attack is anything like Ippo's "Gazelle Punch" (he sprints forward, ducks and performs a gut-uppercut) I say it would work. It wouldn't have knockback, but it would "faint" the opponent in place for a followup move. (Unless it's too B-tilt-ish)

He won't need kicking. The only move that I fear (that would usually require kicking) is his Dsmash. But we've had characters with single-sided Dsmashes in the past (ZSS/Mewtwo) so it wouldn't be a problem to have a super strong low punch, IMO.

Top Bottom