• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
At this point, I think he's a shoe-in. Iconic, been in multiple Nintendo-only games, bring in a new real-world fighting style... Maybe his moves won't be as flashy as those of most characters, but he's drawing from a rich tradition so he shouldn't be lacking.

I do frankly just see him having a moveset very similar to Marth's, except short range, weaker, and faster.

Up-B, Star Punch
An uppercut. With or without a charge mechanic, whatever, everyone agrees on an uppercut as his recovery.

Neutral-B, Wind Up
He starts winding up his a powerful punch, except that he can continue moving around freely while charging it and it goes on release of B. Knowing Sakurai, if you keep winding up for too long without letting go he'll hurt his shoulder and stop briefly to rub it.

Side-B, One-Two-Three
A three-hit combo series like Marth's Side-B where the second and third punches change based off of the direction indicated.
First Punch: He lunges forward. Hitting doesn't blast foes and the next attack can't occur if it doesn't hit anything.
Second Punch: Neutral just makes him punch with his other hand. Sideways makes him do another lunge to the side indicated. Up makes him do a gut punch that knocks the foe up slightly. Down makes him do a headbutt that can knock downwards slightly.
Third Punch: Neutral makes him punch straight, knocking the foe sideways. Sideways causes a third, final lunge. Up finishes with a launching uppercut. Down makes him hammer-punch with both of his hands, bringing both of his fists down to spike his enemy.

Down-B, Take The Blow
Little Mac brings both fists up to block oncoming hits coming from in front of him. While most counters automatically strike-back after being activated, Mac would be able to hold it down and keep absorbing blows until he feels like releasing all the blows he's absorbed in one powerful blow. Of course, any smart enemy would stop attacking and just grab him or dodge behind him and keep attack from his unblocked side, but this function could definitely come in handy sometimes.

Intelligence!

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I've got to agree. Mac should have been playable in Brawl rather than being a simple assist trophy. Him, Geno, and Ghirahim in SSB4 is all I ask.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, I've got to agree. Mac should have been playable in Brawl rather than being a simple assist trophy. Him, Geno, and Ghirahim in SSB4 is all I ask.
Please don't post in that color text ever again. Why is that even a choice? It's literally unreadable.

Intelligence!

Smash Rookie
Please don't post in that color text ever again. Why is that even a choice? It's literally unreadable.
I was wondering if it would work myself. It was a hex color, and that post was mostly to test whether or not it would be legible. Clearly, it was not.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
If Doc Louis doesn't give advice, I would love to see him be like the Pokemon Trainer and always be rooting for you in the background.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Some people might not like that because it would "complicate" Little Mac's simplistic character. Having Doc come out on the inevitable Boxing Ring stage or as part of a victory pose, on the other hand, might satisfy them a bit more.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac, my most wanted character.
wanted him in brawl, and now that he's had a new game he deserves to be in even more.

And I dislike it when people say he's just a punching guy that's too generic and he wouldnt have any moves.
I mean look at Marth, his moveset is just standard sword use thats pretty basic and nothing flashy but that doesnt mean he's a bad character at all.
I'm sure they could make Mac a great character too. And to me, Mac is a bigger priority than Ryu.

I just want a brute force character with a more simplistic playstyle that doesnt have to be a huge heavyweight, and Little Mac would be great for this.

(Nice moveset btw, qdMbp)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Will anybody ever make a moveset where the Down B isn't a counter?
The OP. :p

B-Down: Psyche Up (Super Punch Out/Punch Out Wii)
-->This move makes Little Mac psyche himself up to recover damage. 1% is healed every second while this move is being used.

The 1% per second now seems useless after trying Ivysaur in Project M.It should be 2% per second now that I think of it.

Big Mac

Banned via Warnings
Doc Louis should be like the MGS/Starfox taunts, definitely. You do a smash taunt on Mac's boxing ring stage while playing as him, then Doc gives you a pep talk on your opponent.

The stage in general has a lot of potential if the other boxers are hazards. Though then again, we're still waiting for a Mt. Dedede stage for Kirby since Kirby only got a measly single stage in Brawl. That'd cause some overlap. We might end up getting the "training montage" as a scrolling stage instead with Doc as a more simplistic hazard on his bike.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Will anybody ever make a moveset where the Down B isn't a counter?
The thing is, though, that it is perfectly logical for Mac to have a counter attack, considering it is a huge part of Punch-Out!!'s gameplay. Just my opinion.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
His neutral b, like stated above for the wind up punch, should be less like donkey kongs than that sounded. He should wind up, but gain a star after like 3 seconds and at 3 stars be fully charged.

:phone:

TheCreator

Smash Lord
The retro discussion could go for him, the fact that he recently got into brawl as an AT then after that got a new retro revival, then the new for new series representation makes him a pretty shoe in.

Bumping because I was about to post this in the other thread but it got locked lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a partial moveset I made a while back. Complete with pics made by a friend of mine. It only has special moves and a final smash but I thought it was worth posting.

NOTICE! Little Mac will rely on getting stars for a certain move. The amount of stars he has will be shown near his damage counter.
Neutral B: Little Mac will attack with a quick barrage of lightning fast punches. This attack has a chance of causing a dizzy state. Every time Little Mac lands this attack he gets a star.

Side B: Little Mac takes out Aran Ryan's boxing glove on a string and swings it around his head like a lasso as long as he holds the button. Any players caught in the lasso will get hurt. Once the button is released, he will throw it. Holding the button down doesn't not make the attack stronger though.

Up B: Little Mac will perform a rising uppercut that will spiral him upwards. The more stars Little Mac currently has, the more powerful the attack will be. Little Mac will also go higher.

Down B: Little Mac will put his gloves in front of his face to guard. If the opponent hits him, Little Mac will dogde and counterattack. This attack will also give Little Mac a star.

Final Smash: Doc Louis will appear on the stage and will drop his chocolate bar. Doc will then rip off his red jersey and reveal his leopard print suit. He will then go on a small rampage and will act independently from Little Mac. Doc will target anyone who gets close. Little Mac can throw or knock opponents into Doc to ensure they get hurt!

Images made by Pwnagemaster67

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lol I don't like the aran ryan part, and I think the final smash should be giga mac.

I didn't make it Giga Mac because I didn't want another transformation Final Smash.

D

Deleted member

Oh noes, Mac transforms. Whatever shall we do?

Make it not like Giga Bowser or Wario-Man. Make it to where the transformation is essentially an assault.
Like say, Mac punches his opponent to initiate the FS. If it hits, Giga Mac Juice will be taken from the opponent into Mac, which just so happens to be enough to make him turn into Giga Mac. Once Giga Mac, he just POUNDS on the opponent while they can't do anything about it (Roid Rage :troll:). Then he finishes the opponent off with one final blow, causing the Giga Mac Juice to be worked out of Mac's system, turning him back to normal.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i actually would rather his Final Smash be some kind of big combo like finisher. similar to how Links is currently but with punches obviously. with the whole thing ending with a big Star Punch

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
i actually would rather his Final Smash be some kind of big combo like finisher. similar to how Links is currently but with punches obviously. with the whole thing ending with a big Star Punch
Yea im in agreement with this one, i had always thrown around the idea that perhaps he would create a zone around himself (it would look like heat shimmering off of him) and whoever is caught in that radius will have a star appear over their head. Which would pretty much seal their fate as mac would zip to each one of them and uppercut them to the heavens in a big and spectacular fashion with cameras flashing the whole time.

I dont mind the giga mac transformation if its handled differently than all the other transformations (i dont want to have to chase people down while being slow for my kills) but id just rather see something a bit different for him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yea im in agreement with this one, i had always thrown around the idea that perhaps he would create a zone around himself (it would look like heat shimmering off of him) and whoever is caught in that radius will have a star appear over their head. Which would pretty much seal their fate as mac would zip to each one of them and uppercut them to the heavens in a big and spectacular fashion with cameras flashing the whole time.

I dont mind the giga mac transformation if its handled differently than all the other transformations (i dont want to have to chase people down while being slow for my kills) but id just rather see something a bit different for him.

I like this idea too. But Giga Mac wouldn't have to be slow. He could be just as fast as his Little counterpart. Except with much larger hitboxes and much higher knockback and damage.

But a combo attack, such as a Dempsey Roll for example, would be amazing to have as a FS.

(Another use for a Giga Mac transformation would be through an invisible meter such as the Wario Waft, but I rather have it as a FS or not have it at all)

Anonymous777

Smash Rookie
I wanted Mac in ssbb so i hope he makes it in this time. He should play like a real boxer. Strong and quick but light because hes a lightweight. His down b should be ''slipping'' attacks like a pressure boxer. Its quicker than his rolling dodges(and can be used alongside his rolling dodges if they have similar animations for mind games) and you can follow up with neutral b for a 2 hit punch combo or slip to the other side of your opponent(in close quarters combat) by pressing down b again. By repeatedly pressing down b Mac can slip to both sides of the opponent several times because this move should auto target. He should also be able to grab from this move. Down b should only do the slip animation, so whatever Mac decides to follow up with between the 2 punch combo, grab or another slip is up to you. The slip should also be chainable for shield pressure meaning Mac can slip to 2 punch combo which gets blocked so he immediately slips again to the other side of the opponent for a grab or another 2 punch combo. His slips should be as fast as Metaknight's rolling dodges but smaller distances and because he can immediately slip again he can apply more pressure to shields and defensive players. So to conclude, this move punishes people with slow reaction times because the slip is incredibly quick. I dont know if you guys played tvc but it should work like tekkaman blade's attack where he blindingly dashes to the other side while his sword follows so you must block in the opposite direction quickly if you didnt punish him dashing in. To punish this attack you can grab him in the middle of a slip since he has to wait for the animation to finish(which should be lightning quick, lasting 1/3 of a second) before he can follow up applying pressure. Since its a slip it shouldnt be punishable to attacks but grabs should work.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I prefer this over Giga Mac. I never liked the idea of him even in the Punch Out game. Maybe because it reminds me of someone using steroids.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I posted the others. I might as well post the last one! Enjoy! Please fix the spoiler tags soon!

Welcome to my series of potential character essays. Ever hear a character suggestion for SSB4 and think "Who the heck is this guy?" These essays are for you. These essays will go over the history of the character, the abilities of the character, arguments for and against the character and finally a potential move set. I hope to introduce people to likely newcomers to SSB4 and to help people learn a bit more about characters they already knew. So let's get into the fray! Feel free to comment or even suggest characters if you like. I'm open to suggestions as long as I have time to write.

Essay 4:

Name: Little Mac

Series: Punch-Out!!
First Appearance: Punch-Out!! (1987)

Character Biography:
Before Punch-Out!! takes place, Little Mac meets former Boxing Champion Doc Louis. Little Mac convinces Doc to train him to become the next Boxing champ. Doc agrees and the two train together.
Doc was probably paid in chocolate!

In Punch-Out!! for the NES, Little Mac works his way up through the WVBA (World Video Boxing Association), defeats Mr. Dream / Mike Tyson and becomes the champ!
Like a 8-bit boss!

In Super Punch Out!!, Little Mac works his way through the WVBA, and becomes the champ.

In Punch Out!! for Wii, Little Mac works his way through the WVBA, defeats The Sandman and becomes the champ. HOWEVER, once Little Mac becomes the champ he fights to defend his title. After defending his title for so long, Little Mac decides that after three more losses he will retire from Boxing. Punch Out!! for Wii ends with Doc walking through a museum built in Little Mac's honor.
The face of a great figure in history! Oh, and Little Mac too.

Well this biography is much shorter than the previous ones. It just goes to show that Punch Out!! doesn't have much plot.

Game Appearances:
Punch Out!!!/ Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!/ Punch Out!! featuring Mr. Dream (Main Playable Character)
Super Punch Out!!! (Main Playable Character)
WarioWare: Mega Microgame$ (Cameo)
WarioWare: Mega Party Game$ (Cameo)
Final Night Round 2 (Guest Character)
WarioWare: Touched (Cameo)
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Cameo)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Assist Trophy and Trophy)
Captain Rainbow (NPC)
Punch Out!! (Wii) (Main Playable Character)
Doc Louis' Punch Out!! (Main Playable Character)
Little Mac has been playable five times as of now.

Abilities:
He punches things. Lol. End of essay!

You still here? Good.

There's a lot more to Little Mac than just punching things.

As a professional boxer, Little Mac is skilled at well...boxing!
No wonder it's called Punch Out!!

He can execute lightning fast jabs and hooks with both arms. He can also block although it doesn't do much. He will also expertly dodge any attack. He is also an expert on reading his opponents. Little Mac often relies on attacking in the brief moments where enemies leave himself open.

Little Mac has learned a powerful technique from Doc Louis. The Star Uppercut. When hitting his opponent at the right time, Little Mac will earn himself a star. Little Mac can have three stars maximum. The star uppercut requires at least one star to use but will get more powerful with each star owned (Even resulting in an instant KO at times).

Little Mac can transform into the almighty Giga Mac! In this form he gains boosted speed and power.
Cause Big Mac was already taken.

Debate:

Reasons Why Little Mac Should Be In:
1. He's extremely popular in the west: People have wanted him in since forever! Little Mac even had supporters since the Pre-melee days! People REALLY want him in. Even the Japanese fanbase knows the west wants Little Mac,

Everyone loves me!

2.He would represent a new series: Punch Out is a successful series that has made quite a bit of money. Why not represent the series?

3. He could have a very interesting moveset: A boxer would be pretty awesome. Gotta admit that. (Weak I know. Suggest a good one!)

Reasons Why Little Mac Should Not Be In:

1. ALL HE CAN DO IS PUNCH!!! LOL: Although it's not actually true, like the Ridley is too big argument, it continues to persist and hinders Mac's chances.

"I...I can still punch better than you!"

2,Punch Out!! isn't a very big series: It isn't. Especially compared to Mario and Zelda. And since it is no longer retro. It doesn't have as much of a chance.

3. Japan doesn't want him: While Japan rather likes Little Mac and the Punch Out!! series, they don't really want him in smash bros and can't understand why the west wants him in.

Possible Moveset:
Disclaimer! This moveset is an example and will need changing in the future. Please suggest improvements. Thanks to Bluelore for helping me with the moveset! :D

NOTICE! Little Mac will rely on getting stars for a certain move. The amount of stars he has will be shown near his damage counter.
Neutral B: Little Mac will attack with a quick barrage of lightning fast punches. This attack has a chance of causing a dizzy state. Every time Little Mac lands this attack he gets a star.

Side B: Little Mac takes out Aran Ryan's boxing glove on a string and swings it around his head like a lasso as long as he holds the button. Any players caught in the lasso will get hurt. Once the button is released, he will throw it. Holding the button down doesn't not make the attack stronger though.

Up B: Little Mac will perform a rising uppercut that will spiral him upwards. The more stars Little Mac currently has, the more powerful the attack will be. Little Mac will also go higher.

Down B: Little Mac will put his gloves in front of his face to guard. If the opponent hits him, Little Mac will dogde and counterattack. This attack will also give Little Mac a star.

Final Smash: Doc Louis will appear on the stage and will drop his chocolate bar. Doc will then rip off his red jersey and reveal his leopard print suit. He will then go on a small rampage and will act independently from Little Mac. Doc will target anyone who gets close. Little Mac can throw or knock opponents into Doc to ensure they get hurt!

Images made by Pwnagemaster67

Codec Call!
Mei-Ling: "Hey Snake. Have you ever heard that 'Big things come in small packages'"?
Snake: "Yeah. But that's not a Chinese Proverb."
Mei-Ling: "I know, but seeing Little Mac really reminds me of that saying. He's gone through impossible odds to achieve his dream of becoming champion of the World Video Boxing Association. He constantly faced bigger and stronger opponents. And he still came on top. I can't help but feel happy that the underdog won you know? "
Snake: "Fighting requires skill and timing. If he has both of those, he'll be more than enough for any opponent. Besides, size doesn't matter on the battlefield."
Mei-Ling: "*Snicker* Keep telling yourself that Snake."
Snake: "..."

That kind African American man has borrowed my bicycle.

I hope you enjoyed this essay. I hope I can write another one soon. Please say what you think. Are there more reasons why Little Mac should or should not be in? Did you learn something about him? Did you come up with a great moveset? Did you enjoy the essay? Comment away!

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
That's a mighty fine post you have there.

The Aran Ryan move got me thinking, what if all his moves were based on the boxers in punch out?
Like what if he had a Bald Bull type charge, or a Great Tiger teleport punch
(think kinda like meta knight's down B or something)
Just a thought. As the opponents in punch-out are iconic as well.

And yeah I never really considered that Japan probably doesnt care for Mac/punch-out.
I mean the whole game series is pretty much just the story of an average american dude beating the crap out of ridiculous stereotypes from other countries, but thats a reason why I love it so much lol. Its so over the top.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
There should be a move where he punches and it puts the opponent in a dazed state like when you break a sheild.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No offense, but I was more thinking of the 3-Star Punch for Little Mac's Final Smash, since it's his strongest move in single player.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No offense, but I was more thinking of the 3-Star Punch for Little Mac's Final Smash, since it's his strongest move in single player.
Why would I be offended? We just have different opinions.

There should be a move where he punches and it puts the opponent in a dazed state like when you break a sheild.
His neutral B has a chance to do that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The Aran Ryan move got me thinking, what if all his moves were based on the boxers in punch out?
Can't say I'd like that. I'd rather Mac have a more orthodox boxing style than something flashy. I like the post about Mac being a pressure character, constantly on his foe's face until he finds an opening, like a real in-fighter.

How's weaving or ducking for a down B instead of a counter? If you successfully dodge an attack with it, you could follow up with a one-two or body blows, like in Punch Out. A parry could work too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Little Mac should basically be a Marth, only the boxing gloves are the sharp point to using his full power.
It's pretty easy to imagine.

Mac is basically a risky fighter.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only thing similar to Marth I see in Little Mac's moveset is his Down B. And even that could be loosely inspired on Marth's. And could work quite differently in the end. Maybe Little Mac would actually take damage in his counter? And is Lucario suddenly a Marth clone to now cause of his Down B? Didn't think so either. :rolleyes:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Only thing similar to Marth I see in Little Mac's moveset is his Down B. And even that could be loosely inspired on Marth's. And could work quite differently in the end. Maybe Little Mac would actually take damage in his counter? And is Lucario suddenly a Marth clone to now cause of his Down B? Didn't think so either. :rolleyes:
Marth is mostly a melee fighter and speedy too, Little Mac is one too.
Little Mac could have the same attributes as Captain Falcon.
All of his moves could have small hitboxes, but very powerful, a risky fighter.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't want him to be very powerful, I want him to be Average Joe in everything.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm sure I've said this before but I wonder what his stage will be like. I have two ideas. You have either the stadium, or the training gym.

The Stadium

Is basically a boxing ring with lights and a crowd cheering around. The ring ropes will be springy to hold fighters in and you can jump off of them for extra aerial heights. That's pretty basic and would be pretty much like a final destination stage. You could add effects that if no one fights for awhile the audience will start throwing items in the ring that does damage.

Training Gym
Less glamorous but more interesting in the fact that there is more things to interact with. You'll have a mini-ring but you'll also have a punching bag which you can knock into your opponent, weights that can be thrown, multiple platforms to use.

Top Bottom