• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed. In his trailer, when it's proven that the Punch is mightier than the sword, Mac uses an uppercut that interrupt's Link's Spin Attack.
But he lunges over first.
An U-Smash...that sends you forward a long distance?

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I just noticed. In his trailer, when it's proven that the Punch is mightier than the sword, Mac uses an uppercut that interrupt's Link's Spin Attack.
"Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away."

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I noticed that Mac switches to a hitman/flicker stance during his idle animation in this direct. I thought that was really cool.

And then I realized, he could have potentially been the first stance character in Smash, and now I'm sad it didn't happen. Would have preferred that over his "OVERPOWERED ON GROUND, UNDERPOWERED ON AIR" approach in his design.

Last edited:

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
"Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away."
I know, but that's quite a long distance to move.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Don't forget that Link's spin attack, in Brawl at least, has 2 hitboxes (that hit both ways). The initial one, and the one at the end.
Little Mac simply took advantage, from my perspective, to the gap between the two hitboxes to make his move.

At least that's why it made sense to me.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that Link's spin attack, in Brawl at least, has 2 hitboxes (that hit both ways). The initial one, and the one at the end.
Little Mac simply took advantage, from my perspective, to the gap between the two hitboxes to make his move.

At least that's why it made sense to me.
I'm thinking more along the lines of the fact that he dashes before using it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just can't believe they didn't make any reference to the Star Uppercut in any form within his moveset, not even his Up-Special.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I just can't believe they didn't make any reference to the Star Uppercut in any form within his moveset, not even his Up-Special.
Sir, I am very tempted to make a second account just to like this twice. That has been my main gripe with Mac. He was my most wanted character. I mean when people were making movesets on this site, did you EVER see a moveset without the Star Punch? I never did.
The Star Punch and Stun Punch were his signature moves, but neither of them are present.
Hopefully, the Star Punch is a custom move that can take the place of the KO Uppercut.
Maybe you have to charge it by interrupting attacks and using your counter. 3 interrupts/counters gets One Star. Three Stars is a guaranteed KO, but you can use it at One or Two Stars for less damage and knockback, but still with decent power.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
How exactly is this character bad in the air when he has two special moves that help him with recovery and a potential meteor in his D-air?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
How exactly is this character bad in the air when he has two special moves that help him with recovery and a potential meteor in his D-air?
Well, we've seen already that his air game seems to be lacking any real sense of power to it so there's that. As for the recovery thing, first off it puts Mac into a predictable category. He has two avenues to get back to the stage, either Side B about stage height (especially if he enters free fall after) or Up B directly under the ledge. These two attacks have predictable angles as well, one goes to the side with a small hop 100% of the time, and the other goes directly up 100% of the time, so it's easy to know what avenues to cover and punish.

Even at best, he might not be bad in the air, but I think it goes without saying he will almost never want to go into the air.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Well, we've seen already that his air game seems to be lacking any real sense of power to it so there's that. As for the recovery thing, first off it puts Mac into a predictable category. He has two avenues to get back to the stage, either Side B about stage height (especially if he enters free fall after) or Up B directly under the ledge. These two attacks have predictable angles as well, one goes to the side with a small hop 100% of the time, and the other goes directly up 100% of the time, so it's easy to know what avenues to cover and punish.

Even at best, he might not be bad in the air, but I think it goes without saying he will almost never want to go into the air.
His aerial attacks look absolutely pitiful. Like, glancing blows level of terrible.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Personally I'm completely fine with the lack of the star punch, 3/5 of the punch-out games have used the KO bar and the fact that he was confirmed on the 30th anniversary of punch-out arcade makes it a fitting homage.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Personally I'm completely fine with the lack of the star punch, 3/5 of the punch-out games have used the KO bar and the fact that he was confirmed on the 30th anniversary of punch-out arcade makes it a fitting homage.
To be honest, I would've wanted both the Star Punch AND The KO meter.

Heck, also the rapid punch from Super Punch Out Snes.

But... eh. If it was between this and no Little Mac, I tightly clench into what we got.
I do like how they heavily aknowledge the arcade games, though. They are pretty underrated. I hope this means Nintendo will release them on the eShops at some point.

If anything, the ammount of representation goes as this:

Wii (model, Doc Louis model, some animations, size, Giga Mac, etc)
Arcade (alt. costume, KO meter, drawing, etc)
Nes (I guess the music originated here, and the one that played is not from the Wii version.. also... did I hear NES sound effects?)
Snes (nothing)

But, I'm really happy with what we got. We all pictured our ideal Little Macs, but I'm glad he's in.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I recently obtained a copy of Punch Out!! for the Wii. This is my first Punch Out!! game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I did mean to get this game a long time ago, but I forgot. And kept forgetting. Little Mac's inclusion in SSB4 was a good way to get me to remember. The characters are fun and the gameplay is terrific. I love using the Wiimote and nunchuck. I have high hopes for a sequel that will involve Wii motion Plus. The way it was utilized in Skyward Sword was fantastic, and I think that a Punch Out!! title would be a perfect use Motion Plus. It would be great; instead of holding up and swinging the controller to do a high punch you could actually punch high. It would also make blocking and hitting just more natural overall.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I recently obtained a copy of Punch Out!! for the Wii. This is my first Punch Out!! game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I did mean to get this game a long time ago, but I forgot. And kept forgetting. Little Mac's inclusion in SSB4 was a good way to get me to remember. The characters are fun and the gameplay is terrific. I love using the Wiimote and nunchuck. I have high hopes for a sequel that will involve Wii motion Plus. The way it was utilized in Skyward Sword was fantastic, and I think that a Punch Out!! title would be a perfect use Motion Plus. It would be great; instead of holding up and swinging the controller to do a high punch you could actually punch high. It would also make blocking and hitting just more natural overall.
Personally I prefer the more traditional control scheme, I tried the wii remote and nunchuck and i just couldn't get used to it. I recommend you try the older punch-out games, Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out for NES/SNES are are available on the Wii U and 3DS eshops (SPO is Wii U only though.) You might find them a bit primitive compared to the Wii game, but they should be good if you finish the game and want more like it.

Unfortunately they haven't ported the first two arcade games to any current systems, so if they ever do I'd recommend you give them a try, but I must warn you and anyone else, they're much harder than the other games. The controls are much less fluid and every punch is a much bigger risk. Blocking works differently, rather than holding up to block up and releasing it to block the body, you have to press up to block up and then press down again to block down. While you're in upper block mode you throw head hits and in body-block mode you throw body blows. Dodging is much harder to time too, you really have to learn how to block punches to get by in these ones.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
It might not be 100% correct but I made them all using other characters, so no size is a gues or speculation
little amc.png

I already noticed mario and DEDEDE are totaly wrong.. Just look at lucario and left of him, those are probably right

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm I was just thinking that MAYBE Little Mac could still get a recolor based on Super Punch Out! boxer.
It's a shame that we probably won't see him in the Pink Jumpsuit though. XD
But it'll probably be worked into his intro or something. Hopefully!

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
I guess little Mac will jog in and swing off his jumpsuit in a way he did in the trailer, that would be awesome at least, or him going through some ropes that spawn, but that would work a bit weird.
Most awesome would of course be a secret intro only on the boxing ring stage where he would roll under the ropes (like in punch out wii) and doc louis is there the entire fight. and the rest of the stages is just Little Mac and the jumpsuit intro

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would like to know whhy Nintendo still hasn't ported the Arcade games to either of their current systems.

The Punch Out arcade were dual screen arcades. And both systems out have exactly that. TWO screens.
One of them even has 3D! I can't imagine a more thrilling experience than dodging Bald Bull's punches in freaking 3D.

So why is it that Nintendo still hasn't dropped the arcades (or screw that... every single Punch Out title) on the 3DS / Wii U?

Hope Little Mac's inclusion in SSB4 pushes the demand for them a little. I know Punch Out FtMr.D is usualy a launch VC title for any system. And Super Punch Out comes much later. But I think it's time to step it up a notch.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What is your take on the wireframe costume, will you use it, and so will you use it a lot or just for fun?
Was it a smart idea?
I'll probably end up using it along with every single recolor Little Mac has to offer.
Not sure on what particular occassion to use it yet, I guess when I feel like it. :p

Really crossing my fingers for a Super Punch Out color scheme. :)

My favorite will probably be the default color, and the champ color.

D

Deleted member

What is your take on the wireframe costume, will you use it, and so will you use it a lot or just for fun?
Was it a smart idea?
I'll probably use it just for fun. The Wireframe costume is cool, but seeing yourself might be hard in battle for when you use it.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
I'll probably end up using it along with every single recolor Little Mac has to offer.
Not sure on what particular occassion to use it yet, I guess when I feel like it. :p

Really crossing my fingers for a Super Punch Out color scheme. :)

My favorite will probably be the default color, and the champ color.
I'm the same on the wireframe subject i think:)

Personally I'm more hoping for a color that's like a normal little mac except red instead of green, and a wireframe costume that looks like my avatar.

I always play my characters red:p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm the same on the wireframe subject i think:)

Personally I'm more hoping for a color that's like a normal little mac except red instead of green, and a wireframe costume that looks like my avatar.

I always play my characters red:p
I usually stick to a particular color for a particular version of Smash Bros.

For example:

SSB: Defaults (no team battles here)
SSBM: Blue
SSBB: Red
P:M: Red
SSB4: I'm most likely going to be Green again.

I do this so I get less confused when I play as the same character (Samus) in every version, so I automatically remember the differences.
I'd like to play as Green Little Mac, and green Megaman (Quint)

-

I REALLY hope we get to see Doc Louis somehow. Maybe even as an Assist Trophy.

Morbi

Scavenger

For example:

I do this so I get less confused when I play as the same character (Samus) in every version, so I automatically remember the differences.

-

That is fairly ingenious. I just alternate between every couple of matches... lol.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch

For example:

-

That's very smart!
I might start doing that as well.

Doc Louis would be awesome to have. From what we have seen he is not in it alongside with Little Mac at all, but that could, of course, still change.
I would like a cameo on the Punch Out stage of Doc Louis, or maybe even his intro
Or how about his victory animations, like in Punch Out Wii!. Perhaps even codecs?
I think there are LOTS of ways they could bring him in, even if it's just a small nod to him.

And an assist trophy would work pretty fine as well, but for that I prefer King Hippo.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
Also, does anyone have any idea what potential Punch-Out items could be? I can think of nothing except maybe Aran Ryan's boxing glove on a rope, which is not a good idea for an item if you ask me.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
Also, does anyone have any idea what potential Punch-Out items could be? I can think of nothing except maybe Aran Ryan's boxing glove on a rope, which is not a good idea for an item if you ask me.
Though unlikely... It would be so awesome if there was Soda Popinski's Soda, which would give you a short power boost and some % cut off. That's something we have yet to see in smash.

Top Bottom