• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I think, given all the previous talk of "clean fighting," Little Mac shouldn't be able to pick up items. Still able to go Metal Mac, but can't use a laser gun.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think, given all the previous talk of "clean fighting," Little Mac shouldn't be able to pick up items. Still able to go Metal Mac, but can't use a laser gun.

If we're going technical, grabbing items is part of the SSB ruleset... At least if the player turns the option on. Otherwise, Pokemon shouldn't be able to throw other Pokemon to fight for them. XD

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It would be interesting, but honestly Mac should be allowed to do everything that a normal Smash fighter can do (as in grab and pick up items).
He would be at a major disadvantage if he didn't.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It would be interesting, but honestly Mac should be allowed to do everything that a normal Smash fighter can do (as in grab and pick up items).
He would be at a major disadvantage if he didn't.
True that.

What does anyone think of having a move set with specials based on fighters from the series?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If we're going technical, grabbing items is part of the SSB ruleset... At least if the player turns the option on. Otherwise, Pokemon shouldn't be able to throw other Pokemon to fight for them. XD
True, but then so are grappling moves, and anything that isn't a gun that fires bullets (unless it's 8-bit, in which case even that is legal), and we agreed that he wouldn't do the former. He could be operating under a self imposed ruleset.
On a related note, maybe he can't because boxing gloves aren't (laser) gun-operation friendly.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
True, but then so are grappling moves, and anything that isn't a gun that fires bullets (unless it's 8-bit, in which case even that is legal), and we agreed that he wouldn't do the former. He could be operating under a self imposed ruleset.
On a related note, maybe he can't because boxing gloves aren't (laser) gun-operation friendly.

The grappling can be executed in two ways.

The first one, is to clench. Which is perfectly legal in boxing (although frowned upon by the judges, if I'm not mistaken).
The second one is to have a custom grab animation, just like Snake had his exclusive choke grab from behind, Little Mac could have a grab animation where HE is getting grabbed by the opponent (in a different way so the players aren't confused). So it's technically a grab from Little Mac, but the animation tells the eyes of the players that the one getting grabbed is Mac. The follow up animation (side, up, down, or pummel) would consist of Mac "breaking free".

As for the weapons such as guns... I see no offense in them. King Dedede has mitts and he can still pull a trigger. Or Ivysaur's vines, for example. Even characters like Pichu with extremely short limbs have found away around grabbing a weapon, so Little Mac's offense would be extremely minor when compared to those. :p

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
The grappling can be executed in two ways.

The first one, is to clench. Which is perfectly legal in boxing (although frowned upon by the judges, if I'm not mistaken).
The second one is to have a custom grab animation, just like Snake had his exclusive choke grab from behind, Little Mac could have a grab animation where HE is getting grabbed by the opponent (in a different way so the players aren't confused). So it's technically a grab from Little Mac, but the animation tells the eyes of the players that the one getting grabbed is Mac. The follow up animation (side, up, down, or pummel) would consist of Mac "breaking free".

As for the weapons such as guns... I see no offense in them. King Dedede has mitts and he can still pull a trigger. Or Ivysaur's vines, for example. Even characters like Pichu with extremely short limbs have found away around grabbing a weapon, so Little Mac's offense would be extremely minor when compared to those. :p
I actually preferred the stun punch grab, but a clench seems fine.
On a side note, I see we were raided by the Morbidly Altruistic Like-Bot

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had the idea that his B-Down be a counter but instead of a Fire Emblem damage scaling one it would be Mac dodging and delivering a quick punch to stun his foe, leaving them open to attacks.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well assist trophys are confirmed again so if little mac is on screen with no warning challenger approaching banner were screwed hes not playable again

D

Deleted member

Well assist trophys are confirmed again so if little mac is on screen with no warning challenger approaching banner were screwed hes not playable again
I'm confident that Little Mac will prevail. With what has been shown so far with that stage and the fact that Little Mac is highly wanted in the west, I think that Sakurai will add him on the roster.
If he's an Assist Trophy again, I will feel immense sadness...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
While I do not understand the fascination for Little Mac as a player, I think it would be a mistake for Sakurai to show him as an AT. There is a passionate and massive fanbase for the little guy, and an AT reveal could be a big turn-off for interest in the games. If Little Mac is an AT, Sakurai should be mum about it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Which is a good thing. I do not think adding a character that only punches and dodges is a positive. Basically, it is saying Little Mac adds variety because there is no extremely boring character in the roster yet.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Which is a good thing. I do not think adding a character that only punches and dodges is a positive. Basically, it is saying Little Mac adds variety because there is no extremely boring character in the roster yet.
Same old argument. You don't know how he could turn up. When we talk about imagination in creating a moveset, sorry but I trust Sakurai more than you.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I don't know, I can be pretty creative. What do you think of this?

UPDATED Little Mac Moveset

Little Mac's playstyle is about building up and unleashing his inner strength. He has average jumps, speed, and rolls, but a spectacular quick sidestep. While his weight is also average, his power has a chance to be great. His Up and Forward Smash can be hard hitting as well as his back aerial. But his specials are where he has the potential to truly shine. While starting off as utility moves, his specials can morph into star-studded finishers.

Little Mac's throws are designed as mini-games between himself and the opponent he grabs.

Mechanic Star Power: Star Punch gains stars. Stars fuel the other specials. A star appears above Little Mac's icon near the percentage. Boxing gloves glow brighter with the number of acquired stars. Maximum of three. Using a special, other than B, will eat up one star UNLESS you have three stars. A fully charged special will use all three stars.

Specials
B Star Punch: A quick punch. Designed to tack on during combos. Adds a star to Little Mac's Star Meter.

Side B Star Dash: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch.
1 Star: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch that stuns, followed by flurry of punches.
2 Star: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch that stuns, followed by flurry of punches that stuns, and concludes with Little Mac throwing a big hook.
3 Star: Charges half the distance of a Fox Illusion and throws a straight punch that stuns, followed by flurry of punches that stuns, then a big hook that stuns, and concludes with an uppercut. Will always eat through a full shield.

Up B Star Uppercut: Similar to Mario's Up B with a greater emphasis on covering horizontal distance. Hits opponent up.
1 Star: Small explosion of light at height of jump from his glove.
2 Star: Larger explosion of tiny stars at height of jump from his glove for an even bigger pop and some splash damage.
3 Star: Biggest explosion of stars for big KO potential at tip of glove and big area of splash damage.

Down B Star Counter: Blocks with gloves and counters with an uppercut. This counter does not factor in the blocked attack from the opponent. Rather the power of the counter comes from stars. Unlike other counters, this one sends the enemy into the air. Straight up. More stars, equal more power.

Ground Moves
A: Jab, can be repeated.

Toward A: Right hook, press of A results in follow-up left hook

Down A: Crouches and jabs, can be used repeatedly with press of A

Up A: Leans back and sends two quick circular punches upwards as if hitting a speed bag. Can be repeated.

Down Smash: Rotating backhand. Quick but not very powerful, good keep away move.

Up Smash: Big jumping uppercut.

Forward Smash: Leaps back slightly and follows up with a strong straight punch.

Dash A: Pushes with both gloves. Good for clearing a little bit of distance.

Aerial Moves
Back Air: Pulls elbow back and then spins around with a big punch. Slow startup.

Down Air: Looks down, spreads legs slightly and throws two quick solid punches down in succession.

Up Air: Throws a straight punch upwards causing Little Mac to rise a little bit the first time he uses it.

Forward Air: Throws a diagonal punch forward that hits opponents away and slightly downward

Neutral Aerial: Does a slow aerial spin as he throws a blur of punches to rack up damage.

Throws:
A: Gut Punch

Forward Throw: Little Mac starts to pull back a fist. A press of any button will cause him to punch. Further the pull, the further the enemy goes. However, the enemy can breakout, interrupting the punch.

Down Throw: Punch to the chin causing the enemy to drop.

Up Throw: Does a squat while lifting the opponent above his head and then machines gun punches upwards sending enemy into the sky after tacking on good damage.

Back Throw: Jumps onto of enemy and starts to punch downwards. Enemy can move at this point and must try to shake Little Mac off. Higher percentage means Little Mac can stay on longer for more beatings. Quickly mashing B results in quicker punches. Can jump off at any time.​

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
First and foremost. Mac does NOT need moves from other boxers.
Second, Stun Punch should be the grab.
Third. Mac needs to be in.
Sure, Geno and Sora and Banjo and Kazooie most likely won't be in. Nintendo deosn't have the rights to them.
But they OWN Mac. There is NO excuse.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I do have to say that, while I have no interest in Little Mac as a playable character myself, I'm hoping he's not an assist trophy again for your guys' sakes.

However, I could definitely see Little Mac being the most popular character that does not make the cut.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What if Mac's throws actually all look like punches? Up Throw being an uppercut, forward throw being a sucker punch, down throw a liver punch, back throw a quick spin around then a punch in the back. Stuff like that.

If there's a trailer tomorrow about Smash (which I doubt) I think Little Mac might very well be revealed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if Mac's throws actually all look like punches? Up Throw being an uppercut, forward throw being a sucker punch, down throw a liver punch, back throw a quick spin around then a punch in the back. Stuff like that.
How about this?

When he grabs someone, he actually punches them in the gut. They slump over his fist and he can then choose what direction to throw them!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Or how about when you press the throw button, he punches. When you press the jump button, he punches and when you pick a direction he punches himself forward and stumbles left or right.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Woah, I see a really cool idea being tossed around here lately.

Leaving the opponent in a dizzy state instead of a grab animation is actually genius, while still bringing in some more references from Punch Out!
I actually love this idea WAY more than clenching!

Then none of his grabs would look like grabs.
-
BTW, great moveset there, Bowserlick. A few minor issues like Dsmash (which I can relate to, it's a hard one to think about), and the kinda confusing Bthrow, but other than that, pretty good! (If you must know, I just feel they're un-boxing-like, particularly Dsmash because as far as I know, boxers don't back-hand punch).
I like the way the star system is implemented into all of his specials, not just the Star Punch, that definitely makes it unique.
Mind if I add it to the OP sometime?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You may.

In UFC the backhand is used as a high risk/high reward move since you expose your back.

Let us brainstorm. If a boxer was attacked in an alley by two men, one from the back and one from the front how would he defend himself?

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of Mac's grab being a stun punch, but I'd be happy see a clench worked in there somehow. Something like, his stun punch turns into a clench if he gets fatigued, since in Punch Out you aren't able to attack when you turn pink, only make defensive maneuvers. He would use it to stall until the fatigue ends, since in boxing clenching is more of a stall/resting tactic.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a great day for Mac fans.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You may.

In UFC the backhand is used as a high risk/high reward move since you expose your back.

Let us brainstorm. If a boxer was attacked in an alley by two men, one from the back and one from the front how would he defend himself?

Well... if I kept it true to Punch Out's universe... I'd have Little Mac do what Mr.Sandman does.

This attack, in the game, comes out from down-left, and ends when the fist aims up-right.
Then comes the 2nd attack which mirrors the former attack except with the other hand.
(Then comes a 3rd one just like the 1st one again, but for the sake of having a smash attack that doesn't drag for too long, it could be limited to just two).
It'd be a bit more shorter ranged than most Dsmashes, but since it hits two sides, I think it can qualify.

Other than this.. perhaps wide hooks, or worst case scenario, a more refined version of Wolf's Dsmash.
One further thing to note is that not all characters have a 2-way Dsmash. ZSS and Mewtwo come to mind. :D

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't see why it's so terrible for Mac to mimic some of his fighters from the games. I always pictured his Forward Smash would be that King Hippo hug. Or his BackAir would be Super Macho Man's Clothesline punch where his arm spins around.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I suggested a running clothesline for King K. Rool.

Not sure if a running clothesline would be in character, but it would help his gameplay of an offensive, in-your-face oriented fighter.

Little Mac could dodge and hold out his arm for a few frames, allowing him to knock a character into their tripping animation. He could then try to follow up with a combo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Lovin' that moveset. A stacking Star Power mechanic is something Mac definitely needs in order to make himself totally unique. It honestly sounds like alot of fun, and could make for some super-interesting gameplay.

Here's hoping Sakurai recognizes that, and takes advantage of it.

As for the "Rumor" that Mac is an AT again, I'm going to, like any, take it with a skeptical grain of salt. Someone posting on Reddit that they know the contents of a yet-to-occur Nintendo Direct is already suspect, but they also included Mii's that have customizable movesets. I'm also going to point out that most leakers include Mac as playable. (There's what's likely a Punch-Out!! stage, so that's easy to say, but still.)

In addition, the leaker who guessed Mega Man, WFT and Villager would be announced at E3 also said Mac would be playable. (He said he'd be revealed at E3, which he wasn't, but there could be alot around this we don't understand. He obviously had some kind of information, and is apparently a reputable source for fighting game leaks generally. I don't think he'd include Mac on that list without being sure he was in it.)

Granted, I've been disappointed before. It just seems illogical to not include Mac as playable, given literally every reason we've already covered, from fanbase to relative relevance to 1st party-ship, to blah, blah same old hat.

Hopefully something Smash comes from VGX or Directs this month, and "Mac the Playable and not Mac the Assist Trophy" is one of them.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The only rumor that seems to have some sticking power is the Megaman, Animal Crosser, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Pacman, Mii rumor that is already 50 percent correct, in my eyes.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The only rumor that seems to have some sticking power is the Megaman, Animal Crosser, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Pacman, Mii rumor that is already 50 percent correct, in my eyes.

Certainly going to hope this keeps being true, and all the other leaks are shot down like they deserve.

I really, really don't want customizable Mii's. It could take away so many options from less generic potential characters. Including Mac, when it'd be better just to have him.

Come on, Mac baby...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Customizable might just mean you can change the face.

If it was anymore customization, I would think Sakurai would make the middle sized Mii and then two clones. A smaller, quicker, less powerful one and a larger, slower, more powerful one.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, I thought that, but the wording of the leak definitely said something about being able to change your moves. In which case I scoff at it, but remain worried about it, just in case.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ah do you have a link to that leak. I might have missed it and now my interest is peaked.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not that I trust the leak's validity as far as I can throw it, but is it debunked now? Or was the "Mac's still an Assist" leaker a different guy than the Reggii leaker?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Not that I trust the leak's validity as far as I can throw it, but is it debunked now? Or was the "Mac's still an Assist" leaker a different guy than the Reggii leaker?

I'm pretty sure it was a different leaker, since the "Regii" leaker talked about a VGX reveal, and the Mac Assist leaker talked about Mii's being revealed in a direct this month.

Still going to say he's a sack of ****, but still. Not quite debunked yet.

Top Bottom