• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Even as a standalone character, I have faith in playable Little Mac.

Sakurai couldn't have thought of the boxing ring just to accomodate Villager´s boxing gloves! There's gotta be more behind it.

I'm telling you... that Little Mac trailer will (have to) be something that will blow us away.
I can even picture a jogging scene with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Mac all behind Doc Louis and his bike, at the end of it. XD

EDIT:
I still have faith that tomorrow, on BOXING DAY, we'll get a surprise Litte Mac trailer. X,D
Come on, Sakurai... your Japanese blood BEGS of you to play with words.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even as a standalone character, I have faith in playable Little Mac.

Sakurai couldn't have thought of the boxing ring just to accomodate Villager´s boxing gloves! There's gotta be more behind it.

I'm telling you... that Little Mac trailer will (have to) be something that will blow us away.
I can even picture a jogging scene with Mario, Link, Kirby, and Mac all behind Doc Louis and his bike, at the end of it. XD

EDIT:
I still have faith that tomorrow, on BOXING DAY, we'll get a surprise Litte Mac trailer. X,D
Come on, Sakurai... your Japanese blood BEGS of you to play with words.

Is Boxing Day a legit holiday that's celebrated in Japan?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Little Mac would have no impact on Isaac's chances, other than showing people that Assists can become playable (though really, this isn't even a good argument).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Starfy doesn't effect Little Mac's chances.

Little Mac doesn't effect Isaac's chances.

ATs aren't tied to each other.

Heheh... Little Mac on Boxing Day. If only Sakurai was that awesome.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, we got SOMETHING for Boxing Day, right? Oddly enough, not a boxer, or someone who uses a box. :p

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
And we get zelda, the least box related character.

Haha oh well, I'm still confident in Mac Baby

Sleeves

Smash Rookie
I've just written a character concept article for Little Mac today:

"His attacks would have to be fairly original as he has barely any named moves in his games. However, boxing is a great fighting sport and can easily serve as inspiration for the character, so a moveset would be easy to dream up. I imagine Little Mac to be a fast character with some powerful attacks as in "Punch Out!", but to balance him out I could see him being extremely light, flying far and having predictable recovery options. Again, this would be true to his origins, wherein he would suffer badly after only a few received punches.

For his standard attacks and tilts, Little Mac would make use of his speed. Standard A attacks would be punches much like Mario's, with the third **** being a slightly slower but stronger punch, and this could combo from the previous two. Side tilts would be a slower but longer range outstretched punch similar to Bowser, down tilt would be a low punch that would have edgeguarding uses and up tilts would be a quick spiraling uppercut that would be useful to start juggles with.

Smash attacks would all be slower but powerful attacks with some KO potential at medium percentages. They would mostly all be directional punches with the exception of his down smash. I think a unique attribute that Little Mac could use would be a down smash with short reach like a solar plexus strike of Ryu fame that would stun opponents like Zero Suit Samus does with her down smash. This could allow Little Mac to establish great combos and KO setups whilst not being overpowered due to short range and longer recovery than other smashes.

Aerial moves would be effective punch moves, with back attacks being slower but with good KO potential, Forward+A and Neutral+A being fast but effective, Down+A being a meteor where Mac smashes both fists down and Up+A would be a three punch combo with the last hit blasting opponents skywards. These attacks would allow Mac to be an effective juggler and his light frame would make chasing down enemies for a KO a breeze.

Giga Bowser move over, Giga Mac is here!

Special moves are a bit more tricky to think about. Neutral+B would be a short step followed by a very fast series of punches. This would hook multiple opponents in and a full hit would do great damage and end the combo with a punch that knocks opponents a decent distance. Obviously this is balanced with the high risk factor as he would not be able to stop the move mid-animation. Up+B would be his signature "Star Uppercut" taken straight from the "Punch Out!" games and would function as a vertical recovery move much like Luigi's Up+B, but with a tiny bit more horizontal distance. I also envision a critical sweetspot at the beginning of the attack, making it a viable smash option.

Side+B would be chargeable, and on release would see Little Mac fly forwards and deliver a terrific strike in a move similar to Ike's own Side+B in Brawl. This would allow Mac to cover some good distance both on the ground and in the air, and if the move were to have a hit of super-armour in its duration then approaching would be possible with him as well, something many brawlers lack in the Smash Bros. series. Final Smash is easy; Giga Mac was a state that Mac could reach in the recent Wii game in multiplayer battles and would be great to see as a Final Smash form, making all his attacks much more powerful and he would gain super armour like Giga Bowser in Brawl.

Ultimately, I think Little Mac's chances of making it to Smash Bros. are fairly high, as he was an assist in Brawl and is currently heavily rumoured to achieve playable status this time around. Currently, we are lacking in characters with true fighting experience and boxing has had no representation thus far, making Mac a perfect fit."

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Hey Little Mac supporters how does it feel knowing the character you support is basically a lock?

D

Deleted member

Hey Little Mac supporters how does it feel knowing the character you support is basically a lock?
You say that now, but watch as how he becomes an Assist Trophy again…
I have all of the confidence in the world for Little Mac though, so (hopefully) it won't happen.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
And yet Boxing Day has nothing to do with boxing....
Unless you watch Doctor Who.

Also I was thinking if Mac is playable who (if any) will replace him as an AT? I believe its either...

Bald Bull (since he already does the bull charge anyways)
or
Urban Champion (If he's not playable)

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Let's stop and think.
Every character that's been announced after the original trailer has been released in coordination with a game.
If we do get Little Mac, wouldn't that also mean we're getting a new Punch-Out game?!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Let's stop and think.
Every character that's been announced after the original trailer has been released in coordination with a game.
If we do get Little Mac, wouldn't that also mean we're getting a new Punch-Out game?!
It does not necessarily mean we'll get a new Punch-Out game because he's in the game.
That's Nintendo's decision to decide.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's to hoping Little Mac is playable. And that he has a Dempsey Roll in his moveset.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I think there are multiple boxing circuits Mac goes to just beat up other boxers. Here, it's basically a Smash circuit. So it's not really unlikely.
Don't they all have the same logo on the floor though? The one with two boxing gloves? This one just has the Smash logo. There's also no "WVBA" text on the poles.

Seems like generic boxing arena to me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Don't they all have the same logo on the floor though? The one with two boxing gloves? This one just has the Smash logo. There's also no "WVBA" text on the poles.

Seems like generic boxing arena to me.
True. But it could still be connected to Little Mac. Think of Smash Bros as it's own circuit. It would have it's own logos and everything.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Where's that analysis from GameFAQS?
That proves that this is a Punch Out!! stage...
Anyone want to find it? I'm to lazy to prove this guy wrong, he can think whatever he wants.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Thank you for the insightful posts, they've really made me see the situation in a new light.
True. But it could still be connected to Little Mac. Think of Smash Bros as it's own circuit. It would have it's own logos and everything.
Yeah, I guess it could. I've also seen someone suggest that the Smash logo etc. are just there to until Mac gets revealed, which would be... interesting.

Well in any case, the stage looking generic is not the reason why I find Mac unlikely.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Thank you for the insightful posts, they've really made me see the situation in a new light.
Oh, you're welcome. :troll:
I can do so much more, I just don't feel like it today.
Although you can keep going, you're making me laugh.
Well in any case, the stage looking generic is not the reason why I find Mac unlikely.
Well then what is?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Yeah, I guess it could. I've also seen someone suggest that the Smash logo etc. are just there to until Mac gets revealed, which would be... interesting.

Would that have to do with his previous status as an assist character?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The same as Balloon Fighter: He seems to have been implemented into Villager's moveset.
Ah. I see.
Well I do understand where you're coming from, and I've heard it before. But something as generic as boxing gloves can be added to a lot of characters.
For example, Mii and King K. Rool are very likely to incorporate boxing gloves into their moveset.
That being said I know what you are going to say next: Punch Out is one of the 8-Bit games that are playable in the original Animal Crossing.
Well what I have also found to be in the original Animal Crossing is the "Boxing Theme", a furniture set that revolves around boxing.
Make of it as you will, but boxing gloves don't really mean much in the long run. Villager took what made Balloon Fighter unique from him. Little Mac still has a lot of potential beyond a forward tilt.
Oh, and sorry if I was being an *** before.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The same as Balloon Fighter: He seems to have been implemented into Villager's moveset.
Eh, I kind of have my doubts about that though. Maybe I'm a little biased though. Little Mac can have an entire fighting style that properly represents Boxing. He can use a bunch of punches. Like Uppercuts, Jabs, Hooks, and Haymakers. Balloon Fighter is mostly known for using Balloons.Much like characters like Dudley, Steve Fox, and Bruce Irwin(though he's a kick boxer, but still)more or less do in other fighting game series like Tekken and Street Fighter.

Balloon Fighter kind of lacks a fighting style that he can grasps onto. Or at least that's how it seems to me.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Ah. I see.
Well I do understand where you're coming from, and I've heard it before. But something as generic as boxing gloves can be added to a lot of characters.
For example, Mii and King K. Rool are very likely to incorporate boxing gloves into their moveset.
That being said I know what you are going to say next: Punch Out is one of the 8-Bit games that are playable in the original Animal Crossing.
Well what I have also found to be in the original Animal Crossing is the "Boxing Theme", a furniture set that revolves around boxing.
Make of it as you will, but boxing gloves don't really mean much in the long run. Villager took what made Balloon Fighter unique from him. Little Mac still has a lot of potential beyond a forward tilt.
True. Mac has potential and another character having one boxing move taken from their own game doesn't really mean anything. My thoughts on Mac are based on the assumption that the boxing move is indeed a reference to him. If Sakurai were to come out and say that it's taken from the "Boxing Theme" instead, then I'd definitely see Mac as one of the most likely newcomers. But correct me if I'm wrong: The Boxing Theme in AC doesn't include gloves, does it? That's really why I think the move is most likely from Mac.

Top Bottom