• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
!
How's this?
[collapse=Moveset]
A,A,A-Jab combo: alternating left and right. If you continue pressing A, he'll continue to Jab. Can be comboed into Up tilt.
Up Tilt-Hook: He'll quickly punch upwards, and should you press Up+A again, he'll continue to hook upwards, sort of like a second jab combo, only upwards. Can Be comboed into Jab. Knocks items out of enemy's hands as a reference to Soda Popinski.
(Note. Hits are not as fast as other infinite combos, but deal enough hitstun to combo opponents temporarily. Can combo into Up Special)
Side Tilt-Straight Punch: A simple, straight punch.
Down Tilt-Low Blow: Quick, low, ducking jab.
Dash Attack: Quick running punch. Causes opponent to fall down. (See Bald Bull KO Cutscene, Punch-Out!! Wii)
Ledge attack: Climbs back onto stage, then punches.

Guard: Blocks face with gloves while surronunded by shield.
Dodge Roll: Quickly sidesteps to the side of the opponent.
Dodge: Tilts body to dodge, such as in his own games.

Smashes:
Side Smash: A strong, forward punch. Decent damage and knockback.
Up Smash: Strong upward hook. Slightly below average vertical knockback, but strong damage.
Down Smash: Spins while punching. Damage is below average, only about 15% for each side, but is ridiculously fast in execution/attack speed.

Air:
Neutral: Spins around while punching.
Forward: Punches straight twice, exhaling sharply. Ya know, like boxers do.
Back: Back Knuckle Punch
Up: Punches upwards quickly.
Down: Meteor Smash Punch downwards, similar to Samus' Dair.

Specials
Neutral Special: KO PUNCH. A strong punch that is chargeable, but not storeable. Rather than winding up, he will just prepare the punch, by bringing his arm back. Sort of like a Falcon Punch. Except instead of dealing powerful knockback, it knocks the ememy down. Unlike a normal state of knockdown, the victim must rapidly tap the buttons to stand back up. Should Little Mac Taunt while the enemy is knocked down like this, he will regain health.

Side Special: Infiltration. Rushes forward, infiltrating the enemy's defenses should he touch an enemy. He dodges most attacks as he rushes forward. Pressing B again will follow up with a second punch, and again for a third. If timed correctly, the three punches strung together will beget a Star.

Up Special: Star Punch: The Star Punch is Mac's signature attack. It easily breaks through shields. With no stars it is a basic weak uppercut, dealing about 6-7%.
On the ground:
1 Star: A decently powerful upward strike, does not jump. 10-12% but decent knockback.
2 Stars: Even Stronger. No jump still. Just a strong powerful upward punch, 15-20 damage, above average knockback.
3 Stars: Very Strong, very fast. A jumping uppercut while spinning once. Vertical knockback is extreme, and will KO at medium damage, around 50-70%. The attack itself deals 25-30 damage. Mac's finshing move.
Works similarly in the air. Does not propel him upward a very far distance.
Down Special: Taunt Block.
Everyone has been suggesting a counter for a down special, and I agree. Mac is based around dodging and blocking. Mine can be used offensively or defensively however. It works like this.
Mac assumes a defensive stance, covering his face with his gloves. If an opponent should attack him while he assumes the stance, Mac will block in and counter with a strong punch. PLEASE NOTE that this move is different than other counters. This move is to be used in ANTICIPATION of an attack, as the window of opportunity for the counter to work lasts only a split second. However, when Mac assumes the stance, if he is close to an enemy, it will force them to taunt. This is a reference to Punch-Out!! Wii. In Punch- Out!! Wii his opponents often underestimate him, and show this by taunting him. You have to wait 15 seconds before you can use it again, in the meantime, it'sjust a regular counter.

Grabs:
Most people suggest a double handed punch, like Bear Hugger's Bear Hug, or to clench an opponent.
I suggest to use one of Mac's signature abilities: The Stun Punch.
Also known as "The Dizzy Punch", Mac will do a quick jab that stuns the opponent. From there...
Pummel: Mac will repeatedly punch the opponent.
Forward: Mac will punch the opponent with enough force to spin the opponent around similar to the Cape. Mac can follow up with a number of attacks. Reference to Disco Kid KO cutscene.
Up: Mac deals a punch to the solar plexis (gut) and follows it up with a powerful upwards strike. Knocks food out of them as a reference to Glass Joe and King Hippo KO scenes.
Back: Mac runs behind the enemy, and punches while whirling around to face them.
Down. Punches enemy who grows a flower on their head, and then falls down. The flower does what it does in Brawl. Reference to Don Flamenco's KO Cutscene, in which his rose turns black and wilts, attached to his body as he is KO'd.
NOTE: Each character has a unique thing flying over their head when stunned by the Dizzy Punch. (i.e. Mario has his hat flying in circles over his head, Luigi has his, Peach has crowns flying in circles over her head, Bowser has Koopa Shells, etc.) As a reference to the Wii installment.

Final Smash: Champion Combo.
Many people wanted *ahem* Roid Rage as his FS. Many people wanted a combo ending in a 3 Star Punch. Well as it turns out, in Punch-Out!! Wii, there is such a thing.
During the final battle with Mr. Sandman in Title Defense mode, after a long and arduous battle, he will unleash his trump card. A LONG Dreamland Express, with multiple lightning quick and powerful uppercuts. And after that, should the attack fail, he will be exhausted. So exhausted that he is in infinite stun. Little Mac is then free to combo him to his heart's content, and slowly depleting Sandman's health, while also building Stars. The final blow can then be a 3 Star Punch, strong enough to put Sandman down in the dirt once and for all.
The final smash inspired by this would be a punch, that if it connects, would be followed by a long combo of punches, ending with a 3 Star Punch, just like in the game's Finale.

Taunts:
Up: Jump ropes in place.
Side: Punches in place.
Down: Mac begins doing situps.

Victory Theme:
Punch-Out Victory Theme.

Victory Poses.
1. Lifts the belt in the air, saying "WOOHOO!" Doc with him, eating chocolate.
2. Is lifted onto Doc's shoulder by Doc.
3. Doc lifts his arm up, as Mac looks happy.

Note:
Unique Star System.

How to GAIN Stars:
Successfully pull of Infiltration will all 3 hits with correct timing. Correct timing implies that you hit them again JUST as the brief hitstun wears off.
Attack an enemy while they are taunting.
Attack an enemy while they are charging a Smash Attack.
Attack an enemy, interrupting an attack by them.
Hit an enemy with a 0 Star Up Special.
Successfully land a fully charged Smash Attack.
Attack after Dodging/Sidestepping
Landing a Ledge Attack

How to Lose Stars:
Die.
Use the Star Punch.
Take a lot of damage.
Be hit by a Smash Attack.
(Note: Being KO'd, or Using the Star Punch uses all the stars. Taking a lot of damage or being hit by a Smash Attack lowers your Star Count by one.)

Taunting will show the number of stars you have over Mac's head.

Style and Strategy.

Mac is ALL about technique. It's about combos, skill, and knowing when to use each move. Mac's main strengths include combos, attack speed, and decent strength and knock back. His jump height is slightly above average. However, his main weaknesses are his fast falling speed, his pretty low weight, and his subpar recovery. However, his side special provides decent horizontal recovery. He does, however recover quickly from knockback and hitstun, having an innate ability to bounce back quickly from attacks, like in his own game. Getting Stars can be rather difficult. His most reliable method of getting stars are his Up and Down Specials. Comboing into his Up Special can beget a star quickly. Forcing the enemy taunt with the Down Special can also yield a star, or even TWO if he attacks a taunting enemy witha fully charged Smash Attack. Besides the Star System, Mac has one other Unique Trait. Mac dodges and sidesteps quickly, like in his own games, and can follow up almost immediately with an attack after dodging. (i.e. After sidestepping, Mac will follow up with a unique attack, a quick punch that begets a star, similar to a ledge attack.) [/collapse]
I have a few comments on the moveset, (and yes it helped.) I'd like to say that Smash Attacks are a huge part of a match, so if Mac were to survive, he'd have to wait for a enemy to taunt or a smash attack, which would be hard to do depending on the character. Other than that it's perfectly fine.

EDIT: Happy 30th!

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
!
I have a few comments on the moveset, (and yes it helped.) I'd like to say that Smash Attacks are a huge part of a match, so if Mac were to survive, he'd have to wait for a enemy to taunt or a smash attack, which would be hard to do depending on the character. Other than that it's perfectly fine.

EDIT: Happy 30th!
I thought of that, which is why the Down Special has the effect it does.

And it is the 30th! Green Day wakes up tomorrow.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He doesn't need his opponent's moves to be interesting.

You realize the Star Punch is Doc's move, not Mac's, right? Not aiming this at you specifically, just tired of seeing this mindset.

I get that people think Mac would fight with ethics and fight straight up rather than use special moves his opponents use (I myself agree it would be odd seeing things like Aran Ryan's glove on a stickrope or any other "cheating/dirty" moves), but there's no patent on standard boxing techniques. I don't see any problem at all with him having rushing attacks similar to Mr. Sandman's Dreamland Express among the myriad of other ideas already listed here (Dempsey Roll, counter punches, etc.), which he himself is limited to not using due to gameplay mechanics (this is somewhat remedied in Super-Punch-Out!!!, albeit at the cost of the Star mechanic).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You realize the Star Punch is Doc's move, not Mac's, right? Not aiming this at you specifically, just tired of seeing this mindset.

I get that people think Mac would fight with ethics and fight straight up rather than use special moves his opponents use (I myself agree it would be odd seeing things like Aran Ryan's glove on a stickrope or any other "cheating/dirty" moves), but there's no patent on standard boxing techniques. I don't see any problem at all with him having rushing attacks similar to Mr. Sandman's Dreamland Express among the myriad of other ideas already listed here (Dempsey Roll, counter punches, etc.), which he himself is limited to not using due to gameplay mechanics (this is somewhat remedied in Super-Punch-Out!!!, albeit at the cost of the Star mechanic).
I agree with this, and also that there's a line with Mac you can't really cross in terms of how bizarre the moves he uses are. Sandman's techniques? Sure. A variation of King Hippo/Bear Hugger's hugging moves? Okay. Mac waving around a glove on a rope or bull charging his opponents like an ax crazy madman? Bad idea, and not near creative enough to warrant such an out-of-character portrayal.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Theres 1 problem i realized the challenger appoaching banner did not go away a new character reveal never happens till that banner goes away

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Personally I draw the line at him/Doc having a taunt that involves throwing chocolate bars.

Something like Bald Bull's Charge (minus turning red, with Super Armor) , Piston's Hondo Rush (Jab Jab > Delayed Uppercut) and even some of Giga Mac's beat down moves (just not Giga Mac himself..) would be mint.

D

Deleted member

I'm hoping that the Nintendo Direct tomorrow has some SSB4 news, but I am not going to get my hopes up too much.

I am not going to take the banner on the website as anything since Sakurai can be a bit unpredictable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm hoping that the Nintendo Direct tomorrow has some SSB4 news, but I am not going to get my hopes up too much.

I am not going to take the banner on the website as anything since Sakurai can be a bit unpredictable.
I think we could be looking at a hint about smash brothers but no character thats probably next week

Speculator

Smash Ace

The Star Punch was Doc's move, I think it's safe to consider it Mac's as well.

I don't think you really understood my stance - I don't have a problem with Mac taking inspiration from his opponents, so long as it feels in line with Mac's fighting style. I jsut don't think he needs them to be a unique character. Like you said, glove-on-a-rope and such would be very strange for Little Mac, however counter-punching and the Dempsey Roll and other boxing techniques would be perfect. I don't think Bull Charge is really Mac's style but I'd have no issue with some kind of rush technique. Earlier I was arguing that Mac doesn't need to adhere strictly to the Punch-Out games, he has moveset potential from every boxing technique there is.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Turns out i was wrong about a character not being announced on the direct

Sonic is confirmed as a veteran and by the video he looks like he got buffed already

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Huh, so they didn't reveal Mac today. It would have been a good day, seeing as it's the anniversary, and all, but oh well. A reveal's a reveal! :D

D

Deleted member

Huh, so they didn't reveal Mac today. It would have been a good day, seeing as it's the anniversary, and all, but oh well. A reveal's a reveal! :D
Hopefully Little Mac will get revealed soon.

I should mention that this month also houses to many other Anniversaries to games like Gyromite and Ice Climber. So, I think we might see Little Mac, R.O.B., or the Ice Climbers this month.

However, I am glad that Sonic got confirmed. :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hopefully Little Mac will get revealed soon.

I should mention that this month also houses to many other Anniversaries to games like Gyromite and Ice Climber. So, I think we might see Little Mac, R.O.B., or the Ice Climbers this month.
Personally, those would be great, although I think Sakurai'd wait for December for the Ice Climbers, if only to be festive, haha.

But anyway, back to Mac. If he's revealed, how would you want his reveal to go?

D

Deleted member

Personally, those would be great, although I think Sakurai'd wait for December for the Ice Climbers, if only to be festive, haha.

But anyway, back to Mac. If he's revealed, how would you want his reveal to go?
Little Mac is beginning to train and Doc Louis comes in and says, "Hey there Mac! Let's go out and beat that special challenger!" And a whole training montage occurs. Before that happens though, we see a small flier with the Smash symbol. The music that plays during the training session is a remix of the bike theme from Punch Out!! for the NES.
We then see Little Mac at one end of the ring getting prepared for his big fight. The camera then quickly goes to the other side of the ring where we see his opponent is none other than Mario. The camera zooms out and we see the stage they are in is the boxing stage that we've seen for a very long time. Doc Louis then says, "Go get 'em Mac!"
Then the music picks up and we hear the Punch Out!! Main Theme.
Little Mac and Mario begin to fight. The footage shown to us is Little Mac fighting characters in numerous other stages like the Pyrosphere and the Animal Crossing stage where he is fighting the likes of Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer, Donkey Kong, and Pit. We return to the fight with Little Mac and Mario to see Little Mac use his Star Punch against Mario and cause a star KO. The referee comes out and says "Knockout!"
Little Mac then jabs four times and then uppercuts. The frame where his uppercut ends freezes and the text says "Little Mac Enters the Ring!" Afterwards, Doc Louis says "Join Club Nintendo today Mac!"
And the trailer ends with the game's title coming up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Little Mac is beginning to train and Doc Louis comes in and says, "Hey there Mac! Let's go out and beat that special challenger!" And a whole training montage occurs. Before that happens though, we see a small flier with the Smash symbol. The music that plays during the training session is a remix of the bike theme from Punch Out!! for the NES.
We then see Little Mac at one end of the ring getting prepared for his big fight. The camera then quickly goes to the other side of the ring where we see his opponent is none other than Mario. The camera zooms out and we see the stage they are in is the boxing stage that we've seen for a very long time. Doc Louis then says, "Go get 'em Mac!"
Then the music picks up and we hear the Punch Out!! Main Theme.
Little Mac and Mario begin to fight. The footage shown to us is Little Mac fighting characters in numerous other stages like the Pyrosphere and the Animal Crossing stage where he is fighting the likes of Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer, Donkey Kong, and Pit. We return to the fight with Little Mac and Mario to see Little Mac use his Star Punch against Mario and cause a star KO. The referee comes out and says "Knockout!"
Little Mac then jabs four times and then uppercuts. The frame where his uppercut ends freezes and the text says "Little Mac Enters the Ring!" Afterwards, Doc Louis says "Join Club Nintendo today Mac!"
And the trailer ends with the game's title coming up.
I fully support this happening! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Doc Louis requires you to join Club Nintendo before you can play as Mac. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think you can get past a 403.
Imagine if someone somehow managed to get past that 403... and sees the whole SSB4 roster... and then makes a "fake" leak that correctly predicted the whole roster... and we didn't know it was real because we dismissed it as fake! What if one of those leaks is real?! :eek:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think there's even a (legal) way to get past a 403, honestly...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I joined Club Nintendo 10 years ago... the only reason I joined was to get The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. I had to register Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. It was also how I joined Nsider in the first place.

D

Deleted member

I joined Club Nintendo 10 years ago... the only reason I joined was to get The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition. I had to register Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. It was also how I joined Nsider in the first place.
Ah yes, the NSider forums. I wish I was able to join those forums back then. I mostly lurked there for Brawl news and speculation before the Dojo started to get updates. It's a shame they brought that website down in favor of their tech forums...
I fully support this happening! :laugh:
Thank you! I thought what Little Mac's reveal would be like when I got bored one day.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac. My most wanted newcomer.

Put me on the support list. The day Mac is confirmed will be the day that Smash reaches it's prime...well...for me, at least.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It would be crazy if Wii Fit Trainer originally turned out to be a mannequin at Little Mac's gym and when the Subspace Army attacked, they used the trophy gun and they tried to turn Little Mac into a trophy... but Little Mac dodged them and punched the gun... the gun's setting was reversed and it fired at the mannequin when it landed on the floor... accidentally bringing Wii Fit Trainer to life.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Oh God, I realized I just started a new fandom. Little Mac x Wii Fit Trainer. (If the source comes down to me blame it on MorbidAltriusm.)

Top Bottom