• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mac's thing is that he's the fighter that follows the rules. I don't think they'd give him Aran Ryan's glove-on-a-rope or anything like that, it'd be out of character for him.

True, but no against the rules of Smash. Still, I'd rather he have a clever original moveset than take from other Boxers.

Speculator

Smash Ace
True, but no against the rules of Smash. Still, I'd rather he have a clever original moveset than take from other Boxers.
Yeah, I'm not saying he should adhere perfectly to the rules of boxing since he'll obviously be jumping around and doing other things required for SSB. But I think they should do the best they can to adapt his "clean" boxing style into a Smash moveset before looking at other boxer's abilities.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, he seems probable! Especially with that boxing ring stage. Though I can't imagine a moveset without lots of punching, the smash team often gives characters lots of creativity and imagination! He's got my support!

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, he seems probable! Especially with that boxing ring stage. Though I can't imagine a moveset without lots of punching, the smash team often gives characters lots of creativity and imagination! He's got my support!
His moveset doesn't need to be anything other than lots of punching, nor should it be.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I don't why people are saying he can only punch, that's what I love about Little Mac and that's what will make him unique.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I don't why people are saying he can only punch, that's what I love about Little Mac and that's what will make him unique.
Well cause lots of characters punch so it takes the uniqueness away just a tad...I dunno, I feel like I personally would get bored of it but whatever, if people like that then I hope he just punches! Whatever makes his fans the happiest :3

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Well cause lots of characters punch so it takes the uniqueness away just a tad...I dunno, I feel like I personally would get bored of it but whatever, if people like that then I hope he just punches! Whatever makes his fans the happiest :3
I honestly don't care if he has the worst moveset in the game, I'm happy.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I want him to have a befitting moveset though.
And I want his victory theme to change styles depending on who he beat. Like in Punch-Out!! Wii!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I want him to have a befitting moveset though.
And I want his victory theme to change styles depending on who he beat. Like in Punch-Out!! Wii!
I don't know about the victory theme idea (neat but a lot of work and strange that just one character gets it) but yeah I would like a nice moveset. Great movesets for everybody!

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
What do you think he should do as well as punch?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
What do you think he should do as well as punch?
No idea! Depending on the creativity of the Smash Team for this one since I've never even played Punch Out for myself, but even their Little Mac assist trophy just punched. I know he's got jabs, uppercuts, dodges, star punches, Giga Mac, aaand...then I'm stumped. But look what they did for Fox and Captain Falcon XD Maybe he could do things like...Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch! Thunderpunch stunning the opponent like Zero Suit Samus's down smash, Ice Punch freezing the opponent and sending them skyward, and Fire Punch maybe sending them flying horizontally with the burning effect of course...and maybe doing a little lasting damage even after the attack cause of the burn! Maybe I'm making too much of a Pokemon out of him, but I could see them giving him different punches with all sorts of effects and saying "Well yeah, he's really good at punching."

D

Deleted member

You know, I hope that Little Mac can have a Smash Taunt on the boxing arena stage so we can have some awesome Doc Louis quotes like this:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
C'mon, let's rip that 'stache right off his famous Italian face.

Too violent?

No idea! Depending on the creativity of the Smash Team for this one since I've never even played Punch Out for myself, but even their Little Mac assist trophy just punched. I know he's got jabs, uppercuts, dodges, star punches, Giga Mac, aaand...then I'm stumped. But look what they did for Fox and Captain Falcon XD Maybe he could do things like...Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch! Thunderpunch stunning the opponent like Zero Suit Samus's down smash, Ice Punch freezing the opponent and sending them skyward, and Fire Punch maybe sending them flying horizontally with the burning effect of course...and maybe doing a little lasting damage even after the attack cause of the burn! Maybe I'm making too much of a Pokemon out of him, but I could see them giving him different punches with all sorts of effects and saying "Well yeah, he's really good at punching."
1.That would be Hitmochan's job.

2. Welcome to the boards.

(Sorry, double post.)

Sonsa

Smash Champion
1.That would be Hitmochan's job.

2. Welcome to the boards.

(Sorry, double post.)

Yeah sorry, I took inspiration from the Poke-Boxer himself haha, but I would be okay with just punches as long as they had many different effects! That way, he would have a unique and interesting moveset! Oh and thanks XP

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Little Mac may need to borrow punching techniques from enemies as well as having some star gaining mechanic to make him interesting. I would be surprised if he made it into the roster and did not have both these attributes.

D

Deleted member

Coming from someone who only got Punch Out yesterday, he's now among my most wanted newcomers; his moveset could end up pretty basic, but I would still love to see Mac in the game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Coming from someone who only got Punch Out yesterday, he's now among my most wanted newcomers; his moveset could end up pretty basic, but I would still love to see Mac in the game.
Me too but i would hate it if he got revealed but then find out you have to unlock him first i mean thats possible since toon link is likely to still be unlockable

D

Deleted member

Me too but i would hate it if he got revealed but then find out you have to unlock him first i mean thats possible since toon link is likely to still be unlockable
Eh, I don't think they'll reveal unlockable newcomers until after the games release-people know that most of the veterans are likely to be included anyway, so they're probably revealing them now. It would also make sense for newcomers to be revealed next year to build up more hype.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Hi there, new here from the UK. Little Mac seems a shoo-in at this point really, and it would be a huge shame if he didn't make it as Punch-Out is IMO the last Nintendo series that desperately needs representation in Smash (following Animal Crossing).

I see no reason Mac supporters should be worried, though. Looks like there's already a Punch-Out stage in the game and the recent Wii reboot bodes well.

D

Deleted member

CODECS.
What do you think Doc'd say if you're fighting Mario?
"Hey there Mac, you know for a plumber, he can really jump, man. Hahahahaha!"
For every Smash Taunt, he should occasionally say:
"Join Club Nintendo today, Mac!"

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
CODECS.
What do you think Doc'd say if you're fighting Mario?
I can easily see doc louis codecs for mac i mean the doc saids really funny things about the fighters and i think they should only work on the arena stage

And maybe some locations he might give Mac some support comments not like codecs like simple ones

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Hi there, new here from the UK. Little Mac seems a shoo-in at this point really, and it would be a huge shame if he didn't make it as Punch-Out is IMO the last Nintendo series that desperately needs representation in Smash (following Animal Crossing).

I see no reason Mac supporters should be worried, though. Looks like there's already a Punch-Out stage in the game and the recent Wii reboot bodes well.
I'm scared that he will be replaced by a "better" character, Ridley.

Welcome to the boards.

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac is in the game. I'd stake my life on that. I'd stake Thatwaspeachy's life on Ridley being in.

I do want ridley though lol

Speculator

Smash Ace
Little Mac may need to borrow punching techniques from enemies as well as having some star gaining mechanic to make him interesting. I would be surprised if he made it into the roster and did not have both these attributes.
He doesn't need his opponent's moves to be interesting. The star mechanic would be more than enough, because that would make him the only playable character with an additonal resource meter.

Doc Louis would be like the Snake codecs from Brawl, talking to Mac about his opponents.

As for a Final Smash it is easily the Star Punch. If characters were able to have a second one though Mac's would most likely be Giga Mac.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
He doesn't need his opponent's moves to be interesting. The star mechanic would be more than enough, because that would make him the only playable character with an additonal resource
How I'm seeing the star mechanic function is if a player gets hit, he will lose the stars he has earned, with that being said, the player is forced to play a perfect game in order to stay ahead of the game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Doc Louis would be like the Snake codecs from Brawl, talking to Mac about his opponents.

As for a Final Smash it is easily the Star Punch. If characters were able to have a second one though Mac's would most likely be Giga Mac.
Go the other way giga mac as final smash star punch is most likely for up B and how to get stars could be a special mechanic in smash brothers

Speculator

Smash Ace
How I'm seeing the star mechanic function is if a player gets hit, he will lose the stars he has earned, with that being said, the player is forced to play a perfect game in order to stay ahead of the game.
Here's how I thought it could work. Mac's down special is a dodge/intercept move, like Marth's counter only quite a bit harder to time. Mac dodges an oncoming attack and retaliates with a jab (which perhaps could stun the opponent). Successfully pulling this off adds one star to Mac's star meter, presumably displayed above or below his damage %. The meter has a maximum of three stars.

One of Mac's other specials is his Star Punch. Performing this move by itself yields a weak normal punch - however, if Mac has stars in his star meter, the punch becomes an incrementally more powerful knockout move (depending on how many stars are available). Stars are expended when the Star Punch is performed, meaning Mac is required to build up his stars again.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
While not exactly true to his game, I think one of the easier ones to implement the Star mechanic is to have a Star Punch as a B move. It is a quick move that also gains a star. Up to three stars can be collected. The stars are used to fuel his other specials. Each special has four modes. Regular, one star, two, three.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Fundamentally that's the same principle as mine, although without the intercept punch. I think it's important there be something more to gaining stars than just a straight-up ordinary punch, and since you build your star meter in Punch-Out by intercepting attacks I went for a counter-style move.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Wait,so he can't use them or make them more powerful, or what?
How's this?
[collapse=Moveset]
A,A,A-Jab combo: alternating left and right. If you continue pressing A, he'll continue to Jab. Can be comboed into Up tilt.
Up Tilt-Hook: He'll quickly punch upwards, and should you press Up+A again, he'll continue to hook upwards, sort of like a second jab combo, only upwards. Can Be comboed into Jab. Knocks items out of enemy's hands as a reference to Soda Popinski.
(Note. Hits are not as fast as other infinite combos, but deal enough hitstun to combo opponents temporarily. Can combo into Up Special)
Side Tilt-Straight Punch: A simple, straight punch.
Down Tilt-Low Blow: Quick, low, ducking jab.
Dash Attack: Quick running punch. Causes opponent to fall down. (See Bald Bull KO Cutscene, Punch-Out!! Wii)
Ledge attack: Climbs back onto stage, then punches.

Guard: Blocks face with gloves while surronunded by shield.
Dodge Roll: Quickly sidesteps to the side of the opponent.
Dodge: Tilts body to dodge, such as in his own games.

Smashes:
Side Smash: A strong, forward punch. Decent damage and knockback.
Up Smash: Strong upward hook. Slightly below average vertical knockback, but strong damage.
Down Smash: Spins while punching. Damage is below average, only about 15% for each side, but is ridiculously fast in execution/attack speed.

Air:
Neutral: Spins around while punching.
Forward: Punches straight twice, exhaling sharply. Ya know, like boxers do.
Back: Back Knuckle Punch
Up: Punches upwards quickly.
Down: Meteor Smash Punch downwards, similar to Samus' Dair.

Specials
Neutral Special: KO PUNCH. A strong punch that is chargeable, but not storeable. Rather than winding up, he will just prepare the punch, by bringing his arm back. Sort of like a Falcon Punch. Except instead of dealing powerful knockback, it knocks the ememy down. Unlike a normal state of knockdown, the victim must rapidly tap the buttons to stand back up. Should Little Mac Taunt while the enemy is knocked down like this, he will regain health.

Side Special: Infiltration. Rushes forward, infiltrating the enemy's defenses should he touch an enemy. He dodges most attacks as he rushes forward. Pressing B again will follow up with a second punch, and again for a third. If timed correctly, the three punches strung together will beget a Star.

Up Special: Star Punch: The Star Punch is Mac's signature attack. It easily breaks through shields. With no stars it is a basic weak uppercut, dealing about 6-7%.
On the ground:
1 Star: A decently powerful upward strike, does not jump. 10-12% but decent knockback.
2 Stars: Even Stronger. No jump still. Just a strong powerful upward punch, 15-20 damage, above average knockback.
3 Stars: Very Strong, very fast. A jumping uppercut while spinning once. Vertical knockback is extreme, and will KO at medium damage, around 50-70%. The attack itself deals 25-30 damage. Mac's finshing move.
Works similarly in the air. Does not propel him upward a very far distance.
Down Special: Taunt Block.
Everyone has been suggesting a counter for a down special, and I agree. Mac is based around dodging and blocking. Mine can be used offensively or defensively however. It works like this.
Mac assumes a defensive stance, covering his face with his gloves. If an opponent should attack him while he assumes the stance, Mac will block in and counter with a strong punch. PLEASE NOTE that this move is different than other counters. This move is to be used in ANTICIPATION of an attack, as the window of opportunity for the counter to work lasts only a split second. However, when Mac assumes the stance, if he is close to an enemy, it will force them to taunt. This is a reference to Punch-Out!! Wii. In Punch- Out!! Wii his opponents often underestimate him, and show this by taunting him. You have to wait 15 seconds before you can use it again, in the meantime, it'sjust a regular counter.

Grabs:
Most people suggest a double handed punch, like Bear Hugger's Bear Hug, or to clench an opponent.
I suggest to use one of Mac's signature abilities: The Stun Punch.
Also known as "The Dizzy Punch", Mac will do a quick jab that stuns the opponent. From there...
Pummel: Mac will repeatedly punch the opponent.
Forward: Mac will punch the opponent with enough force to spin the opponent around similar to the Cape. Mac can follow up with a number of attacks. Reference to Disco Kid KO cutscene.
Up: Mac deals a punch to the solar plexis (gut) and follows it up with a powerful upwards strike. Knocks food out of them as a reference to Glass Joe and King Hippo KO scenes.
Back: Mac runs behind the enemy, and punches while whirling around to face them.
Down. Punches enemy who grows a flower on their head, and then falls down. The flower does what it does in Brawl. Reference to Don Flamenco's KO Cutscene, in which his rose turns black and wilts, attached to his body as he is KO'd.
NOTE: Each character has a unique thing flying over their head when stunned by the Dizzy Punch. (i.e. Mario has his hat flying in circles over his head, Luigi has his, Peach has crowns flying in circles over her head, Bowser has Koopa Shells, etc.) As a reference to the Wii installment.

Final Smash: Champion Combo.
Many people wanted *ahem* Roid Rage as his FS. Many people wanted a combo ending in a 3 Star Punch. Well as it turns out, in Punch-Out!! Wii, there is such a thing.
During the final battle with Mr. Sandman in Title Defense mode, after a long and arduous battle, he will unleash his trump card. A LONG Dreamland Express, with multiple lightning quick and powerful uppercuts. And after that, should the attack fail, he will be exhausted. So exhausted that he is in infinite stun. Little Mac is then free to combo him to his heart's content, and slowly depleting Sandman's health, while also building Stars. The final blow can then be a 3 Star Punch, strong enough to put Sandman down in the dirt once and for all.
The final smash inspired by this would be a punch, that if it connects, would be followed by a long combo of punches, ending with a 3 Star Punch, just like in the game's Finale.

Taunts:
Up: Jump ropes in place.
Side: Punches in place.
Down: Mac begins doing situps.

Victory Theme:
Punch-Out Victory Theme.

Victory Poses.
1. Lifts the belt in the air, saying "WOOHOO!" Doc with him, eating chocolate.
2. Is lifted onto Doc's shoulder by Doc.
3. Doc lifts his arm up, as Mac looks happy.

Note:
Unique Star System.

How to GAIN Stars:
Successfully pull of Infiltration will all 3 hits with correct timing. Correct timing implies that you hit them again JUST as the brief hitstun wears off.
Attack an enemy while they are taunting.
Attack an enemy while they are charging a Smash Attack.
Attack an enemy, interrupting an attack by them.
Hit an enemy with a 0 Star Up Special.
Successfully land a fully charged Smash Attack.
Attack after Dodging/Sidestepping
Landing a Ledge Attack

How to Lose Stars:
Die.
Use the Star Punch.
Take a lot of damage.
Be hit by a Smash Attack.
(Note: Being KO'd, or Using the Star Punch uses all the stars. Taking a lot of damage or being hit by a Smash Attack lowers your Star Count by one.)

Taunting will show the number of stars you have over Mac's head.

Style and Strategy.

Mac is ALL about technique. It's about combos, skill, and knowing when to use each move. Mac's main strengths include combos, attack speed, and decent strength and knock back. His jump height is slightly above average. However, his main weaknesses are his fast falling speed, his pretty low weight, and his subpar recovery. However, his side special provides decent horizontal recovery. He does, however recover quickly from knockback and hitstun, having an innate ability to bounce back quickly from attacks, like in his own game. Getting Stars can be rather difficult. His most reliable method of getting stars are his Up and Down Specials. Comboing into his Up Special can beget a star quickly. Forcing the enemy taunt with the Down Special can also yield a star, or even TWO if he attacks a taunting enemy witha fully charged Smash Attack. Besides the Star System, Mac has one other Unique Trait. Mac dodges and sidesteps quickly, like in his own games, and can follow up almost immediately with an attack after dodging. (i.e. After sidestepping, Mac will follow up with a unique attack, a quick punch that begets a star, similar to a ledge attack.) [/collapse]

Top Bottom