• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little mac top tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm not completely sure for this, but Mac looks good. like, really good. I'm almost certain he'll be a fan favorite in the competitive scene.

although, that's just a first impression.

thoughts?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
His recovery looks really ****ing bad. Like, worst then Links. Just a very short, straight up angle.

but his grounded game seems incredible. I'm guessing he's gonna be a character of extremes. Extremely strong ground game, but lack luster when it comes to aerial combat.

Regardless, Mac looks incredible, and i'm sure he's gonna be fun as hell to watch.

Last edited:

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't necessarily jump the gun. He looks like he has poor recovery and poor aerial maneuvering. But omg that super armor looks ridiculous. He also has a counter by the looks of it and his ground game looks nuts. Interesting addition. Whether he's top tier or not I'm hyped for this game and for little mac.

¿shwa?

Smash Rookie
Didn't seem like he had much of a neutral game though. I'd draw parallels to Captain Falcon if anyone, and his ceiling is probably C. Falcon as well.

Basically he needs more lasers.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Looks a lot like Mega Man's opposite, in that it's all close range with little long range.

Of course it looks like he moves really quickly too.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Looks very similar to a Falcon in playstyle. If this game is like Melee, that means good things for Mac.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Hes probably going to have trouble with ariel based characters, not mention his bad recovery. How do you guys think Little Mac wil do against projectile guys like Toon Link and Mega Man?

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
He's incredibly fast both in running speed and attack speed, but his recovery seems horrible.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Macs just seems more like a freight train when he hits. Lol.
Hes probably going to have trouble with ariel based characters, not mention his bad recovery. How do you guys think Little Mac wil do against projectile guys like Toon Link and Mega Man?
Probably okay.

From what i've seen, he has a move that lunges straight passed projectiles, and that armor looks strong enough to blow through alot of there moves up close. His speed should atleast let him follow them pretty well and weave in and out of there comfort zones.

I think he'll do just fine. I think it's the characters that can gimp really well that will give him trouble. He looks almost defenseless when he's off the stage.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yeah, bad recover but wonderful fast attacks. He seems to have some super armor during some of his attacks, and (not sure if this is exclusive to him) can attack almost immediately out of a dodge.

Once you get him off stage, however, it is over for the guy.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Little Mac's KO Punch isn't as powerful as they wanted it to look in the trailer.

Bowser starts the clip at 37% but when the camera zooms back away from Mac we get a glimpse of Bowser's % when the punch connects:

So that clip wasn't actually one solid take. It was two clips spliced together.

Also holy ****:

Mac runs lower to the ground than Pikachu and seems to run AS FAST AS SONIC. Dead serious, play back that video and look how much ground he covers in that clip.
This man is using Falco's lasers as a back-scratcher and is knocking hos back before they can even pluck another turnip.
I'm in love here.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
All the characters need to look OP in their trailers.
Oh Megaman has so many projectiles, OP!
Villager can absorb preojectiles, OP!
WFT has super big hitboxes, OP!
Rosalina can do a lot of combos with Luma, OP!
etc.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac appears to be a fast, aggressive combo orientated character. His super armour attack and counter are nice, too.

That said, his recovery looks abysmal. Against characters like Marth or even Jigglypuff, they might get pounded a lot on stage, but they have the game off-stage.

I wonder what his edgeguarding options will be?

Last edited:

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
Heavy pressure game he seems light with a bad recovery. I think he's going to be one of those characters that players will main but will be outplayed by careful opponents. Guess for hardest matchup would probably be Marth with his longer melee range.

This is all prediction and mostly just for fun I, of course, have no idea.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Little Mac appears to be a fast, aggressive combo orientated character. His super armour attack and counter are nice, too.

That said, his recovery looks abysmal. Against characters like Marth or even Jigglypuff, they might get pounded a lot on stage, but they have the game off-stage.

I wonder what his edgeguarding options will be?
I would say you don't aim to gimp with Little Mac, but to outright send players flying. It might be wise to just stay on the stage and try to outpredict other players.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Well I don't know if his move is OHKO from low percentage, mainly because at the beginning of the clip where he charged the move Bowser and Mega Man were at around 30%. A second later though, it's as if they skipped a bit and you can see this.

As a street fighter player, this dude makes me so happy. He has the boxing technique of Dudley, the strength or Balrog and the small size and dash speed of Makoto. He's ****ing dope. His mixup game seems strong on the ground. While he seems gimpable I'm not too worried. Either way I'm just hyped as hell to play with him.

Marth=fthrow>fsmash>fair gimp>Edgehog=Dead Mac.
Not really. Marth will have no invincibility frames since ledge guarding in this game has changed.

Judging from that and the way edge hogging works in this game and being a Marth main getting Mac at a low percent at edge is gonna be a *****.

Last edited by a moderator:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Not really. Marth will have no invincibility frames since ledge guarding in this game has changed.

Judging from that and the way edge hogging works in this game and being a Marth main getting Mac at a low percent at edge is gonna be a *****.
Easy solution: Fall, then jump back on the ledge. Invincibility frames reset.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
As I posted in GAF;

Here in the trailer you see the meter building up, but keep note of the speed of the Boxing Glove icon; it suddenly speeds up at an extremely fast rate, and just a few frames before he hits Bowser and Mega Man, Bowser is already at 239%. I think Sakurai is basically telling us that the meter is going to take a while to charge, although what actively causes it to build up is something I don't really know.

Yeah, and considering his lack of horizontal distance during his up-b recovery, you can always just fair him to a point where edgehogging won't even be necessary.

Little Mac does seem a beast, but semi-spikes / meteor smashes are gonna mess him up hard.

That may not be enough time, as the amount of frames you have depend on your air time, and Marth's recovery can't gain the sufficient airtime less you risk getting your jump baited by another up B. Ledge games are going to be different, and while it's gonna be hard for Mac to recover, the hitbox on his Up B is gonna be a pain in the ass to gimp.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Combination of Falcon and Yoshi in play style. He has a lot of physical punishment and he basically has stolen Yoshi's jumping super armor and applied to to f'ing everything on the ground. Lot of fast moves and it feels like a boxing style of play: you attack, he counters fast in most cases, and probably a somewhat decent approach.

I'd say he'll be upper mid tier. His bad recovery and fairly obvious strategy looks exploitable, it doesn't feel like he'll be the kind of character where you will still lose to him despite knowing full well what's coming. But at the same time, his pros look very unique and tough to counter, so lower tier characters probably won't be able to overcome super armor and the rest of the ground game.

But this is extremely reliant on Brawl/Melee history. We don't know how much the low tiers are getting buffed this time around if Sakurai is serious about making garbage tier relevant.

King Orfut

Smash Cadet
Gotta remember, the point of the trailer was to show him off to the fans. Pretty much like any other character with a trailer. Of course hes gonna look top tier.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.

Screw ledge invincibility, one spaced DTilt and Mac isn't coming back to the stage.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I don't think we fully understand how the meter system works yet. The way I saw it is that he can charge his specials on the spot like a charged smash and gets super armor during the charge. If it is nothing more than a fancy charged smash than by no way does that ensure him top tier status (seeing how predictable a charged smash is). If anything based off what I've seen, I feel that he may just be something of an Ike 2.0 (not to say he's replacing Ike.

Morbi

Scavenger
One cannot properly determine the tier of a character without weighing them against all characters, that being said, I don't honestly believe Little Mac to be top tier. Most top tier characters are versatile with a plethora of tools. Mac doesn't have many overt tools, he is just a really great rush-down character.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I took a lot of looks at the trailer and I see that Mac has a special (?) where he rushes forward with an overhead punch.

That may help his recovery a little but only horizontally. Although, I could be wrong and I might just be going crazy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
His attacks may offer invincibility frames, but opponents can simply just grab Little Mac to bypass the frames. Little Mac may be a close combat character, but coping with those who possess lethal grab games may prove to be his downfall.

Smady

Smash Master
All about the match-ups. Best case scenario for me is he outranks other rushdown-y characters like the space animals or Meta Knight with his super armour and speed, but loses out to those with a good grab like Dedede. It could actually bring some nice balance to the roster to give an advantage to grab users like that. However, as far as his OHKO goes, it may just be a term and he has a bad recovery, so I really doubt he's broken.

Where I think he may be a top tier is in his fast-paced gameplay and natural ability for combos/mix-ups, giving him a high skill ceiling. If he does end up mediocre in strength, that alone will give him a niche on the competitive scene.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It'd be fun to see the king of the ground vs the king of the air in a top tier duel. Aka, Little Mac vs Meta Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom