• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Listening to music during smash: Helpful or distractive?

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
If this is in the wrong forum area, please let me know, or if there is one of this already, thanks.

I was wondering about that because not many players do as from what i've seen (well...I can't really say because i'm local only) but when there is a serious game going on, I put some music on and play. It seems to help me a lot because I stop thinking about the game.

Who plays with music on serious games, and likes it? Or if not, why not?

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I play my own music off and on(I don't exactly play many "serious" games, mind you), and really, I never actually pay attention to the music. It's just there. I like having some kind of background noise no matter what, though.

Navo

Smash Apprentice
Mostly the only time i listen to music while playing smash is when i practice by myself
it makes it more interesting
also i listen to it when people are watching
cause i dont like hearing "take his ledge... f-smash"
i find it distracting and anoying and it makes me mess up
when my musics on i dont hear any of that ahah.

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, understandable. By yourself you say? Interesting because I have to ask you this: do you play rocky's montage or eye of the tiger? Just a thought lol

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
If I listen to music while playing against human beings (:)), I tend to lose consentration. When I listen to music, I like to focus on acctually listen to it. Not having it as backgroundmusic.

But if I play against dumb computers, I listen to music :)

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
It makes me concentrate better aswell, but I cant really do it, I think it's impolite concidering your opponent :/ it's silly, but thats me.

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
I love the music in the game. It somehow helps me concentrate on killing my enemies. XP

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, as much as i love metallica, i prefer listening to stage music while battling.

Luma

Smash Lord
i listen to those ocremix songs, u dont have to concentrate on the song itself but it helps me playing faster, cuz i wanna try to play on the beat ^^

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
At a Smash Till Dawn I always set up my huge speakers and I plug in my MP3 player. It helps me a lot, but I think that's because it messes up my friends. (One time I actually sang along for an entire 99 stock match, and I finished with 8 stocks.) But overall if it's music I like it helps to play better.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I personnaly think very, very hard when I am playing, and im getting a lot better a lot faster than my don't focus just play friends. While he still has the tech skill, which I am working on, I can tell what he is going to do a lot of the time and then I punish

If I have the earbuds they really screw me over, but besides that the music is good, like on speakers or radio.

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
Music improves my game but like someone already said I think it would be kind of rude to ignore your opponent and just listen to your music, sometimes I do it anyway though, assuming I have my mp3 with me.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
In the lounge at my school, there's always music. It used to suck, because some douche would always be like "Guitar Hero, Free Bird, three times in a row!" But now, we've got christmas music. Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas is You" really gets me into that smashy groove.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Music doesn't matter to me. So it's neither an advantage or disadvantage.

EDIT: Unless the music has some inside jokes in it to make me chuckle...

Gea

Smash Master
It depends. I've seen people delay tournament matches until they get "the right song."

That is bull****. If you can't play without your ipod, then you can't play. I realize mentally you might think it makes you better but have some respect for your tourament hosts who need things running as smoothly as possible.

I actually talk while I play if there is someone worth talking to. Music can be nice but when it comes down to it, I just play. Extra win if the person I'm playing will talk while we play.

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
Music improves my game but like someone already said I think it would be kind of rude to ignore your opponent and just listen to your music, sometimes I do it anyway though, assuming I have my mp3 with me.
Yeah, I see that. Guess I never knew it was rude because i'm always dealing with at least one person who complains over and over or says "oh hey, *stutters for 5 minutes* My a button wasn't working, that's bull----!!" so I got sick of it and put on music from that point on. Once I did, I actually saw myself doing better, reacting quickly and such. So I stuck to it.

As for the holding up on the tournament because of a song choice, that IS b.s. to the max. KNOW what song you want to play or don't do it at all...

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
I don't listen to music when I play, but now that I think about it, it might actually help.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Whenever I put music on it messes me up : ( The hit sound is really somthing I need to tell..

A.How much time till next chance to hit
B. Adds a rythem to the fight

And the music up messes up/blocks out both of those. For me. Music = Bad during smash.

I can see where music -could help though-. Like say. an online battle. 2v2.

You and your freind on one wii (if you cant do that i'll be so pissed because me and my freind are an awesome team) and two other people who knows where. If we had the music we'd have a rythem to follow for our fight. and our opponents couldent hear it to beable to predict anything. Im a musician, so I sorta see evereything as music. but w/e you all get my point.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
meh, as long as there are sound effects i don't really care either way, seeing as how sometimes the sound effects give audible cues for timing things

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
It's all preference. In one of his Random Smash Tidbits, AlphaZealot mentions that listening to an iPod or MP3 player can improve your game if you're used to it, and helps you concentrate/whatever. Also, you could have patterns according to your music, and since the other person can't hear your music, that's OK.

In the end, it's just about what helps you concentrate/focus more.

I'll see if I can find AZ's thread.

Ahh, here:

Tidbit #7: Head Phones, Music, and You
Some players like to have headphones for their matches and I happen to be one of them. Before each tournament, I make two play lists, one to keep me calm and collected before matches start when I need a break, and the other for in game fighting. The songs for both are important, you don’t want to be in an excited state between your matches, you want to remain cool, calm, and collected.

For the times that I am in game, I have a small play list with songs I’m highly familiar with. I would suggest music that some call “fighting music”. For me, as a Peach player, the song I perform best with is “My goddess” by the Exies. In addition to this, I have one song that I use every so often when I want to mix up my play style with someone different. The song “24” by Jem has several repeating beats in it, during certain times in the song I play more aggressively, during other points I play more passively, your opponent can’t understand why you choose which way to play unless they can also hear the music. This being said, don’t only play to the music, you need to play your opponent too, I wouldn’t never abandon an attack where I’m at an advantage simply because my music changes to where I would usually play passive.
Here is the thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=115819

adaptor17

Smash Journeyman
i always listen to music w/ melee for 3 reasons (out loud,not w/ headphones)
-pumps me up
-helps me relax and not be uptight
-helps me keep a rhythm

Binx

Smash Master
I actually really like having some fast paced music when I am playing but I don't wear headphones cause then I can't hear my opponents controller or my own controller and it's weird, I also really like hearing people talk or cheer in the background so it works for me, its also nice to hear tells like sighs or something sometimes.

I dunno I just kinda trance and blank out until my match is over, my GF says I'm not even the same person for those 3 minute intervals, pretty funny.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I should start doing this more (with headphones)

Occasionally at smashfests here in Alaska, we jam to DIO, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and all that good stuff.

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
I don't find it distracting or helpful... I just find it nice to listen to... xD

I listen to Metallica, System of a Down, and other bands, but most of the time, just the Smash Melee music itself.

Xerck Xon Skyes

Smash Cadet
For me, a portable CD player and headphones quickly became a trademark for serious games (like tournament smashing). I find that it helps me consentrate more, plus I do get into a rythem with the music, thus my time slightly improves as I try to keep the beat in my head. Outside of tournaments of serious play, I do not play outside music.

Trademark Music: Dragonforce or Queen (depends on my mood)

Other interesting facts: Sometimes I'll play while wearing sun glasses. I normally lose those matches, but it's still fun to do.

G4MER4LIFE

Smash Apprentice
Mostly the only time i listen to music while playing smash is when i practice by myself
it makes it more interesting
also i listen to it when people are watching
cause i dont like hearing "take his ledge... f-smash"
i find it distracting and anoying and it makes me mess up
when my musics on i dont hear any of that ahah.
lol, i can understand that. And for me i just listen to music when i'm playing on my own.

Smash Ace
usually it's negative, unless it's the right kind.
the right kind is not rap or Metal.
=2007=

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
if its too loud, then its pretty distractive. the wrong type of music also hinders my ability to play well.
i pump myself up before a match by listening to RATM, Dragonforce, marilyn manson, any sort of heavy stuff.

Top Bottom