• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Listening to music during smash: Helpful or distractive?

chaddd

Smash Lord
All music is distracting while playing. People claim that "their" music pumps them up and they play so much better, but I know for a fact that it's distracting.

As an active musician, I consider music something to be appreciated in it's own right, not added as an afterthought in an attempt to put it in the background. Listening to music can influence your thoughts, actions, feelings, and just about anything else you let it. Adding these variables to your smash game on PURPOSE is not very intelligent at all. It causes you to go for things you feel you should go for and you play more towards some sort of internal rhythm that the music creates.

Saying music makes you play better is along the same lines as that stoner anthem 'w33d makes me play better'. Not really, guys. Being completely sober and charged up on caffeine is the only way to win a tournament, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Besides, do you really want your style of play to ever create the john: "Oh man I forgot my iPod."?

EDIT: Getting "pumped" before or during a game that's about focus and patience just seems sort of contradictory, anyway.

FlameHaze

Smash Rookie
I play my own music but i use my iPod or PSP, whatever's on me at da time. I only play it in 1 ear though so i can still be in the room you kno what im saying. You cant go all ADD on everybody lol.

Oh yea to answer your question, i think it depends on the person and if it's casual or serious match. I wouldnt listen to music in a serious match but at the sametime it might help somone to block out people screaming around you if that throws you off.

Vegeta9001

Smash Rookie
i listen to metallcore and other stuff while practising on my own. when playing crewmates or anyone else though i find it too distracting though.

i think it may be the kind of music we like to listen to, since the in-game music is hardly distracting.

Top Bottom