• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide List of Mega Man's Techniques and Tricks

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
Hi. I'm having trouble with the Dash Item Throw Cancelled Item Throw (a.k.a. DITCIT, Boost Blade). Mostly because I only play on 3ds. And when I try, I'm just doing a normal glide. I don't have a N3ds so anyone willing to help me?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
What are the most useful techs here?
... Almost all of them?

I tried to include only techs that are useful. There are some that are more situational and less critical to learn than others (like the Instabounce variations and Crash Slash), but I think they're all pretty good to at least be acquainted with. Try them out and see which ones you find most useful.

Hi. I'm having trouble with the Dash Item Throw Cancelled Item Throw (a.k.a. DITCIT, Boost Blade). Mostly because I only play on 3ds. And when I try, I'm just doing a normal glide. I don't have a N3ds so anyone willing to help me?
It's a really hard tech to pull off consistently without a cstick. I've been practicing the timing to get the muscle memory and even then I can only do it maybe 25% of the time. I wouldn't sweat it too much -- it's a fun tech but seems situarionally useful to me.

That said, I find what works best for me is to do a Street Fighter-esque quarter circle movement with the control stick.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
One trick I've been using lately is the instant dash attack (hit direction and down on c-stick) when landing on a blade. There are many situations for it. Nice way to grab blade and surprise opponent at the same time, since in many cases you are landing with your back towards them. Most people will avoid the blade, but won't be prepared to block if you are landing with your back towards them

1. When running from opponent, jump, zdrop blade, and then dash towards them. This is nice as the zdropped blade covers your back.
2. Run up to opponent, RAR, zdrop blade, then dash on landing
3. Full hop, rising metal blade thrown downwards. Dash on landing. You can even face away from opponent, to make them think you messed up when throwing blade (although you need to move slightly in air to land on blade)
4. Probably many more I can't think of right now

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Ahh just found a fun combo I ended a game with, wish i saved replay. I don't think there is a percent where it would be a true combo tho.

Dash attack blade pick up, into boost blade (or whatever we are calling it), into down smash/usmash/utilt.

I've been playing with this some in training. Works well from +50% onward. I'm sure its techable, or could di out of it, but it has huge element of surprise.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Ahh just found a fun combo I ended a game with, wish i saved replay. I don't think there is a percent where it would be a true combo tho.

Dash attack blade pick up, into boost blade (or whatever we are calling it), into down smash/usmash/utilt.

I've been playing with this some in training. Works well from +50% onward. I'm sure its teachable, or could di out of it, but it has huge element of surprise.
So you're saying that you're grounding a Metal Blade, Dash Attacking to pick it up, then canceling the Dash Attack into a standing item throw?

Sounds cool, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. Maybe the timing is different than normal DITCIT. Can anyone else confirm that this works or shoot a video of it?

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i dont think he cancelled a dash attack.it sounds like he finished dash attack. it's more like
throw a blade down (or diagonal) to floor> dash attack to pick it up> (opp gets hit and gets horizontal knockback from dash att)> glide toss into upsmash, dsmash, utilt. i've seen someone use this same setup against a bowser player. it looked really cool

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
i dont think he cancelled a dash attack.it sounds like he finished dash attack. it's more like
throw a blade down (or diagonal) to floor> dash attack to pick it up> (opp gets hit and gets horizontal knockback from dash att)> glide toss into upsmash, dsmash, utilt. i've seen someone use this same setup against a bowser player. it looked really cool
Ah, that makes more sense. I don't think what I described is possible.

Sounds like this could be a cool string, especially if you pair it with instant dash attack tech for added surprise value. I'll play around with when I get home.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Ya, you just use a dash attack to grab a blade. The knock back on dash attack sets up nicely for a boosted upsmash. The one downside is you need quite a bit of the stage, so you have to start the dash near one side and go towards the other.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
What do you guys recommend for c-stick? Seems like a tough choice...easier aerials, boost blade, or wavebounce? Any way to have all three on a pro controller?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Imagine if the game let you set up different stick options for when you're on the ground and in the air... I'd do A stick when on the ground for my tilts and B stick for bouncing in the air.

Sigh. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ya, you just use a dash attack to grab a blade. The knock back on dash attack sets up nicely for a boosted upsmash. The one downside is you need quite a bit of the stage, so you have to start the dash near one side and go towards the other.
"sets up nicely for a boosted upsmash."

Can vouch for this. I've done this exact technique and was pleasantly thrilled about it.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
What do you guys recommend for c-stick? Seems like a tough choice...easier aerials, boost blade, or wavebounce? Any way to have all three on a pro controller?
No but you can have at least two of those things via Wiimote & Nunchuck, as well as easier Smashes that don't break your areal momentum. You could also Boost Blade in all directions.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
No but you can have at least two of those things via Wiimote & Nunchuck, as well as easier Smashes that don't break your areal momentum. You could also Boost Blade in all directions.
How is this easier on the Wiimote & Nunchuck? Is it because you use the dpad for smash inputs?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
How is this easier on the Wiimote & Nunchuck? Is it because you use the dpad for smash inputs?
That and the left stick doesn't lock when smashes are held. Smashes don't charge however unless you press Attack and :GCDpad: (Smash).

Its the only way it allows Smashes and Aerial attacks. Also DITCIT is more easier.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
That and the left stick doesn't lock when smashes are held. Smashes don't charge however unless you press Attack and :GCDpad: (Smash).

Its the only way it allows Smashes and Aerial attacks. Also DITCIT is more easier.
Is it possible to set the other controllers so that the dpad does smash attacks? I'm away from my WiiU for another week so I can't test it myself.

If so, maybe this setup is possible on other controllers? You lose taunts but that may be worth it in a competitive environment.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
I've seen players in FG use his up B and then jump after it. How are they doing that???

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Lol just fought someone on my facebook group, around the 5th match he asked me if Megaman had infinite jumps XD.
When I saw that MM use a jump after up b, I just disregarded it as simply saving your second jump. Of course I tried this many times in training mode with no success and by the looks of your replies, I'm a stupid idiot not worth helping?

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Mega Man can double jump after UpB, making him unique.

Like all the other characters, once he uses his double jump, it's gone until he touches the stage.

Like all the other characters, if he takes damage after UpB, he can UpB again.

So, a lot of Mega Man players opt to UpB first and save their double jump, because they know they can UpB again and again if they get hit, whereas they can only double jump once.

FYI, Mega Man also gets 2 walljumps, one before UpB and one after. Maybe you saw your opponent do one of those.

Last edited:

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty certain it was a normal jump AFTER up b, off stage. I remember having to adapt to that player and finally intercepted his recovery extra high. I'm going to check if I have the replay. It also might be only possible when HIT off stage and still having your second jump.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
When I saw that MM use a jump after up b, I just disregarded it as simply saving your second jump. Of course I tried this many times in training mode with no success and by the looks of your replies, I'm a stupid idiot not worth helping?
Woah, sorry man. Didn't meant to sound like a jerk, i just thought it was funny considering what the person i fought said, same as Enker, we were just trying to be funny ^^

Now, what do you mean you tried in training and couldn't do it? Cause it is just as simple as using MM's up B then using your jump, the only way you can't do it is if you use your double jump before the up B.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
So I've been messing a lot with DITCIT and I found Mega Man can get a footstool off his forward toss DITCIT which can jab lack into follow ups. Much like how Meta Knight can jab lock with Bair, Mega Man can too sorta like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZB7rcDuMzs

But with his own moves. I actually tested it today and it works.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Indeed, give it another go and let us know if you need help. :)

Edit: Oops, ninja'ed. If it isn't clear, this post is in response to Sori's. :p

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Just going to toss in little tidbits of questions/ thoughts/info here since this thread is falling behind a bit:

• D-throw -> n-air -> f-air is a true combo barring that your opponent's DI is incorrect. Doing so adjust your spacing on f-air enough to make it safe on hit at lower percents.
  • Now i'm not sure how it was done, but I believe that it is possible to jump out of Mega Man's slide early when you slide into a ledge after hitting your opponents shield. I remember seeing NinjaLink doing this in one of his videos; I'll edit this post with it if I can find it. If someone figures out how to replicate this, it opens up tons of options for ledge pressure.
  • Has anyone else been able to pseudo platform-cancel on Smashville's platform before? I've done it on accident once or twice after attempting to perform Rush Canceling a few times.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Is the Nair in that true combo a sweet spot or regular type?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Is the Nair in that true combo a sweet spot or regular type?
If "sweetspot" refers to the hitbox on Mega man's buster, yes (completely forgot to mention that you have to double jump to land the f-air XD). Again, this is DI dependent but it tacks on an extra 3-4% to Mega Man's bread and butter combo.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
From the combo video that was just posted had some sick combos.

Falling Uair > landing on rush > Uair

Uber gimped an opponent with 2% straight off the respawn platform. The windbox must still hit when they are in invincibility.

And a nice semi infinite combo

Z drop MB > footstool > jab lock ( having first lemon pick up MB > Then when they get up out of jab lock repeat it again with a z dropped metal blade.

Can be done until MB disappears.

Mattopia

Smash Rookie
So something interesting that I just found out. If you up tilt on certain slopes you can land early and cancel all end lag from the up tilt. Only seems to work on certain slopes in the game. I got it to work consistently on Delfino during certain transformations and occasionally on Lylat platforms while it tilted. An easy way to see this work is to go on Yoshi's Island and up tilt on either slope and then buffer another one.

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
Seems like the new patch may have patched Blade Boosting (Super Glide Boost or whatever name it's referred to.) Has anybody else also noticed this?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Seems like the new patch may have patched Blade Boosting (Super Glide Boost or whatever name it's referred to.) Has anybody else also noticed this?
Just tested DITCIT on the 3DS. The A+B method still works, both forward and upward throw. Can't test on the WiU but I imagine that the cstick method still works, too.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Just tested DITCIT on the 3DS. The A+B method still works, both forward and upward throw. Can't test on the WiU but I imagine that the cstick method still works, too.
Tested it yesterday after updating the game, and unless i got a diferent update, boost blade is still in.
I only tested the standart c-stick to smash method, throwing the blade up.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Looking to add a few tid bits here, if these are not new let me know I was thinking of naming them as well.

First is (flying ground pellets? Maybe a name?)

Basically you shoot a pellet just before you land from a jump then jump immediately and shoot just one more pellet. It allows you to send 2 pellets along the ground while you remain very mobile.

Also can be used as an approach and is relatively safe on shield because the second pellet usually hits if they go for the grab.

Second one is similar to the zigma upper. Basically the zigma upper but done with a MB that is thrown straight down instead of diagonal followed by utilt. I've used it many times and I find it easier than the diagonal blade to hit.

Might not be different enough than the zigma upper to have its own name

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Here is a video of the first technique the ground pellets.

Also something near about it is that you can pick up MBs that are on the ground by doing this on top of them without having to stop moving or firing pellets

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So, if you space it right(mega buster barely touching the opponent?) they can't shield grab you?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
If they time their grab perfectly they can grab but it rarely happens.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Here is a video of the first technique the ground pellets.

Also something near about it is that you can pick up MBs that are on the ground by doing this on top of them without having to stop moving or firing pellets

It's hilarious how clueless that guy is about dealing with the pellet spam. It makes that trick look a lot better than it really is. Literally all he needed to do was get close enough with power shields and punish the lag pellets put you through in the air, or punish your defensive option when you escape the pellet's lag. One thing you should never do against swordsmen characters is put yourself directly above them, as they inevitably will have the advantage. Unless, like in the video, the player doesn't know what to do in those instances which would never be the case against experienced players.

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
To be honest that pellet "tech" looks like it really is not that good (or useful), being on the air above any character is pretty bad for most characters and megaman is not the exception, you might aswell just do retreating short hop nairs for zoning or approaching short hop nairs for going on the offensive, you stay grounded for the most part with good stage control.

Top Bottom