• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide List of Mega Man's Techniques and Tricks

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Found a few Mega Man clips recently on twitter that gives me one big :smirk: on my face.

The more I use and see others use hard knuckle, the more I begin to love this move as time goes by. Such an underrated move.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
The problem with all his combos in my opinion is that they're percent dependent and give the opponent a chance to DI in some cases. If you just do it the normal way its consistent at every percent range instead. Normal way being footstool z drop > footstool > jab lock while catching blade > drop blade so it hits them during forced standup > catch blade while it is hitting them and restart the whole combo over by footstooling out of the hitstun and dropping the blade.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
They're also weight and fall speed dependent, not just percent dependent. Still though, hard knuckle is a move that is going to keep getting more experimented with and more consistent techs involving hard knuckles will eventually show up. It's really nice having a mid-range projectile in the form of your fist no less as a meteor that can auto cancel after a double jump while moving after dair comes out despite its slow start up.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
It has the same problem of footstool > down item toss. It can hit the front or the back and it feels random which direction they fly. Ground footstool > Buffered zdrop is always aligned so its super reliable. Even aerial footstools are wonky since opponents can drift and wiggle and footstool animation displace megaman.
Also dair doesn't auto cancel well so most of the time it fails and at those percents lemon lock > utilt can just kill.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting pretty semi-reliable with infiniting practice at this point on some characters, should I upload a vid sometime?

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
It has the same problem of footstool > down item toss. It can hit the front or the back and it feels random which direction they fly. Ground footstool > Buffered zdrop is always aligned so its super reliable. Even aerial footstools are wonky since opponents can drift and wiggle and footstool animation displace megaman.
Also dair doesn't auto cancel well so most of the time it fails and at those percents lemon lock > utilt can just kill.
That's why I mentioned using double jump before using dair. You won't get the auto cancel if you're at the peak off of a single full jump or closer to the ground unless you quickly double jump and then almost immediately use dair. Getting the dair auto cancel can be tricky because you also have to be close to your fist or else you'll get the end lag, but it's consistent as long as you get used to the timing or at least in my experience that is.

I'm getting pretty semi-reliable with infiniting practice at this point on some characters, should I upload a vid sometime?
Whenever you feel like it man.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
That's why I mentioned using double jump before using dair. You won't get the auto cancel if you're at the peak off of a single full jump or closer to the ground unless you quickly double jump and then almost immediately use dair. Getting the dair auto cancel can be tricky because you also have to be close to your fist or else you'll get the end lag, but it's consistent as long as you get used to the timing or at least in my experience that is.

Whenever you feel like it man.
Aerial sh Footstool > buffered dair sometimes isn't high enough to auto cancel dair (di down for example, or aerial footstool animations displacing megaman lower than initial footstool position) of course you can just double jump to get the extra air time
This is what I meant by dair doesn't auto cancel well since low aerial sh footstool > buffered dair doesn't reliably gain enough air time to auto cancel

I've experimented with dair quite a lot a lot so these combos aren't new to me. In my experience it's simple not reliable due to micro spacing ruining tragectories and small nuances and small frame windows, although i do believe its worth fishing during neutral every now and then and hope it coverts into a wombo combo

Dair > off stage bair is the most reliable since Bair range and speed makes it work a wide percent range and resistant to misspacing and kills and because its off stage you don't have to worry about auto canceling spacing

Neat piece of info, ledge jump is enough to auto cancel dair. Full hop has about 51 frames of air time. Dair auto cancels at 55+. Ledge jump is 55+ frames of air time. Unfortunately you can't buffer aerials from ledge jumps so timing is crucial, but its a good setup for reversing ledge situations

Ledge jump >dair auto cancels so you can save your precious double jump in a ledge situation in case you get intercepted and can use all the option you can

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Bair spike has set knockback (and consequently set hitstun)
It will only scale with rage.
Bair spike > utilt
Only works on the lightest of characters with minimal rage (sheik Rosa fox come to mind)
Other than that you need as much rage as you can get for it to true combo.

Platforms are good

Substitute Utilt with your own custom punish

These are pretty good
If juggling, you can tempt them into landing with an aerial by shielding on a platform then punish with shield drop> bair. This will even catch them attempting to juke you by falling through the platform instead of hitting your shield.

Short hop bair shield pokes so a short up air shield platform pressure > bair is pretty powerful since bair has enough range to cover the whole platform (cover rolls) and shield poke (cover stay in shield).

Airdodge edge cancel bair is perfect reversing a juggle situation.
Or you can threaten them with your position by full hopping, airdodge their reaction, edge cancel bair to punish.

Roll to edge> bair isn't very useful, only for that rare situation where they attempt to tomahawk you while you're on the platform. Its just a poor mans shield drop > bair.

Jab isnt very useful, or rather the situation where it's applicable just doesn't happen often. Its only happens if you are boxing on a platform and you come out on top, but Megan isnt good at boxing so you should be avoiding those situations, and it's outclass by platform drop bair.

As I mix-up I suppose you may try full hop nair-nair-jab after up air shield pressure. Their shield may be low enough that they'd rather eat a jab than shield break. Or if they are conditioned into thinking you'd shield poke sh bair, full hop nair shield pokes their head instead of their feet

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103

According to this video, if we get spiked on stage and use this, we could possibly get the footstool combo out of it. What do you guys think?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Isai words echo in your head "don't get hit"

Also you get a phantom footstool if they are still in their attack animation. You can however get their landing lag I suppose

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Kameme: "Don't get footstooled." :smirk:

In all seriousness, this may not be all that practical since it appears to be more on reaction rather than something that you plan out and they might not even be in the position for you to punish with a footstool if they're too far away during the incident.

I will say though that this does gives you another reason to not want to be above Mega Man whenever you're in the air; which is good for us in both ends of this new tech since hard knuckle is a lot safer in this instance than other meteor/spike moves are so we won't be getting punished ourselves. Not sure though on the weird spike hitbox that slash claw has so I can't say for sure if we're one of the ones that benefit from this the most yet.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Bair spike is very useful in combos. Its a special autolink angle 366 and with set weight dependant knock back (and consequently hitstun) that only scales with rage. On lightweights it combos into utilt(frame 6) and footstool (frame 4 jumpsquat + alignment time). With little rage.
At max rage it makes characters like sheik ground bounce (and techable) but heavy characters like samus still get mini spiked with no ground bpuce

Megamang

Smash Lord
You can, with some precision, throw them below the ledge with this.

Characters with slow up Bs can be in a moderately dangerous position. Often theyll go under the stage since theyre holding in to not die to regular bair. Ive gotten a dair kill on a villager like this.

Vs chars like DK, you can find yourself in a better position edgeguarding by fastfalling the bair even if the last hit connects. Just make sure you know how to do it and live; dont SD on stream from advantage :p

Some stuff ive been working on lately follows; maybe i can get some help if anyone finds something they know more about.

SH while moving towards the ledge. This should trigger a reaction. Uair while drifting backwards. With the landing, you are back facing the ledge with a uair that, depending on their height, will cover a number of their options.

Ledge coverage again. Zdrop a metal blade from high up, quickly fall down with landing uair. If they stand up after the uair then the blade can hit them, then you bair or nair if pressed for time.

With both of these, often doing a pellet high to hit ledgejump can force them away from that option, since it stuffs their jump and then theyre landing near you at the ledge which is painful. You can pellet into nair for a large amount of option coverage.

Z drop without the uair and you can walk up to a roll and land a utilt. This is your endgame, since an early kill at the ledge can often win you the game as mega. before utilt kills, a dashgrab into bthrow to reset the situation is what i go with.

Anything to get them ledgerolling.

So yea, zdrop covers a tremendous amount of options. nair to regrab the blade sets up the situation again.

Yesterday, a Cloud stood up at the ledge after the first zdrop. I got another zdrop (megaman falls so fast this is actually top tier ledge coverage. speeeed), it pushed him towards me, i got a bair and landed early. he expected the bair to launch, so i got another quick pickup zdrop bair. While he was stationary, he took 46%!

The future of Megaman is at the ledge. He puts out so many hitboxes, a situation where the opponent has limited options can probably be covered in such a way that only 1 or 2 options escape the vortex. The ledge is great because bair, nair, a throw, ANYTHING will send them back out, resetting the trap.

Right now, winning neutral can net you 10% or less sometimes. it sucks. If every time the opponent loses neutral and has to grab the ledge he has a real chance of never getting back up safely, then Mega would be truly amazing. If they feel a roll is the best option, we can start scoring shoryu kills like a mofo.

So try and force a roll. If your coverage loses to roll, but is indistinguishable from simply walking up shoryu until theyve already rolled, then tell me about it.

What you can take from this post: zdrop generates a hitbox that you dont have to commit to to cover stuff. lets abuse that at the ledge.

Top Bottom