• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide List of Mega Man's Techniques and Tricks

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think I have found the best % shield break punish at low percentage.

Hit with CB run up charge up smash. When up smash hits all but last hit crash bomb explodes, hold shield and after you shield the weak hit of CB you should be able to hit them with another up smash.

Unix

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking that the Nintendo 3DS is not a viable control.

Not having Z triggers, giving rise to difficulty to make drop combos and perfect shield parry attack.

I was very good when practiced with Grab R. But since I discovered the perfect shield techniques, I worsened my combo performance.

I will practice leaving aside the shield, but there are many Bayonetta abusing 0-death combo because I do not use my defense.

I'm looking for ways to connect my Classic Controller Pro on 3DS.

I hate 3DS controller!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I think I have found the best % shield break punish at low percentage.

Hit with CB run up charge up smash. When up smash hits all but last hit crash bomb explodes, hold shield and after you shield the weak hit of CB you should be able to hit them with another up smash.
Wouldn't usmash be very likely to shield poke though?

Megamang

Smash Lord
He is talking about optimal damage once you have already broken their shield.

Thanks for the idea. I like crash bomber stick > utilt if they'll survive a dsmash, since it can kill if they panic jump and if they airdodge an air shooter in their direction is also able to kill them.

Unix

Smash Cadet
U dont have a new xl?
No xD I used a borrowed New3DSXL to test the Boost Blade on WiiU, I have the Old 3DS ._.

I have a Classic Controller Pro, but I must repair it, can't connect to the 3DS.

I need this!

I have a question, if I customize the C-stick to Attack and L to Special Attack. Holding special ¿I can use Smash Attack that corresponds to that direction?

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
All I know is that holding special causes all kinds of weird behavior, hence Bidou.

Why do you want to hold special and do a smash attack?

Unix

Smash Cadet
All I know is that holding special causes all kinds of weird behavior, hence Bidou.

Why do you want to hold special and do a smash attack?
I do not want the bidou, I need enabled the Attack+Special to Smash Attack.

I use the C-stick to attack and would like to make a Perfect Parry with Smash Attack either using Dodge OS. It is very difficult to perform uppercut/SparkShock using Dodge OS, The Stick is tilted sideways, down, but not up. It should be possible to use the C-stick to standard attacks and smash attacks.

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
I dont think the buttons let u do it.

ChopperDave, can you add a note to the ditcit section? The A->B method only works with tapjump off.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Gonna share a good neutral option.

When you have enough space full hop and throw metal blade downwards. On landing you have 4 options basically. Depending on your timing you can
1. at earliest frame catch the metal blade with a short hop nair. and do a sh nair, low nair, high nair string while holding blade. giving you tons of setup options from here. Either you just throw the blade backwards or forwards depending on how you moved when doing the pellet string backwards or forwards or stationary. On the last sh nair you can before landing zdrop the blade on your opponent and either hit for a combo or hit their shield for a throw or up tilt shield break. You can also space it so when you are shooting the last sh nair, move into your opponents shield and before you land throw MB downwards. This great and can even be used from a distance. Since when you do this you cancel all lag on landing and can instant usmash, up tilt, throw. Its extra confusing for your enemy because you hear the metal blade throw sound and your opponent can easily react to that by releasing shield because they don't get hit and they are frame trapped to eat an up tilt.

2. A couple of frames later on the input you get a grounded instant pellet MB pickup and can go ftilt, ftilt, sh nair into a toss or zdrop setup like the described above. String 1 is better because its not as easy to protect against and moves faster and can be moved backwards and forwards giving time to react to all the steps.

3. Even more frames later you get a buffered forced sh instant metal blade pickup into insta toss. Nothing really special.

4. When doing this start up in neutral you will find that sometimes your opponent closed the distance during the full hop and you get up tilts and throws on confirmed hit.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I was messing around in training mode and I may have discovered something interesting assuming no one has yet. At early percents, I tried doing d-throw>footstool>leaf shield and it seems atm to be legit. I was wondering if anyone can confirm if it is legit or not since this wasn't against an actual opponent.

Also, footstool on ground>z-drop mb>footstool>jab reset>u-air>u-air does a disgusting amount of damage. The more I experiment with Mega Man, the more I think how underrated his advantage state is and may become more important in the future.

You think Metal Man's metal blades are op? Well then you clearly have never heard of Footstool Man's head hop or Jab Reset Man's jab resetter.

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Its legit! Its been known to some extent, a japanese vine showed it among others a while back. Good thing to know is when your third leaf hit Sh away so the fourth misses and instant Up tilt on landing.

The next combo is also legit however not the second Up air on everybody.

You can do more different combos out of a jab lock and MB in hand.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Hi. 2 things.

DAir has a weird property where the 1st hitbox can be deactivated/out prioritized, but the 2nd hitbox will still come out and potentially spike your opponent.

Pretty sure it's similar to the whole, "does not recoil" thing that Mac's tilts have. This means, with proper spacing, you should be able to spike Firefox despite it out prioritizing the hits individually.

I've been teaching my scene to disrespect DAir because of its projectile priority, but apparently it's not as terrible priority-wise as one may have thought.

Also, fthrow onto smashville platform ~50-60 can force a tech situation where, if the platform is super far to the side, tech roll away = grab>fthrow death/bad situation (good players understand that) so you're left with tech roll in/in place or no tech, all of which can be covered with utilt.

https://www.twitch.tv/pixelholicsgaming/v/71364620?t=03h36m46s

That's the 3rd time I've hit that on purpose. I tend not to go to smashville, but this seems like a thing.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Locke 06 Locke 06 That's interesting. Have you found any other places this works?

All the footstool tech is nice, but I'd like to find more reliable things we can do in neutral. I found a nice mixup for extending our low% throw damage:

dThrow->fAir->fade (to avoid the counter nAir/fAir)->fAir leaves you right next to the opponent without the normal frame disadvantage (not sure how much our advantage is if any). From here, you can read the attack and prepare a shield punish, or regrab and get another 2xfAir/1xbAir in with complete stage control. This isn't just nice because of the extra damage, it also scares opponents into respecting our close range options, which lets us get away with more shenanigans like footstool and rush tech.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I can second that, I love doing that Dthrow mix up. I didn't think of the mind game reasoning though, that's pretty...sleek. ;)

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Hi. 2 things.

DAir has a weird property where the 1st hitbox can be deactivated/out prioritized, but the 2nd hitbox will still come out and potentially spike your opponent.

Pretty sure it's similar to the whole, "does not recoil" thing that Mac's tilts have. This means, with proper spacing, you should be able to spike Firefox despite it out prioritizing the hits individually.

I've been teaching my scene to disrespect DAir because of its projectile priority, but apparently it's not as terrible priority-wise as one may have thought.
I've been able to Dair spike Corrin's UpB, which I recall hearing was invincible. This move definitely demands respect.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I've been able to Dair spike Corrin's UpB, which I recall hearing was invincible. This move definitely demands respect.
If it were invincible, you wouldn't be able to do anything to it with anything.

Corrin's up-B is briefly intangible during the startup before she rises/ the hitboxes come out. Then the hitboxes are really disjointed, but her head is very vulnerable.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Also, fthrow onto smashville platform ~50-60 can force a tech situation where, if the platform is super far to the side, tech roll away = grab>fthrow death/bad situation (good players understand that) so you're left with tech roll in/in place or no tech, all of which can be covered with utilt.

https://www.twitch.tv/pixelholicsgaming/v/71364620?t=03h36m46s

That's the 3rd time I've hit that on purpose. I tend not to go to smashville, but this seems like a thing.
Well that's neat!

Megamang

Smash Lord
Does anyone have any experience with adding RCG (Roll Canceled Grabs) into their game? Megaman already has a pretty great grab range, I think a little boost will make a significant difference. Much like melee, JCG didn't seem that amazing at first but once you realize how many more interactions you win with a slightly better grab... its worth it.

Anyways, I have been using it a lot to make my M2 more threatening over a wider burst range... and I thought it might be great for Mega. I'm going to be learning and doing it either way, but I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on the matter, and also any experience.

I am away from Wii, so I forget if you still get the standing grab or dash grab. In case you get a standing grab, it will make our grabs a little safer. In the case of a dash grab being executed, then it will be a pure range booster.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Underutilized fundamental tech to not lose optimal pressure situations. In alot of situations that happens in your flowchart almost everybody rolls to turnaround, keep safe, keep enough frames for a shield, avoid grab and thinking you will find yourself at a good midrange situation. Problem is your most of the time put to much space between yourself and your opponent because they move and a to big of a reset happens. In order to stay optimal and keep a higher tempo and make better stuff happen. The fundamental tech is to quick tap diagonal up to the side you want to pivot. Try this if you dont use it already and you will see that your common situations will change and for the better.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

Do you have any examples of this? You're right that it doesn't recoil, but the way the move's coded shouldn't let the second hitbox hit if the first is clanked.

Situations I can think of where it could clank and then hit would be...
1. DAir clanks something separate from the player (Luma uair, Olimar uair, etc) and continues through to hit them.
2. Being 14%, dair's first hit will just beat out 5% or lower hitboxes entirely, so it can power through things like Greninja utilt, Fire Fox charging multihits, Spin Attack multihits, etc. and hit them anyway. Probably with the spike hitbox due to travel time.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Do you have any examples of this? You're right that it doesn't recoil, but the way the move's coded shouldn't let the second hitbox hit if the first is clanked.

Situations I can think of where it could clank and then hit would be...
1. DAir clanks something separate from the player (Luma uair, Olimar uair, etc) and continues through to hit them.
2. Being 14%, dair's first hit will just beat out 5% or lower hitboxes entirely, so it can power through things like Greninja utilt, Fire Fox charging multihits, Spin Attack multihits, etc. and hit them anyway. Probably with the spike hitbox due to travel time.
I'll test more. The times I'm thinking about are Peach up air and Sheik up air which are 4% moves that the non-spike hitbox would out prioritize, but then they get spiked.

Shouldn't be hard to actually test. Just anecdotal evidence.

It could be because the 14% isn't actually clanking (it's beating) so the 12% will still activate, meanwhile their move is beaten so it's no longer active.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Where can I find infinite guides ? I was expecting to find it in the op of this thread but no luck. I'm refering to the one that Scatt tries to initiate here https://youtu.be/JlW-cRM4Vhw at 8:46.
As an infinite, it isn't very reliable because the Metal Blade randomly disappears. Look up some videos featuring Kamemushi's Mega Man instead. That guy has the footstool combos down!

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
If anybody wonder how you do the Kamemushi sh triple pellet tech here you go.

Slide from jump-attack quickly. At peek height tap down to fast fall while simutanuesly pressing attack, attack slide to jump quickly and then again tap down to fast fall. After apply whatever mix up you want.

When you have this down add forwards and backwards motions in between the fast falls. Its really not hard to learn even though so few of the Mega Mans still doesnt do these things wich is really surprising.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Adding a fastfall anywhere in your pellet string allows you to get the nair hitbox out, but return to ground movement quicker. It also allows you to put out a jab hitbox really quickly, which can be the difference (though a second nair is just as good, but nair-jab-nair- is a useful option)

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been labbing zigma uppers from the ledge because I saw Scatt do it once, has anyone had any success doing this? I've only tested it on bots so I'm skeptical of how effective it would be on a live opponent. The input is down > jump > b > downforward > uptilt.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
I have a good tip for people that want to become consistant with air dodge canceled item throw.

If you use GC controller

Remap y to shield. Now you just slide thump from y to a for instatosses.

This way you will shortly become 100 % with this tech.

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
More Tips!

Fast fall downwards item thrown MB auto cancels both from FJ and DJ and combos to most other attacks on hit and frame traps on shield. Its REALLY good. You can also do this and on shield pick up MB just before landing into a SH zdrop on their locked shield and follow up with turnaround uptilt for shield break

Here you see me showing it in action. Shoutout to this Ganon player (Demondorf) who is just a beast!!

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
The coolest thing you did here was Downwards NeutralB > NAir/Jab Pick up > FTilt > Nair > ZDrop. I mean come on, that's 16% AT LEAST of Shield Damage XD
An UTilt would have just finished that poor shield :p

Oh, and I think I know that Demondorf if he was French ^_^'

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Yes the french dorf it was

Yes I know I break alot of shields like that. Was meant to do it there as well but input error and dash attack came out :(

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Found a great shieldbreak setup today! Atleast online lol. I dont know the frames of the setup so could be alot weaker offline!

At peak height of a full jump or higher eqiped with MB. Fast fall and immediately throw mb downwards on opponents shield. This autocancels, quickly pick up blade and sh zdrop it on their shield>> up tilt to shield break.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
More Tips!

Fast fall downwards item thrown MB auto cancels both from FJ and DJ and combos to most other attacks on hit and frame traps on shield. Its REALLY good. You can also do this and on shield pick up MB just before landing into a SH zdrop on their locked shield and follow up with turnaround uptilt for shield break

Here you see me showing it in action. Shoutout to this Ganon player (Demondorf) who is just a beast!!

Found a great shieldbreak setup today! Atleast online lol. I dont know the frames of the setup so could be alot weaker offline!

At peak height of a full jump or higher eqiped with MB. Fast fall and immediately throw mb downwards on opponents shield. This autocancels, quickly pick up blade and sh zdrop it on their shield>> up tilt to shield break.
I think I know what I'll be doing the next time I hit the lab. :grin:

Unix

Smash Cadet
I have a big problem, I started practicing the "Kamefootstool" with Tap Jump, now, I cannot use the Boost Blade, too bad 3DS does not allow exploit the Mega Man potential.

¿Is there any way to do boost blade with Standard Attack Stick? ¿Holding special?

I would practice on a Wii U, but I do not like set Smash Attack on C-stick, more problem.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
https://twitter.com/TrueRyuga/status/764345363247554560
Looks like another footstool combo was found. They say it was all true.
Some of the DMG crew including Ryuga and Mattyg were actually rooming with me at super smash con. Thats actually me saying you're not allowed to move yet rofl as I was manually controlling bowser. I 100% can confirm that particular combo was true, i was trying to DI it the whole time as well as holding shield so if even 1 frame of control came in i would have shielded. MattyG is legit as **** when it comes to crazy flashy combos.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Don't look now, but MattyG is slowy on the rise on the tournament level scene as he is currently ranked 9th on the New England Power Rankings, got 3rd at a monthly regional; beating top level players like Marss and got 65th at Super Smash Con; a tournament that had over 1,200 entrants. That dude's tech skill is insane even by Mega Man standards and he is what, only 17 or 18 years old?! I wished he played Mega Man more and Cloud less as his Mega Man is a lot more jaw dropping to watch than his Cloud is.

He also posted some "interesting" tweets not too long ago.

https://twitter.com/SSB_MattyG/status/760150183011291137

https://twitter.com/SSB_MattyG/status/764347771625336832

Top Bottom