• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide List of Mega Man's Techniques and Tricks

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Theree actually is another way to prevent the turnaround besides buffering a jump or landing with nair. You can buffer an F-tilt. This has the advantage of never having to reset your control stick to neutral.

To do retreating lemons you can simply hold backwards and buffered F-tilt > short hop before you turnaround

This is because you can F-tilt forwards with a backwards input. as for proof, try setting your c-stick to attack and F-tilt backwards. You'll immediately notice that you still F-tilt forwards.Or you can hop backweards, hold backwards do an backwards F-tilt as soon as you land, You'll shoot forwards then turnaround. So what you do is jump before you turnaround

no need to reset your control stick to neutral to nair.

And you can still quickly do retreating Lemons from a Dash. where you would normally RAR nair, I would turnaround cancelled F-tilt, which is actually faster.
Sorry you lost me on these explanations. Can you explain the exact inputs not using cstick? I don't understand buffering a ftilt while holding backwards.

My current go to method is while grounded or landing, I hit attack followed immediately (slide finger) by short jump. Then hold direction I want to go, and return to neutral before next attack input. If I fire 1 lemon, this can be done repeatedly. If I fire more than 1, there is a delay on when next lemon can be shot.

Last edited:

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Hey guys,

I'm currently training OoS with Mega Man, because I noticed I was getting punished for rolls more than I wanted too.

I already use these OoS options:
- Jump Cancel Usmash; when opp comes from above or is literally on you
- Short / Full Hop Bair; to cover the back
- Short / Full Hop Fair; to cover front/ diag up
- Short / Full Hop Nair; to mix-up into short hop lemon play
- Shield grab; works with run up shielding
- Spot dodge
- (Holding MB/item) Shield item toss
- (Holding MB/item) Z-drop; to cover back
- (Holding MB/item) Hop downtoss; Nice Mix-up and can be followed up with Aerials

I was wondering if there would be more possibilites, something maybe with the special moves, like Rush? By canceling the shield with jump, this could work I think.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hey guys,

I'm currently training OoS with Mega Man, because I noticed I was getting punished for rolls more than I wanted too.

I already use these OoS options:
- Jump Cancel Usmash; when opp comes from above or is literally on you
- Short / Full Hop Bair; to cover the back
- Short / Full Hop Fair; to cover front/ diag up
- Short / Full Hop Nair; to mix-up into short hop lemon play
- Shield grab; works with run up shielding
- Spot dodge
- (Holding MB/item) Shield item toss
- (Holding MB/item) Z-drop; to cover back
- (Holding MB/item) Hop downtoss; Nice Mix-up and can be followed up with Aerials

I was wondering if there would be more possibilites, something maybe with the special moves, like Rush? By canceling the shield with jump, this could work I think.
I sometimes use Rush OoS to bounce up and punish people. It can be handy against players who like to fall on top of you with a quick aerial, like Mario with his dair. You have to be careful, though, because if you misread they might try to juggle you or punish the landing.

Tornado Hold OoS can be good. It's too slow on startup to be used as a punish against quick moves, but if it looks like someone is about to cross you up with an aerial or dash attack, Tornado Hold will short circuit that.

Short hop landing uair is a neat and very damaging punish for dash grabs and dash attacks.

Jump cancelled downward tossed Metal Blade will hit people who are right on top of you (handy, because MM's item throw has a hitbox blindspot directly in front of him) and combos into usmash at low to medium percents.

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
I sometimes use Rush OoS to bounce up and punish people. It can be handy against players who like to fall on top of you with a quick aerial, like Mario with his dair. You have to be careful, though, because if you misread they might try to juggle you or punish the landing.

Tornado Hold OoS can be good. It's too slow on startup to be used as a punish against quick moves, but if it looks like someone is about to cross you up with an aerial or dash attack, Tornado Hold will short circuit that.

Short hop landing uair is a neat and very damaging punish for dash grabs and dash attacks.

Jump cancelled downward tossed Metal Blade will hit people who are right on top of you (handy, because MM's item throw has a hitbox blindspot directly in front of him) and combos into usmash at low to medium percents.
Aaah ofcourse the JC item down toss!
However, the SH uair only works on "missed" dash grabs right?

The UpB variations could work, especially when used rarely to keep the mix-up going

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Aaah ofcourse the JC item down toss!
However, the SH uair only works on "missed" dash grabs right?

The UpB variations could work, especially when used rarely to keep the mix-up going
Depends on the hitboxes and cooldown of the dash attack or dash grab. Generally short hopping OOS will cause a grab to whiff, and against at least some grabs you have enough time to land a uair.

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Depends on the hitboxes and cooldown of the dash attack or dash grab. Generally short hopping OOS will cause a grab to whiff, and against at least some grabs you have enough time to land a uair.
I understand the concept! I do have the frame data on all grabs, so I should be able to figure out on which characters this should work consistently, i.e. characters with a thether grab like Link, ZSS, Samus, Villager, Yoshi and Pikmin!

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hey guy i am not sure what you mean by set up rush coil than walk toward it. If i up b than fast fall on stage and walk toward it i usually don't have the time to do the utilt or other technique because rush coil have already disapear

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hey guy i am not sure what you mean by set up rush coil than walk toward it. If i up b than fast fall on stage and walk toward it i usually don't have the time to do the utilt or other technique because rush coil have already disapear
Try this: UpB, nair once as soon as you can, fast fall (what I call the "Lemon Drop" technique).

This will give you enough time to walk up to rush and utilt or whatever.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So got home and was checking my subscriptions on youtube, and got this:

https://youtu.be/0wJV9DnAA2U?t=127

I think i posted the url with the time, but if is on the beggining of the video, skip to 2:07.

And i remembered, is the same setup that @ K Kronos2560 does in here http://gfycat.com/DampAggravatingCreature right?

Also, another quote of his:

Metal Blade hits!
Not Safe/Kill:
1. No tech, jab lock into kill.
2. Neutral tech, shoryuken punish.
3. Falling attack, shield into shoryuken punish.

Potentially unsafe:
1. Tech roll into Megaman or corner, shoryuken punish.
2. Tech roll read, usmash or throw punish.

Usually safe:
1. Jump out of hit stun, higher percents only.
2. Tech roll into open space, usually safe.

Should we put this on the guide? Seems like a usefull setup,we could put this setup together with "Lemon Lock" or on the "Neutral B" section.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055

I think i posted the url with the time, but if is on the beggining of the video, skip to 2:07.

And i remembered, is the same setup that @ K Kronos2560 does in here http://gfycat.com/DampAggravatingCreature right?

Metal Blade hits!
Not Safe/Kill:

Potentially unsafe:

Usually safe:

Should we put this on the guide? Seems like a usefull setup,we could put this setup together with "Lemon Lock" or on the "Neutral B" section.
Eh. There are a few setups into Lemon Lock; item Metal Blade is just one of the better ones. Sourspot fair, dash attack, sweetspot nair, edgelip, and late Tornado Hold are other setups.

It's not a bad thought. I guess I could maybe add a note to Lemon Lock describing these setups, but it seems kind of weird to have an entry that amounts to "item Metal Blade is good and combos into things!"

Last edited:

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice

Metal Blade hits!
Not Safe/Kill:

Potentially unsafe:

Usually safe:

I liked that jump metal blade! I'll definitely use it.

And that other quote is the list of situations you can capitalize on when you land the metal blade. I think it's useful to know, but most of the crap on this board is decided by randoms who don't even compete, so who cares really? As long as it helps YOU, then that's what matters to me :)

Also, now that customs are legal, I started competing with them, and I gotta say that 1333 is my favorite one. Beat is his best recovery bar-none, and I'm disappointed nobody got a 1332 setup to compliment it. I even talked with AmazingAmpharos about it too, and it's too late.

Another reason why I don't like the fate of my character resting in the hands of randoms who play FG and beat their friends, but I'll save the rants for another day.

Glad you liked my MB stuff btw dude. :)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Went ahead and deleted the stuff that was patched out: Lemons with Item in Hand, Fsmash with Item in Hand, Utilt Cancelled Instabounce. Let me know if there are any others.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
The instant bounce is still there for me.
Huh. Well this is weird. I can do the Utilt Instabounce just fine on the WiiU, but can't do it on the 3DS. Tried it a bunch of different times and slowed things down to 1/4x speed and it just won't work no matter how I time it.

Can anyone else who has both versions confirm that this tech doesn't work on 3DS? I guess I should add the tech back to the OP, but I might have to caveat that it only works on the WiiU version...

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Beat is the best, you can't "beat" the danger wrap beat combo.

Not sure if it's an "advanced" technique but using beat and DW you can get a ton of hits using DW offstage and having it explode on the edge and keeping the opponent from edge guarding you. And beat allows you to still recover with the extra distance.

Also another nice trick is sending DW up through the bottom of maps like dellfino or sky loft.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What do you do before setting up down-diagonal Metal Blade into Mega Upper? Managed to pull it off a few times. Any good things to keep in mind for Mega Upper?

Also been using more Leaf Shield lately. It's a beast when it comes to canceling enemies' attacks and staying out of grabs.

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Pretty amazing tech!

From the looks of it, it seems the z-button is set to jump, just like the way a normal glide toss would work by canceling the jump. Apparently it only works by tossing upwards, what means there is something about the uptoss that creates this huge slide.

Cannot comfirm it for myself though (I am at work :p).

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
It's not a jump cancel. Oddly enough, it cancels a dashing item toss into a standing upwards item toss.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'll definitely be adding the DACIT or whatever we want to call it. I just need a little more time to play around with it so that I know for sure how it works. Don't want to tell people the wrong way to do it, or leave out variations.

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
In the posted thread a Link main explains how it is used with bombs in all directions. According to him this might also apply with Mega Man, but that the timing between the uptoss and sidetoss is different...
Cant wait to get home to test this 4 myself!

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Could we get Jump cancelled Up Special on the list.
It lets you Up Special out of shield
and out of a Dash

It also works for tossing Leafshield . Allowing to leafshield to be thrown OoS and Out of Dash

Although this is well known common AT I think its important to add.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Could we get Jump cancelled Up Special on the list.
It lets you Up Special out of shield
and out of a Dash

It also works for tossing Leafshield . Allowing to leafshield to be thrown OoS and Out of Dash

Although this is well known common AT I think its important to add.
It's already there.

You don't really need to use it to usmash OOS. Usmash out of dash is fine.

Didn't know about using it to throw Leaf Shield OOS. I can add a note about that.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
It's already there.

You don't really need to use it to usmash OOS. Usmash out of dash is fine.

Didn't know about using it to throw Leaf Shield OOS. I can add a note about that.
I said Jump cancelled Up Special. it is not on the list i checked.

As you know Dash is more limiting than Run and only alllows access to Side B, Jump, Usmash, Dash Grab etc. But you can use cancel jump to be able to Up B as well and I thought if upsmash is in the list well JC Up B should be as well especially since it is quite usefull for using Tornado Hold more offensively

Thanks

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I said Jump cancelled Up Special. it is not on the list i checked.

As you know Dash is more limiting than Run and only alllows access to Side B, Jump, Usmash, Dash Grab etc. But you can use cancel jump to be able to Up B as well and I thought if upsmash is in the list well JC Up B should be as well especially since it is quite usefull for using Tornado Hold more offensively

Thanks
aha. Misread that. Yeah, JC UpB is legit. I'll add it next time I update the guide.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Update time!

I added the new DITCIT tech, Jump Cancelled UpB, and Jump Cancelled Leaf Shield. I also re-added Utilt Cancelled Instabounce (with note saying its only doable on WiiU). Adjusted notes here and there.

I'm also trying something new: I added input images and a key. Hopefully this is easier for people to understand and process than my attempts to describe what to do with words. If not I can always revert back to the old descriptions.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Did we already know that with LS up we can can still perform all the neat metal blade item pick up techs, like instatoss?

Probably already known, but just in case! :)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Cool, glad you guys like it.

I went ahead and added another entry for short hop lemons, as we seem to get people asking about those all the time.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I have a hard time doing the "Arthritis Jump" with Mega Man. Short-hop Metal Blades requires intense precision since it's so easy to make him full-hop.

Also, how do jump-canceled Leaf Shields work?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I have a hard time doing the "Arthritis Jump" with Mega Man. Short-hop Metal Blades requires intense precision since it's so easy to make him full-hop.

Also, how do jump-canceled Leaf Shields work?
"Arthritis jump?"

Jump cancelled Leaf Shield is basically the same as JC Usmash or JC UpB.

While Leaf Shield is rotating around you, jump and immediately :GCU:+:GCA: or:GCU:+:GCB: or :GCCU:.

The only reason you'd ever want to do this is to toss leaf shield out of shield.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
"Arthritis jump?"

Jump cancelled Leaf Shield is basically the same as JC Usmash or JC UpB.

While Leaf Shield is rotating around you, jump and immediately :GCU:+:GCA: or:GCU:+:GCB: or :GCCU:.

The only reason you'd ever want to do this is to toss leaf shield out of shield.
When I realize I'm accidentally full-hopping with Metal Blade, I try even harder to short-hop it. This causes strain on my wrists. It seems easier to short-hop with other characters, but at this point - coupled with a simultaneous B Button press - it feels like a trial at this point.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
if you use a shoulder button for jump (as i do) i would say it would ease the speed at which you need to go from jump to b button, as you can have fingers on both for optimal time usage.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
if you use a shoulder button for jump (as i do) i would say it would ease the speed at which you need to go from jump to b button, as you can have fingers on both for optimal time usage.
I've honestly never understood why people use the shoulder button as jump. Early in my casual Melee days, when I was learning more about playing competitively, learning X/Y to jump was a work in progress for me, but then it became second nature. Since I've been doing it for so long, I'm honestly not sure at how much it would help at this point.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I've honestly never understood why people use the shoulder button as jump. Early in my casual Melee days, when I was learning more about playing competitively, learning X/Y to jump was a work in progress for me, but then it became second nature. Since I've been doing it for so long, I'm honestly not sure at how much it would help at this point.
Well, I used default melee controls(aside from tap jump off) until literally a month or 2 ago. The reason I made the change is having tap jump off makes certain techniques harder to perform properly/(as fast as possible) such as out of shield jump cancelled upsmash/upb. For example, to do a up b out of shield you have to hit jump and then up b, you spend some time moving your thumb to b from jump, but with L/R as jump you just instantly hit up b after. I know when testing out of shield options, it seemed like the slight loss of time from using X for cancelling vs L for cancelling made it not too useful.

it also helped me break my habit of using a plus control stick for aerials and let me swap to c sticking aerials consistently( as rather than having to hit x and move my thumb to the c stick i can now just have my thumb on the c stick for fast as possible aerials, in addition since i'm now c sticking aerials i have better momentum control in the air, and i'm less likely to accidentally do a bair/fair when trying to adjust my aerial momentum)

Hope this helped in any way to understand why I changed, feel free to ask questions on it if you have any :D

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
L to jump helps a ton for jump cancel glide tosses. And I use R for shield/dodges. No L canceling anymore!

Blue24

Smash Cadet
Extremely impressed with the organization of this guide.

On other notes, now I am tempted to try Shoulder jumpings as I always felt clunky with my aerials.

Top Bottom