• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's E for All Expo Report

HiIH

Smash Lord
I know this question has probably been asked about a thousand times as well but...

do you know if they kept the "advanced" techniques, or found a way to get rid of them, like L cancels, wavedashing, etc etc?

EDIT-on that note, are most of his attacks the same, like dair? That ties in more with the L-cancel question as well

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
GAH! I haven't been able to get on since forever. Well...not much news. I got a 360 Elite for Christmas, and since our TV isn't working, we're gonna get a nifty new HDTV. Brawl is gonna look greater on it.

I must say, these updates suck. The best one we've had recently (IMO) is the SE trailer. Looks awesome.

Oh yeah, and I got a date. ;)

Anyway...I'll be around for the next week, at least. Anyone who wants me to add them to my Wii Friends list, go ahead and PM me.

Polostick

Smash Apprentice
GAH! I haven't been able to get on since forever. Well...not much news. I got a 360 Elite for Christmas, and since our TV isn't working, we're gonna get a nifty new HDTV. Brawl is gonna look greater on it.

I must say, these updates suck. The best one we've had recently (IMO) is the SE trailer. Looks awesome.

Oh yeah, and I got a date. ;)

Anyway...I'll be around for the next week, at least. Anyone who wants me to add them to my Wii Friends list, go ahead and PM me.
ur rite. we got a bad one for xmas.
his coustume was all white in melee and pink in ssb64

iron blade

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if these questions have been asked already, sorry if they have.

Is the clawshot faster and does it have less ending lag if you miss?

Is the L cancel on Link's Dair any quicker than melee?

Florida

イーグランツ
I'm not sure if these questions have been asked already, sorry if they have.

Is the clawshot faster and does it have less ending lag if you miss?

Is the L cancel on Link's Dair any quicker than melee?
The clawshot is about the same as before. As for Link's dair complimented with the l-cancel, remember that there was no l-canceling. It was impossible to perform with the demo at E for All.

Don't forget his forward tilt is now about as fast as Young Link's! Also, the "yellow" costume is actually gold. Is there a difference? When it comes to colors, "gold" usually refers to "dark yellow."
Meh, no difference.

Granetdud

Smash Cadet
Hah! Take that tier list! I think it'll be a good year for Link!
oh, and you are god my friend.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Nice post but there is no info on Link's jab. Is that the same?
He doesn't remember; I asked.

Hah! Take that tier list! I think it'll be a good year for Link!
oh, and you are god my friend.
It doesn't matter what tier Link is in. He will still be the awesomest guy in existence.

Screw the tier list. If I cared about that kind of stuff, I would still use Link.
If I cared about the tiers, I wouldn't be maining YL.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I like that they updated Link. He was much too slow in the last game and his Up B had horrible lag that didn'tmake it all too good of an attack.
Grabted he lost the semi spike but everything else was buffed I say he's looking great.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
I like that they updated Link. He was much too slow in the last game and his Up B had horrible lag that didn'tmake it all too good of an attack.
Grabted he lost the semi spike but everything else was buffed I say he's looking great.
Actually, it was a great move for KOs and combos, although it had the potential to be n00bish if used too much. But aside from that, I completely agree.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
His UpB was a great move in melee, (but just like every other thread about the transition of playing a character) I don't think that version of it would be as effective as the new one will be in Brawl. The chargeable ability can really screw with recoveries and punishing him will be harder because it can be released immediately or delayed slightly (and there is less lag). And other than that, I think Link has received more buffs than he needed. :ohwell:

Also, his jab is the same but has more knockback on the third strike. I wasn't there but that "demonstration" video had it alot :)

Edit: btw, Link looks AMAZING! and possibly one of the better characters. Guess that's good news eh? :)

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
His UpB was a great move in melee, (but just like every other thread about the transition of playing a character) I don't think that version of it would be as effective as the new one will be in Brawl. The chargeable ability can really screw with recoveries and punishing him will be harder because it can be released immediately or delayed slightly (and there is less lag). And other than that, I think Link has received more buffs than he needed. :ohwell:

Also, his jab is the same but has more knockback on the third strike. I wasn't there but that "demonstration" video had it alot :)

Edit: btw, Link looks AMAZING! and possibly one of the better characters. Guess that's good news eh? :)
Nonono...the Illusion Stab.

link is awesome dont get me wrong but i like playin as him but not maining him
Welcome. Not me. He's my main.

Well, YL is actually.

Florida

イーグランツ
Hey fellas, it turns out that Link actually does have a purple costume. Someone translated some JumpFesta info, and one of the reporters mentioned a purple color for Link. I must be confusing the hell out of you guys xD. So, I was right from the beginning-- boo @ people who said otherwise.

I'll go ahead and add that to the first post, which I am currently re-doing! :)

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
I cant wait to beat ppl online with link XD.

Link looks alot better, but he will take alot of getting used to... He is the Most Changed veteran in the game (or tied with mario) we just gotta train with link alot :)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Nonono...the Illusion Stab.
Ok yeah, my bad twilight_hero
I actually have no idea :( Why doesn't anyone know this yet :confused:

Hey fellas, it turns out that Link actually does have a purple costume. Someone translated some JumpFesta info, and one of the reporters mentioned a purple color for Link. I must be confusing the hell out of you guys xD. So, I was right from the beginning-- boo @ people who said otherwise.

That's pretty cool. Hm...can't imagine it haha. What I really like about his colours is that BLUE doesn't look like BLACK!

I cant wait to beat ppl online with link XD.

Link looks alot better, but he will take alot of getting used to... He is the Most Changed veteran in the game (or tied with mario) we just gotta train with link alot :)
I wouldn't say that. Kirby has changed a ton, so has Bowser, and Samus has a larger frame and a different feel. Pika is a smaller "Foxish" feel and Yoshi has a completely different style of play. Even a new recovery. I think Peach, DK and Mario changed less than Link, but everyone else changed more.

And Link looks good, like REALLY good!
I think I say that every post about Link :laugh:

Aeramis

Smash Ace

Anyway we could get a pic or video of purple Link? I know probably unlikely but figured I'd ask anyway.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Ok yeah, my bad twilight_hero
I actually have no idea :( Why doesn't anyone know this yet :confused:

That's pretty cool. Hm...can't imagine it haha. What I really like about his colours is that BLUE doesn't look like BLACK!

I wouldn't say that. Kirby has changed a ton, so has Bowser, and Samus has a larger frame and a different feel. Pika is a smaller "Foxish" feel and Yoshi has a completely different style of play. Even a new recovery. I think Peach, DK and Mario changed less than Link, but everyone else changed more.

And Link looks good, like REALLY good!
I think I say that every post about Link :laugh:
Well, it's true.

Sm00th_Crim1nal

Smash Ace
I have two simple vital question. Does the clawshot when used for recovery automatically go toward the edge? And if so is it still able to latch onto walls? Are you able to run away and throw a bomb/boomerang the opposite way you are fleeing?

Bit-Bit

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. This is my first post on the Smash boards ever. I figured I should post here since in Melee, I play with Link exclusively. Sadly, my best friend plays as Samus and he usually has the upper hand. But he only beats me 3 times out of 5.

My main gripe was that Link's moves were a little slow to execute and didn't do as much damage as Samus. But with enough skills and maneuvering and being on the defensive all the time. I have been able to beat many opponents. Though I have never played at a professional Tournament, I cannot wait to play some of the best Link players on this board to see how ya'll play style differ from mine.

After reading the OP (which is btw the best coverage of Link I can find on the net) I feel much more confident that I did the right thing by playing exclusive Link.

Absolutely cannot wait.:)

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Does the clawshot when used for recovery automatically go toward the edge? And if so is it still able to latch onto walls?
The Clawshot can still latch into walls for recovery and it autosweetspots or hits whatever it can reach. You can still wait till reel it in after you land your tether shot as well. It can also autoaim if your facing away from the stage and still home in on the ledge for recovery. No clue if you can with the other question but I'm sure you would be able too.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
Just for emphasis: Link is awesome

Now that I've said what everyone knows already
I'm gonna keep maining Link in this game. He was my best character in Melee.
Although i'll admit I'm not the best Link player ever, I will still KO everyone:psycho:

Icannot wait to play this online

Thanks for this egruntz, cleared up a lot of questions for me.

joelthemole

Smash Rookie
Well Egrunts, Thank you for that info on Link. I happen to be a pretty decent Link in melee, and with all these upgrades, I'm afraid I am going to need some TP. Hope to play all you peepes online, I will have my wii friend code up soon.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be the Yellow Link, 'cos that sounds pretty awesome... Yellow Link. Or gold. Like the Trifroce.

I'm guessing they made a yellow version of him 'cos they already have Red, Blue and Green which represent Player 1, Player 2 and Player 4. They needed a colour for Player 3, so they made yellow!

That's what I think in anyways

The GERM

Smash Ace
I know something you don't know....

I have no idea if anyone mentioned this or not but I'm not about to graze through 24 effing pages to find out. This is one of the things I almost immediately noticed when I played Link for the first time in brawl, and in my opinion, a very important aspect.

- Link's up air can be L-cancelled. I don't mean L-cancelled as in pressing L, but just lag cancelled by doing it really close to the ground when fast falling. Just how **** is this technique you ask? well good sirs, very ****. The lag is completely taken away when landing, and not just like in melee, but like in 64 where there is almost zero lag after landing. I was able to fall through platforms with it extremely fast, waaaaaaaaaay faster than in melee and start juggles with it. It also seems that the hit box for his up-air has a bit more horizontal range now, making it easier to hit opponents with it while they're on the ground.

- The way this is performed is simple. Short Hop>Fast fall+UpCstick

- I really couldn't tell if this techniqe influenced any of his other aerials or not seeing as to how I played a grand total of maybe 15 minutes (Not only Link) or the aerials of other characters, just good to know that this game is implementing some sort of a means of cancelling aerials.

- There you have it bit**es, SHFFLed up-airs by the hero of time.

-The GERM~DBR

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Does Link still have his sex kick (nair)? 'Cos that can be really handy, espeically in Sudden Death

Doodle2000

Smash Cadet
Yes he does.

Does link survive longer in this game than he did in melee?
DI is still in the game right?

Top Bottom