• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would add the Skyward strike to Link's two-part forward smash.

If the forward Smash is fully charged:
a) it either becomes a different smash: the Skyward strike or
b) the second part of the attack is the Skyward strike

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Which style would you prefer to see Link take in Super Smash Brothers U and/or Zelda U?

Watercolored Link:

OR

Realistic Link:

I've read recently that they are planning on making the next Zelda in a similar style to Skyward Sword:
“They feel they’ve found the sweet spot with Skyward Sword, and they’re continuing this approach with the Wii U Zelda game”
So despite realistic Link's perceived higher popularity, it's seeming more likely we will get a model closer to the water colored Link in the next Smash.

Thoughts and preferences?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Regarding that quote, they didn't quite use that style for LttP2. Then it's obviously for the next console Zelda, which is many years in the future.

Given a choice, I'll choose the TP-esque realistic one in a heartbeat. :awesome:

The main reason for the apparent poor reception of SS Link's design is probably the goofy face. If they can fix that, then I can live with water coloured Link as well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, they fixed Link's face. Good enough for me. :)

Also noticed that Link in that image is holding the sword in his left hand. So I can say that he'll NOT switch his sword from left hand to right hand in the next Smash.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Also noticed that Link in that image is holding the sword in his left hand. So I can say that he'll NOT switch his sword from left hand to right hand in the next Smash.
I heard thats its rumored that sakurai just tweeted this based off an image a 4chan user posted. And even then i still think link will be right handed, they can switch his weapons for the figure all they want, but it still looks wrong when his sword harness is faced in the direction for a right handed swordsman.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think about it: all adult Links fighting left handed: low tier.

Right handed Link is tha future! :link2:

Rizen

Smash Legend
The SSBs Link has always been realistic adult Link that's basically OoT Link. SSBB Link is a cross between TP and OoT Link (looks like TP except is blond and left handed like OoT Link). I really hope they keep the realistic look. In that^ picture Link's reddish brown hair like TP, ALttP, Zelda1 and 2, and SS but the models are not very detailed (notice Charaizard) so Link could still look realistic and not like SS Link. Keep in mind Melee Link was much more realistic than the current adult Link of the time because he was last seen on the N64 when Melee launched. I predict the Wii U SSBs will have an awesome detailed take on all the characters following the Smash Bros series pattern.
Zelda in brawl was a brunette so Link switching back to his traditional reddish brown hair is not unlikely. He probably will be left-handed but hopefully not low tier.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Dirty blonde *****.

[/collaspe]

Link looked a lot better in the SS art than in the actual game :/
I wasn't a big fan of SS style and like TP better despite it being several years older.

vs TP Link

This is how the next Link in both SSBs and Zelda should look:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Regarding that quote, they didn't quite use that style for LttP2. Then it's obviously for the next console Zelda, which is many years in the future.

Given a choice, I'll choose the TP-esque realistic one in a heartbeat. :awesome:

The main reason for the apparent poor reception of SS Link's design is probably the goofy face. If they can fix that, then I can live with water coloured Link as well.
Huh? The next console Zelda is set to come out next year.
What makes you say many years in the future?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Are you talking about LttP 2 or Wind Waker HD?

If not either of them, then give a source please. :)
I think he means The Zelda that's launching (hopefully) holiday 2014 http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Zelda_Wii_U it's an all new Zelda but almost no info has been released about it. ALttP 2 and the HD WW are to get people through the wait, lol. New info should be released at E3. It's good nintendo is making quality games but the wait is hard :(.
SSB4 should release this year fortunately.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Are you talking about LttP 2 or Wind Waker HD?

If not either of them, then give a source please. :)
Perhaps that source is questionable, but there have been many hints at 2014.
More than that it would just be stupid for Nintendo to go without releasing an orIginal Zelda title soon after a console launch. Console sales depend on it.

I'm sure it'll be confirmed at E3.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
This is how the next Link in both SSBs and Zelda should look:
Thats literally no change from bralws, its just TP's link design with more detail and a better character model. As a link main id like him to at least get a visual design change if his moves remain unchanged, it would be boring to see him just show up looking exactly the same as he did in the previous game. SS link is easily the best choice, and plausible considering when they started development on this.
Perhaps that source is questionable, but there have been many hints at 2014.
More than that it would just be stupid for Nintendo to go without releasing an orIginal Zelda title soon after a console launch. Console sales depend on it.

I'm sure it'll be confirmed at E3.
In the nintendo direct for january they said they were working on the next console installment, but that it was taking longer then they had previously thought, because in looking back at old titles and their look thats what gave them the idea for wwhd. WWHD and a link to the past 2 are there to hold us over for a while, till they can give us an original console zelda, and we know the main zelda team is also working on ALTTP2 so that could cause an even longer dev cycle for the wiiu one. I highly doubt we will see anything of the new zelda this year at all when they still have to showcase whats actually coming out this year as far as zelda goes. Nintendo has learned from the past mistakes and they have started to only reveal their new titles when they are within a feasible launch window. The next zelda is further off than most people are hoping, and as ive said before there is no way they would show a new link in smash bros (which we know we will see around e3) before they show the actual game that design is derived from.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thats literally no change from bralws, its just TP's link design with more detail and a better character model. As a link main id like him to at least get a visual design change if his moves remain unchanged, it would be boring to see him just show up looking exactly the same as he did in the previous game. SS link is easily the best choice, and plausible considering when they started development on this.
He also has blond and is right handed with more item pouches. I didn't mean exactly like the demo; what I meant was he should get an awesome graphic boost. Like how they made Ganon here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XKHQXuXE8qc#t=36s you can see the hairs on his beard and I find that very cool :cool:

I hope it's not SS Link and it probably won't be considering SS Link has more blurred lighting which works with the pastille SS world but would look weird in a contrasty high tech environment (like Frigate).
http://www.andrewcampbell.me/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Zelda-SkywardSword-Screen-01.jpg
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery.../screenshots/normal_rvl_zeldass_08ss14_e3.png
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Twilight-Princess-Screenshot.jpg (It's easier to take <this into other game's environments)
In Brawl the detail like fabric textures is visible on Luigi's overalls etc. Even characters like Kirby and Pika have precise detail in lighting and textures. Yoshi comes from stylized games but has realistic lighting and detail in Brawl and looks good everywhere. The detailed look fits the SSBB universe better and works with various environments from different games like Metroid. With a HD graphic engine they really should have good graphics.

With that said, they easily could make a choosible color scheme be SS Link like how TLink in Brawl has ALttP colors.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
He also has blond and is right handed with more item pouches. I didn't mean exactly like the demo; what I meant was he should get an awesome graphic boost. Like how they made Ganon here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XKHQXuXE8qc#t=38s you can see the hairs on his beard and I find that very cool :cool:

I hope it's not SS Link and it probably won't be considering SS Link has more blurred lighting which works with the SS world but would look weird in a contrasty high tech environment (like Frigate).
http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/zelda-skyward-sword-hd_1/zelda_hd-3.png
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Twilight-Princess-Screenshot.jpg (It's easier to take <this into other game's environments)
In Brawl the detail like fabric textures is visible on Luigi's overalls etc. Even characters like Kirby and Pika have precise detail in lighting and textures. The detailed look fits the SSBB universe better and works with various environments from different games like Metroid. With a HD graphic engine they really should have good graphics.

With that said, they easily could make a choosible color scheme be SS Link like how TLink in Brawl has ALttP colors.
I get what your saying, but lighting wont be an issue at all since they wont be using the graphic engine from those games or those character models. The smash bros team will make their own models, and the look of them will mesh with the overall design of the game. So if SS link is in he will be more detailed and probably closer to the original artwork, but also with much more detail. It wont be an issue at all.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The defining SS model traits were based on an oil pastel look with less detail. Adding more detail to the SS design would go against the stylization. SS Link is basically TP Link but a little younger and softer with that stylization.

I guess it could work, maybe. I have trouble seeing how SS style could be adapted to HD graphics and stay true to the style.

The HD wind waker does look different

And imo SS style would be replaced even more.
Brawl TLink for comparison:

Which might be what you're talking about?

I could be wrong but seeing how they made Yoshi realistic and detailed in Melee and Brawl, it probably works better that way. Same goes for TLink with fabric wrinkles and stuff. I'm worried SS Link would lose the SS feel.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I pulled this up last time it was mentioned, but if dynasty warriors could do it, the SB team would have no problem doing it.

The design remains in tact, and thats all that matters since each character is being thrown in the mix so they will give them all a look that works well while retaining their designs. SSB4 would probably be similar only handled much better and with links proportions of course.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:/ that looks weird to me. It would look off in dark lighting like Frigate. It's a matter of opinion anyway.

It also looks out of place to the smash universe.
Luigi:

Brawl Luigi:

I like seeing character have realistic detail. It looks funny in a good way to see fabric on Luigi's overalls as he fights Ness and Snake, who have very different styles but don't look bad together due to SSBB's adaptations. I think the TP style fits the smash universe.

If Nintendo wants to attract a wider fan-base they need to take advantage of their HD graphics. They are going that way with games like Pikmin 3

which I think is a smart move.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, with that Luigi example, I can't help but say: If they can make cartoony characters like Luigi, Wind Waker Link and Pikachu etc look detailed and decently good in smash, they can make any character look decently good, no problem. And that includes Skyward Sword Link and Zelda etc.

Not to mention Lucas was only a cartoony chibi sprite before Brawl...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I dunno why, but I think that making SS Link realistic will turn him into TP Link.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You know, with that Luigi example, I can't help but say: If they can make cartoony characters like Luigi, Wind Waker Link and Pikachu etc look detailed and decently good in smash, they can make any character look decently good, no problem. And that includes Skyward Sword Link and Zelda etc.

Not to mention Lucas was only a cartoony chibi sprite before Brawl...
A mixture between SS Link and TP Link would be the best way to go in my opinion. And personally, I didn't mind the SS art style all that much.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I dunno why, but I think that making SS Link realistic will turn him into TP Link.
I'd think he would have a lighter colour pallet and his tunic basically looks a bit cleaner and less wrinkly. Kinda like HylianHeroBigBoss's image example except with SS Link's face of course and not whoever is dressed up as him.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So, in a way, a return to the series's roots. In Smash 64, the characters were dolls who were brought to life by Master hand.
Ah yes, I remember that... Man, that would be awesome!!! Maybe if they had a choice of a starter action figure that came with a 'Ultimate' edition.

ThatCoolKid

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't mind being able to roll the bombs.

Also after playing twilight princess and unlocking the ability to attach bombs to my arrows to make exploding arrows I immediately tried this out in brawl...sadly it didn't work.
The strange thing though is that you have the ability to Pull out a bomb and then pull out your bow and arrow or boomerang while still having the bomb equipped.

So what I would like to see is the ability to attach bombs onto your arrows by inputting the Bomb first and then activating the bow and arrow.

Ditch that Hurricane boomerang. (Maybe when the boomerang is used while Link is in motion it locks onto opponents Like Samus' Missiles do whenever Samus is Moving?)

And who wouldn't love to see the bug net as an alternate weapon XD. I loved using that in Soul Calibur 2!
Speaking of which Link's fully charges spin attack in SC2 would add flames to his sword, a fully charged sword spin should have more of a bonus like that.

Oh! and I believe in either melee or smash 64 if you pressed A quickly enough Link would do a rapid sword attack like captain falcons punches or fox's kicks.
It would be nice to see that make a return.

The thing where bombs were attached to the arrows were implemented in super smash flash 2

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

The likely reason as to why LttP2 is using that artstyle is just that - it's a direct sequel to A Link to the Past. Installments that don't have direct connections to previous games will probably only use the Squidward Sword and Wind Waker art styles.

So, in a way, a return to the series's roots. In Smash 64, the characters were dolls who were brought to life by Master hand.
It'd also look a lot nicer, IMO as they have their diverse art styles better celebrated instead of trying to get them to conform to some realistic Kirby style.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
If they can add realistic detail to toon link and have it look fine, the same can easily be done for SS link.
Id rather they made TP Link less realistic than make SS Link look more realistic................... if you know what I mean.

It's not about realism so much as it is about the TP design just looking better aesthetically.
The SS design makes him look like a gnome....

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Id rather they made TP Link less realistic than make SS Link look more realistic................... if you know what I mean.

It's not about realism so much as it is about the TP design just looking better aesthetically.
The SS design makes him look like a gnome....
Thats fine if you like the TP design more visually, thats your opinion, but there is no denying that they could get the SS design to look just fine in this game which is what we were talking about. I love TP's designs as well, i just want something different since i dont want to play as TP link for another half a decade when theres other possibilities out there that look just as cool IMO and could bring something new to the table.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Thats fine if you like the TP design more visually, thats your opinion, but there is no denying that they could get the SS design to look just fine in this game which is what we were talking about. I love TP's designs as well, i just want something different since i dont want to play as TP link for another half a decade when theres other possibilities out there that look just as cool IMO and could bring something new to the table.
Yeah if they make him look less stocky and fix his face for SSB4 then I wouldn't complain.

But for the next Zelda game I'm really hoping for some realism. I just tend to get more immersed in adventure games more when they're a little darker and grittier.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
But for the next Zelda game I'm really hoping for some realism. I just tend to get more immersed in adventure games more when they're a little darker and grittier.
Yeah i definitely agree there, i like different art styles for the series but i tend to feel the more detailed and darker zelda games usually have better atmosphere and feeling. As long as we dont keep seeing a ton more of toon link styled games ill be happy, just plain sick of that art design myself after so many games with it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also still like the idea of Bomb Arrows. It's something I quite missed in SS. Along with the secret sword techniques. Anyway, I still see Skyward Sword as the most likely game being featured for Zelda this Smash. And I think am gonna replay it soon.

Toon Link also is quite a good proof to use that SS Link would work good for Smash. Tbh, Smash shouldn't try to be overly realistic. And in Brawl, the Zelda cast was easily one of the more realistic designs, along with Snake of coarse. Even Marth and Ike looked a bit more cartoony than Link and Zelda.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skyward Sword design right?

Guess who told ya? ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom