• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The bow would not be gone for good. Toon Link would still have it and serve as a more "traditional" Link as a result.

Besides, if a boomerang that causes tornados doesn't break the core, why would a crossbow, which is still a type of bow and can shoot arrows, break it? Just because you don't have to hold the button to prepare the arrow?
So what, I suppose if Link were to use a special kind of bomb like say, a bombchu, it would break the core for not being a "regular" bomb?
EDIT: Hell, the crossbow could even be CHARGED like a regular bow, and it would turn the arrows into Bomb Arrows when charged.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Because TL is not the Link from every SSBs and less traditional than Link. Link has always been Link. People will disagree.

D

Deleted member

"Link has always been Link"?
There's more than one character that took the mantle of "Link" in Smash, OoT Link and TP Link.
Are you trying to tell me that either of those Links are "traditional", when a Link for the most part has been a child?

If anything, Toon Link (which is still just another character named Link, this time from WW/PH) serves as a more "traditional" Link, as Young Link did before him (as Sakurai has stated on his page on the Japanese Melee site).

Rizen

Smash Legend
^troll who doesn't read posts and argues for attention. *Ignoring*

Other, (non-clone) Links have potential for fun characters but SSB4 will not have tons of new characters so I doubt a Mask Link or SS Link will be added to be realistic :( . Link's problem in every SSB is he looks good in theory but his stats are nerfed; Link needs fine tuning.

D

Deleted member

Apparently having a different stance on a particular subject constitutes trolling these days.
Go back to 4chan. You seem more suited for that dreadful place than here.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Regardless of who is considered the "true link", most people won't associate Toon Link as the link of the OoT and Majoras Mask simply because of his cartoonish nature. Regular Link is always associated with the "greatest games" of the series(OoT, TP, SS). With WW and MM being the only 2 left out most people will relate young link to link simply because of their similarities in appearance/style leaving WW as the Toon Links shining game.

Not only that but Link was made before Toon Link so many see him as second banana to him.

D

Deleted member

"Link" is just a collective of names of the various main characters of the series, Toon Link included. He's not "Toon Link" anywhere else but Brawl. And if you want to get technical, WW Link came before TP Link if you want to talk about the Links in Brawl.

But this is besides the point, which originally started with the crossbow. It's within the bow category, so what's the big deal? I mean, OoT Link when he was the Link in Smash used the Fairy Bow and TP Link as the Link in Smash used the Hero's Bow (as did Toon Link). A Crossbow would work the same as it going by how you can still charge the arrows for it like the Fairy Bow and Hero's Bow in Smash. It just looks a bit different.

I mean, if the Gale Boomerang didn't break the core, despite having a different gimmick from regular boomerangs, what would make the Crossbow so bad?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Boomerang is used by Link (who is not Young Link, Zora Link or Toon Link) in:
The Legend of Zelda
ALttP
Link's Awakening.
Bit late, but technically, those are all young links, not adults.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was under the impression that the mechanism of a crossbow gives it an "all-or-nothing" shot. Like, you can't reasonably half-cock a crossbow shot and expect it to work well at all. It's either "fully-charged" or "not working."

D

Deleted member

What I mean by charging is similar to the Link's Crossbow Training game, you can charge it to shoot Bomb Arrows rather than regular arrows.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Technically Link's not really defined as either adult or child in early games. Based on the artwork for
LoZ:

But Smash Link is always adult.

Arrow locks could only work with a bow based on Reflex's post.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've never played Link's Crossbow Training, but if it's hitching a bomb to a crossbow bolt, it may as well be mandatory for if it's used when Link has a bomb in hand.

Either way, Link hasn't used a crossbow in any other game, so it would feel really out of place.

D

Deleted member

More out of place than Zelda using magic spells that were only in one game that weren't even used by her to begin with?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
More out of place than Zelda using magic spells that were only in one game that weren't even used by her to begin with?
Significantly so, because we don't see her in combat in any game but a CD-i title (which doesn't count), so we have no idea what she's capable of.

D

Deleted member

Not necessarily true.
We see that she has a power to hold people in place (could be translated into a paralysis technique) during the fight with Ganon in OoT.
A few Zeldas used Light Arrows (which didn't necessarily have to be a Final Smash), and the TP Zelda had a sword, which implied skills in swordsmanship. The OoT Zelda is also shown to be able to control time, something which could have been used for a Final Smash instead (if the Timer wasn't already an item and Shadow was either not an Assist or did not use Chaos Control).

Now of course, in Melee, none of that save for the holding in place could apply. But that was still something she did, as opposed to the magic spells Link used.
And at the same time, who's to say that Sakurai couldn't have just made up powers for her that aren't the three magic spells Link used? Afterall, he gave Sheik a chain and needles, which Sheik has not been shown to have.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not arguing about this.

To everything you just said, it was the most reasonable thing to do.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link could use bomb arrows with his bow in Link's Awakening and TP but it would hurt his combined projectile game imo.

Sheik's needles transitioned from melee to brawl's charge hold version without changing the move but improving it. I think charge hold fire arrows would work the same way and keep Link's uncharged bow options too.
Link first had silver arrows then light arrows in OoT but light is used by Pit and Zelda/Sheik and fire arrows feel like a good puzzle solving Link specialty. I think Young Link in melee had them but only for effect. The charge could be held by magic and would improve long range spamming without losing locks/quickdraw or being too rapid/overpowered. It would work like a slightly better charged arrow from Brawl and Melee's arrows dealt 18%, Brawl's were nerfed to 12% max.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Not necessarily true.
We see that she has a power to hold people in place (could be translated into a paralysis technique) during the fight with Ganon in OoT.
A few Zeldas used Light Arrows (which didn't necessarily have to be a Final Smash), and the TP Zelda had a sword, which implied skills in swordsmanship. The OoT Zelda is also shown to be able to control time, something which could have been used for a Final Smash instead (if the Timer wasn't already an item and Shadow was either not an Assist or did not use Chaos Control).

Now of course, in Melee, none of that save for the holding in place could apply. But that was still something she did, as opposed to the magic spells Link used.
And at the same time, who's to say that Sakurai couldn't have just made up powers for her that aren't the three magic spells Link used? Afterall, he gave Sheik a chain and needles, which Sheik has not been shown to have.
Pretty much this. I think it's silly that some people think that Link having a crossbow would only hurt him or it wouldn't fit in, while Link has been using a weapon since ssb64 that adult Link couldn't use in oot: The Boomerang (why not give him the fairy bow in ssb64?). Zelda using magic she never used, Sheik using needles and a chain, and pretty much Ganondorf's whole move set are examples as well (not as overlooked as the boomerang example though).

Also, this is smash bros. It should be obvious by now that anything goes.

:phone:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
"Link" is just a collective of names of the various main characters of the series, Toon Link included. He's not "Toon Link" anywhere else but Brawl. And if you want to get technical, WW Link came before TP Link if you want to talk about the Links in Brawl.

But this is besides the point, which originally started with the crossbow. It's within the bow category, so what's the big deal? I mean, OoT Link when he was the Link in Smash used the Fairy Bow and TP Link as the Link in Smash used the Hero's Bow (as did Toon Link). A Crossbow would work the same as it going by how you can still charge the arrows for it like the Fairy Bow and Hero's Bow in Smash. It just looks a bit different.

I mean, if the Gale Boomerang didn't break the core, despite having a different gimmick from regular boomerangs, what would make the Crossbow so bad?
I know all Links are Link but there's an obvious distinction between the them or we wouldn't be discussing them both. Adult Link was coined in OoT which was way before Toon Link. TP Link is virtually the same as that link visually.

The problem I see is that Link uses a regular bow(hero, fairy etc..) in almost every game and it would be weird to give him a crossbow at this point especially when he only used it in 1 game that really wasn't in the same spectrum of gameplay as the other Zelda games. Most people are gonna want him to be as cannon as possible.

Didn't the gale boomerang stir up a whole bunch of hate? Although that's slightly different cause they worked differently.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Didn't the gale boomerang stir up a whole bunch of hate? Although that's slightly different cause they worked differently.
Yep, lol. But most of that was because the boomerang was nerfed in lag, speed, range and damage from Melee. I like the gale because you can do stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS9ZLHcRFPU&feature=player_detailpage#t=166s :smirk:. The wind metagame is underdeveloped because how bad and unused Link is in Brawl imo. That's why I want it to return with buffs. Link is big on traps and spacing.

These were my original thoughts about the crossbow http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=15087227&postcount=110 . Let's accept people will agree or disagree.

Watercolor SS Link
ALttP colors
Magic Armor
Red- Goron tunic
Blue- TP Zora Armor with fins and face mask
Dark Link same as in Brawl
Shadow Link like the event match, little or no inner detail
Fierce deity Link but he'd have the MM mirror shield and normal length sword
Gold and lavender Links from brawl should stay but be made more stylized

None of these would change how he play, of course.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Pretty much this. I think it's silly that some people think that Link having a crossbow would only hurt him or it wouldn't fit in, while Link has been using a weapon since ssb64 that adult Link couldn't use in oot: The Boomerang (why not give him the fairy bow in ssb64?). Zelda using magic she never used, Sheik using needles and a chain, and pretty much Ganondorf's whole move set are examples as well (not as overlooked as the boomerang example though).

Also, this is smash bros. It should be obvious by now that anything goes.

It's not just about it "fitting in". A lot of casual players don't realize the implications behind changing/adding/removing moves and how this may impact how a character plays, for better or worse. I don't feel the crossbow would provide anything new and arguably leaves you with fewer options in terms of where your arrows can land.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why would the Hero Bow be replaced by something as obscure as a crossbow? If they would've done that, Brawl was the time to do so. Not expecting it now to happen, and why should they? Just make the bow able to shoot at angles, much like Bowser and Charizard's fire breath and improve the distance and damage uncharged arrows do. That way Link would never miss his Boomerang if it where to be replaced (by Skyward Strike I wish).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wish Nintendo would release information about SSB4 and the Wii U Zelda. They announced it at E3 2011 then left us in the dark for over a year.

To be realistic, Link will have the same basic moves and specials. They might be changed a little like Spin Charge (ugh) and Gale Boomerang were in Brawl but essentially he hasn't changed in the SSB series and probably won't. The only changes were Fsmash2, Zair and arrows added in Melee. I hope they give him the stats to be competitive next time; he has the moves/tools but gets horribly nerfed in each game :(.

Thinking about the possibilities is fun but ^that's the most I'm hoping for (hope springs eternal :/ ).

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
link is always going be in smash.link is a GREAT character people just don't know how to use him i have a friend who mains link and is good beyond all reason he even used to be toon link but switched to link because link's so good.it's scary to battle him if he's link.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
A crossbow wouldn't work because a bow just fits the character more. Also, it's a pointless change.

Link is one of those characters I don't think should change. He's a great brawler and has some decent specials and good killing moves. His recovery sucks, but beyond that, he's good.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lol Link is just as broken as Meta Knight, but the other way around. Outside of his Neutral Air, all his moves aren't fast enough to keep others at bay effectively. He's got so much lag on his moves that nothing outside of throwing bombs is really safe. He needs some serious buffs, and not just his recovery (which is easily one of the worst in the game)

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
The only thing i want to change about Link is his victory theme becuase the one in Brawl sucked and i prefer the ones from SSB and SSBM

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If that's the only thing you want changed about Link, I doubt you'll notice the difference. :reverse:

Rizen

Smash Legend
(Is this still going?)
I can't remember Link's victory theme in Melee and SSBs.

I wonder when info about SSB4 and Zelda for the Wii U will be released. It's taking forever :(

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's not just about it "fitting in". A lot of casual players don't realize the implications behind changing/adding/removing moves and how this may impact how a character plays, for better or worse. I don't feel the crossbow would provide anything new and arguably leaves you with fewer options in terms of where your arrows can land.
The reason being is because competitive Smash doesn't correlate to normal Smash. This is why there is a well defined tier list for competitive Smash but, at the same time, Sakurai says that everyone performs just as well online. There is a reason Link got nerfed in Brawl.

Link is a good character now. The only thing he suffers with is his recovery which isn't bad. It adds to the diversity of the roster. Link is what he is. A Brawling character who does well close up, but does have some projectiles too.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link is a good character now. The only thing he suffers with is his recovery which isn't bad. It adds to the diversity of the roster. Link is what he is. A Brawling character who does well close up, but does have some projectiles too.
Don't take this wrong but is this^ trolling?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Don't take this wrong but is this^ trolling?
No, it's not.

Balance isn't done at 1v1 level but holistically. Link was nerfed in Brawl because he was actually good in Melee. In a free-for-all he was very strong. He was toned down in Brawl. You can tell because of his up special. It was actually very strong in Melee and came out very fast. In Brawl, you need to charge it up.

Tournament play really wont be balanced because the team isn't making it a focus. What I'm looking at is a different context then the rest of the people in this thread (well, most).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Link totally should have done the Malo Mart dance as a taunt and/or victory animation.

It's weird because I stopped maining Link once Melee came. Idk why...Maybe they could make his recovery a little better. Then I'd be happy.

Anyway, here's a funny idea I had: Instead of Link using his sword for his Dair, he pulls out his Iron Boots. It basically does the same thing. So when Link is above people...BAM! he crushes them with his massively heavy footware.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
It should be a meteor smash, for all I know, good idea! But he might still get the downward thrust he always had...

Rizen

Smash Legend
(Music notes) "Link taunted. Link was smart. Link taunted the Malo Mart!"
lol
Iron boots would be cool but I still like his sword plant from Zelda II. Link basically already has iron boots; his fast fall is so fast.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
His D Aor should be as strong as it was in 64. U Air can also become stronger I feel. Other than that, a few speed buffs and having his Melee Up B attack would make Link a lot better already.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I wonder if we'll finally see a Link that looks graphically superior to the Link inSoul Calibur II. For the Zelda HD demo they should have based it off that model instead of the Twilight Princess one.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I think it would be neat if Link's neutral B was replaced with the sword beam/skyward strike. It'd be chargeable like the bow, but you could walk and jump while charging and choose what direction to shoot it in. Alternatively, you could be able to choose whether or not it was a vertical or horizontal slice, which would dictate how an opponent would be able to dodge it. Not sure if there should be a way to make it arch like the bow.

I know this would change things drastically... I mean, I main Link. But it would be cool to see something new.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I was thinking something similarly, but I was thinking that Link's Skyward Strike mechanic should be more like Wario's Wario Waft. The strike would increase in power over time, and by doing the Up+B players can unleash the strike horizontally if on the ground or diagonally if in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom