• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Personally I believe his side B should be changed back to the normal bomerang or made completly difrent mabey change it to the skyward strike since it is his newest attack in tye zelda games

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
It isn't Sakurai who balances Link which I find extremely odd. Someone from outside the team comes in and does it. It explains so much! It's as if this mystery person or persons who does do the job balances him in a way they think will be balanced with all the other characters. Only they gimp him every single time. There is no reason why Toon Link should have more knock back in Smash Attacks and just be better over all.

So if Link does return I please hope there is a huge amount of people balancing every character. The real question is why Sakurai does not balance Link himself. Sonic being late I can understand but Link?

:phone:
I thought I remembered reading somewhere Sakurai did all the "balance" quickly by himself and thats why all the Kirby characters turned out so well and groups of other characters from other franchises fell short. I could have been reading someone else's assumption though. But he is extremely biast, and thats an indisputable fact! Just look at Metaknight!

I may have a good idea here concerning Link's recovery and power, just hear me out.
Okay here it goes: How about if Link's up B was chargeable in much the same way as DK's Giant Punch? He could charge it in the air or on the ground inbetween attacks and hits, and could cancel the charge quickly too. You would have the choice of either unleashing a big power attack on the ground OR unleashing it fully charged in the air would GREATLY increase his vertical and horizontal recovery! A choice between raw power or a decent recovery.
What do you guys think?

jigglover

Smash Lord
1) The idea is kind of just copying DK...
2) The thing with meta-knight, is that I doubt Sakurai actually made him overpowered on purpose. Meta knight, and you can not disagree, is one of the fastest characters in the history of nintendo (I think, obviously deoxys-speed will be faster, and Sakurai didn't really have time to refine sonic.) and so it makes sense that in smash he will be fast. Now, obviously Sakurai went a little over-board with the speed factor, but, and this is a big but, Meta-knight is actually pretty weak. Obviously not weak over-all, but if you look at the stats, Meta-knight, in terms of knock-back and actual strength, is pretty damn weak. Not to mention his final smash, in certain situations it is actually worse than Peach's, and her's is usually unanimously the worst. It turns out that Sakurai might have tried to do the opposite of Bowser, Bowser is very slow but extremely powerful, and meta-knight is very weak but extremely quick. It just turns out speed is more important than Power in brawl (personally, I disagree, since I main Ike, but whatever.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi Zane:bee:!
Meta knight, and you can not disagree, is one of the fastest characters in the history of nintendo
Lol, I disagree. In Nightmare in Dreamland MK was a bonus playable character. Kirby was faster. MK's sword could solve all the puzzels but was worse for comboing than Kirby's sword ability or Link's attacks in the 3D Zeldas. In Superstar Ultra (after SSBB) MK's moves match his Smash moves better but he's not nearly as fast or versatile. TP Link had better swordplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XiDpS8r95s&feature=player_detailpage#t=305s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UVm4snX6Ay8#t=48s

Anyway, MK discussions can go on forever but this is Link's thread.

Giving Link a different special move like Skyward Strike would change his character and zoning too much, IMO. Link's always had his boomerang and I like the return attack.

Link could be quickly gimped if he charged upB in the air. I prefer boosting his stats and having a similar upB to Melee's.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Personally, I've always viewed Link in SSB as an amalgamation of all the various Links up to that point, and not as just the Link from whatever game he's borrowing his character design from. So I think replacing any of his specials with "flavor of the month"(so to speak) specials is stupid and would only end up feeling gimmicky. Also, his current moveset is fine and just needs adjustments in things like damage, knockback and priority.

In other words: Link is fine, no need to radically alter his moveset.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I've always viewed Link in SSB as an amalgamation of all the various Links up to that point, and not as just the Link from whatever game he's borrowing his character design from. So I think replacing any of his specials with "flavor of the month"(so to speak) specials is stupid and would only end up feeling gimmicky. Also, his current moveset is fine and just needs adjustments in things like damage, knockback and priority.

In other words: Link is fine, no need to radically alter his moveset.
I agree entirely. Still his recovery is lacking.
My thought is make his B-up similar to Toon Link's current one, with the vertical and horizontal recovery it gives. maybe not that much, but you get the idea.
Then Toon Link gets a different recovery, say the Deku Leaf from Wind Waker. It just shoots him upward spinning rather quickly. I guess like Wario's but less about damage and more speeding upward. then can keep it to move horizontally easier like G&Ws parachute.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Gimicks to consider

My thought is make his B-up similar to Toon Link's current one, with the vertical and horizontal recovery it gives. maybe not that much, but you get the idea.
Like in Brawl- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtn2OGghrw&feature=player_detailpage#t=75s ?

Fire Arrows: Sheik can hold her needle charge in Brawl, Link should be able to charge an arrow to a fire arrow and move with the charge.

Bombs can be pulled in hit stun: This would be awesome for recovering and stoppong CGs and juggles. Link couldn't throw the bomb but it would explode in 7 seconds which stops infinites.

Hover Boots: Like Peach's floating, hold jump and Link will walk (with ice traction) and be able to use ground moves for a very short time. UpB from hovering would cancel into an air upB.

Optional double clawshot: press grab then grab again and Link will shoot a 2nd clawshot behind him to catch rolling opponents. If he grabs 2 opponents in a 2vs2 or FFA Link will throw both with a spin attack motion. Link should grab enemies out of the air with the tip claw part too; ZSS can do it.

Shield Bash: Power Shielding will make Link shield bash and reflect projectiles. It's time his Hylian shield did something.

Walking keeps Link's Hylian Shield raised. Stun and push back would still apply.

Bigger Hylian shield and Link shouldn't drop his guard like in Melee.

Gale boomerang pulls stronger and has a little influence on shields. The wind should do a small amount of damage with no hitstun.

Wind jumping: The returning Gale Boomerang would give Link a small upward boost in the air as he catches it. That way it would slightly help his recovery instead of hurting it.

Dair's landing has wind like Toon Link's. No auto fast fall Dair even if Link starts when falling (but can be FFed).

Uair with little or no landing lag.

Sword Beams: Fully charged smashes and Spin attacks would fire a sword beam for extra damage. Fsmash 1 or 2, Usmash 3rd cut traveling up, Dsmash both sides for a shorter distance and Spin Attack like in Skyward Sword. They would have minor stun but not override the launch power of the smash/spin attack if it hits.

Armor frames for Spin Attack and Fsmash 1 and 2: Other characters have these. Why is Link always nerfed? Not a lot of armor, just the first few frames of attack.

Dtilt spike hit bubbles should have priority over the non-spiking ones. Cut the lag too.

Rolling bombs: Pull bomb>crouch>DownB and Link will roll the bomb instead of Fthrow it.

Illusion stab, rapid jab: a buffed version of Melee's.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Those are really good! I hadn't really thought of other aspects he could be improved. I knew there were possibilities, but you've gone all out with this! I had thought of the sword beam and the illusion sword from melee, that's really it. Nice ideas!!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Link could be quickly gimped if he charged upB in the air. I prefer boosting his stats and having a similar upB to Melee's.
Of course he would but I'm talking about being able to charge in much the same fashion as DK, Samus, or Lucario charge their Neutral B moves-being able to charge it here and there during the match and saving it for later, not being forced to have to charge it in the air and then get the boost. And his B-up attack would still be the Spin Attack of course! He just has the option to charge it now like a Neutral B move, use it later on the ground for a stronger, maybe wider spin with more range or save it to recover with greater vertical and horizontal distance. I dont think its unfair or copying another character since lots of other characters have this chargeable/cancel with a sheild or air dodge option with one of their B moves. Link just gets this option attached to the Spin Attack to hit harder or recover better.

Then Toon Link gets a different recovery, say the Deku Leaf from Wind Waker. It just shoots him upward spinning rather quickly. I guess like Wario's but less about damage and more speeding upward. then can keep it to move horizontally easier like G&Ws parachute.
Yes! That's kinda near what I'm talking about here, make his recovery like that if you have a full charge after your sent flying. And also they have to bring back the aerial control he had with it Melee, none of this "it's based on your forward momentum crap". That's a big part of the reason his recovery is so horrid! Everytime you recover youhave to fall towards the stage in the same exact predictable pattern in order to get the most reach out of the move! And also let his Hookshot/Clawshot act like it did in Melee so he can have more reach and another recovery option, the way it zooms in on the edge in Brawl doesnt even make it a viable recovery option, just a good edge hog.
And I also agree his moveset and character properties should stay mostly the same, just give him a little more speed and less lag on some of his moves.
ALSO please let him be able to strike his own bombs again! It helps out so much with recovery and gives him a few more options! Thats why I think he suffered so much in Brawl, they took away alot of his options he had before so now hes more slower and ALOT more predictable!

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I'm just saying that's not how I'd improve his upB. It's all brainstorming.
Click the '+' at the bottom of a quote then 'quote' on another to multi-quote btw.
Those are really good! I hadn't really thought of other aspects he could be improved. I knew there were possibilities, but you've gone all out with this! I had thought of the sword beam and the illusion sword from melee, that's really it. Nice ideas!!
Those accumulated from many, many 'how to improve Link' discussions, lol. I typed 'stoppong' CGs heh heh. I was tired.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Fire Arrows: Sheik can hold her needle charge in Brawl, Link should be able to charge an arrow to a fire arrow and move with the charge.

Bombs can be pulled in hit stun: This would be awesome for recovering and stoppong CGs and juggles. Link couldn't throw the bomb but it would explode in 7 seconds which stops infinites.

Shield Bash: Power Shielding will make Link shield bash and reflect projectiles. It's time his Hylian shield did something.

Walking keeps Link's Hylian Shield raised. Stun and push back would still apply.

Wind jumping: The returning Gale Boomerang would give Link a small upward boost in the air as he catches it. That way it would slightly help his recovery instead of hurting it.

Uair with little or no landing lag.

Armor frames for Spin Attack and Fsmash 1 and 2: Other characters have these. Why is Link always nerfed? Not a lot of armor, just the first few frames of attack.

Dtilt spike hit bubbles should have priority over the non-spiking ones. Cut the lag too.

Rolling bombs: Pull bomb>crouch>DownB and Link will roll the bomb instead of Fthrow it.

Illusion stab, rapid jab: a buffed version of Melee's.
^ ALL THESE=GREAT IDEAS!

Click the '+' at the bottom of a quote then 'quote' on another to multi-quote btw.
Thanks, I didnt know I could do that but now I do! :)
So how would YOU go about improving his recovery? Because we all have to admit that's probably his greatest flaw and it needs the most improvements out of every other catagory.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So how would YOU go about improving his recovery? Because we all have to admit that's probably his greatest flaw and it needs the most improvements out of every other catagory.
Boosting Link's sideways air movement speed, raising his jumps slightly, making UpB be more like Melee's with longer distance and the ability to create it's own sideways momentum is how I'd fix Link's recovery. He'd still be at the shorter end of recoveries but it would be enough to work. /IMO
I think Link's biggest flaw is his lag. Link has a frame 6 jab as his fastest ground move and a lot of windup and/or end lag on many moves:urg:. Ike for example has a lot of lag too but a great frame 2 jab that cancels well and his grab's decent. If Ike had a slow grab and frame 6 jab I bet he'd be a low tier.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Ike kicks your ***! :troll: Seriously though, Ike has lots of handy things to prevent him going low tier with the stupid amount of lag Link gets. Although actually, what's the use in a counter if your opponent is on the other side of the pitch when you use the actual attack?
(I main Ike by the way, simply for his playstyle, since I'd never heard about FE before smash, and now I have, I don't care about it!)

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
@Rizen - perhaps you should watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yY0TQMgH3k
In none of the Meta Knight fights in this video do I spam jumping, and it's all because Meta Knight is faster than Kirby by too much to make air-to-air combat possibly a good idea. Most of my jumps in the fights were because Meta Knight is absurdly unpredictable with when he pulls his dash charge attack shenanigans, to the point where I actually have a momentum-based reason to want him in his Turns Red phase at first convenience.

Oh, and guess what? Dark Meta Knight in Amazing Mirror isn't any friendlier about air-to-air either. If anything, he's even more nasty, simply because he hounds you like a rabid dog, so you won't even make it to the skies before getting nailed. In fact, as it is, you have to keep a steady defense simply to keep DMK from cornering you.

1) The idea is kind of just copying DK...
2) The thing with meta-knight, is that I doubt Sakurai actually made him overpowered on purpose. Meta knight, and you can not disagree, is one of the fastest characters in the history of nintendo (I think, obviously deoxys-speed will be faster, and Sakurai didn't really have time to refine sonic.) and so it makes sense that in smash he will be fast. Now, obviously Sakurai went a little over-board with the speed factor, but, and this is a big but, Meta-knight is actually pretty weak. Obviously not weak over-all, but if you look at the stats, Meta-knight, in terms of knock-back and actual strength, is pretty damn weak. Not to mention his final smash, in certain situations it is actually worse than Peach's, and her's is usually unanimously the worst. It turns out that Sakurai might have tried to do the opposite of Bowser, Bowser is very slow but extremely powerful, and meta-knight is very weak but extremely quick. It just turns out speed is more important than Power in brawl (personally, I disagree, since I main Ike, but whatever.)
Exactly what I'm saying. If power could be made as its own, more unique and strategic advantage, Meta Knight would be far less of a worry.

Oh, and as for the Up B, like I say, allow for being able to charge it up in midair. Being unable to do that is rather dumb.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Playing as a character is very different from playing against them as a boss. As a playable character he acted differently. Boss MK was usually under DDD in Kirby bosses and never gave me trouble. I don't see your point; Ganon should be the best character by that boss logic.
Brawl MK>>>>>>>>>>every other MK (who have lots of attack lag). I don't want to spam with MK discussions so I'll stop.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
First off, Dedede is laughable to No Damage Run in general even without abilities. Especially in comparison to Meta Knight. If you don't believe me, try fighting Meta Knight without using abilities (aside from the completely forced Sword grab in Kirby's Adventure) in ANY Kirby platformer that isn't Squeak Squad, where his AI is borked enough to allow for freaking air camping.

Secondly, my point to you is that Meta Knight is faster than Kirby. That's all.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I Agree!

I think Link's biggest flaw is his lag. Link has a frame 6 jab as his fastest ground move and a lot of windup and/or end lag on many moves:urg:. Ike for example has a lot of lag too but a great frame 2 jab that cancels well and his grab's decent. If Ike had a slow grab and frame 6 jab I bet he'd be a low tier.
I agree completely! Cut the lag please! It just doesnt make any sense that other characters with much more powerful moves are so much quicker and almost lag free! Not mention most of them can move faster on the ground and have better aerial speed too! Sakurai is a big jealous meanie!
And I agree with everything you said about improving his recovery, its just my idea is that + being able to charge it when ever you want in the same fashion other characters charge their Neutral B moves. So you can either choose to save it for a longer recovery or have a more powerful, more ranged spin attack on the ground. How can this be considered a bad idea?

Oh, and as for the Up B, like I say, allow for being able to charge it up in midair. Being unable to do that is rather dumb.
Yes! I have a supporter here!

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Thank you. Although I don't know if it should be DK-esque chargeup. But if it still doesn't let Link gimp safely, I'm not complaining beyond thematic reasons.

And I wouldn't find extra reach on the Up B a good idea, since it's is really supposed to be a punishment move to keep it from being mindless. What I'd rather do is give Link an actual air game to be able to actually force multiple jump opponents to try to move onto the ground. It would indirectly buff the Up B by making it more useful to dash right next to where the opponent would land and then bam, they're taking an inescapable Up B.

The general lag issue. What I'd rather do at least is tone up reasons to have better defensive power and avoid having worse. Defensive power is supposed to be a good equalizer against speed advantages, and having it suck makes Link, ROB, Bowser, and other such characters cry.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why I don't support the Spin Attack charge hold is because Link needs to be throwing projectiles/attacks out fast to space and keep from being cut out of the air. He rarely would have time to use it and would recover better with a fast upB and projectile cover.
I'm also a fan of Melee's Spin and want to go that direction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAltBANMEVE&feature=plcp
Link has good tools that I think would be fine with an overall character buff and less lag. He's a spacing character who's too slow and immobile to space.

"Lag, bad OoS, risky grab, bad mobility, bad recovery, fast falling speed, slow sideways air speed, easy to grab, can be CGed by several characters, easy to gimp, easy to shield, and easy to damage/juggle are a horrible combination of cons."
All Link's downsides work together to make him bad but I think reduced lag, then better mobility (specifically side air speed) alone would make him tourney viable (like Wolf, sort of).

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
besides, let's not forget here who just moved up a ton on the tier list, Olimar, who's recovery is a small hop and a tether...
Not exactly briming with excellence but it has it's places, but It's his incredible frame advantage/mobility/surprising wealth of power/and one of the best damage racking skills in the game...

Link doesn't need an amazing recovery, just a good one, and the rest of his game should be balanced to make having to recover less of a problem for him. Less ease of cg's, better OoS due to frame data improvements, and a projectile game that would force more airborne opponents to fight on his terms, is what would bring Link past his low tier legacy.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I always figured Link woud have plenty of opportunties for Bomb pulls, Boomerang spacing, and Spin Attack charges if they bumped up his aerial speed, ground speed, and fixed up his start up and ending lag on a lot of his moves. And besides it would just be another option, again its not something that your forced to use to recover well, its just there to make his recovery longer if you want.
And in the end whats wrong with having access to more options and therefore being more unpredictable?

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
I always figured Link woud have plenty of opportunties for Bomb pulls, Boomerang spacing, and Spin Attack charges if they bumped up his aerial speed, ground speed, and fixed up his start up and ending lag on a lot of his moves. And besides it would just be another option, again its not something that your forced to use to recover well, its just there to make his recovery longer if you want.
And in the end whats wrong with having access to more options and therefore being more unpredictable?
I believe he means that Link's recovery should be bolstered charge or not, and the Link we have now wouldn't have time to waste on a charge up. If the charge functioned somewhat like Diddy's recovery where he could extend it "even" further, maybe. If that, I'd still like to be able to sway towards the stage while charging it.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I believe he means that Link's recovery should be bolstered charge or not, and the Link we have now wouldn't have time to waste on a charge up. If the charge functioned somewhat like Diddy's recovery where he could extend it "even" further, maybe. If that, I'd still like to be able to sway towards the stage while charging it.
Funnily enough, that's what I'm thinking of.

Naturally, though, that's not the only problem. Link needs to be able to make use of defensive power so that he can actually reward smarter play.

Suicide Noize

Smash Rookie
every super smash bros there was a new link. (from zelda)

Super Smash Bros - Link
Super Smash Bros Melee - Young Link
Super Smash Bros Brawl - Toon Link

What about they do

Super Smash Bros Universe - Deku Link (From majoras mask)

I have a skill set. But idk the wii U controls that well.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman

Super Smash Bros - Link

What about they do

Super Smash Bros Universe - Deku Link (From majoras mask)

I have a skill set. But idk the wii U controls that well.
Sorry to redirect you again, but if you haven't already, take a look at this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324322

That's where the Majora's Mask Link fans are hanging out

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I want to see Link in botton tier again on SSB4.

:awesome:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd like it if Link got a new item added to his move set to help with his recovery. It would be great if Link had his hover boots from OOT. It would work like Peach's float mechanic but it would last for 2-3 seconds when holding jump.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'd like the new Link not to have a boomerang. Adult Link rarely uses one, and it would add to the difference between "Link" and "Toon Link." Perhaps give him the beetle from Skyward Sword instead, with a PK Thunder-style control capability.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but why not a crossbow for Link while Toon Link keeps the bow?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but why not a crossbow for Link while Toon Link keeps the bow?
[FONT=&quot]Fire!

/jk

Not my taste but that's okay.

It's interesting how people come up with similar ideas.

It's also interesting how this fails to post and I have to retype when I'm in a hurry. [/FONT]

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
How useful is Links dash attack again? I was thinking maybe it should get replaced with a weapon like the Megaton Hammer (or maybe his Dtilt?). Idk, I just would like to see Link get a new tool for his move set.

@Golden. Let's give Link one of these.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Because Link only used a crossbow in one game. And I don't care that Crossbow Training is "recent", adding moves to characters just to represent "recent" games is what got us Mario's Brawl moveset. Same thing applies to anyone who suggests his boomerang be replaces with the Beetle.

Super Smash Bros - Link
Don't try to point out patterns where none exist. Arguing for character likelihood based on "patterns" is incredibly flawed for a number of reasons.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Because Link only used a crossbow in one game. And I don't care that Crossbow Training is "recent", adding moves to characters just to represent "recent" games is what got us Mario's Brawl moveset. Same thing applies to anyone who suggests his boomerang be replaces with the Beetle.
Link only uses crossbow in one game. NO CROSSBOW.

(adult) Link only uses boomerang in one game. BOOMERANG MUST STAY.

Is that the thrust of your argument?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Link only uses crossbow in one game. NO CROSSBOW.

(adult) Link only uses boomerang in one game. BOOMERANG MUST STAY.

Is that the thrust of your argument?
The Link in Smash is supposed to be(in my mind, anyway) an amalgam of many different Links, and his moveset should reflect that. Ergo, the bow(which has been a part of Links arsenal since the first game) shouldn't be replaced by and item(the crossbow) that has appeared in precisely ONE game, and a spinoff designed to promote a piece of plastic at that.

Rizen

Smash Legend
(adult) Link only uses boomerang in one game.
Boomerang is used by Link (who is not Young Link, Zora Link or Toon Link) in:
The Legend of Zelda
ALttP
Link's Awakening
OoT/OoA
TP

Soul Calibur II

SSB
SSBM
SSBB

Link wasn't defined as young/old until OoT but he did have adult proportions in earlier games like ZeldaII. Smash Bros defines Link as adult by default and Young Link, Toon Link as additional characters but all of them have the boomerang.

Personally I'm against any fundamental changes to 'Link' in the SSB series but another, alternate Link with changes like Mask Link (someone mentioned earlier), SS Link (with beetle, sail cloth etc) would be okay.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Idea!
You know how if you press down on the c-stick while holding a bomb you just blow yourself up. Why not change that to rolling bombs but keep his downward bomb throw in the air.

Also, if he discards a bomb while on the ground it will stay on the ground for a set period of time so you can place them down strategically.

D

Deleted member

@Shinpichu: The point was to differenciate Link and Toon Link a bit more without being too bizzare.
At least Link using a crossbow isn't too farfetched, considering there is a game about it.

And if using it in "precicesly one game" is an issue, why is Link using the Gale Boomerang in Brawl? That was only in TP and remains to be only in TP.

How about pretty much Zelda's whole moveset? The magic spells she uses for her specials (which she never even used, btw) are exclsuive to OoT. And even turning into Sheik, who while planned for TP with concept art, didn't make it into the game, was exclusive to OoT and nothing else.

Mario's Cape? While he never used it to reflect things, the Cape itself is exclusive to Super Mario World.

How about Peach's Vegetable technique? That's exclusive to Super Mario Bros. 2. Same with her floating power. Her frying pan? From Super Mario RPG only.

The Bowser Bomb? Bowser only used it in Super Mario Bros. 3.

Need I go on with more examples?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Idea!
You know how if you press down on the c-stick while holding a bomb you just blow yourself up. Why not change that to rolling bombs but keep his downward bomb throw in the air.

Also, if he discards a bomb while on the ground it will stay on the ground for a set period of time so you can place them down strategically.
This sounds like a unique idea. If you could change teh spee od the roll slightly, that could possibly bait your opponent and set up for a combo. and many other things that are pretty much mind games.

D

Deleted member

I liked it when Link could lightly toss bombs and if the impact wasn't that great with the ground, they would not explode and just sit there for a while in Smash 64. I want that back.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The crossbow was just promotional software for the scope hardware that borrowed from TP; it wasn't even it's own game.
Bow and arrows are essential to the Zelda franchise and Link in fighting games; like sword, bombs and boomerang. There are no wrong ideas when brainstorming but imho, keep the bow.

This is how I'd roll bombs (posted earlier) http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14990199&postcount=87 great minds think alike :)

The only changes I want for Link are stat boosts (air speed/recovery distance/less lag/etc) and: buffed boomerang wind, charge an arrow to make a fire arrow that can be released like Sheik's needles, Melee's Spin Attack, more useful Hylian shield (bigger, never drops guard when standing like Melee, and shields while walking), roll bombs, a good Dtilt spike, short armor frames for Fsmash and Spin Attack (Like Squirtle's Fsmash) and a few other minor things.
But nothing that changes his core character in the SSB series or he wouldn't be Link. Brawl Link could have been a great character if he wasn't horribly nerfed :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom