• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Some more notes on Link

Nintendo Treehouse Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtR6Jx_Dlu8#t=209

3:15 New stab get up attack from ledge

4:35 +5:35 Dash attack now a good KO move (14%)

Noticed Dash attack has quite a bit of vertical knock back when link lands the attack closer to his body
Adding to this, Link doesn't drop his Hylian shield when idly standing shown at 2:55. Link's arrow charge faster too :)
I'll edit more in...

Edit, 3:20 Zair is back; hopefully it still landing cancels and hits 2 times.
4:53 jab is faster :)
5:00 the wind effect is slanted: it might be able to drag opponents down. In Brawl it only pulled sideways.

Last edited:

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
@ Rizen Rizen YO MY BRAWL LINK BUDDIES THO?! Aw man, we are in there dude! I am loving Link so hard, even from my one game. I am really looking forward to play Link, since he seems a bit better than he did in Brawl. The best thing is that new upB. Ughghghg, so great. I really want to main Link in this game, so bad. Also, zair is amazing. Definitely faster than Brawl's.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^That's Link's Final Smash. He shoots out a line of light at an opponent; if it hits, he warps in for a Triforce slash.

Last edited:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Heh. That's a cute little bug. I'd be surprised if that wasn't fixed by release

Rizen

Smash Legend
Weird. My youtube was being dumb so I guesstimated the time and thought it was during the Triforce slash.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Am I correct in saying Link can't charge the Spin Attack any more? I'm a little bummed about that, even though I hardly do charge it in Brawl. Hope it returns as one of the two customisable variants the move gets, but I have no idea what aspect would be weakened to be given the ability to charge. Perhaps a weaker base strength, but a fully-charged Spin Attack tops that of the regular.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Am I correct in saying Link can't charge the Spin Attack any more? I'm a little bummed about that, even though I hardly do charge it in Brawl. Hope it returns as one of the two customisable variants the move gets, but I have no idea what aspect would be weakened to be given the ability to charge. Perhaps a weaker base strength, but a fully-charged Spin Attack tops that of the regular.
No, Link can charge his spin attack. He could in the build I play at least. The uncharged version, however, did feel a little bit stronger.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
No, Link can charge his spin attack. He could in the build I play at least. The uncharged version, however, did feel a little bit stronger.
Oh, really? That's great. I can't help but wonder what the actual customisation options will be, then.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
@ Rizen Rizen YO MY BRAWL LINK BUDDIES THO?! Aw man, we are in there dude! I am loving Link so hard, even from my one game. I am really looking forward to play Link, since he seems a bit better than he did in Brawl. The best thing is that new upB. Ughghghg, so great. I really want to main Link in this game, so bad. Also, zair is amazing. Definitely faster than Brawl's.
I feel u man!

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Liking what I see of Link in Smash 4 thus far, sadly didn't get to play the demo but I've heard alot of positives.

Other then the Gale Boomerang still existing and no semi spike spin attack ^^;

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
During the demo I was able gimp a mario pretty hard with the gale effect, and fully charged spin attack is the equivalent of being hit by a train.

Dunno about anyone else, but it seems like meteor attacks in this game cause a significant bounce when they smack into the ground. I was able to get D-air spike in to second hit F-air in my second match. It was sort of a goofy combo, but everyone there sure liked it.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
During the demo I was able gimp a mario pretty hard with the gale effect, and fully charged spin attack is the equivalent of being hit by a train.

Dunno about anyone else, but it seems like meteor attacks in this game cause a significant bounce when they smack into the ground. I was able to get D-air spike in to second hit F-air in my second match. It was sort of a goofy combo, but everyone there sure liked it.
This is good to hear ^^

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Link's up special looks like it has a semi-spike. Skip to around 2:02.

*edit- On the other hand, it could be a stage spike. I'll remain optimistic however.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi Jedi :)

Link's up special looks like it has a semi-spike. Skip to around 2:02.
*edit- On the other hand, it could be a stage spike. I'll remain optimistic however.
I think it just didn't launch Villager very far and he fell with normal gravity but it's hard to tell.

Good work Zane! Does the gale wind pull opponents down? I wonder if Dair can combo into Dair if the opponent doesn't tech.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
1: Does the gale wind pull opponents down?
2: I wonder if Dair can combo into Dair if the opponent doesn't tech.
1: You can throw the rang at the lip of the stage like brawl and it will carry them opposite of the way it hit the stage.
2: Yup, as long as the second hit is the non-spike I can see it being pretty powerful. The difficulty is that D-air doesn't auto-cancel fast enough for it to be a legit BNB combo.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
So how good is the wind effect coming back in the Gale Boomerang? Is it still like Brawl's, or does it have more of a pull, similar to Link in SSF2?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Hopefully Link gets buffed in this iteration of Smash. I want to see Link be high-tier this time and Marth can drop to low.

Linkguy30

Smash Rookie
It seems that nothing has changed about link except the color of his clothing and i find this sort of depressing. If anyone knows any change of his fighting style i would like to know. His final smash is the same, i wish they could change it to something new like a goddess beam strike.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
It seems that nothing has changed about link except the color of his clothing and i find this sort of depressing. If anyone knows any change of his fighting style i would like to know. His final smash is the same, i wish they could change it to something new like a goddess beam strike.
First Welcome to smashboards. Second. Link is totally buffed in this one. He sports a new dash attack(It's his jump attack from the 3d Zelda games) that deals quite a bit of knockback. His recovery in his Up B goes really far, almost as far as the fire fox. His clawshot is very very long. He is faster, stronger, and that is just what he needs. I think he will be at the very least, decent and low-mid tier, but I have high hopes for upper-mid or maybe high tier.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Anyone have an idea how his forward smash is? Is it the same two-hit one? And if so, is it like Toon Link's in the way that the first hit serves as a stun?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyone have an idea how his forward smash is? Is it the same two-hit one? And if so, is it like Toon Link's in the way that the first hit serves as a stun?
From observation, I think it's like Toon Link's or Young Link's Fsmash this time with the first hit stunning. It does have 2 hits.

Dott

Smash Ace
I don't know if he could do this in Brawl, but he can miss the zair recovery and still do an up b.

1:02

Could be usefull to hit an opponet away from the ledge and instantly recover when he is recovering (mindgame). Possibly Zair edgeguard off stage (?). Dude i really like like this expectation pre-Link-metagame...

Also the video has some stuff that you would like to see, highly recomended to see it complete.

2:00 reverse boomerang and he goes offstage, still able to make it back but i don't see any use right now.

I just know i will play him, it don't care if he's bottom tier or top tier.

Last edited:

Raph_the_Great

Smash Apprentice

I love Link's Red Palette Swap in this game. In 64 and Melee, Red was my palette of choice for Link, but in Brawl it seemed too light, and looked almost pink, so I had to switch to Gold and Dark Link, but I'm glad it looks like this in Smash 4, so red might become my main color again, with Dark Link as a side palette.

That is, if Sakurai doesn't make some cray amazing alternate costume for him.

Raph_the_Great

Smash Apprentice

Okay, I'm not sure how much I like Dark Link in this game, IMO Brawl's design was better.

IDK, it just doesn't look as cool. for some reason.

I like Brawl's design of Dark Zelda more as well, but anyway, Red Link and Red Zelda look Awesome in this game.

I just hope Dark Sheik is as awesome as she was in Brawl. :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wish dark Link had a red master sword. The standard one doesn't fit an evil character.
I've always used the traditional green color.

ShadowShuriken

Smash Cadet
I wish dark Link had a red master sword. The standard one doesn't fit an evil character.
I've always used the traditional green color.
I wonder if they will give him a different set of colours like the ones in Ocarina of time : The Water one, The Fire one.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I know Link has red and purple tunics, plus the standard green and shadow outfits. I'd be surprised if he didn't have blue, white, and gold outfit like in Brawl too.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

Okay, I'm not sure how much I like Dark Link in this game, IMO Brawl's design was better.

IDK, it just doesn't look as cool. for some reason.

I like Brawl's design of Dark Zelda more as well, but anyway, Red Link and Red Zelda look Awesome in this game.

I just hope Dark Sheik is as awesome as she was in Brawl. :)
Really? I prefer the new Dark Link... especially in the eyes. The new eyes give him more personality while still retaining that demonic feature.

Raph_the_Great

Smash Apprentice
Really? I prefer the new Dark Link... especially in the eyes. The new eyes give him more personality while still retaining that demonic feature.
Oh I didn't even realize the eye thing.

Either way, I think the gray parts are too lght for Dark link,, and I think his hair s too light as well, I just prefer a darker tone, to one with more personality

I'll end up using it sometimes but yeah I like how he looks more in Brawl and I was just hoping for an HD version of that design.

I'm really glad about the eye thing though! Those eyes are Definitely better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom