• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Link fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. The only lock from the Zelda series for the card right now is Link himself, but Zelda (who is really close to breaking into lock territory), Ganondorf, and Toon Link are all also on the poll and need some support. I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to tell me your thoughts. Thakns!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Though I'm not a big fan of Link and prefer to play as Ganondorf, I can't help but wonder what about his Dark Link thing for this game?

I liked it in Brawl, but I was wondering if they could make it more like the actual Dark Link in OoT/Zelda 2?

This and btw, I do like Dark Link in case you're wondering.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Though I'm not a big fan of Link and prefer to play as Ganondorf, I can't help but wonder what about his Dark Link thing for this game?

I liked it in Brawl, but I was wondering if they could make it more like the actual Dark Link in OoT/Zelda 2?

This and btw, I do like Dark Link in case you're wondering.
I think it had to do with Brawl's realistic style. I'm actually betting it'll be more black than before in Smash 4.

Rizen

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/#/video-ndirect
^Direct Link. (See what I did there?)

Speaking of Link (who got shoved into the background again :/ ), Link's gale boomerang returned; I'm probably the only Link player happy about that, lol. Link's recovery distance seems to have been greatly improved so that's nice. He seems to play very similar to Brawl so hopefully his stats will get a much needed boost.

Hype for decent smash wifi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Nintendo Direct!!!!!!!!!!!

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/#/video-ndirect
^Direct Link. (See what I did there?)

Speaking of Link (who got shoved into the background again :/ ), Link's gale boomerang returned; I'm probably the only Link player happy about that, lol. Link's recovery distance seems to have been greatly improved so that's nice. He seems to play very similar to Brawl so hopefully his stats will get a much needed boost.

Hype for decent smash wifi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Nintendo Direct!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed! I also noticed he got a jump attack. I'm wondering if it's his dash attack now.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Agreed! I also noticed he got a jump attack. I'm wondering if it's his dash attack now.
I don't know; either dash attack or Ftilt.
Link had a blind spot 45 degrees in front and above him. If this jump slash is fast enough it could cover that and be a good anti-air attack vs characters like Peach.

Edit, after looking at the video further https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs
2:07 Fsmash is back, hopefully it will hit behind Link farther so opponents can't roll through it. Link then uses his upB for much greater height :lol:
2:33 Blond 3DS Link and brown hair Wii U Link, hmmm...
At 15:41 it show Link and it looks like his slashes will be more vertical like Marth's :). His Jumps are higher too and he kept his Uair. Bair, Nair and Fair confirmed.
9:10 Link's jump looks higher. His Spin attack might cover a greater vertical distance but it's not Melee's SA :(
29:50 Link's Fair returns and it looks like the Jump slash will be a dash attack. I hope Jump slash can KO like Ganon/Ivy's DAs; that was a nice feature they had.
32:48 Gale boomerang. Hopefully it will have less start up and travel faster like in Melee.
35:13 Jumpslash seems to cover a large area.

Last edited:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
At 15:41 it show Link and it looks like his slashes will be more vertical like Marth's :). His Jumps are higher too and he kept his Uair. Bair, Nair and Fair confirmed.
Thanks for the attention to detail.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I don't know; either dash attack or Ftilt.
Link had a blind spot 45 degrees in front and above him. If this jump slash is fast enough it could cover that and be a good anti-air attack vs characters like Peach.

Edit, after looking at the video further https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs
2:07 Fsmash is back, hopefully it will hit behind Link farther so opponents can't roll through it. Link then uses his upB for much greater height :lol:
2:33 Blond 3DS Link and brown hair Wii U Link, hmmm...
9:10 Link's jump looks higher. His Spin attack might cover a greater vertical distance but it's not Melee's SA :(
29:50 Link's Fair returns and it looks like the Jump slash will be a dash attack. I hope Jump slash can KO like Ganon/Ivy's DAs; that was a nice feature they had.
32:48 Gale boomerang. Hopefully it will have less start up and travel faster like in Melee.
35:13 Jumpslash seems to cover a large area.
-Good coverage. I'm disappointed about the Gale boomerang as I hated the wind effect it had so much. It was a huge irritation because I was never able to use my boomerang to hit them because it would only blow them away. When coming back, if someone was caught in the wind and carried towards Link, they were still able to attack which I thought was completely annoying. That boomerang change already annoys me. Ughh. Here we go again. I understand if they're trying to be innovative, but this is so irritating. I wish there was at the very least a way to use the boomerang with or without the wind.
-I also hope his spin attack is much better. It looks okay from what we've seen, but no where near as close to Melee Link which was the best recovery. I only hope that it doesn't act as if he suddenly has iron boots on when the spin attack is used in the air.
-As long as they treat Link well this time and don't completely screw him over in favor of Toon Link I'll be happy. I'm also hoping he doesn't get that illogical 3,2,1 intro via the gale boomerang that he had in Brawl. The blue time warp was clearly superior and way more nostalgic in every possible way.

Please Sakurai. For the love of all that is good, don't make Link play like he did in Brawl. Make him a playable character.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
^well, Sakurai did show it before in Sonic's reveal, though very briefly, and it wasn't in the air.
Judging by the angle it's at, I'm guessing it still acts like it does in Brawl? But the new edge mechanics mean that he'll steal that spot from Yoshi?

Rizen

Smash Legend
^well, Sakurai did show it before in Sonic's reveal, though very briefly, and it wasn't in the air.
Judging by the angle it's at, I'm guessing it still acts like it does in Brawl? But the new edge mechanics mean that he'll steal that spot from Yoshi?
Hi FB. IDK, it's hard to say. The only hint we were given was this:
"There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.

Some other changes include:
-Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
-Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage."
-Sakurai

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bump with new info about tether recoveries:
Sakurai Wrote:
Tether recovery? Yes, you can! And from even longer range than before. Multiple fighters can latch on--who actually grabs hold is determined by the same rules as the standard ledge grab.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
A step in the right direction to give Link an actual decent recovery. I think his B-Up was buffed too. So far, so good for him!

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I'm liking the looks of his recovery game. All I'll really hoping for at this point is Melee up b knockback, something to make gale boomerang actually decent, arrows to have slight more horizontal knockback, bomb jumping to return, and a better spike sweetspot on his d tilt. The rest of his stuff really just needs numerical changes, because his move set is pretty solid in terms of frames and hit boxes.

Things are looking good, but he isn't out of trench tier yet.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Hi FB. IDK, it's hard to say. The only hint we were given was this:

"There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.
I love this... no more lame defeats by not being able to hang on the edge anymore... I always found this to be a weak way of defeating someone... let's hope that it will be easier to cling on to the edges.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I think link will be great to throw bombs at the villagers trying to pocket them. Unless the bombs dont explode with time once they get caught in his black hole in wich case I'll be surprised in a bad way.

D

Deleted member

I'm 100% confident that the jump attack is his new dash attack as opposed to the old running diagonal slash, judging from the footage, this couldn't be his f-tilt as the horizontal coverage is uncharacteristically long for an f-tilt, especially one for Link.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
:4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link:
So, looking at the E3 footage to now, I can compile a few things that have happened to Link within the evolution of Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. Now hear me out on this, and note that you may already know some of this information.

First off, I'd like to state something about his Spin Attack. From what we've seen, it looks like it has had an extreme buff from Brawl, as it not only increased in its own size, but also stopped functioning like it did in Brawl. As well, I've noticed that it looks like it wobbles, similarly to what it did in the initial versions of Brawl. This could indicate that, since Link's a realistic character and that his spin attack cannot be perfect like in previous games, Link's edgeguarding capabilities will be much better than before, because of the reach and power. Its semi-spike properties still remain a mystery until E3 at June 10.

Now for its recovery, it seems as if it also received a boost, too, as Link seems to have had a vertical height buff. However, not much information about that has been confirmed. Whether it will function like Melee or Brawl's will be a complete mystery until again, at E3.

Now for the Boomerang, it seems it also got a buff. From what we know, the Gale Boomerang has possibly lost its wind properties or got a better hitbox, though I'm leaning more toward the latter. Now, with the GIF we see of him hitting Marth, this can indicate that the Boomerang has knockback like it did back in the original game, if not better. This could be a useful tool for Link, now that the Gale Boomerang is no longer a weak item, and can propel opponents rather high this time. I will be talking more about techniques in a bit with it.

We have no distinct evidence on how the Bombs or the Bow will work yet, so we are onto his Clawshot. Boy, this is probably Link's ace-in-the-hole. Now, even though it applies to the ledge rules Sakurai stated, if someone were fast enough, they could be able to get Link to a safe distance where, if another character tries to edgeguard, he could still recover with his recovery move. If it functions like it did in Melee, we could expect Link to be able to jump right out of it the instant he can, though that might not happen.

Now, we've seen it in the Sonic trailer on how it may work on the ground, but here are some possibilities; it may be able to grab in mid-air once again like it did in the original and Melee (albeit in Melee, the grab range is closer to Link), though this is a Longshot. However, hopefully it functions like it does in Project M, since we know Sakurai is basing some of SSB4 off of it anyways, where it comes back fast, even faster after dashing.

Now that we have all the specials out of the way, let me talk about the significant changes in his normal attacks, and boy, there's a lot.

First, his dash attack, which is his biggest change of his ground moveset. The dash attack, as we've seen, is Link's famous Jumping Attack. What you probably didn't notice, however, was that it was a two hit attack. As we see in Wii Fit Trainer's special attack montage, you can notice that, when she shields during Link's dash attack, that Link's dash attack hits twice. This could indicate either that Link's dash is a horizontal-knockback dash attack or that the attack may hit twice and send the opponent upwards still. What this means on Link's combo ability is unknown. Back to the Gale Boomerang. Since Link has this new dash attack, this means Link has a less likely chance of getting hit if the opponent is pulled back, since Link's dash propels him forward much more than his previous.

With this, let's go to his aerials, and boy, I'm not the first to say it, but his Up aerial just looks stupid. But it can have rather beneficial perks, as this is a huge buff. Why? Well, in past Smash Bros. games, Link had a huge hitbox when he used this attack. But here in the game, we don't see that anymore. In fact, the hitbox, being much smaller, could benefit Link like it couldn't in the past games. Also, as we've seen, the attack also ends faster than before and comes out almost-instantaneously, indicating possibly better combo games.

Now is the infamous Down Aerial. Hopefully it keeps the meteor smashing component, as Link definitely needs it so. If the meteors work like they did in Brawl (where they act almost like spikes), then this could really help Link out a lot, seeing as, if he uses it at the right time, it could spell disaster for his opponent. Since the attack works similarly to Marth's, but better since it's in a controlled hitbox, it could be devastating at the least. Now, if it retains its property from Brawl, we could be seeing that it could lend Link a hand when airborne. We've seen that if he fast-falls in Brawl with the D-air, Link will be able to go through the opponent. This could lend Link a hand in this new game for many reasons. Now one thing I hope: It ends fast.

Nothing else interesting to say about his attacks, so I am going onto aesthetic changes to Link.

His backwards dodge is clearly a huge buff in his arsenal, as it's dodge speed is like Meta Knight's from Brawl: extremely fast. Link could cover a lot of distance while dodging, and fast. Link will definitely be able to dodge faster attacks now, if the player can perform it fast enough. This could lead to some really great punishing on opponents and cover camping space.

Now for his most important factor: speed. His falling speed has definitely been redone to where it looks as if he falls much more slowly than he did in any previous game. To go along with this, his air speed also has had an increase in speed, giving him some better results in the air. Again, as we saw in the Wii Fit Trainer special move montage on the Direct, we could see that Link, while using his F-air, moved much faster than he did in Brawl, a good buff, I should say. But the most important thing for Link is his running speed, which also seemed to have a possible increase. Though I am not 100% certain on this, I can say that, by reviewing the footage, Link's running speed is about 1.225x the amount it used to be; not a whole lot, but when you think about it, Falco is about that speed.

Overall, I think Link may have been buffed to a whole new extent in this game, and seems to probably be not good or decent character, but a great character overall. His buffs may land him in high tier this time now.

#LinkatE3
:4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link::4link:

Last edited:

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I think it had to do with Brawl's realistic style. I'm actually betting it'll be more black than before in Smash 4.
That was mostly due to Link's Twlight Princess design, which is being kept in Sm4sh. So Dark Link will probably be the same

JUST IN HDDDDDDDD

Hong

The Strongest
@ Radical Larry Radical Larry Good Analysis.

I have never been too excited by the meteor smash being added to the down air, since there could even be situations where I had rather just knocked them upwards. As you said, whether or not it can be a valid choice as a meteor remains to be seen. If it will still remain active as long as it always has, our best hope is perhaps we can combo into it from a soft nair into meteor at higher percentages.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
@ Radical Larry Radical Larry Good Analysis.

I have never been too excited by the meteor smash being added to the down air, since there could even be situations where I had rather just knocked them upwards. As you said, whether or not it can be a valid choice as a meteor remains to be seen. If it will still remain active as long as it always has, our best hope is perhaps we can combo into it from a soft nair into meteor at higher percentages.
My, that could actually work with Link's possible air speed and falling speed buffs. Now, I'd like to compare the hitbox of the D-Air of Link with another hitbox that is tiny:

The preceding image is of Jigglypuff's Melee Down Special Hitbox, the supposedly tiniest hitbox of all characters. Comparing this to Link's possible D-Air meteor in Smash Bros. 4, the hitbox size would have to be this small to necessarily work for the attack. Also, I've pulled this up due to the fact that both attacks are rather instantaneous on the hitbox, with both being "just at the start" of the attacks. Seeing this as a possibility, and the fact that Link's sword is the broadest it has ever been, leads me to believe that this could be a meteor that would be a devastating attack, if lead into finishing combos like you said @ Hong Hong .

However, I am not entirely sure if it may be this size or even smaller, similar to the hitboxes that skim the edge of Marth's sword, as seen here:

Note how the hitboxes lead out of the sword, causing the most damage. This could also be a possibility of Link's D-Air meteor properties, if they are as big as the outer parts of the hitboxes. Seeing as I've compared it to Marth's in the previous analysis, I think it would be more reasonable to conclude that the Meteor may work like this. However, we will have to find out later if all this can be truly tested, and if the Meteor is retained with Link.

Ssblink

Smash Rookie
If they do use his skyward sword incarnation (which wouldn't surprise me, and I'm not really for it) they should definitely make his aerial spin slash not only go higher but go into gliding with the sailcloth for a recovery. Other then that make his attacks a bit faster and maybe change his Uair to swipe similar to his Utilt so he can juggle better. Just my two cents.
I like both ideas. I think a sword swipe would be way better than the Uair he was given in brawl. Also the glide after aerial spin slash would be dope.

I really hope they implement more combo potential moves in ssb4. Brawl was a huge disgrace when it came to combos. Only a certain few (ie, peach) could pull off legit combos.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Some things I noticed in some of the videos today.

Mii Fighter demonstration (http://youtu.be/r_YXkdJZwXc)
1:30 - Hylian Shield blocks projectile

NDE Amiibo (GX) (http://youtu.be/qjxfb28qZRI)
2:28 - A Jabs + new rolls
2:30
-Gale boomerang has delayed wind effect
-increased run speed

2:35
- arrows come out at increased speed
- new arrow sound effects
- Gale boomerang doesn't have a wind effect at all ?

2:40 - was that a wavedash??? **EDIT apparently wave dashing has been disconfirmed

Amiibo E3 2014 Trailer: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUjMhc6YgU)

2:00 - Gale intro
2:15 - Dtilt seems to have a more horizontal sweep trajectory

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
He seemed a ton faster in today's footage. Though, I'm not sure if it was related to the Amiibo functionality and he had his speed leveled up or something.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Some things I noticed in some of the videos today.

Mii Fighter demonstration (http://youtu.be/r_YXkdJZwXc)
1:30 - Hylian Shield blocks projectile

NDE Amiibo (GX) (http://youtu.be/qjxfb28qZRI)
2:28 - A Jabs + new rolls
2:30
-Gale boomerang has delayed wind effect
-increased run speed

2:35
- arrows come out at increased speed
- new arrow sound effects
- Gale boomerang doesn't have a wind effect at all ?

2:40 - was that a wavedash??? **EDIT apparently wave dashing has been disconfirmed

Amiibo E3 2014 Trailer: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUjMhc6YgU)

2:00 - Gale intro
2:15 - Dtilt seems to have a more horizontal sweep trajectory
It kind of looks like Link may be able to do some sort of Dash-Cancel after using Gale Boomerang.

As for the lack of wind effect, I think it might be due to Donkey Kong hitting Link a little after throwing the Boomerang out. That, or Link can control whether or not the wind comes up. I could see Nintendo making that the compromise between the Brawl and Melee Versions.

That aside, Link is looking better than ever! I might actually Sub, or even Main him this time around if I like him enough. :O

Dott

Smash Ace
I'm so much excited, he looks better, but at the same time looks like master him against the other characters will be a whole new challenge.

GET HYPED!

Last edited:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
During the Invitational Tournaments when the celebrities played with Link you could tell that his d-airs had hardly any lag

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Any ideas on how Link's boomerang will differ between gale and non-gale versions? If gale boomerang has been buffed enough, I think I might just go with that instead of the normal non-gale boomerang.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I noticed a couple of things at the invitational:
-At one point, Link did a fair into a dair VERY quickly, suggesting that his aerials have much less startup and cooldown.
-His dair seems much weaker, but also faster, and has much less landing lag.
-His Up-B has had a major height buff, as many have seen.
-His Side Smash seems to have very low knockback and high hitstun, allowing him to lock opponents into the second hit, like TL.
-His jump height and running speed seem buffed.
-His gale boomerang seems to move faster (might just be quicker paced gameplay)
-His fair is very quick, and may chain both hits together better like Side Smash.

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
They confirm that link Dair has a spike now !

Also major buff on link dash attack knockback

(my source is the nintendo direct stream)

Last edited:

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
I'm unsure of how I feel about Link's Dair spiking. I feel like it's less reliable as kill move now, at least against aerial opponents.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't like the Dair spike but the dash attack getting good knock back is great. I play Ivysaur and Ganon in Brawl and they have dash attacks that can KO; it's a very useful KO move.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Some more notes on Link

Nintendo Treehouse Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtR6Jx_Dlu8#t=209

3:15 New stab get up attack from ledge

4:35 +5:35 Dash attack now a good KO move (14%)

Noticed Dash attack has quite a bit of vertical knock back when link lands the attack closer to his body

Sorry I'm just dumping here. I'm just super excited to see this game. Especially Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom