• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
@Mocha I know right? Condensed milk is all you need to turn a bland old coffee into a drop of heaven. I'm craving one now just from imagining the texture, dammit.

You guys know what I miss? The old boards, specially the smart 13 year old posters, like @ Onomanic Onomanic or @ Dumbfire Dumbfire back in the day. Best 13 year old posters we ever had. No body even knew Blu was 13, and nobody believed him when he said it so. Dammit Blu, you made me all nostalgic now. The current generation is a true testament of the decadence of society. either that or I'm getting really old. Could be both...meh.
Dude I feel old now. I've been on smashboards for almost 7 years. now we have new 13 year olds. KIDS YOUNGER THAN MELEE, A GAME I STILL PLAY. what a world.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What a time to be alive.

:093:
Explain yourself. I mean, I can get what you mean, but I don't get what exactly moved you so say it.

Edit: i assume it's a reaction to Blu's message. If that's so, then I can get what you mean. Nevermind...move along...

I said, move along.

Not you Cam. You're coo'

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Explain yourself. I mean, I can get what you mean, but I don't get what exactly moved you so say it.

Edit: i assume it's a reaction to Blu's message. If that's so, then I can get what you mean. Nevermind...move along...

I said, move along.

Not you Cam. You're coo'
I'm glad I could help you resolve this.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
You need to stop reading my mind Cam, and reply before I can type it out lol. It's a little uncanny bro. (Inb4Makotoisbestidol)

My Brawl-unlearning training is progressing well, and I'm really working out the kinks. I realize now that I was still trying to overcompensate for weaknesses that aren't as prevalent with ATs that no longer exist. My fundamentals are kicking back in and I should be back to top form shortly, so you can all expect a much better fight from me next time I play.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You need to stop reading my mind Cam, and reply before I can type it out lol. It's a little uncanny bro. (Inb4Makotoisbestidol)
Makoto is definitely top tier material.
Iori is best, though. Sorry.
Iori x Yayoi 2 strong.
Makoto x Yukiho is great too.
My Brawl-unlearning training is progressing well, and I'm really working out the kinks. I realize now that I was still trying to overcompensate for weaknesses that aren't as prevalent with ATs that no longer exist. My fundamentals are kicking back in and I should be back to top form shortly, so you can all expect a much better fight from me next time I play.
That transition was annoying (still sort of in it lol).

I want to punch myself in the **** every time I airdodge into the ground instead of tech. ****.
Like, getting hit and sent flying in Brawl, you were just safer airdodging instead of teching. Such a habit. Plus, sometimes I try to tech and I miss timing anyway and still airdodge into the ground and it's so frustrating. Teching in this game is frustrating imo.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless

We should play sometime.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hear this. For a time I would try Z bomb drops on platforms and invincibombs for landings. Zair quick ledge tethers for extra invulnerability cause a lot of SDs too. I keep under shooting with Link's grab too.
The increased hit stun and worse DI is hard to adjust to. Link can be more aggressive with attack chains but also can't escape as fast from juggles; it's still a good trade off since chain grabs are gone.
I'm working on getting close with bombs since the explosions won't hurt Link instead of playing at a distance. Rolling more helps, in moderation of course, but it feels weird since Link's roll was so abysmal in Brawl.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632

I luckily played Snake on Brawl so I didn't have to necessarily unlearn anything

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That transition was annoying (still sort of in it lol).
Really? The transition was very easy and natural for me.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Really? The transition was very easy and natural for me.
That transition was annoying...

... If you played Brawl competitively and actively for 7 years.

It's not that huge of a difference in games as most Smash sequels are, but the subtle (and still the not-so-subtle) changes effect you deeply.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That transition was annoying...

... If you played Brawl competitively and actively for 7 years.

It's not that huge of a difference in games as most Smash sequels are, but the subtle (and still the not-so-subtle) changes effect you deeply.

I played brawl for about 3 years

Casually.

I can see why it has an effect on your Smash 4 play now.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Lawz and I were just discussing changes that we like and dislike...

... We miss things like meteor canceling, having more SH autocancel aerial options, etc.

D

Deleted member

I played brawl for about 3 years

Casually.

I can see why it has an effect on your Smash 4 play now.
Try replaying Brawl after Smash 4. Trust me, you won't have a good time. I know I didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Lawz and I were just discussing changes that we like and dislike...

... We miss things like meteor canceling, having more SH autocancel aerial options, etc.

While I do miss Meteor Cancelling, I am not sure if I miss Spikes. While the were funny to land and all, it was extremely unfair on characters who didn't have a single spike.

I do miss L- cancelling (yeah, this wasn't in brawl but I still miss it). And "You're Too Slow" taunt.

Try replaying Brawl after Smash 4. Trust me, you won't have a good time. I know I didn't.
Yes, that's what got me. I was so use to the smoothness (particularly rolling) of Smash 4 that when i went back to brawl, it just looked and felt so clunk and rough. I didn't like it.

D

Deleted member

You won't have a good time, but mostly because Brawl is a terrible game that is completely outclassed by smash 4. Seriously, why would you go back to brawl? I could at least understand melee.
On a few recent occasions, I only replayed Brawl out of curiosity, to see if my opinion on the game has changed at all (it used to be one of my favorite games on the Wii). I'll admit it's a decent game, but I do wholeheartedly agree with the popular opinion on Melee and Smash 4 being superior.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

hey guys check this out! I didn't even know we had a PR in SC. Made 3rd. Not bad for only attending two tourneys :awesome: that's going straight link too, in both tourneys. DOIN' WORK SON!

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You won't have a good time, but mostly because Brawl is a terrible game that is completely outclassed by smash 4. Seriously, why would you go back to brawl? I could at least understand melee.
What about Project M? You need to play Brawl to play that. :p

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382

Yes Zane We will fight again but I have been training also so if you want some revenge or a little battle let me know!

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Transitioning from smash 4 to 64 is super easy, it's like hitting a switch, and it's because the games look and feel so totally different that they occupy different parts of the brain. I just do a quick mental re-cap and I'm good for the most part. Transitioning between Brawl and smash 4 however is absolutely impossible. There's no immediately obvious distinction so naturally you treat them as the same game. You need to actually get rid of a lot of Brawl memory and instinct because otherwise it will continually be like,
"Hey you've been in this exact same situation before for the past 7 years, and for the vast majority of it you did this option and it worked out just fine, I'm just going to go ahead and do you a favour and pick this option for you; it didn't work? well that's weird. You must have messed up."

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good work Huggles :)

I played some good wifi games without too much lag and got experience vs Mii Gunner, Pac Man, Villager, Ness and G&W. It was fun. I think I can do even better now that I've played the MUs.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
I'm sorry to inform you all, but I've done some in-depth soul searching and have made a life changing decision. I'm dropping Link for Shaq. I'm sorry, but he's honestly the future of our meta-game.

#Linkisforscrubsyo #CallOfDuty

Rizen

Smash Legend
My pro controller is starting to drop inputs for Monster Hunter. I'll be running and my hunter will suddenly stop short as if I'd released the control stick. I had my old controller die this way too. Anyone else have this problem?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Huggles828 Huggles828 doing work son, making us proud. Can I get a goddamn?

I didn't struggle with the transition too much to be honest. No idea why, but while I did notice the big difference I had no problem in adjusting to the new mechanics and playstyle. It may be because I always played quite an aggro game, even in brawl.

Anyways, it's April's first and I believe that as a boards we ought to do something about it.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Shiiiiit, maaaaan. This honky muf' be messin' wit mah head! 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Pray to J Shaq be gone soon, aight? Ima jus' hang loose for now, slick.

Top Bottom