• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
I'm sure most of you guys probably follow Izaw on YouTube. IDK how the Link boards feel about him, but he recently posted a FG video on his channel. Honestly, I learned more watching that than even some tournament matches. I'd link the video but I don't potentially want to catch yet another infraction for reposting.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm sure most of you guys probably follow Izaw on YouTube. IDK how the Link boards feel about him, but he recently posted a FG video on his channel. Honestly, I learned more watching that than even some tournament matches. I'd link the video but I don't potentially want to catch yet another infraction for reposting.

Anyway, it's cold and snowy out. I don't want to go for a walk today.
BTW for those of you who played the Oracle LoZ games, which do you like better?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Lol, you're not going to be infracted for posting a video link in social. I don't really feel like watching Izaw playing a pretty poor Rosalina for over an hour on For Glory, but to each his own. You are right in saying that watching a good player play someone in barren conditions is generally still better than watching two bad players spar, tournament match or not. Legan's sleazy, early-game friendlies with Hylian are vastly more useful than most Link matches we have.

Actually, speaking of Rosalina, I lost to one in tournament last time -- I had a lead game 1 (him at 130 or so, me at 40%), he grabs me, pummels me, dthrows, uairs twice and I'm dead at about 80 percent..! Game two I got wrecked because I couldn't get a kill in. It's one of my most feared match-ups, and we have two top 8 placing Rosalinas.. at least. I'm curious how Cat will deal with one if he meets one. I have a 64-man tournament this Saturday and an over 100-man tourney on Sunday (Cat will be present at the latter and we'll of course be busting out the double link again).

Also, some information, before I forget: I asked Mr.R if he still plays Link and he said he doesn't.. yet. He was focusing only on Sheik for Apex but is yearning to pick him up again, so "maybe in a month or two". We'll see!

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
actually sat down and played some sm4sh friendlies the other day. You bad mother****ers must on to something because Link's pretty fun in that game.
Am I the only one confused about what he's trying to say? I think Link is great in Smash 4

nevermind...I misread it

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I don't follow Izaw, and I'm pretty sure most (not to say every) veteran doesn't follow him. There is a reason why we dislike him generally. While you could learn from watching him play (after all he has a lot of tech skill), don't be fooled by his flashiness. His Link isn't that great at a serious competitive level (heard it from many other EU players) and he has a habit of over hyping himself and his matches. He never uploads matches of him losing, and he only uploads matches that make him look like a god. He isn't as good as he makes others believe, and as people believe.

Post the vids if you want, but please post them in the video thread. You'll only get infracted if you spam it (as in, someone else has already posted it but we still get like 4 more reposts of it as it happened last time).

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Anyway, it's cold and snowy out. I don't want to go for a walk today.
BTW for those of you who played the Oracle LoZ games, which do you like better?
I now know how the Link boards feels about Izaw.

Still though, I saw him doing some creative stuff that I would never have though to do in a 1v1.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632

Still though, I saw him doing some creative stuff that I would never have though to do in a 1v1.
Probably because it's great risk/little reward. It's like a 360 no scope to an extent. Yes you can get decent at doing it but it's still inconsistent and unsafe

Last edited:

Serac

Smash Cadet
Just went to a Gameplantet for my preordered Sheik amiibo, seems like every time you buy a Zelda related item the cash register makes the item get music, it was quite amusing.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice

Because no one wants to host a tournament for who ever gets the most style points wins

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Did you guys know that Falco has a pillar combo in Sm4sh? It's just that you need to use dair & dtilt instead of a shine, and it's much easier to do in heavy smash with smooth lander and hi-jump (i think) equipped. I found out about it while learning how to triple/quad (exedra) dip lol. You can do it in normal smash as well without jump-enhancing equipment, but yeah. The combo goes like this; Dair sweetspot on grounded opponent > Dtilt > jump to confirm another sweetspot Dair, rinse and repeat (or you can end the combo with a smash attack, tilt, or possibly another aerial such as bair). It can lead into ordinary dips as soon as soon as Dtilt can't be used anymore. The "pillar combo" is a % dependent thing, but I won't get into that here. Anyways, I just found a new secondary. I freaking love Falco in this game lol. I'll definitely ask around in the Falco boards about this.

As a more relevant thing to note, Zair > Dtilt meteor with Link might be a thing. I've been landing quite a few of them lately.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Izaw is good but he apparently has a rep for posting only videos that he wins in. Most of the older Link mains on here don't seem to like him very much. He's a fun player to watch but there are better Links out there.

This is the guy every Link player should strive to be.
http://youtu.be/zM5QgIjuwss?t=10m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGBn57C2NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2UtIvOQBY

Also what moves do you guys love using the most and why?

for me.

1. :GCD:+:GCB: Bombs - No explanation needed, the bombs have always been Link's most useful move. Its also a ton of fun to play around and get creative with the bombs.
2. :GCA: Jab - Link's Jab is amazing, not only is it a great way to rack up damage, jab 1 and 2 can link easily into other moves. Jab 1 being especially great because its so easy to get the Dsmash or Usmash afterwards. Jab 3 is also a great "GTFO" move.
3. :GCB: Arrows - Arrows are one of the funnest moves to use with Link, although not quite as great as bombs. Links Arrow's are great way to rack up damage, especially when you add in SHs, you can even gimp characters with weaker recoveries. But just using these arrows makes me feel like Legolas or a member of the Night's Watch. But that's to be expected, arrows are always cool.
4. :GCX:+:GCA: Nair - The huge hitbox disjoint, and the amount of damage it does easily makes this Link's best aerial. Arguably one of the best nairs in the game. Great for spacing and can even kill at really high percents.
5. :GCCU: USmash - My favorite kill move for Link in this game, great for jab 1 follow ups and can effectively punish a roll.

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

Izaw is flashy and has techskill, and isn't bad by any means, but I think it's better to have the fundamentals down and play smart than to go for the flashy move, which Izaw tends to do imo. The so-called "Izawmbies" then claim that he's the greatest because he pulls off these fancy moves and then try to copy those moves without learning the basics or how to truly play, while criticizing or talking down other Link mains because they play safer and smarter rather than trying to make a big splash play.

EDIT: And yes, Kirin is the man.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I can't say I haven't learned anything from watching Izaw. You learn some interesting things from someone who isn't afraid to go crazy. I agree though, as someone who is still learning fundamentals into AT is the way to go. having those under your belt will help with everyone

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
IMO Izaw is a very solid Link who occasionally takes one too many risks on being stylish. He does upload a lot of wins, but I'd say he's mellowed out significantly since Brawl. His fundamentals are fine and he plays well, but sometimes wagers too much on going in when Link is better suited to distance. He makes pretty good reads, and his informative content is well produced.

If I had any complaints with Izaw as an a Smash entity, it'd just be that a lot of people who don't play Link think he's the only one and bathe him in their saliva... And (though understandably) he could use a bit of practice taking a joke. :smirk:

If you happen to see this post @Izaw mad props for keeping Link in your repertoire, and keep up the good work. Maybe find some time to hang out with us a bit more in the future?

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The problem I have with Izaw is that he basks in the adoration of the Izawmbies. He is a good player, he has skill, and Heck, he might even be a great human being. However, it feels sometimes as if his smash ego has gone up to his head. How he over hypes himself and his opponents, how he never uploads videos of him losing, only uploads videos of his working magic, and other more questionable things does bother me because it creates the Izawmbies. The throng of loyal youtube worshipers who think he is the greatest and try to emulate his flashiness without any of his fundamentals and thus fail. We need people who play smart, for a win not for style and Izaw fosters style over fundamentals whether intentionally or not. This is my problem, not him, but what his general actions cause on scrubs. Maybe he is unaware of this or never stopped to think about it. If this is the case well now you know Izaw, please change that for the good of the meta game. We need thinkers not flashers.

However, I do agree that I wouldn't mind him coming and hanging out with us again, not in the least. He has a lot of tech skill and can be a smart player so we can learn from him for sure, but only if the ego stays at the door along with the Izawmbies.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The hero-worship of his followers leaves a sour taste that no skill or ability will wash away, try as we might. That is the only issue. I don't envy an audience that continuously calls him an "amazing player" and then bothers him endlessly for wi-fi matches, that's for sure -- 'must be really tedious and annoying to deal with!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I believe Izaw is a great player. But as everyone else says his flashiness is what ruins his potential. Though from what I've seen I think he's been toning that down a bit. Not to mention trying the things he does on Youtube vids causes losses, not wins. So in a sense when he shows off, its very uninformative to the viewer that follows him.

That's why I've stopped following the way of the Youtuber and made my own playstyle, constantly tweaking an fixing any weakness I find to improve my game. Now I'm able to do things with Link I've never been able to do before, like break shields easier and keep pressure on fleeing / launched opponents.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I believe Izaw is a great player. But as everyone else says his flashiness is what ruins his potential. Though from what I've seen I think he's been toning that down a bit. Not to mention trying the things he does on Youtube vids causes losses, not wins. So in a sense when he shows off, its very uninformative to the viewer that follows him.

That's why I've stopped following the way of the Youtuber and made my own playstyle, constantly tweaking an fixing any weakness I find to improve my game.
Now I'm able to do things with Link I've never been able to do before, like break shields easier and keep pressure on fleeing / launched opponents.
This, a million times this. Specially the bold and underlined sections.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'll post something that @Hong once said
To style on your enemy is to put on a show, shame your enemy, and do the most visually impressive action possible to accrue the optimal level of hype, even if it's not the most logical option and it is less efficient.You've got to put on a show. Your enemy should feel royally pooped on.
just thought i would post it after read @ A_Phoenix_Down A_Phoenix_Down and @ Elessar Elessar said about Izaw. Just saying

Rizen

Smash Legend
Egotistic/conceded people are a pet peeve of mine. While styling has its place, styling bad people is nothing to brag about. If you're styling it means one or more of the following:
The opponent is much worse than you.
The MU is incredible one sided.
It's Wifi.

There's an old chess saying: "invest in loss". It means if you play bad people and win you aren't improving or learning anything but playing good people, even though you lose, is ultimately much more rewarding.

_Relapse_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9930-5001
The hero-worship of his followers leaves a sour taste that no skill or ability will wash away, try as we might. That is the only issue. I don't envy an audience that continuously calls him an "amazing player" and then bothers him endlessly for wi-fi matches, that's for sure -- 'must be really tedious and annoying to deal with!
omg VD you're an amazing Link! Wanna play on wifi sometime!?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Egotistic/conceded people are a pet peeve of mine. While styling has its place, styling bad people is nothing to brag about. If you're styling it means one or more of the following:
The opponent is much worse than you.
The MU is incredible one sided.
It's Wifi.

There's an old chess saying: "invest in loss". It means if you play bad people and win you aren't improving or learning anything but playing good people, even though you lose, is ultimately much more rewarding.

Wait, does taunting count as style?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Only when done right ;)
Dam :/. I pretty much love to taunt whenever I can. Say I am playing as Lil Mac, I launch my opponent offstage, I just wait near the edge and down taunt. It works even better if Doc Louis says his line :laugh:.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'll post something that @Hong once said

just thought i would post it after read @ A_Phoenix_Down A_Phoenix_Down and @ Elessar Elessar said about Izaw. Just saying
Did you hear that whooshing sound? That was the whole point of my post flying over your head kid. There is basically nothing I can say that Rizen hasn't said. If you're styling it's because you overpower your opponent so much that you might as well be playing a 4 year old. Good smart effective play will always look good, whether you style or not. However, if you need to go for over complicated flashy stunts to boast or show off and you can connect them, then your match is not a true reflection of your skill because you're playing vs a lvl 1 cpu.

There is a reason why flashy players don't win major tournaments.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Did you hear that whooshing sound? That was the whole point of my post flying over your head kid. There is basically nothing I can say that Rizen hasn't said. If you're styling it's because you overpower your opponent so much that you might as well be playing a 4 year old. Good smart effective play will always look good, whether you style or not. However, if you need to go for over complicated flashy stunts to boast or show off and you can connect them, then your match is not a true reflection of your skill because you're playing vs a lvl 1 cpu.

There is a reason why flashy players don't win major tournaments.
But- But I like taunting :c.......

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I just hoped into the old AiB boards due to boredom, and after strolling down the nostalgia lane I decided to check out the Smash 4 Link boards...and now I'm not only bored but also depressed...damn that place is dead...

There's like 6 threads, all made by the same dude...and that's it...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Switch to Falcon then you can style AND taunt with no disrespect.
I have actually been think off dropping Toon Link, in honour of Young Link, and picking up possible C.Falcon or Lil Mac instead. I am also good with Pitty Pat :4pit:.
I just hoped into the old AiB boards due to boredom, and after strolling down the nostalgia lane I decided to check out the Smash 4 Link boards...and now I'm not only bored but also depressed...damn that place is dead...

There's like 6 threads, all made by the same dude...and that's it...
You should see the Robin threads. Nothing but activity. :4robinm:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I have actually been think off dropping Toon Link, in honour of Young Link, and picking up possible C.Falcon or Lil Mac instead. I am also good with Pitty Pat :4pit:.

You should see the Robin threads. Nothing but activity. :4robinm:
Hmm, have you tried Robin? Very similar to Link except flashier moves and more campy (imo).

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I actually really like Robin. It didn't take me very long at all to kinda figure her out because she plays similarly to Link. She is a little more defensive though. Her nair is awesome.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I have. That's why I main him, just look under main post count :p.
Ha, didn't even notice. I'd stick with Robin if I were you. C. Falcon and Mac are probably the most used fighters in For Glory. I think 75% of the people I've fought have switched to one of these guys (or both) after beating them. It's fairly easier to read these guys' playstyles than someone like Robin, especially considering the fact that everybody uses them.

It's your mains though not mine. Do what you wish, young one. I'm actually waiting for Mewtwo to come out. My curiosity is ripping. He'd make a fantastic Back-up Character if he's anything like PM Mewtwo.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Top Bottom