• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only human being on the planet that genuinely enjoyed the water temple. :ohwell:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
the water temple was leagues better on the 3ds. Switching boots was not the end of the world on the 64 but it was a longer process.

As far as MM, I think it looks promising... my only issue so far is the Moon, the big bulbous nose and rounded edges aren't quite as creepy, but they still did a respectable job.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
As much as we would like games to be harder, developers don't want to alienate new players.
It's a 2 way street though. They shouldn't put off the veteran players either. I think developers need to give gamers more credit. We can handle less hints in puzzles and harder gameplay.
(And there's internet guides for those who can't :p)

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
the water temple was leagues better on the 3ds. Switching boots was not the end of the world on the 64 but it was a longer process.

As far as MM, I think it looks promising... my only issue so far is the Moon, the big bulbous nose and rounded edges aren't quite as creepy, but they still did a respectable job.
Oh jeez, I forgot about that. Being able to set my boots to a button was the single greatest thing ever.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046

100% agree about the moon - thought i was the only one!
i actually posted almost the exact same "complaint" about the moon a few days back.

i really dislike the new moon - it just seems so try-hard.
the old moon captured the emotion of the game; it was angry, it was sinister.

it was overwhelming.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The 3DS moon looks scary in its own right, but I think they tried too hard to make it "in your face."

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
The 3DS moon looks scary in its own right, but I think they tried too hard to make it "in your face."
exactly what i feel like.
the original moon was just so ominous.
it didn't need to be in your face, it didn't need to force you to see it.
you knew it was there, you were always aware of it's presence and you felt it trailing you, moving closer all the time.

i can understand why they changed the moon; updated it to fit with the fresher graphics, but i feel like as a original MM n64 player i'm gonna be a little irritated every time i see it now :p

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
While you right, I really don't mind it that much. Though imagine it in 3D *starts imagining*

All this talk of Majora's Mask makes me think of this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4veUhkwfuXE

It's so beautiful.
think you're copying me man :'(
my favourite nintendo song.
you can feel the emotion of the game eminating from the melody, taking you back to the child version of yourself playing.
it gives me chills.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
think you're copying me man :'(
my favourite nintendo song.
you can feel the emotion of the game eminating from the melody, taking you back to the child version of yourself playing.
it gives me chills.
how am I coping you.

Though you are right, very time I'm sad and hear that song, it really seems to just heal my sorrow.

"Follow Along after me."

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
But Toon Link IS WW Link, so I am still correct. Though your right, I wasn't there, I don't know what it was like.
No. You stop right there.

Toon Link is just Toon Link. Smash is different. This was decided in ages past by the grand council of exalted sages. Toon Link is not Link, nor is he WW Link, he is Toon Link.

It's subtle but important details like this that have helped the Link mains continue to Do Work (and cling to sanity). I have not yet been moved to forgive the treachery of 2008, and I doubt my brothers feel differently.

One day, perhaps, our two clans can rejoin as one and become the mightier for it. But until then we must be separate. It is for the best. Maybe, one day, 'triforce tier' will no longer be a joking jab that Toon Link players feel no sting from, but a title proudly worn by all those who take up the sword (or fist, or magic) and other implements of destruction.

Edit: BUT NOT TODAY. D<

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
@ Lúcio Lúcio : I wouldn't expect a true tier list for a long time. The Wii U version isn't out yet and in all seriousness the 3DS version just isn't as competitively viable to determine a well put together tier list.

Not to mention the online support with buffs and nerfs to characters will make it a little harder to really get a good list. Though no matter what, there will be an official one in time.

Give it 6-8 months till a true official list is made. But just expect the list to change around a lot whenever it does get released. Until then it's quite easy to tell what the placements will look like for each character.

As I had said though, Link will no longer be an F-Tier joke like Ganon. He's gonna sit somewhere nice and happily in the 20-25 zone.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
No. You stop right there.

Toon Link is just Toon Link. Smash is different. This was decided in ages past by the grand council of exalted sages. Toon Link is not Link, nor is he WW Link, he is Toon Link.

It's subtle but important details like this that have helped the Link mains continue to Do Work (and cling to sanity). I have not yet been moved to forgive the treachery of 2008, and I doubt my brothers feel differently.

One day, perhaps, our two clans can rejoin as one and become the mightier for it. But until then we must be separate. It is for the best. Maybe, one day, 'triforce tier' will no longer be a joking jab that Toon Link players feel no sting from, but a title proudly worn by all those who take up the sword (or fist, or magic) and other implements of destruction.

Edit: BUT NOT TODAY. D<
Oh, I didn't no that this is what happened in the smash community. I just thought that there were some Link mains who changed to Tink because link was bad. I was also think canon, which has gotten me into trouble before. Honest, I don't want any biff with you or anyone as a matter of fact. I allso didn't know that the Link's and Tink's where so divided, which makes me fell sad. I also hope that both characters can be brought together and untie the TRIFORCE of LINK!

Wait, what was the 'triforce tier' joke with Toon Link? Also, did the same thing happen with Young Link in Melee? or Toon Link in Project M? Gods, I hope not.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
Though you are right, very time I'm sad and hear that song, it really seems to just heal my sorrow.
the range of emotion is astounding.
the song sounds sad but it's ultimately a song that heals.

i think the conflict stems from how it heals?
it doesn't bring darmani or mikau back to life, it merely rests their souls and heals their turmoil.

this isn't physical, it's mental, it's emotional, it's sad.

@ Lúcio Lúcio : I wouldn't expect a true tier list for a long time. The Wii U version isn't out yet and in all seriousness the 3DS version just isn't as competitively viable to determine a well put together tier list.

Not to mention the online support with buffs and nerfs to characters will make it a little harder to really get a good list. Though no matter what, there will be an official one in time.

Give it 6-8 months till a true official list is made. But just expect the list to change around a lot whenever it does get released. Until then it's quite easy to tell what the placements will look like for each character.
that's a good point - i think it's too late to release a tier list now; it's likely that we'll have to wait at least a few weeks after the wii-u release, if not longer.
it's almost as if the 3ds version was a beta test for the full wii-u game - testing the characters too see which ones are "broken" and fixing them before the real game.
it's a shame because i only have a 3ds and i don't have the money to buy a wii u until after xmas at least :/

if link is top half i'll be happy.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^The Triforce tier refers to a brief time when the lowest tier in Brawl had Link, Zelda, Ganon (and Jigglypuff). IIRC that was before Ganon had his own G or Ganon tier and now those characters are clumped with the other low tiers.

I really can't stand the way TL looks, like a bobble head with poorly drawn features despite the head size. I really disliked the moblins and the entire WW style so I never got it.

Anyway, Link players who have repped him like ALSM and Bomber also used TL and Foxy has done a lot for the Link boards with ATs. Link's higher than TL on the rough tier list for SSB4 now; no one's using TL as the higher ranking Link anymore. I think we need to move forward and not linger on the TL issue.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
^The Triforce tier refers to a brief time when the lowest tier in Brawl had Link, Zelda, Ganon (and Jigglypuff). IIRC that was before Ganon had his own G or Ganon tier and now those characters are clumped with the other low tiers.

I really can't stand the way TL looks, like a bobble head with poorly drawn features despite the head size. I really disliked the moblins and the entire WW style so I never got it.

Anyway, Link players who have repped him like ALSM and Bomber also used TL and Foxy has done a lot for the Link boards with ATs. Link's higher than TL on the rough tier list for SSB4 now; no one's using TL as the higher ranking Link anymore. I think we need to move forward and not linger on the TL issue.
Yeah, I agree. The Link's and Toon Link's need to stop both fighting each other (meaning outside of smash) and agree that both their characters are blood awesome. I thought Toon Link was pretty cute :c. Though not as cute as Young Link :laugh:. I mean, just look at his face. It's adorable X3.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
I believe it's way too early to be thinking of a tier listing when the definite version hasn't been released. The 3DS version is a respectable game in its own right but not something to place a concrete ranking for characters. It can be used as a way to figure out how well the character stacks up early on that'll most likely change due to better controls but making something so definitetive even after the game has been out a month? No, I don't believe so.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I didn't no that this is what happened in the smash community. I just thought that there were some Link mains who changed to Tink because link was bad. I was also think canon, which has gotten me into trouble before. Honest, I don't want any biff with you or anyone as a matter of fact. I allso didn't know that the Link's and Tink's where so divided, which makes me fell sad. I also hope that both characters can be brought together and untie the TRIFORCE of LINK!

Wait, what was the 'triforce tier' joke with Toon Link? Also, did the same thing happen with Young Link in Melee? or Toon Link in Project M? Gods, I hope not.
It's an old wound. The first time there was ever a Link community divide was Brawl, and it wasn't even a serious one. But we can't just go claiming Toon Link is Link, either.

I also think you take me too seriously. I'm not about to bite your head off. (Mouth too small, will rectify with surgery when the tech is available.)

Triforce tier, as mentioned above, became a thing when Link, Ganon, and Zelda were recognized as the worst characters in the game and given a tier of their own on one of the tier lists around the time I dropped out of competitive Brawl. Toon Link was the only Zelda character to escape this fate, and in fact was pretty good. The result was at the time that the Ganon and Link communities (Link had moved to AiB at that time as well, for reasons) were basically bros4lyfe and that the players who stuck with Link despite his shortcomings in the competitive scene had developed a particular distaste for how much easier it was to succeed with Toon Link.

Not the players who played him, just the character himself. Though some Toon Links couldn't figure us out because our lingo had degenerated into the ramblings of half mad, half genius men on the cusp of comprehending the unknowable. A lot of Toon Links didn't like us, and we were okay with that. A lot of people didn't like us in general because we were ****birds. The Link boards of old could be summarized as "trolls trolling trolls", and that was accurate.

I hope it remains true. As one of the old guard I'd like to see tradition honoured. In my eyes you are welcome here. but damnit if you call Toon Link "Link" one more time I swear on Jennifer Connelly's eyebrows that I'll crap in a sock and hit you with it.

So, in closing, there is no beef here, I'm just a crotchety old man proselytizing the Old Ways toward the youngin's.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Why are you people so obssessed over tier lists? Forget about them and learn the freaking game! The way I see it, a person can only be so damn obssessed over tier lists for two reasons:

1) So that they can John when they lose. Stop it. NO JOHNS! (Nouyons)

2) So that they can look for an "alt" that is higher plased on the list (which will eventually become a main).

Both reasons are invalid and sad. Forget about tier lists and focus on learning to play, learning to read and developing the meta.

Also, on the Gay issue. Most people who have left Link and went for Gay did it out of cowardice. They wanted to be "Link mains" because the "loved Link", but as soon as the tier list came out and we saw our placement they deflected for a higher tier. They were cowards who could not face what being a triforce tier char meant and left under the banned of "it's still Link". No, it's not. It's not because they are maining him out of cowardice, and Link is courage, that freaking opposite thing.

Link is manly, Gay is Tink (Need more proof? It has the same nickname as freaking Tinkerbell from Peter Pan).

Now, I think that this game is well designed and balanced. There are very subtle superiorities and inferiorities, but the game will be patches for balance and we still have Namco working on the balance and they have a crap load of experience in creating well balanced competitive fighting games. This means that tier lists won't be as determining as they were on Brawl, which is good and it is what I wish and want and desire. But I would be lying if I didn't say that a small part of me wishes to see Gay be basement tier, just to see if Gay mains stick with him and finally earn that triforce of courage, or if the defect for a higher tier.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I keep wondering if I should add "'Gay'- Toon Link" to the Link specific jargon in the smash dictionary XD. I'm not sure I want to go there. The Toons will hate me.
But it would be so funny.
I can always be like, hey don't hate on me, I'm just recording what I see. I didn't make it up.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ See the poll:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-botanical-gardens-of-the-mushroom-kingdom.215820/

Tier lists are silly things but I do think the latest Brawl tier list turned out accurate. SSB4 should be much better balanced. For now the rough lists are a way for those of us without 3DS to see vaguely how characters stack: Rosalina seems to be one of the best.

Want to see Super Mario 64 beaten in under 23 minutes one handed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A0f1UqL3M64#t=335

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I keep wondering if I should add "'Gay'- Toon Link" to the Link specific jargon in the smash dictionary XD. I'm not sure I want to go there. The Toons will hate me.
But it would be so funny.
I can always be like, hey don't hate on me, I'm just recording what I see. I didn't make it up.
I'd say add it, and then claim you're just being a reporter, just collecting info as it is and that not including it would damage your dictionary since it's incomplete. So do it...do it and let's watch the wolrd burn around us!

^Peachs beat us to the term.
Seriously though, I see this as a dead issue :ohwell:
Not sure they have. I think they mean gay as in literally gay, not as an euphemism for another char.

Also, which issue? The whole gay issue or the tier list issue?

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'll add it if it can be proven to me that more than one person is currently using it in that way. Those are the rules. I did a quick search of the Link boards, and you are apparently the only person who has ever used that word, other than me in my previous post (but you, that doesn't count as I was responding to its use). Sorry bud. You'll have to get some of the old Link's in here that still honour that tradition.

If that happens, then I will have no choice but to add it.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'll add it if it can be proven to me that more than one person is currently using it in that way. Those are the rules. I did a quick search of the Link boards, and you are apparently the only person who has ever used that word, other than me in my previous post (but you, that doesn't count as I was responding to its use). Sorry bud. You'll have to get some of the old Link's in here that still honour that tradition.
That'll be tough I think, but I can try. Sook will be coming back once that the Wii U version launches, and I have no idea what Mage is up to. Waffz moved on a bit apparently, and Deta, Cyner, Afro, Link Specilist and Blubba are still active in the Skype group, but not sure if they'd come here and post regularly again like Shin, FSK and I have. I mean, Blubba has a thread here, but he's still not that active.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Now there's some names I haven't seen in a while. It'd be great to have them back regardless. Teach these youngsters a lesson or two about being a Link main. Link mainers used to be so intimidating for outsiders XD. I was one of the outsiders, and I had mad respect for them. If you didn't come in with respect, you got wrecked so hard. It was really entertaining so long as you weren't in the cross-fire. A whole board of trolls, each trying to out-do the other. It was a thing to behold, and one we'll likely never see again.
Also what ever happened to that 'cat-puke' guy? He used to be fairly active on AiB yet you didn't mention him.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Cat is also active in the Skype group. Moo and ALSM are somewhat active in the fb group, or were when the group itself was more active. Ano is still a mod here, but I haven't heard from him since he went to Fiji. I received like...4 mails and that was it. Never heard of him again.

Bwill is also quite active in both the skype group and the fb group. And I can't remember anyone else atm. Deva is MiA, though his contact is in the skype gorup. Haven't heard anything of Kirin in a long time either.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah I remember those guys now. I wish I was around the Link boards more when they were all still here. I was part of the revival of the Link boards after they had all left, so I never really got a chance to become one of them. I wasn't part of the Link community when it happened.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hope those days return in all their glory. Except for the Exodus...that part sucked. I mean, it was a gloriously and epic battle. But it still sucked.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046

i suppose that's fair enough - personally i loved the WW style.
it was a risky but refreshing change to the franchise; a much brighter, fun style that added whispers of comedy at times.
obviously some people may disagree and think it takes away from the perception of zelda as a franchise, but at least link and toon link are distinctly different now :)

WW was my favourite game for a while when i got my GC, but then when i got hold of a zelda collectors edition disk and replayed majora's mask, i of course reverted back to my current opinion :p

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Moo and ALSM are somewhat active in the fb group, or were when the group itself was more active. Ano is still a mod here, but I haven't heard from him since he went to Fiji. I received like...4 mails and that was it. Never heard from him again.
Well ALSM is maining :4palutena: in Sm4sh, and Ano did return from his Missionary service, and not too long ago he was a regular here again, wonder what happened.

FSK

Smash Ace
So from the rumors and some personal investigative work I'm 100% certain that zac will be fixed. It's definitly a bug that the tether comes out. So if we get zac back then I'm sorta fine with losing down-b cancelling. hopefully we also get our airdodge zair back.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Now there's some names I haven't seen in a while. It'd be great to have them back regardless. Teach these youngsters a lesson or two about being a Link main. Link mainers used to be so intimidating for outsiders XD. I was one of the outsiders, and I had mad respect for them. If you didn't come in with respect, you got wrecked so hard. It was really entertaining so long as you weren't in the cross-fire. A whole board of trolls, each trying to out-do the other. It was a thing to behold, and one we'll likely never see again.
Also what ever happened to that 'cat-puke' guy? He used to be fairly active on AiB yet you didn't mention him.
This man knows what I'm talking about, the values I'm trying to espouse in the new generation.

So be it. Let the gay mains come, and all with them, and let them have no ****ing clue what we're talking about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom