• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I tried new button arrangements with the Pro controller but found I did best catering to my previous muscle memory from GC controllers:
L Shield, LZ shield, R Grab, RZ attack, X and A jump, Y special, B attack and right C stick set to smash. I might set C to attack since I have trouble with tilts on the sensitive pro controller and Usmash instead of UTilt sometimes.

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Man I just don't know if I could ever learn to use attack as anything other than A and B

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Man I just don't know if I could ever learn to use attack as anything other than A and B
If that's what you're used to then don't bother changing it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Like others have said, you're next step would be to turn tap jump off. Switch your x and y buttons back to jumps and find out which one comes more naturally to you. After that you can decide if you want the other one to be grabs or shield.

Seems how you're using the pro controller you've got one extra button on the top which is good. Pick two of the buttons you don't use and set them to jump and attack. You don't have to use them for those actions primarily, but it'll make it easier to perform certain AT's that you'll learn down the road.

Lastly, you need to decide if you want your right stick set to smashes or attacks. Smashes will allow you to do bomb smashes, it might helps with things like kara smashes and, of course, perform smash attacks easier. Setting it attacks will allow you to do bombslides, soft bomb throws, certain aerial techniques easier, and of course, perform easier tilt attacks.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Command Melody or Dominion Rod?
That is a really hard question.

Dominion Rod: Squash big spiders with bigger robots.
Command Melody: Play as Medli.

Truly a tough call if there ever was one.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Command Melody or Dominion Rod?
That is a really hard question.

Dominion Rod: Squash big spiders with bigger robots.
Command Melody: Play as Medli.

Truly a tough call if there ever was one.
Dominion rod, hands down. There's nothing like having a gigantic robot follow you around like a little puppy and then obliterate anything that stands in your way.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Command Melody, dominion rod has literally no use besides the temple of time, and a fetch quest. Command melody is used in different ways in 3 dungeons. Plus you got to play as Medli. Medli makes Ganondorf very happy

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Giant spider crushing statues.
Medli tho.

You decide.
TP would have had the coolest items ever.... If they were more useful in more places....
The Spinner, Ball and Chain, and Dominion rod were so cool! Until you got out of the dungeon..... The fact that you barely touched these items for the rest of the game really damages the item. If they had more useful statues, and in more supply, it would be dominion rod without a doubt, but that's sadly isn't the case

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
TP would have had the coolest items ever.... If they were more useful in more places....
The Spinner, Ball and Chain, and Dominion rod were so cool! Until you got out of the dungeon..... The fact that you barely touched these items for the rest of the game really damages the item. If they had more useful statues, and in more supply, it would be dominion rod without a doubt, but that's sadly isn't the case
I agree about the Spinner and the Dominion Rod, but the Ball and Chain doesn't have to be underused.

The Ball and Chain:

- Kills everything
- Replaces Bombs functionally but doesn't damage Link and has infinite uses
- Looks cool as ****

I really wish the Spinner functioned as a transportation device though.

Last edited:
The Command Melody is superior, and comes from a superior game. TP was honestly pretty subpar by Zelda standards and I hate the Dominion Rod most of all for disappearing from usefulness outside the temple where I got it.

The Command Melody was cool because mind controlling people.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Dominion Rod seems like you could use it faster, but Command Melody lets you control living beings. So the important question here is: is the Command Melody done fast enough to defeat someone wielding a Dominion Rod, or do we just assume that time stops whenever Link uses the Wind Waker?

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
My advise is to turn tap jump off and get used to jumping with a button. There is no reason to tap jump, no benefit at all.
OoS maneuvers are a slight benefit, but it can be performed with jump button nonetheless. I just reverse Guard and Grab, and turn off tap jump & rumble

I got really happy today when I learned planted bombs can stuff Wario's bike approach on ground. Then got kinda sad that He can wheelie over it, but felt happy again to know if his bike is close to breaking, the bomb will stop him cold destroying the bike.

Ups & Downs all around.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I remember using TP items outside their given dungeons. Not all the time, obviously, but a few. What was even better was that the places one would use them in the open world were displayed before one ever knew these items existed. I remember standing in confusion at a certain puzzle, trying to figure it out, finally resolving to move on, making sure to remember that place in the future. After coming back dungeons later and dungeons wiser, it was simple and satisfying to finally figure out the puzzles and get at whatever treasure lay in wait. TP had some of my favorite moments in gaming.

I just can't wait till we get back to LoZ style items, where just because you found an item in a dungeon, it doesn't mean it was meant for that dungeon or helped fight the enemies in that dungeon. Maybe an item you got would be mandatory in completing a dungeon in the future, maybe it wouldn't. Maybe you didn't even finish the dungeon it was to be used in and made it to Ganon anyway. Your experience of the game depended on how deeply you delved into it and how curious you could be.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I remember using TP items outside their given dungeons. Not all the time, obviously, but a few. What was even better was that the places one would use them in the open world were displayed before one ever knew these items existed. I remember standing in confusion at a certain puzzle, trying to figure it out, finally resolving to move on, making sure to remember that place in the future. After coming back dungeons later and dungeons wiser, it was simple and satisfying to finally figure out the puzzles and get at whatever treasure lay in wait. TP had some of my favorite moments in gaming.

I just can't wait till we get back to LoZ style items, where just because you found an item in a dungeon, it doesn't mean it was meant for that dungeon or helped fight the enemies in that dungeon. Maybe an item you got would be mandatory in completing a dungeon in the future, maybe it wouldn't. Maybe you didn't even finish the dungeon it was to be used in and made it to Ganon anyway. Your experience of the game depended on how deeply you delved into it and how curious you could be.
I spent longer than I'm willing to admit trying to figure out what to do with all the statues scattered around Hyrule. I had a feeling that it would become evident later in the game but I fruitlessly kept trying to move them or destroy them before I got the dominion rod.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
TP is sub par? The what?
Horseback combat? Midna? Actual sword techniques? Midna? Bomb arrows? Midna?
Not to mention the game has awesome music. Oh, and Midna.
Actually, the only redeeming quality we find in TP is some songs and sword technicques. Horseback combat maybe too but it was a bit repetitive (in that it's always the same thing) and underused. However, when we talk about underused we talk more about plot, mechanics, difficulty and design (not aesthetics but the layout of things and the design of the puzzles).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Frankly if you think the ball and chain isn't useful outside the Snowpeak Ruins dungeon, you're not fighting Stalfos, Tektite groups, Freezards and Gibdos right :seuss:. But I agree the dominion rod was missed opportunity :(. It should have controlled small rocks and grunt enemies.

Like I said before, TP and SS both have what the other lacks and lack what the other has. But if you're going all or nothing TP beats the hell out of SS and WW :grin:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I feel like it's only appropriate for me to leave my mark on page 93.

:093:

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Man I'm just wishing I didn't trade all my Zelda games in like an idiot

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Be more active. Though gratz for page 93. You up for some games again sometime? I have a friend who might want to play you if you'd like.
Sorry brah, times have gotten busy... Thank you, thank you. I'm honored.

Definitely, but I probably won't have time again until after Apex... Who's the friend?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sorry brah, times have gotten busy... Thank you, thank you. I'm honored.

Definitely, but I probably won't have time again until after Apex... Who's the friend?

He's @ Oblivion129 Oblivion129 , irl friend.

And no prob, Apex is this week end anyways. I wish you all the best btw, may you come 2nd since @ Lawz. Lawz. or Kirin is obviously going to win.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Top Bottom