• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I always assumed most people based their first and secondary picks off of characters they just like.

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Only because otherwise I'm only playing with one character. I wanted to start playing competitive and I guess I just assumed you use more than one.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hey so this is really late and all, but I finally got my hands on the NZ trip photos that my friend took. There was a lot of them, but I managed to narrow things down significantly. I'll group them in sets of like five.

Damn those pics are gorgeus. I'm so jelly right now.

I always assumed most people based their first and secondary picks off of characters they just like.
That's just me I think. I play the chars I like or find interesting, to hell with MUs.

Only because otherwise I'm only playing with one character. I wanted to start playing competitive and I guess I just assumed you use more than one.
Not necessarily. Most people do so to cover bad MUs their main could have, as DF said. However you can play with only one char and be fine if you choose it. it's all a matter of personal choice.

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
What would be a good secondary for Link then?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
What would be a good secondary for Link then?
Well, that depends. Are you looking for a secondary that has a somewhat similar playstyle to Link's or something the opposite?

If you want someone similar, some good choices might be Marth, Falco, R.O.B, Samus, or Mega Man.
If you're looking for more of the opposite than you could go with Fox, Sheik, ZZS, or Greninja

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
A character you like to play and who covers some of Link's bad match-ups would be ideal.

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
I guess I don't really know what I want I just want tot get better.

@ Starbit Starbit
I recommend that you and I fight so I can get a feel for your play style first. That's important.
Yeah that would be awesome.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I guess I don't really know what I want I just want tot get better.

Yeah that would be awesome.
I can play now, I believe. Send me a fr at "Lozjam
Edit: Nevermind. I am going to play someone else, but I will be able to play you in about a half hour
Edit 2: Alright, I can now play.

Last edited:

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
I can play now, I believe. Send me a fr at "Lozjam
Edit: Nevermind. I am going to play someone else, but I will be able to play you in about a half hour
Edit 2: Alright, I can now play.
I added you. I'm CaptainCurtains

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Sorry I had to get off. Ggs though even though I suck so bad xD
Alright little guy GG's, I think I know exactly how you work.
As you probably figured out, most of the time, I went easy on you, and when I did try, I completely bodied you. First off, you did get better as we went on and you were better than I expected. Right now, I reccomend you don't get a secondary yet, focus on getting your Link good.
So let's get started.
You used almost the exact same strategy most of the time, albeit it got better as we went on. At first, you used dash attack, and fsmash way too much, and I was able to punish it most of the time. This did get better however.
Whenever I used my Link, I was showing you what to do, albeit in an exaggerated fashion. Your projectiles, mix them up with hops and short hops.Use your Zair, I spammed it hoping you would catch on, and then used it properly to show you the benefits.
Grab. Not once did I see you grab, which makes you crumble to defensive play. When I perfect Shielded all of your attacks, you had nothing you could do. So grab! Links grab is useful in theis game.
Quit using Dair, it altogether is a horrible move in most situations, it is easily punished. Use your Nair, Fair, and Bair more, it will serve you well. I could easily gimp you with those, and they are excellent options when used correctly.
I would say use your Jab and ftilt more, but you did that on your own, good job. Use your Utilt more though, it is a good anti-air move.
Use your bombs more, they are easily Link's best projectile, but do not spam it.
Overall, you relied too much on your projectiles, with Sm4sh Link you need to advance with your projectiles instead of running away. Go in with Zair and Nair to jab, and you can grab as well. Play a couple of matches without using a single projectile, you would be surprised at how well Link fairs(Pun intended),
Mix up your strategy, and play on real stages instead of FD all of the time. So GG, and practice. Next time we meet, I hope I can go all out on you!

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Alright little guy GG's, I think I know exactly how you work.
As you probably figured out, most of the time, I went easy on you, and when I did try, I completely bodied you. First off, you did get better as we went on and you were better than I expected. Right now, I reccomend you don't get a secondary yet, focus on getting your Link good.
So let's get started.
You used almost the exact same strategy most of the time, albeit it got better as we went on. At first, you used dash attack, and fsmash way too much, and I was able to punish it most of the time. This did get better however.
Whenever I used my Link, I was showing you what to do, albeit in an exaggerated fashion. Your projectiles, mix them up with hops and short hops.Use your Zair, I spammed it hoping you would catch on, and then used it properly to show you the benefits.
Grab. Not once did I see you grab, which makes you crumble to defensive play. When I perfect Shielded all of your attacks, you had nothing you could do. So grab! Links grab is useful in theis game.
Quit using Dair, it altogether is a horrible move in most situations, it is easily punished. Use your Nair, Fair, and Bair more, it will serve you well. I could easily gimp you with those, and they are excellent options when used correctly.
I would say use your Jab and ftilt more, but you did that on your own, good job. Use your Utilt more though, it is a good anti-air move.
Use your bombs more, they are easily Link's best projectile, but do not spam it.
Overall, you relied too much on your projectiles, with Sm4sh Link you need to advance with your projectiles instead of running away. Go in with Zair and Nair to jab, and you can grab as well. Play a couple of matches without using a single projectile, you would be surprised at how well Link fairs(Pun intended),
Mix up your strategy, and play on real stages instead of FD all of the time. So GG, and practice. Next time we meet, I hope I can go all out on you!
Thanks so much for the help. What would be the best way to practice?

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
As always, playing more people, online and offline. For Glory is very flawed, so avoid it as much as you can. Try an online smash ladder for another viable alternative. And you can add people from here, and look for people to play in the Link Xat: http://xat.com/Smash4LinkCommunity

Hell, add me; it's AncientSunlight

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Playing other people is the #1 best way. Constantly keep in mind how to improve while you get beaten. That is how you truly improve. Don't play in FG as much too

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Ok cool. Also I use pro controller is there any better controls because I mapped shield to X and grab to Y and I don't know if that might be messing me up

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Jumping only with tap jump might be a bit of a problem. My left shield button is set to jump, which has always worked out great for advanced techniques and the likes; but Y or X works too. I would at least recommend some alternative jump button. Otherwise button mapping doesn't matter as much as long as you are comfortable with the lay-out.

Last edited:

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Jumping only with tap jump might be a bit of a problem. My left shield button is set to jump, which has always worked out great for advanced techniques and the likes; but Y or X works too. I would at least recommend some alternative jump button. Otherwise button mapping doesn't matter as much as long as you are comfortable with the lay-out.
Oh really? I've just always tap jumped xD

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Oh really? I've just always tap jumped xD
Definitely use the buttons, and turn Tapjump off. This leads to something called short hops, and allows you to do aerials that are close to the ground. It also leads to many others AT's.

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Definitely use the buttons, and turn Tapjump off. This leads to something called short hops, and allows you to do aerials that are close to the ground. It also leads to many others AT's.
Should I keep it the default way then? Or another button jump

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Doesn't matter, but since many use the defaul buttons Y or X that might make it easier for reference. Tap jump is useful for certain things but I would follow Lozjam's advice and turn it off for at least a while. I remember having the break the tap jump habit once, and I went cold turkey. It took a week or so but it helped me immensely once I had picked it up. Link barely has any need for tap jump, and it can put you in many disadvantageous positions.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Should I keep it the default way then? Or another button jump
My advise is to turn tap jump off and get used to jumping with a button. There is no reason to tap jump, no benefit at all.

Also, what I did was go into control setup, test, and then tried to jump and noted which button came out naturally, that's how I ended up with my current config. You should repeat some buttons on the shoulders, like grab, shield or attack since that will help you input harder button combinations with greater ease.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Tap jump is weird with SSB, but it's a normal thing with other fighters like Street Fighter and The King of Fighters.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Tap jump is weird with SSB, but it's a normal thing with other fighters like Street Fighter and The King of Fighters.
I think that it's because of the tilted hits (bet it tilts or smashes) and SH. In SF there are no tilted hits and no SH, so pressing up serves only one function, jump. The only exception would be with some specials like Zangief, but it's that, an exception. In smash you can't do SH with tap jump, which is a must at competitive, and missing the timing with tap can make you waste your DJ when trying to do an uair for instance. That's why for me there is no purpose for tap jump at all.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Why not have both? I switched my Grab and Jump button for example, which still leaves a shoulder button for attack. Besides, you don't need both x and y to be jumps if you really must have one of them as a jump.

Last edited:
Why not have both? I switched my Grab and Jump button for example, which still leaves a shoulder button for attack. Besides, you don't need both x and y to be jumps if you really must have one of them as a jump.
X is for specials, along with B, because I can slide my thumb from Y to X for jump cancels. R is attack for bomb smashing.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
X is for specials, along with B, because I can slide my thumb from Y to X for jump cancels. R is attack for bomb smashing.
I'm very much against the idea of ever having to slide my thumb around for button inputs. It seems very inprecise. Instead of having to slide my thumb to do a jump and an instant special (or a jump and an instant attack/c-stick), I use my index finger for the jump and my thumb for the special (or attack/c-stick as the case may be). Easy. I mean, whatever works for you of course. If you're already used to something it's probably best to keep doing just that. But if you're going to learn a control scheme from scratch anyway, why not pick a control scheme that will benefit you further down the track?

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I like it.
I use my index finger for the jump and my thumb for the special (or attack/c-stick as the case may be). Easy.
This is what I do; hit Y with the first joint of my index finger so you can move your thumb freely around. I also have X set to grab/zair and tap jump off. You can still usmash/upb OoS by hitting jump then the input. Also makes bombsmashing work by just sliding your finger down to A, but I think I might try setting attack to R like Shin, it would make jumping while holding attack easier.

Last edited:
I'm very much against the idea of ever having to slide my thumb around for button inputs. It seems very inprecise. Instead of having to slide my thumb to do a jump and an instant special (or a jump and an instant attack/c-stick), I use my index finger for the jump and my thumb for the special (or attack/c-stick as the case may be). Easy. I mean, whatever works for you of course. If you're already used to something it's probably best to keep doing just that. But if you're going to learn a control scheme from scratch anyway, why not pick a control scheme that will benefit you further down the track?
I've experienced the opposite, actually, I've got large enough thumbs to hold one button while sliding to another, enabling me to very precisely dictate how long and at what point each input occurs. I have a much harder time changing my grip to use my index finger than simply using my thumb for many things at once, and with the placement of the C stick on the GC controller things feel very fluid for me.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've experienced the opposite, actually, I've got large enough thumbs to hold one button while sliding to another, enabling me to very precisely dictate how long and at what point each input occurs. I have a much harder time changing my grip to use my index finger than simply using my thumb for many things at once, and with the placement of the C stick on the GC controller things feel very fluid for me.
I've actually met a guy with the most distinct set-up I've ever seen, he was from Korea. L=attack, R=Specials, C-stick=Jump, X=grab, Y=Shield, Z=jump, and he was not that bad, he was actually really good.

Starbit

Smash Cadet
NNID
CaptainCurtains
3DS FC
3093-7138-6717
Someone shoud just write me up a coupe of possible layouts cause I have clue what to use xD

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I use the Wii U pro and my layout is:

A: grab
B: jump
Y: attack
X: special
L: jump
LZ: shield
R: grab
RZ: attack
Cstick: smash

The should buttons help me with the more complicated ATs and inputs, like Ledge hops, jump cancels, etc. For instance, I noticed that I can't do full hops with B since I'm too used to sh, so I had to find a way of full hopping in a natural manner. The shoulder jump does that, so I actually use the buttons for specific purposes, that way my muscle memory stays untampered, so to speak.

Top Bottom