• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I played some smash on Anther's ladder. Link feels much safer now. I could space with Fair/Zair/Ftilt and not get punished. I think Link might rise a little in rankings.

Elessar isn't participating, just organizing and commentating. He's largely done with the game, he hadn't played in months until last week.
Oh. Well that's a lot of work too. Good stuff @Elessar :b:

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The majority of characters already could not punish Zair when spaced at the tip, but it is still ridicilously unsafe when not spaced at the tip, having very noticeable landing lag; and most characters can dash under and dash attack when you know it's coming (even Bowser, for instance).

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
The majority of characters already could not punish Zair when spaced at the tip, but it is still ridicilously unsafe when not spaced at the tip, having very noticeable landing lag; and most characters can dash under and dash attack when you know it's coming (even Bowser, for instance).
Is there an indication of where the tip hitbox (or how small it is) might be? Sometimes I still feel like I land the claw part of zair on shield, but still get punished for it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Is there an indication of where the tip hitbox (or how small it is) might be? Sometimes I still feel like I land the claw part of zair on shield, but still get punished for it.
To clarify people mean hit with Zair at max range. The hit bubbles always follow where the claw is. Link's Zair hits 2 times but the first hit can trigger anywhere after the claw starts extending since it lingers (frames 12-21). The second hit happens after the first ends frame 22-23.

This is from Brawl but it should be mostly accurate to show the hitbubble.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
To clarify people mean hit with Zair at max range. The hit bubbles always follow where the claw is. Link's Zair hits 2 times but the first hit can trigger anywhere after the claw starts extending since it lingers (frames 12-21). The second hit happens after the first ends frame 22-23.

This is from Brawl but it should be mostly accurate to show the hitbubble.
So there isn't a specific sweetspot? In that case, how is that even when I land a tipped Zair on shield, someone like Rosa has enough time to run up and grab me? I couldn't really tell if it was a power shield situation or not

Rizen

Smash Legend
So there isn't a specific sweetspot? In that case, how is that even when I land a tipped Zair on shield, someone like Rosa has enough time to run up and grab me? I couldn't really tell if it was a power shield situation or not
Rosa has an annoying dash grab. You can buffer an action like jab or roll as you land to have it activate the first possible frame. That might help.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Rosa has a boost grab that allows her to grab and deal 3% damage upon grabbing cuz Luma...

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I played some smash on Anther's ladder. Link feels much safer now. I could space with Fair/Zair/Ftilt and not get punished. I think Link might rise a little in rankings.

Oh. Well that's a lot of work too. Good stuff @Elessar :b:
I was going to ask about this. I have had 0 time to practice lately. I'm probably going to hop on late tomorrow. Shield stun seems to work in his favor after all.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Am I the only one here who doesn't like Sm4sh Link's Zair. It's just feels really different from his Brawl one and it's quiet uncomfortable. Also, the animation and the fact that that chain stay stiff is kind of silly IMAO.

:135:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Am I the only one here who doesn't like Sm4sh Link's Zair. It's just feels really different from his Brawl one and it's quiet uncomfortable. Also, the animation and the fact that that chain stay stiff is kind of silly IMAO.

It was a nerf from Brawl. Smash 4 Zair deals 6% instead of 10% and has more landing lag.
One the positive side it does reach farther and the longer tether is nice.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It was a nerf from Brawl. Smash 4 Zair deals 6% instead of 10% and has more landing lag.
One the positive side it does reach farther and the longer tether is nice.
Oh, I know It's damage was nerfed and I never really notice the landing lag. It just, when ever I played Link in Brawl, i feel like I could always hit his Zair, but in Sm4sh, it just feels really different and inconsistent to hit. I think i remember reading it had a start up nerf, I think? I don't know. I think I might be crazy. Or a Noob

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oh, I know It's damage was nerfed and I never really notice the landing lag. It just, when ever I played Link in Brawl, i feel like I could always hit his Zair, but in Sm4sh, it just feels really different and inconsistent to hit. I think i remember reading it had a start up nerf, I think? I don't know. I think I might be crazy. Or a Noob

The hitbubbles might have been reduced in size. Zair also travels farther but only hits at the claw so that means less hitbubble time near Link and a big blind spot. It starts frame 12 in SSB4 and was frame 11 in Brawl so that is a slight nerf.
It only has 8 frames landing lag.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Link
Air dodging first adds more landing lag so it's best not to.

Zair functions differently in SSB4. For close opponents use Fair or Nair.

Edit, I saw the Princess Styla Triforce Heroes trailer. Oh how the mighty have fallen :facepalm:

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
I wonder what time they're going to announce the Smash ballot results.. this should be interesting.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I like jab 2 with added hitstun. From what I know a jab 2 on shield is only -4 frame advantage which should be quite safe if spaced. Not even close to pre patch jab 1, but it could lead to some nice pressure.

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
Well, I've been doing well to receive cash now, but that's not why I'm won't be able to go to tournies this month. I'm just so busy that I won't be able to enter any tourney this month. :(

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Finally had the pleasure of receiving cash money for tourney placement, ayeee
Never forget, that I did it before you.

Well, I've been doing well to receive cash now, but that's not why I'm won't be able to go to tournies this month. I'm just so busy that I won't be able to enter any tourney this month. :(
I know that feeling. Solution: Call your employer and tell them that you died, and won't be making it to work that day.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Never forget, that I did it before you.
I still have that 30 dollar headset tho man, that was good stuff too.

Also stop being funny to girls I want to nail, better savor those likes!
That's a real shame. I try to find the near perfect balance where I am constantly busy but no so busy I have to miss many events I'd like to attend, or say no to social invitations. That's the sweetspot. Filling the hour, without having to make difficult decisions.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Hey guys!
I got 4/88 in the Paraguay National Tournament. Player7 was the winner, the best player of Brasil. Our fight was the most hype of the tournament :).
I wished to get at least 3rd, but I was hard readed by a Bowser in Loser's Semifinal... He is a very versatile player (nestoroth).

We will get the tournament fight on youtube soon...

PD: Elessar is a great tournament organizer. It was a very good experience!

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Hey guys!
I got 4/88 in the Paraguay National Tournament. Player7 was the winner, the best player of Brasil. Our fight was the most hype of the tournament :).
I wished to get at least 3rd, but I was hard readed by a Bowser in Loser's Semifinal... He is a very versatile player (nestoroth).

We will get the tournament fight on youtube soon...

PD: Elessar is a great tournament organizer. It was a very good experience!
I saw the fight against player 7 in stream, the guys in the Twitch chat could not believe it LOL

Rizen

Smash Legend
I picked up Darksiders 2 again. It's fun but I keep reverting back to Monster hunter controls, which are similar but with a completely different button layout. In MH 'Y' is sheath weapon but in DS it's scythe attack for example. I'm in the new game + lost temple and the floating heads keep killing me. I have to adjust to DS2 controls.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Somehow I doubt this generation can be saved from itself.
I'm going to send you some Play-Doh. Mold us back into what the Link boards used to be. It's sooooo ****ing boring.
One day Shin said, "Can I get a Goddamn?"

Well, Goddamn, what I'm hearing is burn it to the ground, rebuild it, and never talk about the dark days of daycare again.

What say you @Lozjam ?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
There's no way you could be a noob.
Is that sarcasm or are your being serious. If being serious, I don't see how I am not.

The hitbubbles might have been reduced in size. Zair also travels farther but only hits at the claw so that means less hitbubble time near Link and a big blind spot. It starts frame 12 in SSB4 and was frame 11 in Brawl so that is a slight nerf.
It only has 8 frames landing lag.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Link
Air dodging first adds more landing lag so it's best not to.

Zair functions differently in SSB4. For close opponents use Fair or Nair.
Hm, I knew that was more to it that just a damage reduction. It's probable the hitbox change that is really throwing me off. Yeah, I know about the air dodge lag, so I don't do it anymore.

I actually use Nair a lot. I just really love the move, ti's really freaking good!

Top Bottom