• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elitism? On the Link boards? Huh. I suppose that's another one of your great impressions.
@ Nimious Nimious I do hope you'll explain in great detail just what you mean by this little remark of yours. Try not to say anything silly while everyone's paying attention.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I was going to ignore all of this scrub talk until I read this:

Elitism? On the Link boards? Huh. I suppose that's another one of your great impressions.
I'll give you two chances to defend yourself first though. One, explain what you meant by this. Two, have you ever played in an offline tourney with more than 30 people in it?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
@ DUKEL DUKEL I just wanna clarify that at no point did I call her a scrub... Where did you get that from? However, she was at EVO sitting on block letting the time run out on herself. I'm sure there wasn't much tactic behind that. She mad a lot of mistakes during the match as well and showed that she could not handle Diddy's projectiles. She clearly showed that she was not ready for the match at all. Even the commentators were wondering what was going on.

I take your word for it. I'm sure she is a fine Ness player. But she certainly did not show it, that match. She barely put any work in.

If you can, find the video and watch it. You'll see what I mean.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Who the hell cares about how many tournaments you enter? "i've been to a offline 45 man tournament". Ok, good for you. It comes down to results. top 10, top 5 top 3 or I beat this guy and took him out or Who was attending. You could have joined a Tournament full of middle school kids for all we know.
It does not matter, o. Not saying online tournaments are any better.

Last edited:

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
Who the hell cares about how many tournaments you enter? "i've been to a offline 45 man tournament". Ok, good for you. It comes down to results. top 10, top 5 top 3 or I beat this guy and took him out or Who was attending. You could have joined a Tournament full of middle school kids for all we know.
It does not matter, o. Not saying online tournaments are any better.
Well considering you have never attended an offline tourney...

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
Attended one, made 4th, searching for my second. How you doin?
Good job please post these on the results thread with a link for the details. But there is the thing out of how many people. The more people attend the more people you had to beat, the greater likelihood of better players attending. For instance with your result of 4th that could have been out of 5 people. Oh and to answer your follow up I have never attended a tourney beyond that of me and my friends along with some other high schoolers with the most of 24 people once(our average is 10 to 15) I only manage to take 5th at the big one on average get second but these don't matter.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Good job please post these on the results thread with a link for the details. But there is the thing out of how many people. The more people attend the more people you had to beat, the greater likelihood of better players attending. For instance with your result of 4th that could have been out of 5 people. Oh and to answer your follow up I have never attended a tourney beyond that of me and my friends along with some other high schoolers with the most of 24 people once(our average is 10 to 15) I only manage to take 5th at the big one on average get second but these don't matter.
I'm not arguing with you. Good for you.

again I'm looking more. And it was only 6 teen-agers I believe, could be wrong. The rest had to be 20 something. Come on now, you know I like to show off. I would love to post the Link if it was streamed. or the bracket. How you, doin?

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Perhaps it'd affect some but I would doubt it'd affect them to the point where they appear to not even know how to play their character. It was the first time ever that I've seen someone on stream pace around a small area of the stage shielding and letting go of shield repeatedly while allowing themselves to be timed out.

If only it was about decision making at least that would have ended the match sooner.
It's clear you've never been put in that situation. Not surprising, judging by the way you seem to praise theorycraft and scoff at in person tournament jitters and raw emotion.

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
I'm not arguing with you. Good for you.

again I'm looking more. And it was only 6 teen-agers I believe, could be wrong. The rest had to be 20 something. Come on now, you know I like to show off. I would love to post the Link if it was streamed. or the bracket. How you, doin?
A link to the bracket would suffice. Arguing? That was my way of saying good morning.

And in your expert opinion what exactly is he doing wrong? Coming from someone who himself causes arguments I'd love to have your input.
He's getting replies, Lawz, that's what. And you're supposed to know better. If you don't respect your position, who will? You do remember why we needed another moderator in the first place, right?

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Its alright, good sir. Just try not to take the worst out of things. That's how conflict starts and that is never fun... at least on the internet.

Ughhhh. ZeRo won again! He making so much money! 11,540$ or something like that in 1 or 2 days?! Wow.... He needs to lose!
He's kicking everyone's ass with the most viable character in the game. The guy puts in a LOT of work and because of all that, he's unstoppable. He deserves it.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
There's an awful lot of butthurt going on in this thread. I swear these boards get more toon link by the day.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
@ Nimious Nimious I do hope you'll explain in great detail just what you mean by this little remark of yours. Try not to say anything silly while everyone's paying attention.
I was going to ignore all of this scrub talk until I read this:

I'll give you two chances to defend yourself first though. One, explain what you meant by this. Two, have you ever played in an offline tourney with more than 30 people in it?
elitism
noun elit·ism \ā-ˈlē-ˌti-zəm, i-, ē-\
Definition of ELITISM
1: leadership or rule by an
elite
2: the selectivity of the elite; especially : snobbery <elitism in choosing new members>
3: consciousness of being or belonging to an elite
elit·ist \-ˈlē-tist\ noun or adjective

Just to make sure we're all on the same page that definition is from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Being a Link main it's difficult to be an elitist when it comes to Smash. This is a not character that's in the upper echelons of the tier list and as we just went over is not achieving even decent results competitively. You play Link because you like playing Link and not for other ulterior motives.

As for the rest of the definition of being an elite, the closest thing to that here are you holdovers from Brawl and possible earlier and that's in the social context. I don't pretend at all to know you and I certainly don't try to curry your favour.

The only thing silly is that you two are questioning me on my belief that there isn't elitism here.

As for your second inquiry, yes I have played in offline tournaments with more than 30 people in it. It is difficult not to considering the typical weekly is 30 - 40 people. I compete as often as I can with the last tournament that I played in being on July 11th.

Results:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101212369055706&set=gm.1649598545253033&type=1&theater

It's clear you've never been put in that situation. Not surprising, judging by the way you seem to praise theorycraft and scoff at in person tournament jitters and raw emotion.
I've been put into this situation just last week. I had to play the Toronto player who had just knocked out one of the top Ottawa PR players. You probably saw her at EVO if you watched the Smash 4 portion as she's in the front row as staff. In any case the TO for Smash 4 came up to me and told me no pressure but she's a big deal.

http://www.twitch.tv/613smash/b/677231535?t=3h31m26s

Yes I was nervous but I asked the people in the scene who I should play and how and ultimately that would be Rosalina and Luma for her expected Jigglypuff.

However I'm only nervous to the point it affects me up until the match starts. It's counter productive otherwise. If I had the opportunity to play at EVO I would have been even less nervous. Where as at ECHO I had a chance of winning at EVO I would just be happy being there and playing.

As for raw emotion, I've seen that from the crushing losses but also experienced it when I had my first tournament win.

Also Lawz your idea that I "praise theorycraft" most likely comes from the fact that I played along with Catana and Dukel's remarks on my suggestion to start every match with a bomb. I only went into theory because of the scenarios they outlined that it supposedly would not work in. In reality I've been starting every match with a bomb and depending on the match-up with or without a jump and finding it safe.

On Dukel's part especially, he was very much wrong and because I've explained to him why I now come across as a "theorycrafter". That's a bit funny but there was no need for the theory when you have the experience.

But no, I don't "praise theorycraft" and yes I've been in those situations.

The real issue here is that I'm not as tactful as you all would like.

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Lol neither me or Cat were doing the theorycrafting dude, that was all you.

I'm starting to get the impression that now that smokebomb has calmed down, you're here to take his place.

Edit: I recently discovered that the reason that Day screwed up on stream is because she knew her hometown was watching and she felt like she had to deliver an extraordinary performance. It wasn't the quantity of viewers that made her (quite literally) freeze, but the specifics of who the viewers were that put an insane amount of pressure on her, as well as the pressure that her sponsor has put on her of late to do well on stream. She was going into the match wanting to win it for us, instead of just wanting to win it. And that's what inevitably made her freeze. Some people respond differently to high pressure situations, and it seems that she needs to work on not freezing when her friends/sponsor are watching.

Anyway I'm done with these topics. I'm going to try not to respond so vividly to trolling in the future because it's fun for nobody.

Last edited:
elitism
noun elit·ism \ā-ˈlē-ˌti-zəm, i-, ē-\
Definition of ELITISM
1: leadership or rule by an
elite
2: the selectivity of the elite; especially : snobbery <elitism in choosing new members>
3: consciousness of being or belonging to an elite
elit·ist \-ˈlē-tist\ noun or adjective

Just to make sure we're all on the same page that definition is from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Being a Link main it's difficult to be an elitist when it comes to Smash. This is a not character that's in the upper echelons of the tier list and as we just went over is not achieving even decent results competitively. You play Link because you like playing Link and not for other ulterior motives.

As for the rest of the definition of being an elite, the closest thing to that here are you holdovers from Brawl and possible earlier and that's in the social context. I don't pretend at all to know you and I certainly don't try to curry your favour.
1. We have no leaders.
2. Membership of the Link community is self selecting. There is no mysterious elite doing so.
3. If you take the Link boards as a whole to be an elite, this definition could apply since there is a great deal of member pride here.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Warning Received
Lol neither me or Cat were doing the theorycrafting dude, that was all you.

I'm starting to get the impression that now that smokebomb has calmed down, you're here to take his place.
Another awful impression :).

Where did I say you two were theorycrafting?

What I did say was "I only went into theory because of the scenarios they outlined that it supposedly would not work in."

No its not. Chars with fast approaches like ZSS or CF can easily get in or maybe even punish you for it, whether you jump or not. Against chars like that its usually better to throw your rang or jab. Pull bombs against slower characters on which it will be a guaranteed positive outcome for you or simply if you know it will work.

Except against chars that outcamp us like Yoshi or R.O.B., who will force you to get close to them.
I decided to run some tests in training mode, because we both apparently have a different concept of how fast Captain Falcon is. If you SH bomb pull from the start of the match, Captain Falcon will be able to start running ON REACTION when you're at the height of your short hop, and still get there in time to dash grab you WITHOUT DANGER OF PUNISHMENT on FD, Smashville, Halberd, and Delfino. With Town & City, he has to start running at the start of the match in order to get there in time, but he can still easily retreat (roll back) if you don't do your short hop bomb pull without getting punished for trying. Duck Hunt was the only flat start stage (in other words, a stage where the characters don't start on any platforms) that Captain Falcon could never get there in time.

Full hopping then pulling your bomb does net different results, but you have to be pretty accurate on your timing if you don't want to get grabbed. Also, Captain falcon has even more time to react than if you SH bomb pull. If you full hop, the only option for you to not get grabbed on the aforementioned stages is a forward thrown bomb while you're still in the air. If you mistime the bomb throw however, the bomb goes over Falcon's head (due to his dash grab animation making him duck a little), and he grabs you. Z dropping and throwing the bomb down didn't work due to the nature of Captain Falcon's dash grab's slide which passes the bomb without an issue.

Turns out you were underestimating Falcon's speed, like I assumed.
Are these not scenarios?

In your case you're especially wrong. Link SH bomb pulls and can shield before Falcon arrives if he runs after seeing you bomb pull.

http://www.twitch.tv/mvg_league/v/7284829?t=2h45m06s

Obviously in this case a spot dodge should have been the option.

There's no theory with the explanation I gave you. I know from experience.

1. We have no leaders.
2. Membership of the Link community is self selecting. There is no mysterious elite doing so.
3. If you take the Link boards as a whole to be an elite, this definition could apply since there is a great deal of member pride here.
As I said I don't believe the Link board is an elitist place. Having pride and being an elitist are not the same.

Have I answered you sufficiently?

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
This just in: Legitimate research is now considered theorycrafting. BTW - Falcon can grab us before we touch the ground so spot dodging is literally impossible in the scenarios I listed. I didn't mention that part because I thought it was obvious considering the information I gave, so you just responded to research with more inaccurate theorycraft. Lol.

Foxy confirmed nothing more than a scrubby theorycrafter.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Hey, I'm back from Norway. I wish I could have joined in more actively these past few days, I missed all the fun with cheap phone messages only :sadeyes: 'Can confirm Afro is the man though.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Warning Received
This just in: Legitimate research is now considered theorycrafting. BTW - Falcon can grab us before we touch the ground so spot dodging is literally impossible in the scenarios I listed. I didn't mention that part because I thought it was obvious considering the information I gave, so you just responded to research with more inaccurate theorycraft. Lol.

Foxy confirmed nothing more than a scrubby theorycrafter.
I just linked you to a video where Link did a SH without direction, lands and held shield before getting grabbed. Completely contrary to what you said.

In my own explanation to you I said this could entirely be avoided if Link SH back while pulling bomb or FH.

There is nothing inaccurate about it.

You do research as badly as you play honestly.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Y'all fools need Hylia...
Also...
Aren't moderators supposed to try to improve the quality of the board?
I lol'd
And while I respect the perspective from which you made this inquiry, I find it odd coming from you in regards to your (and admittedly my own as well) predilection to debauchery.
But I should prolly stop there before I'm due for another paddlin'

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I'd like some recent footage of DUKEL tbh, I bet he's improved a lot since he played some random Falcon on FG and had that recorded LOL
Why is he the man?
He's just really cool. I'll share some live commentary on the Ramin vs Nairo set from him, me, Cat and other Norwegian all-stars some day.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Watching Minions for my brothers birthday at the moment.
Ughhhh. ZeRo won again! He making so much money! 11,540$ or something like that in 1 or 2 days?! Wow.... He needs to lose!
Watching your replays, I hope someone who mains Link can take you out. You killed a sheik with Hero spin with 22%! You must be dealt with.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Oh. I thought he won the tourney or something.
No but he did beat me in tourney (Ryu game 1, then lost a Link ditto, then he won a Link ditto). Can't be done though, it was like trying to slay a brother.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Hey, I'm back from Norway. I wish I could have joined in more actively these past few days, I missed all the fun with cheap phone messages only :sadeyes: 'Can confirm Afro is the man though.
Im sorry for I must prove this wrong.

@NofroTwist ProteinfartPie is secretly a hardcore weaboo that does nothing but play dating simulators and other trashy weaboo games all day and night.

Top Bottom