• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
@ smokebomb12 smokebomb12
WTF You play like your in FG. If you say your the best, play like it. Even though I beat you so many times, I just hate your For Glory Playstyle. Its annoying and bull S*****
You take advantage of lag and items and that all you do.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
@ smokebomb12 smokebomb12
WTF You play like your in FG. If you say your the best, play like it. Even though I beat you so many times, I just hate your For Glory Playstyle. Its annoying and bull S*****
You take advantage of lag and items and that all you do.
Huh? What are you talking about man? I'm not like that.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Posting in the Link social is so daunting sometimes, especially when reading through the posts that show the apparently tightly knit bonds between previous Brawl Link mains. Luckily, the goddesses have blessed me with the triforce of courage to at least try to post more often.

After participating in CEO this year, I've decided to attend my local weekly as soon as I get a new controller (RIP in peace Ol' Reliable). However, I'm not sure how I should go about practicing outside of the weeklies. I can't exactly go to another smasher's house and practice since I'm only 17, and my younger brother doesn't take smash seriously. Any suggestions?
You don't have a friend who plays smash? Visit him and set up friendlies there with a Facebook group or something.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
You don't have a friend who plays smash? Visit him and set up friendlies there with a Facebook group or something.
Why did I get a notification you quoted my post? I was so excited to see what you'd have to say Embarrass

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
Is he trying to survive a Zombie outbreak or play smash?
Maybe both. Maybe he needs one thing to do the other. Maybe the true secret for surviving to a Zombie apocalypse is to play smash and only smashers will see the new world coming. Who knows?

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Why did I get a notification you quoted my post? I was so excited to see what you'd have to say Embarrass
I was going to say something along the lines of: "His scene for Smash probably sucks, so it's a possibility he can't, much like the area I lived at before I moved two years ago, when I was introduced to competitive Smash," but then I realized he mentioned he went to CEO (meaning he doesn't mind traveling) so that was a mistake of me jumping to conclusions.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Change your playstyle! When I faced you again. I thought I was playing a for glory noob. And there was lag.

@ Elessar Elessar and @All of the link mains who told me not to take wifi serious. I thank you guys and god bless you guys as well. I quit Smashladder because every match I played had lag or Spammy Noobs or people who play high tier and know nothing of the MU what so ever.

Wifi is **** you cant change that fact

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
I was going to say something along the lines of: "His scene for Smash probably sucks, so it's a possibility he can't, much like the area I lived at before I moved two years ago, when I was introduced to competitive Smash," but then I realized he mentioned he went to CEO (meaning he doesn't mind traveling) so that was a mistake of me jumping to conclusions.
I actually live in SFL, so I've apparently got a lot of smash scene around me, lol. VS Gaming is about a 30 minute drive from my house, and Miami is an hour drive. My best friend is super into smash as well (We're sparring and doubles partners), but he's in Tennessee for the summer. I just happen to live right in the middle of these two great smash scenes, and I can't find anybody who is into smash that doesn't hate the competitive side of it. I was actually thinking about just going there when the place opens with like, $20 dollars in singles and moneymatching people, but I'm not sure if that would be a financially secure decision...:confused:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Change your playstyle! When I faced you again. I thought I was playing a for glory noob. And there was lag.

@ Elessar Elessar and @All of the link mains who told me not to take wifi serious. I thank you guys and god bless you guys as well. I quit Smashladder because every match I played had lag or Spammy Noobs or people who play high tier and know nothing of the MU what so ever.

Wifi is **** you cant change that fact
We told you from day one, but you didn't believe us. Nobody does because it's really hard to understand the huge difference that that "minimal" delay causes in gameplay. Wifi is a horrible measure of skill, and anybody who thinks otherwise is a scrub.

Go offline, go rep Link in a tourney, make us proud.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I hate Wi-fi for this very reason. The false accusation of "measure of skill" and the fact that precise inputs are extremely difficult to do online. Very big reason why alot of people don't play rushdown characters online, notably Sheik.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
We told you from day one, but you didn't believe us. Nobody does because it's really hard to understand the huge difference that that "minimal" delay causes in gameplay. Wifi is a horrible measure of skill, and anybody who thinks otherwise is a scrub.

Go offline, go rep Link in a tourney, make us proud.
I was dumb : D
I hate Wi-fi for this very reason. The false accusation of "measure of skill" and the fact that precise inputs are extremely difficult to do online. Very big reason why alot of people don't play rushdown characters online, notably Sheik.
Yup. The only reason is lag

Looks like you're suffering from some latency.
Actually, most of the time my connection is pretty good. (Even when it isn't, I can still have good fun with people overseas or in other continents, because none of us bring an ego to the game.) It's just that regardless of that, WiFi is not meant to be taken seriously. It's a decent source of match up experience and, in absentia of an offline sparing partner, acceptable practice when not played so as to abuse certain... Quirks of the system.

My gripe is not with WiFi, my gripe is with WiFi Warriors.

Last edited:

Be_Mild

Livin' life on the mild side
NNID
BeMild
3DS FC
1676-4317-5374
Actually, most of the time my connection is pretty good. (Even when it isn't, I can still have good fun with people overseas or in other continents, because none of us bring an ego to the game.) It's just that regardless of that, WiFi is not meant to be taken seriously. It's a decent source of match up experience and, in absentia of an offline sparing partner, acceptable practice when not played so as to abuse certain... Quirks of the system.

My gripe is not with WiFi, my gripe is with WiFi Warriors.
I just meant the hiccups in your picture, but if the miscommunication/interpretation gives the warriors more medicine to read I'll still consider it a pretty good post, regardless.

I just meant the hiccups in your picture, but if the miscommunication/interpretation gives the warriors more medicine to read I'll still consider it a pretty good post, regardless.
Oh, no. That's just an artifact of the tileset the game was using when I took that screen shot.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
the only thing I hate about online Is that everyone is the same.

Everyone plays ****ty top tier characters.

And lag... and button delay, which is even worse.
I never said it makes you a good player. I just go to fight people who I may not meet inperson.

Also I'm going to Canada to stay with my Aunt, But the best part is, Canada I hear has a great Smash scene.

But honestly, its just WIFI. And it could be worse. Remember brawl WIFI.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
the only thing I hate about online Is that everyone is the same.

Everyone plays ****ty top tier characters.

And lag... and button delay, which is even worse.
I never said it makes you a good player. I just go to fight people who I may not meet inperson.

Also I'm going to Canada to stay with my Aunt, But the best part is, Canada I hear has a great Smash scene.

But honestly, its just WIFI. And it could be worse. Remember brawl WIFI.
What's wrong with everyone using a top tier? Most people in tournaments will also. Why should they be seen as lesser because they decided they want a better chance at winning?

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
What's wrong with everyone using a top tier? Most people in tournaments will also. Why should they be seen as lesser because they decided they want a better chance at winning?
They play ****ty top tier characters.

If a pro player picked Sonic, ok lets do this. But a FG scrub who plays a ****ty Sonic is obviously a scrub.

I have nothing against top tiers. One my secondary main is a top tier.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
A very bad player playing an intriguing and original character like Wii Fit Trainer is another amiable guy trying to get good at the game; a very bad player trying to abuse some top tier is just another dull idiot to be beaten up. For them it's the difference between placing 65th or 49th; for us it's the difference between still being fun or just being a chore. It's not as if character matters at that level. They'll get beaten up either way.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
A very bad player playing an intriguing and original character like Wii Fit Trainer is another amiable guy trying to get good at the game; a very bad player trying to abuse some top tier is just another dull idiot to be beaten up. For them it's the difference between placing 65th or 49th; for us it's the difference between still being fun or just being a chore. It's not as if character matters at that level. They'll get beaten up either way.
I guess we just don't know if they are doing it cause the actually like the character or they just want a win. It's hard to say.

It's not like vanilla Marvel vs Capcom 3 when everyone and their dog was using sentinel (ugh! what a OP mother ****** ).

Let them use the top tiers (though on wifi characters like sheik and sonic have a tougher time because of precision being hard with lag). Beat them and get stronger at the matchup. You'll need it

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I guess we just don't know if they are doing it cause the actually like the character or they just want a win. It's hard to say.

It's not like vanilla Marvel vs Capcom 3 when everyone and their dog was using sentinel (ugh! what a OP mother ****** ).

Let them use the top tiers (though on wifi characters like sheik and sonic have a tougher time because of precision being hard with lag). Beat them and get stronger at the matchup. You'll need it
Don't forget MvC2, where Sentinel was arguably more annoying to deal with.
Yeah, lag is a big factor for people not using super precise top tiers on wifi IMO. Probably the reason why I rarely see Sheiks on there.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
My name is Smokebomb12, and I approve this message. Some people choose top tiers cause they fit there play? I have nothing against that. good for you get better. But maining him cause ZeRo does is like ... Why?

Don't forget MvC2, where Sentinel was arguably more annoying to deal with.
Yeah, lag is a big factor for people not using super precise top tiers on wifi IMO. Probably the reason why I rarely see Sheiks on there.
Am I the only one who has never played Mvs.C? It looks fun, but I'm that one console per 4 years kid.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well... True Tier lists are decided much in part by tournament results. The fact that ZeRo has destroyed every tourney including EVO with Shiek is more than enough reason to place her at top tier. That's why people use Shiek. She's completely battle-proven.

People who go to huge tourneys with a character that isn't really viable at all is just asking to lose.

People use top tiers to win... Something nobody should be salty about. I mean ZeRo just won close to 12 grand because he put work in with the best character in the game.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Well... True Tier lists are decided much in part by tournament results. The fact that ZeRo has destroyed every tourney including EVO with Shiek is more than enough reason to place her at top tier. That's why people use Shiek. She's completely battle-proven.

People who go to huge tourneys with a character that isn't really viable at all is just asking to lose.

People use top tiers to win... Something nobody should be salty about. I mean ZeRo just won close to 12 grand because he put work in with the best character in the game.
I am maiming link because I want to grow with him and I genuinely love him but this guy speaks true nonetheless

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
That's a laughably unconvincing video: given his voice and his mannerisms I'd be inclined to do the exact opposite of what he said. A good way to go through life is to do the exact opposite of what ******* say, it's the easiest road to success.

It targets competent competitive players. That's a very small percentage of people. The majority are bad; if they pick up a top tier they will do no better, and far from 'respecting' their opponent they're just making the game dull. They won't learn from it, they'll just get accustomed to very good and abusable moves and options that doesn't make them actually learn the ins and outs of the game. Nobody liked some newbie who came in with his MK in Brawl to get 49th pressing B a lot. When a competent player like Lawz starts to play Sheik it's because he wants to know he is losing only because he is the worst player; with a newbie who loses anyway, it's just a waste of everyone's time.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
That's a laughably unconvincing video: given his voice and his mannerisms I'd be inclined to do the exact opposite of what he said. A good way to go through life is to do the exact opposite of what ******* say, it's the easiest road to success.

It targets competent competitive players. That's a very small percentage of people. The majority are bad; if they pick up a top tier they will do no better, and far from 'respecting' their opponent they're just making the game dull. They won't learn from it, they'll just get accustomed to very good and abusable moves and options that doesn't make them actually learn the ins and outs of the game. Nobody liked some newbie who came in with his MK in Brawl to get 49th pressing B a lot. When a competent player like Lawz starts to play Sheik it's because he wants to know he is losing only because he is the worst player; with a newbie who loses anyway, it's just a waste of everyone's time.
Then perhaps they learned the valuable lesson that character isn't everything but they are not wrong for their decision. They would do just as poorly with ****ing Pokemon trainer at that point so I don't see how that validates your arguement.

Choosing a better character when you are deciding to play competively at all is honestly the smart decision and if you chose other wise you either have a lot of love for that character, like most of us, or you're being a god damned hipster about it

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Bottom line.

If you want to win, I mean like REALLY win, you are not going to take link, you are not going to take charizard and blah blah blah. No, you are going to play sheik or luigi or Rosalina...you get the picture.

WE want to be the best we can be with link but when half our discussion revolves around "how to make Link viable" he isn't going to win any major tournament. When these kids look to be the best smash player they can be and aspire to win of course they're going to look at the top. Why wouldn't they?! There isn't some imaginary bar of entry to play sheik. Let them go for it. They'll be scrubby with whatever they use but they are learning a whole new world to this game and they went in with a mindset to win. We can't all be Ash and win with a ****ing pikachu

We made a decision to play a character we fell in love with but we damn well know what that means for us.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey Link mains, got a question for you.

If you could give you buff or change to Link, just one, what would it be and why?

Bottom line.

If you want to win, I mean like REALLY win, you are not going to take link, you are not going to take charizard and blah blah blah. No, you are going to play sheik or luigi or Rosalina...you get the picture.

WE want to be the best we can be with link but when half our discussion revolves around "how to make Link viable" he isn't going to win any major tournament. When these kids look to be the best smash player they can be and aspire to win of course they're going to look at the top. Why wouldn't they?! There isn't some imaginary bar of entry to play sheik. Let them go for it. They'll be scrubby with whatever they use but they are learning a whole new world to this game and they went in with a mindset to win. We can't all be Ash and win with a ****ing pikachu

We made a decision to play a character we fell in love with but we damn well know what that means for us.
Well, I mean, Link could actually still win a tournament. Will be hard, but not impossible

Top Bottom