• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

FSK

Smash Ace
Even though http://evo2015.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssb4_f45.html is still blank it looks like Scizor didn't make it out. That pool was way too stacked with Dabuz, Staticmanny, Scizor, Mr.E, Jtails, DkWill, Fow and Amsa.
Since Staticmanny advanced to top 32 bracket in winners he would have sent Dabuz to losers in M. Since Dabuz made it into top 32 losers he would have won the loser finals in the quarter bracket. Scizor lost to Staticmanny first match and would end up meeting Dabuz in the loser finals if he got that far. If this is the case then that is very respectable, losing to players that will probably end up in top 8.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Darn so Kirin's out? It was a good effort repping Link none-the-less.
But how can he be out? I mean, not only is Link a high top char, but he also has an amazing kill setup that completely makes up for our clearly broken jab 1 cancel.

Let me quote Ryu here, "talk is cheap".

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
What will forever kill me about the removal of our jab 1 cancel is the fact that Fox still has one...

Anyway watched an EVO match last night that really bugged me. A Ness player literally let the clock run out on her in the final match. The other player used diddy kong and just kept shooting peanuts at her and she did nothing. She has absolutely no idea what to do. It was hilarious.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What will forever kill me about the removal of our jab 1 cancel is the fact that Fox still has one...

Anyway watched an EVO match last night that really bugged me. A Ness player literally let the clock run out on her in the final match. The other player used diddy kong and just kept shooting peanuts at her and she did nothing. She has absolutely no idea what to do. It was hilarious.
I was having my doubts about having decided to not watch Evo, until I read this. Now, I have no regrets.

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Even if Scizor's out it's still quite impressive he he made it to quarterfinal pools. His pool was way too stacked tho.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
But that's what all good men do: they make women forget the time.

Speaking of women that female link player needs to slow down, she's currently Too Fast for Link, aayeee

She's a streamline queen
On a sex craved vidya screen
Say it again
She'll use her time up
Have nothing to show
Well mark my words
Do you remember?
Well I remember
Oh no, oh no

Too fast,
Too fast for Link
She's too fast,
Too fast for Link

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
There were 2 players that used Link (don't remember the players), and both were awful. One of them tried doing Jab 1 > Jab 2 > Up B, and the other was defeated by a PK Flash.....

ama99

Smash Journeyman
There were 2 players that used Link (don't remember the players), and both were awful. One of them tried doing Jab 1 > Jab 2 > Up B, and the other was defeated by a PK Flash.....
Those were only the ones that played on stream. Scizor is guaranteed to be top 256. We just don't know how far he made it.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Is Scizor one of the highest ranking Link mains across all titles San 64? I don't ever recall a Link making it out of pools before in any Smash game this far outside of Isai.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Is Scizor one of the highest ranking Link mains across all titles San 64? I don't ever recall a Link making it out of pools before in any Smash game this far outside of Isai.
Saus won his first pool that had Scar in it for Melee, same with Germ. Then Saus ended up in a pool that had Mango and some other hard hitters. Not sure if he made it out of that one.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
In my opinion the best Link in Smash 4 was always played by Cocgen and Scizor but for Melee it's without a doubt Saus. It's not Ottawa pride that makes me say that but his Link is far and above the other Links. He's number one on the PR here and for good reason.

As for Brawl I'm not so sure but I kind of feel like it'd be KirinBlaze. Don't quote me though it's just a feeling.

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
In my opinion the best Link in Smash 4 was always played by Cocgen and Scizor but for Melee it's without a doubt Saus. It's not Ottawa pride that makes me say that but his Link is far and above the other Links. He's number one on the PR here and for good reason.

As for Brawl I'm not so sure but I kind of feel like it'd be KirinBlaze. Don't quote me though it's just a feeling.
I agree that scizor is probably the best link at the moment. His results show that he's the best link in smash 4. I also agree that saus is the best link melee. He really knows his character. His Link is in another level.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Man, I wished Scizor made it out of his pool. Heard many top players were there in his pool. I bet he had some great games with them there cause the Links that were on stream weren't that great at all.
EVO was pretty decent. Lots of variety and great play in the top 32. Seeing how customs were used in this tournament, it's pretty much up to us whether or not we want them. They'll probably get banned, but I'm content with the decision either way.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Brawl had Deva early on, who returned later, then Legan, Arkive and Kirin; Scizor too towards the end. Personally I always wanted to physically violate Legan's Link by touching it in the no-no areas but opinions differ.

Legan and Arkive were my favourites to watch, unless the map was Norfair. Then Deva was the best to watch.

As for who was technically best? Who knows.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
I'm gonna use it at least 10 times in all my matches from now on, to make up for all the pain I've caused :'(

And just to repeat it again, this AT is awesome. Being able to soft-throw a bomb the same way you are running. I want to make a vid of it and some uses, but if Izaw is already doing it then meh.
Would you recommend changing the L or R bumper to Jump, in order to do a running soft-throw?

Last edited:

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187

I watched that one. That was dumb.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Would you recommend changing the L or R bumper to Jump, in order to do a running soft-throw?
If you're considering changing a bumper to jump it would have to be L. There's several advantages to this such as quicker and better control over your aerials as there'd be no delay between hitting jump (assuming it's y) and A. It's even better if you have c-stick set to attack as you can now buffer aerials to be frame perfect and retain full control (i.e full length SH back Fair without ever pushing the opposite direction on control stick and also starting Fair at the earliest possible frame as its buffered).

It's possible to do this with R but it would feel very awkward.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Legan and Arkive were my favourites to watch, unless the map was Norfair. Then Deva was the best to watch.

As for who was technically best? Who knows.
Was Deva that one Link who counter picked M2K's MK to Norfair in Brawl, or am I thinking of someone else?

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I wish there were more Link reps at EVO... I watched a good amount of the streams and saw none. But it's okay, I understand.

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I feel honor-bound to defend my hometown friend for a minute, so I'm going to rant here for a minute due to how irritated I am that you'd imply that she was a scrubby player. Her tag is Day?! (i think it used to be daylightful) and she's actually not a bad player - she just tends to not play so well on stream. She placed 17th in teams at Apex, for instance, and also placed 256th overall yesterday. In Cincinnati, we tend to run 3 stock, 8 minutes, with no customs at our tournaments and so that's how she practices in general. I was told that it was for that reason that she was timed out on stream. She was used to having more time and didn't notice how little time she had until about the 30 second mark.

Now I know I'm johning for my friend. I also admittedly missed the match as I was elsewhere when it happened, so I can't be sure how she played on stream, so I only know what I was told in various group chats by various people about how she played. She also received bad coaching, with people telling her not to switch to her secondary (Mario), despite the fact she felt like she should make the switch for that specific matchup. Due to ness' inability to approach well against projectile spam - especially when that projectile spam is via a custom move, which to my understanding was exactly what was being done. Regardless, it is pretty odd that, out of all matches played on stream, you mention the one with the one person that I personally know.

Anyway, did anyone watch the matches played today? There were so many hype games! I was on the edge of my seat for some entire matches - particularly in the ESAM vs. Abadango match. Not to mention that every player that played the timeout strategy got timed out themselves, to knock them out of either winners or losers bracket in a form of poetic justice. Not a bad watching experience AT ALL.

Last edited:

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
I feel honor-bound to defend my hometown friend for a minute, so I'm going to rant here for a minute due to how irritated I am that you'd imply that she was a scrubby player. Her tag is Day?! (i think it used to be daylightful) and she's actually not a bad player - she just tends to not play so well on stream. She placed 17th in teams at Apex, for instance, and also placed 256th overall yesterday. In Cincinnati, we tend to run 3 stock, 8 minutes, with no customs at our tournaments and so that's how she practices in general. I was told that it was for that reason that she was timed out on stream. She was used to having more time and didn't notice how little time she had until about the 30 second mark.

Now I know I'm johning for my friend. I also admittedly missed the match as I was elsewhere when it happened, so I can't be sure how she played on stream, so I only know what I was told in various group chats by various people about how she played. She also received bad coaching, with people telling her not to switch to her secondary (Mario), despite the fact she felt like she should make the switch for that specific matchup. Due to ness' inability to approach well against projectile spam - especially when that projectile spam is via a custom move, which to my understanding was exactly what was being done. Regardless, it is pretty odd that, out of all matches played on stream, you mention the one with the one person that I personally know.

Anyway, did anyone watch the matches played today? There were so many hype games! I was on the edge of my seat for some entire matches - particularly in the ESAM vs. Abadango match. Not to mention that every player that played the timeout strategy got timed out themselves, to knock them out of either winners or losers bracket in a form of poetic justice. Not a bad watching experience AT ALL.
oh I know her I met her at smash n splash. I did friendlies with her. She has a very good Ness. Did pretty well in doubles too.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So I think I've finally decided I'll use Link as a secondary, as I come here about as often as the Mario Skype group, and am starting to feel a bit more comfortable using him after having to get used to the jab nerfs originally ruining my playstyle. That being said, I'd like to get more accustomed to him playing friendlies with you guys, and I certainly don't prefer using him for rush down characters at all (namely Fox and Mario)

Last edited:

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious

Well, I watched the match and so too did some of the Ness mains of scene here. We all thought the same thing, your friend just appeared to have no idea how to play not only the match-up but Ness in general. The way she let herself get timed out just added to that impression.

While your scene may have strange rules there's no way she didn't know that the rules at EVO were different. In any case she had plenty of time to look at the clock as she literally stood in place shielding (as if practicing perfect shields) and did so repeatedly. There was no hint of a plan from her so some joked she thought higher percentage wins or there would be sudden death.

It was that bad. You should watch her match first and see for yourself.

I also don't get why she'd play badly just because she's on stream. If getting nervous is a thing why is she competing at EVO of all places?

Also how indicative is she of your scene? I mean she did travel across your country to compete there.

So I think I've finally decided I'll use Link as a secondary, as I come here about as often as the Mario Skype group, and am starting to feel a bit more comfortable using him after having to get used to the jab nerfs originally ruining my playstyle. That being said, I'd like to get more accustomed to him playing friendlies with you guys, and I certainly don't prefer using him for rush down characters at all (namely Fox and Mario)
If you want to get better with Link just playing more matches in general would be good for you. You'll just get a lot of Link dittos if you're asking the Link board though and that might not be all that helpful as competitively it'd be rare to get a Link ditto. Also from personal experience when playing Link vs Link I treat it a lot different from other match-ups. However if you still want to play, depending on your location I'd be happy to play you :).

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Go to EVO and play on stream knowing 15,000+ people are watching you. I'm sure your decision making will be top tier as well.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Go to EVO and play on stream knowing 15,000+ people are watching you. I'm sure your decision making will be top tier as well.
Perhaps it'd affect some but I would doubt it'd affect them to the point where they appear to not even know how to play their character. It was the first time ever that I've seen someone on stream pace around a small area of the stage shielding and letting go of shield repeatedly while allowing themselves to be timed out.

If only it was about decision making at least that would have ended the match sooner.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I'm starting to get the impression that you like talking down on people. But it doesn't even work, since you only use poor arguments, with a heavy dose of elitism. This is the last time I'm going to bother responding to anything you post with any sort of serious response instead of just treating you like the old smokebomb whom you resemble quite nicely.
Well, I watched the match and so too did some of the Ness mains of scene here. We all thought the same thing, your friend just appeared to have no idea how to play not only the match-up but Ness in general. The way she let herself get timed out just added to that impression.
You're right! She has no idea how to play Ness. She's a complete scrub that got 17th in doubles at Apex by complete accident. The fact that she was featured in FC Return's hype registration video was a perfect indication about how poor she is. (for whatever reason they used her real name in the video instead of her tag)
While your scene may have strange rules
Yes, because 3 stock 8 minutes is such a strange ruleset. It's literally the most popular ruleset in the Midwest. It's rare to ever see a 2 stock tournament here.
There's no way she didn't know that the rules at EVO were different. In any case she had plenty of time to look at the clock as she literally stood in place shielding (as if practicing perfect shields) and did so repeatedly. There was no hint of a plan from her so some joked she thought higher percentage wins or there would be sudden death.
The next time you're on stream at a major and you're facing a move you've never seen utilized before that doesn't let you approach, good luck making sure you're good on the time. Also, timing a perfect shield while super nervous and shaky is almost impossible in my experience.
Also how indicative is she of your scene? I mean she did travel across your country to compete there.
She's one of our best players, and considering she placed better than 7/8 people that participated in EVO, that's not exactly a bad placement for the up-and-coming scene that is Cincinnati. Other notable players that we have are Mister Eric, Absol, Katakiri, Sai, Fumbles, and Overswarm (whenever he actually comes around).

In the end, I don't really give a crap about what you think about my scene. We have results. The level of play that I see on a weekly basis might not be the same as the Florida scene, but I certainly believe that we're getting there. Don't sleep on the midwest.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
So were Kirin & Scizor ever on stream in the end? Hopefully they have videos of some of their matches to upload. It sounds like Scizor was in a super stacked bracket, so there may have been some interesting matches there.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Nope, and the only Links that did get stream time got beat pretty soundly. Scizor made it to second round pools and got stacked up on in a bracket with staticmanny, Mr.E, Jtails, Fow, Will, Amsa, and Dabuz. Kirin iirc got stuffed by tough matchups in first round pools.

Congrats to those who attended, and enjoy a pat on the back of yours truly.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
Warning Received
I'm starting to get the impression that you like talking down on people. But it doesn't even work, since you only use poor arguments, with a heavy dose of elitism.You're right!
I like talking down on people? Huh. Seeing as I spend most of my time on the video critique thread actually trying to give good detailed critiques (including having done one for you) and helping and offering help to other Links I wouldn't think you're right. You should know that as you so badly denied advice I gave just a few days earlier as you argued that FG SH arrow strat of yours that'd only work on Samus was so much better.

Elitism? On the Link boards? Huh. I suppose that's another one of your great impressions.
So touchy when I'm explaining to you that she did by all means come off as a bad Ness player. That was the obvious impression she gave. Again, watch the game she played.

As for whatever poor argument I was supposedly making, I wasn't trying to make an argument. I was giving an explanation foremost.

She has no idea how to play Ness. She's a complete scrub that got 17th in doubles at Apex by complete accident. The fact that she was featured in FC Return's hype registration video was a perfect indication about how poor she is. (for whatever reason they used her real name in the video instead of her tag)
Dynamic of doubles makes it less indicative of individual skill. Does this really need an explanation?

I'm also not trying to argue she's a "complete scrub" but I guess that's just another of your great impressions.

Yes yes, featured in that "hype" video doing Ness' Fair to Fair to Fair to Fair. Real hype... I suppose you want that to be a great indicator of "how poor" she plays?

Yes, because 3 stock 8 minutes is such a strange ruleset. It's literally the most popular ruleset in the Midwest. It's rare to ever see a 2 stock tournament here.The next time you're on stream at a major and you're facing a move you've never seen utilized before that doesn't let you approach, good luck making sure you're good on the time. Also, timing a perfect shield while super nervous and shaky is almost impossible in my experience.
Well, first time I'm hearing of 3 stock 8 minutes being the most popular ruleset in the Midwest. I've certainly never seen that though I'm not sure why seeing the Apex ruleset is so rare over there given it's the most common ruleset everywhere else.

It wasn't like she couldn't approach literally. She clearly chose not to as every-time she got in she couldn't make anything of it. Just watch the match, it wasn't as ridiculously difficult as you're making it out to be. She was given time and space to figure things out and instead it looked like she resigned herself to being timed out. As I said before it didn't look like she had a plan. At the very least I wouldn't let that happen to myself.

She's one of our best players, and considering she placed better than 7/8 people that participated in EVO, that's not exactly a bad placement for the up-and-coming scene that is Cincinnati. Other notable players that we have are Mister Eric, Absol, Katakiri, Sai, Fumbles, and Overswarm (whenever he actually comes around).

In the end, I don't really give a crap about what you think about my scene. We have results. The level of play that I see on a weekly basis might not be the same as the Florida scene, but I certainly believe that we're getting there. Don't sleep on the midwest.
Okay, so it is indicative.

I watched most of the stream, honestly being better than 7/8 people doesn't mean much. Most of the pool stream felt like it was FG.

Well then congratulations on your scene's results.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
SO after EVO me and my Friends decided to play some Smash. One of my buddies asked me for some Link advise cause he wanted to main him. And right when I was going to give him some, My brother shouts "Just main Gay". Now he wants is considering maining Gay instead of Link.

What is something I can say to get him into Link instead of Gay?

What can Link do, that Gay can't?

Top Bottom