• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yeah....that drives me crazy too. I do mean that I like just about everything when I say it. Though I have come to find a definitively favorite band.

That question, though, when it comes to video games is impossible for me
I agree. I believe that all notions of having a definitive "one" favourite are childish notions.

So, are you going to say which band(s) you like?
Didn't you read my rant? While there are bands I like, I won't choose one over the other.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Palutena is incredibly fun.
She is, just ask AeroLink.
My favorite bands are Rush and REM.
Rush is so cool for having the same line-up now for over 40 years, that's insane.

Almost everyone here knows by now I love all-female rock bands like Girlschool and The Amorettes and will rock to anything by the J. Geils Band pre-1980. Also the Newcastle new wave of British heavy metal band Raven was the **** their first three albums, I love those.
I agree. I believe that all notions of having a definitive "one" favourite are childish notions.
There are enough fine and credible authors who named their favorite authors and works. Of course maybe there isn't always a "one", but a selection is fine, and Carlyle did call Goethe his "God" and Hazlitt bought the house Milton lived in once because he loved him so much -- and they sure as **** weren't childish.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
She is, just ask AeroLink.

Rush is so cool for having the same line-up now for over 40 years, that's insane.

Almost everyone here knows by now I love all-female rock bands like Girlschool and The Amorettes and will rock to anything by the J. Geils Band pre-1980. Also the Newcastle new wave of British heavy metal band Raven was the **** their first three albums, I love those.

There are enough fine and credible authors who named their favorite authors and works. Of course maybe there isn't always a "one", but a selection is fine, and Carlyle did call Goethe his "God" and Hazlitt bought the house Milton lived in once because he loved him so much -- and they sure as **** weren't childish.
I just believe that choosing one is a deservice to the others you enjoy. For instance, I could easily say that Tolkien is my favorite author because I love tlotr books, but that would be a disservice to all the other authors I have enjoyed equally as much as Tolkien (like Orwell).

Concerning bands I can provide a selection, but if pressed to choose one I again feel it would be a disservice. Why one? What is the imperative need that makes it mandatory for just one?

But yeah, screw Nu Metal. That's metal wannabe, precursors to emo.

@ Elessar Elessar could you be a dear and unban me from XAT please?
When I get home.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I just believe that choosing one is a deservice to the others you enjoy. For instance, I could easily say that Tolkien is my favorite author because I love tlotr books, but that would be a disservice to all the other authors I have enjoyed equally as much as Tolkien (like Orwell).

Concerning bands I can provide a selection, but if pressed to choose one I again feel it would be a disservice. Why one? What is the imperative need that makes it mandatory for just one?
What do you like from Orwell, his second-rate essays with dull prose (second-rate is still good, mind you) or his mostly mediocre novels save the one or two famous ones?

And yes I get it selecting just one is arbitrary, unless you have just one and then why the **** not.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What do you like from Orwell, his second-rate essays with dull prose (second-rate is still good, mind you) or his mostly mediocre novels save the one or two famous ones?

And yes I get it selecting just one is arbitrary, unless you have just one and then why the **** not.
His two famous Novels and his second rate essays actually.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
His two famous Novels and his second rate essays actually.
Passages like this from him are good but not great because they have no beauty or pathos, they are effectively written but not "well" written:
Whenever A and B are in opposition to one another, anyone who attacks or criticises A is accused of aiding and abetting B. And it is often true, objectively and on a short-term analysis, that he is making things easier for B. Therefore, say the supporters of A, shut up and don’t criticise: or at least criticise “constructively,” which in practice always means favourably. And from this it is only a short step to arguing that the suppression and distortion of known facts is the highest duty of a journalist.
His stature as a man of letters is massively overrated because of the fame of 1984, he is more important as a political commentator than as a literatteur. It was funny how he dismissed better writers like George Bernard Shaw and Ezra Pound for political reasons -- but befitting.

I could name numberous better essayists of the top of my head. In fact, let me: Joseph Addison, Richard Steele, Francis Bacon, William Hazlitt, Thomas de Quincey, Charles Lamb, Saint-Beuve, H.L. Mencken, James Baldwin, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Thomas Babington Macaulay, Matthew Arnold, Van Wyck Brooks, Robert Louis Stevenson, Montaigne, Thomas Carlyle, John Ruskin, George Bernard Shaw, James Huneker, Maurice Barrès, Jules Lemaître, Émile Faguet, Remy de Gourmont, Jorge Louis Borges and Virginia Woolf.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Passages like this from him are good but not great because they have no beauty or pathos, they are effectively written but not "well" written:

His stature as a man of letters is massively overrated because of the fame of 1984, he is more important as a political commentator than as a literatteur. It was funny how he dismissed better writers like George Bernard Shaw and Ezra Pound for political reasons -- but befitting.

I could name numberous better essayists of the top of my head. In fact, let me: Joseph Addison, Richard Steele, Francis Bacon, William Hazlitt, Thomas de Quincey, Charles Lamb, Saint-Beuve, H.L. Mencken, James Baldwin, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Thomas Babington Macaulay, Matthew Arnold, Van Wyck Brooks, Robert Louis Stevenson, Montaigne, Thomas Carlyle, John Ruskin, George Bernard Shaw, James Huneker, Maurice Barrès, Jules Lemaître, Émile Faguet, Remy de Gourmont, Jorge Louis Borges and Virginia Woolf.
Well, I usually read essays for efficiency, not beauty. I read fiction for beauty. While I agree that he may be rated higher than he deserves because of 1984, I still agree with his views on language and the use of it, as well as his essays.

Also, not ashamed to say that I haven't read an essay by over half of the people on that list.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
When it comes to rock, I don't do that screamo crap. However, Anything that can sound hard without screaming in every single line is good with me... A little bit of screaming is cool when it's appropriate though if I'm making any sense.

I actually like nu-metal. It's different. Linkin Park has gone extremely downhill since the beginning but their old albums sounded great.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Well, I usually read essays for efficiency, not beauty. I read fiction for beauty. While I agree that he may be rated higher than he deserves because of 1984, I still agree with his views on language and the use of it, as well as his essays.
Then you are massively underestimating the art of the essay, you ****ing scrub. Start here and learn. His views on language are simplified bull****, not even your other favorite Tolkien would agree with them given how he wrote. Politics and the English Language is a neat guideline when looking only for clarity but Orwell wish he had a prose-style as impressive as Carlyle (who he unfairly trashed btw) or Hazlitt.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Then you are massively underestimating the art of the essay, you ****ing scrub. Start here and learn. His views on language are simplified bull****, not even your other favorite Tolkien would agree with them given how he wrote. Politics and the English Language is a neat guideline when looking only for clarity but Orwell wish he had a prose-style as impressive as Carlyle (who he unfairly trashed btw) or Hazlitt.
I'm not underestimating it, I simply don't find it as enjoyable. I like his simplified language ideas because I share them mostly. Not entirely, but I do agree the notion of being brief, concise and straight to the point.

I actually like nu-metal. It's different. Linkin Park has gone extremely downhill since the beginning but their old albums sounded great.
Their first album is the only one I could call tolerable, but I won't. They just really have nothing to contribute to music as an art and have no accomplishments. I believe that Nu Metal is just metal for the unskilled.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
About the current topic though, I don't really pay attention to who makes what I listen to unless I really, really like their music. Only Muse comes to mind most of the time. They're really innovative. I don't realy find many bands that make music as different as they do. A lot of the times I don't even know what genre their songs go under lol. All I know is that I love it.

Edit: Just now, I saw something pretty amazing. Essentially, lightning jumped across the entire sky. It's happened a few times already and it scared the shiz outa me. Crazy. There aren't even any thunder clouds near by...

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Their first album is the only one I could call tolerable, but I won't. They just really have nothing to contribute to music as an art and have no accomplishments. I believe that Nu Metal is just metal for the unskilled.
Well I can definitely agree it's a very lazy form of metal... But it's good to have every once in a while. For instance, Papa Roach was mainly nu-metal for their first 2 albums but after that, they went on to a more straight rock and now they sound fantastic. There was a few songs that were more along the lines of nu-metal in their newer albums but they were good. It's just something different. It's already dying out though. Even Linkin Park can't effectively make it sound right anymore.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
You know, I've always been curious as to why some of you don't look over at the competitive impressions thread. The discussion took a real stupid turn, and I was powerless to stop the tidal wave of arguments over whether or not customs should be banned because 4 characters can't use them. I thought "if only the link mains were here they could've stood up against the force of ignorance." Not saying you should go over to the thread, but I'm just curious.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Go play custom Sheik, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, and Villager.

You will never want customs again.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
The idea of ragequitting has never occured to me. If I were to go to a custom tourney, I'd do my damdest to show that those characters can be wrecked. Which is why I don't want Customs to get banned.

Last edited:

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
The idea of ragequitting has never occured to me. If I were to go to a custom tourney, I'd do my damdest to show that those characters can be wrecked. Which is why I don't want Customs to get banned.
My issue with customs is the lack of skill required to do well in a tourney. I was talking to someone yesterday who said he always places well with custom kirby, but has rarely even gotten top 5 otherwise, because of how dumb customs kirby is.

If I ever have to go to a custom tournament, I'll use a character that I know has overpowered customs and proceed to show people how dumb customs are.

For instance - I killed someone in friendlies with a two hit combo that started at 1% - with custom Wario. You didn't know Wario had dumb customs, did you? Now you do. If you get hit by a single projectile when you're facing custom Pikachu, you're probably dead, because of how dumb Pikachu's infinite is. So it goes from - "Whoops, I got hit by a projectile, now i might have been comboed for 30%," to "Whoops, I got hit by a projectile at 20%. I'm dead now." Imo, anyone who wants customs to be legal, probably wants to with with some overpowered attack that wins for them.

Even Link has several customs that makes him win due to luck instead of skill. Like if you catch someone with a charged power bow, they die at 60%. If you get your opponent offstage and charge the power bow on the opposite side of the stage, you pretty much get a free kill because your opponent has to land eventually, and with meteor bombs, you can easily get your opponent offstage.

Go ahead, try to show that the characters can be wrecked without using customs, or even while using customs! I wish you great luck and succeeding to beat custom Shiek, or custom Pikachu, or custom Mii Brawler, or custom Kirby, or some other random custom build we haven't even heard of yet. Custom Villager and the kongbender might be easier to beat, since our grab reaches over his tripping sapling, and I believe that meteor bombs wreck wind DK, but aside from that, what are you going to do?

Vanilla Smash is more fun to play, anyway. At least it doesn't have characters that their only option is to play to time.

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
If you get hit by a single projectile when you're facing custom Pikachu, you're probably dead, because of how dumb Pikachu's infinite is. So it goes from - "Whoops, I got hit by a projectile, now i might have been comboed for 30%," to "Whoops, I got hit by a projectile at 20%. I'm dead now."
Then you get this look from ESAM your opponent.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why people actively defend a rule set that brings SSB4 back to Brawl's level of jankiness is beyond me. "Remember planking and easy 0-death tactics in Brawl? We can have those again in SSB4; doesn't that sound great?" :facepalm:
Videos like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX-7hCKpznw
remind me of people defending things in Brawl like IC's chain grab "Don't get grabbed" or MK's Shuttle loop. Sure they're beatable- that's the strawman that was never in question. Jank hurts the balance of the game, makes bad MUs more polarized, and causes the metagame to revolve around dealing with jank instead of fundamentals and skill.
/rant

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
That video is so painful. "your first step on this journey is to change your mindset." Then he proceeds to imply that Brawl Meta Knight wasn't broken, or enjoyable to play against with any character other than MK.

No.

With customs, the game is less balanced than the game is without customs. Vanilla Smash 4 is the most balanced Smash game made yet. Customs Smash 4 isn't.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You won't hate customs until you fight a 1332 Killager.
And it's not like Villager's planking is unbeatable. But he can get easy damage where the opponent is at a disadvantage at any ledge then he can run to the other side and do it again.
I was glad planking was nerfed from Brawl. Link was one of the characters who could overcome it but I still didn't like it. The rules shouldn't be changed to give the most balanced Smash Bros more jank.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
This is not **** from a "balanced" game that's for sure:

? grand finals, and the villager doesn't tech Gannon's side-b.
Please tell me that using customs well requires skill. I dare you.

In other news, Average Joe picked up DK just so he could show Seagull and other people how easy DK was to pick up and do well with. Really you should only watch this set for the commentary. It's glorious.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
? In other news, Average Joe picked up DK just so he could show Seagull and other people how easy DK was to pick up and do well with. Really you should only watch this set for the commentary. It's glorious.
You could turn this set into a drinking game, take a shot everytime DK uses Up B lol

Top Bottom