• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I find it very useful at close range when, say, predicting a role, cause you get a guaranteed Fair out of it. I use the boomerang quite a lot now, very happy to have it.
I've heard of boomerang comboing into fair, but I can never seem to pull it off. I need to chase more and try this out.

Last edited:

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have a a bad habit of throwing out the rang for no reason? I end up throwing the boomerang a lot during my matches and just realized that I was being punished too much for it. It has a dead hitbox right next to Link and if they shield it, I have a lot of lag from catching it. It does 5%, and I mean I'm considering not using it all against grounded fast characters because they get good punishes like a grab combo doing 20+% while mine only does 5%.
I wouldn't say throwing the gale is pointless. Depending on when/how you throw It. As far as direction goes. I can't even count how many times I've been saved from the infamous "Hoo Haa" besides countless other set ups due to the returning of the gale. Don't get me wrong tho. Just randomly throwing it out (especially) against fast characters like fox, sonic is not a good idea and you will get punished for it. I would recommend remaining mobile while tossing it out also timing its return, to use it to your advantage.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
This is absolutely amazing.
The only thing better is Isai's SSB64 Link. In a 12 character battle vs SuperBoomFan Isai just stopped using Link because he took out like three of SBF's characters. Almost won Apex in 2012 with Link if I remember correctly.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Finally found a way to dodge villiagers poket move. First throw some bombs so he will be forced or will at least be tempted to catch it. If he catches it then you can finally start throwing out all the items you want. Also my little brother wants to learn ness but he is autistic and does not no how to pk thunder himself i try to teach but he goes the wrong way or he misses completly. I need help goes i need more competions since my brother who plays a mean mario went to his dream collage. Someone please help.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I find it very useful at close range when, say, predicting a role, cause you get a guaranteed Fair out of it. I use the boomerang quite a lot now, very happy to have it.
I've always used the boomerang more than any other projectile. I find it helps me best when approaching.

Not to mention the boomerang F-air combo is outstanding. Doesn't always work but either way, boomerangs great. Stops rushing, sets up combos, keeps shield pressure. I essentially use it as Link's "do it all" tool. I probably should use bombs more than I do since everyone seems to swear by them but I usually pull those out after I lose the neutral.

I've been kind of wondering if they're gonna do anything to Link for the next patch... hopefully he won't see any nerfs.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Boomerang is great but bombs are awesome. The trick is using all 3 projectiles; together they are far greater than any single projectile alone.

I used to think Link had terrible frame data but after looking at this:
http://smashboards.com/threads/list...-initial-frame-to-slowest-frame-speed.388564/
Link falls somewhere in the middle (red=slow, blue=fast), which isn't too bad considering his reach.
Jab 7th out of 10 frame 7
Dash attack 14/15 frame 21
Ftilt 10/11 frame 15
Utilt 6/13 frame 8
Dtilt 10/11 frame 13
Fsmash 6/16 frame 15
Usmash 6/19 frame 10
Dsmash 6/17 frame 9
Nair 6/12 frame 7
Fair 10/12 frame 14
Bair 3/15 frame 6
Uair 9/13 frame 11
Dair 11/18 frame 14
Grab 6/9 frame 12
Dash Grab 7/8 frame 14
Pivot Grab 6/7 frame 15

Last edited:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Not to mention the boomerang F-air combo is outstanding. Doesn't always work but either way, boomerangs great. Stops rushing, sets up combos, keeps shield pressure. I essentially use it as Link's "do it all" tool. I probably should use bombs more than I do since everyone seems to swear by them but I usually pull those out after I lose the neutral.
Bombs are his best projectile imo, but honestly all three projectiles are great. I really like the angles you can take with the bow from partially charging it, and if can aim them precisely from any angle and while jumping you can really scare people and throw them off their game because they never feel safe. Bombs are just great, and I like them more now that I've gotten used to the 5 second timer and how much they bounce around and interfere with opponents. Boomerang is good too, especially since as a projectile it's out there the longest. If only it was Melee boomerang :awesome:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I used to think Link had terrible frame data but after looking at this:
http://smashboards.com/threads/list...-initial-frame-to-slowest-frame-speed.388564/
Link falls somewhere in the middle (red=slow, blue=fast), which isn't too bad considering his reach.
Only, there's more to having good frame data than fast initial hit frames. How long the hitbox is out for and how much lag (i.e. frames in which there is no-longer any hitbox out and you cannot do any action) the move has are equally if not more important.
And even then, you need good mobility, range and damage output for it to mean anything, and that's just the move itself ignoring the good hitbox angles, hitstun and knockback required for making the move any good at a particular purpose such as comboing or killing. The point is, lists like that shouldn't be used to judge a character or a character's moves as they are essentially worthless by themselves. Not that you thought differently of course; it's just that it had to be said as a sort of disclaimer.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Been having a blast playing FG on the Wii U. I'd forgotten that there are those select few that insult you while you're waiting for them to enter the room for another match. Time to have pre-entered insults to fire back at them.

FSK

Smash Ace
if I looked at those frame data correctly, Bowser has less startup on his moves than Link in general <.< ffs Sakurai

EDIT: Or atleast its very similar in general

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
For those of you who are Dr Who fans, you will be amused to know that as I type this, I am eating fish fingers with custard. It wasn't by choice, and I'm not doing it simply to 'do that thing'. I was finishing off an essay, it was late, I got hungry, and by chance this was the only food readily available. I only realised the significance of what I was about to do when I got it all out.

For those of you who are not Dr Who fans, please try your best to forget I said anything at all.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
For those of you who are Dr Who fans, you will be amused to know that as I type this, I am eating fish fingers with custard. It wasn't by choice, and I'm not doing it simply to 'do that thing'. I was finishing off an essay, it was late, I got hungry, and by chance this was the only food readily available. I only realised the significance of what I was about to do when I got it all out.

For those of you who are not Dr Who fans, please try your best to forget I said anything at all.
Fish fingers and custard is surprisingly good.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828

I'm so so sorry.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Been having a blast playing FG on the Wii U. I'd forgotten that there are those select few that insult you while you're waiting for them to enter the room for another match. Time to have pre-entered insults to fire back at them.
"SPAM2WIN"
"SPAM.QUEEN"
"SPAMMER"
"SPAM"
"SPAM.MORE"
--FG nubs
I just jab locked them to death after they put those tags on.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
"SPAM2WIN"
"SPAM.QUEEN"
"SPAMMER"
"SPAM"
"SPAM.MORE"
--FG nubs
I just jab locked them to death after they put those tags on.
I try and earn their respect afterwards. It worked the other day: I fought a Ganon with Link, beat him with bomb play, he changed his name to "GOODSPAM". I think, "This man is a Ganon, he has my respect, I don't want him to think this." I pick Ganon, win the ditto, he changes his tags to "GOODGAME" "SORRY" "YOUREGOOD". I was happy. That said, I also once opened a game with Ganondorf, destroyed someone, and then after it he changed his tag to "SPAMMER" -- with Ganondorf. Then he left. ?!

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I try and earn their respect afterwards. It worked the other day: I fought a Ganon with Link, beat him with bomb play, he changed his name to "GOODSPAM". I think, "This man is a Ganon, he has my respect, I don't want him to think this." I pick Ganon, win the ditto, he changes his tags to "GOODGAME" "SORRY" "YOUREGOOD". I was happy. That said, I also once opened a game with Ganondorf, destroyed someone, and then after it he changed his tag to "SPAMMER" -- with Ganondorf. Then he left. ?!
Earning the respect of mindless human beings seems like a waste of time.

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
I LOL so hard with this. Ganon a spammer?! Lol

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Boomerang is good too, especially since as a projectile it's out there the longest. If only it was Melee boomerang :awesome:
The patch will see to that...

Ha, yeah right.

And duh guys get with the program, Ganons more of a spammer than even Ness throwing PK Fire... Amateurs I swear.

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Balance patch tomorrow? Where does the time go...
I'll be jammin' out all day tomorrow figuring out what transpires for our Hero post_patch, so I look forward to updating the patch notes and begin dissecting the :4mewtwo: matchup as soon as I can.

Also, How's my new font color? Not too hard on the eyes in this lighting I hope.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
My taxes are done. Took six hours, but they're finally done (I think).
Now to practice for an upcoming local Sm4sh tourney. I'm kind of pleased, I asked the club president if we could have a Sm4sh main event if we had enough set ups, and he said yes.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
My taxes are done. Took six hours, but they're finally done (I think).
Now to practice for an upcoming local Sm4sh tourney. I'm kind of pleased, I asked the club president if we could have a Sm4sh main event if we had enough set ups, and he said yes.
Good thing I'm still in High School. :p

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
My last year of it is almost over.
I'm not looking forward to what happens next, but eh.
Freedom and stuff.
I've still got two years left. Still a 10th grader. I honestly don't really know what I'll do when I graduate lol. Maybe a few years of competitive smash with a decent job, then settle down and start a career when I'm older. It'd be something art or game design related; something along those lines I hope.

Edit: Can't forget college though lol.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
The SSB4 version 1.06 patch is out. I tested Link and he seems the same; jab cancel lock is still in as far as I can tell with a CPU set to jump. Link's moves seem untouched except his Hylian shield now blocks Fox and falco's lasers :chuckle: (and probably the other previously unblockable attacks).
Diddy, Sheik and Sonic got some minor nerfs. Maybe other high tiers too, idk.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Found a change:

Grounded Up-B Uncharged 12% 14%

Grounded Up-B Fully Charged 19% 22%
Darn, thanks for telling us.

Edit, I just tested grounded upB and it did 14%. Maybe you hit with the 2nd hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom