• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Found a really good Link in New York by the name of Shuzen after wading through the morass of lowlife FG heroes and had many a great match. Anyone know who this cat is? If so, bring him around, this place could use another skilled main.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Please no XD. While the Hylianfinite is by far my favourite suggestion thus far, the last thing we need is more misinformation about this tech leading people into thinking it is actually an infinite. Unless of course you want it patched out like the ZSS infinite. It's a harmless perk and I intend to keep it around.
Hmmmm, how about the Hylian Shuffle? Or Hylian Jugggle? Shufflian?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
N64 Link had the Illusion Stab whereas it was a move that allowed him to keep stabbing quickly until you stopped tapping A.

Illusion Slash is the return of Illusion Stab. Idk thought it was kind of fitting.
I had no idea that it was called illusion stab. But yeah, I'm definitely all for Illusion Slash now that I know it's a nod to 64 Link.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I honestly have no idea how to make the game freeze with a Jab.
hm, I wonder how it happens then.....

N64 Link had the Illusion Stab whereas it was a move that allowed him to keep stabbing quickly until you stopped tapping A.

Illusion Slash is the return of Illusion Stab. Idk thought it was kind of fitting.
Oh I knew that already that (plus you forgot Link and Young Link from Melee)

I just though I had heard illusion slash in a different game. and yes, the name is kind of fitting.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
My vote goes to "Illusion Jab" as a not to smash 64, though to be honest, Jab lock is fine for me. We don't need to call it something fancy and different when it's just a jab lock in essence.

We could call it Hylian Jab Lock though...

Breadloaf

Smash Apprentice
My vote goes to Ilussion Jab seeing as it is a nice nod to both 64 and melee link wich can both utilise it. As well as it being already a jab based combo the jab being the base of the technique and illusion being the execution of the technique sucesfully. I think its a perfect name for it.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
My problem with illusion jab is illusion stab was a SSB64 and Melee technique that happened when you mashed jab fast enough like Fox's kick. It was very different than this AT.
The only hitbox example I could find was for young Link but this applies to Link too.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Young_Link_(SSBM)/Hitboxes

I still think we should call it what it is: a jab cancel lock. It's essentially the same principle as Brawl Sheik's Ftilt lock and follows that naming pattern.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel though? Just call it a Jab lock and that's it since that is, quite literally, what it is. It's a Jab lock, period.

Breadloaf

Smash Apprentice
My problem with illusion jab is illusion stab was a SSB64 and Melee technique that happened when you mashed jab fast enough like Fox's kick. It was very different than this AT.
The only hitbox example I could find was for young Link but this applies to Link too.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Young_Link_(SSBM)/Hitboxes

I still think we should call it what it is: a jab cancel lock. It's essentially the same principle as Brawl Sheik's Ftilt lock and follows that naming pattern.
That's my point its a homage to that exact technique.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Brothers! The time is now! Cast open the gates of destruction, and take what is ours! @JmacAttack @ THE 6r THE 6r @ToonWaker @ HeavyLobster HeavyLobster These tight-wearing heroes actually think they stand a chance against the Gerudo king. One of them even went so far as to say Link has the MU advantage. Let us show them the mistake they have made, and have no mercy. We shall spare only @Naroghin, for he has been like a brother to us. Feel free to challenge any of the others, my kindred!! Let us wipe the floor with these green-clad fairies!! Let us show them our dark power! With this new, stronger form, we shall not stand by and let this hero defend Hyrule. We shall claim what belongs to the darkness! Now brothers, stand with me!!!!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Brothers! The time is now! Cast open the gates of destruction, and take what is ours! @JmacAttack @ THE 6r THE 6r @ToonWaker @ HeavyLobster HeavyLobster These tight-wearing heroes actually think they stand a chance against the Gerudo king. One of them even went so far as to say Link has the MU advantage. Let us show them the mistake they have made, and have no mercy. We shall spare only @Naroghin, for he has been like a brother to us. Feel free to challenge any of the others, my kindred!! Let us wipe the floor with these green-clad fairies!! Let us show them our dark power! With this new, stronger form, we shall not stand by and let this hero defend Hyrule. We shall claim what belongs to the darkness! Now brothers, stand with me!!!!
Wait, is this a challenge for online matches or are you summoning a raid?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Another raid...

Breadloaf

Smash Apprentice
Link does have the matchup advantage even on battlefield, im not saying Ganny cant win link just has better tools against the king of evil.
Also @Lozjam chime in on this matchup will ya.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
No sword technique will save you from the might of the King of Evil himself. All Hyrule shall tremble before the wrath of Ganon.

Rizen

Smash Legend
That's my point its a homage to that exact technique.
But it's not that technique; why call two different things the same thing? It also is inaccurate for SSB4 since other characters have rapid jab combos, which is what illusion stab was but the jab cancel lock isn't a rapid jab combo. Calling the new AT illusion stab would be like calling Sheik's rapid jab a jab lock.
Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel though? Just call it a Jab lock and that's it since that is, quite literally, what it is. It's a Jab lock, period.
No it's not. A jab lock in Brawl required use of the wobble animation set up by a non-teched landing followed by a weak attack, jab or arrow for Link, that caused the ground wobble again. It was DI-able to escape so Link had to step forward to continue it. It also caused a forced stand up from the ground.
Link can still do this in SSB4 but only a few times before the game ends the jab lock (unlike Brawl where you could walk across the stage).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2YjeF9DzE

The new AT is very different in execution and why it works than rapid jabs or jab locks. I just think we should have consistency in names. We don't call jump canceling bomb throws, bomb slides (done similarly to DACUS). Although similar, they're different ATs.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I don't fight Ganondorfs; I befriend them and team with them. He was my first main too: at my very first tournament, when I was just a little boy of 12, I played an entire pool with him. 'Twas amusing.

Still, if we must!

Warriors and chiefs! should the shaft or the sword
Pierce me in leading the host of the Lord,
Heed not the corse, though a king’s, in your path:
Bury your steel in the bosoms of Gath!

Thou who art bearing my buckler and bow,
Should the soldiers of Saul look away from the foe,
Stretch me that moment in blood at thy feet!
Mine be the doom which they dared not to meet.

Farewell to others, but never we part,
Heir to my royalty, son of my heart!
Bright is the diadem, boundless the sway,
Or kingly the death, which awaits us to-day!​

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Either way, I don't think they understand what they're getting themselves into.
Both, and we certainly know what we signed up for.
No sword technique will save you from the might of the King of Evil himself. All Hyrule shall tremble before the wrath of Ganon.
Brother! It is good to see you here on the field of battle. Show them no quarter!

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Fools, you think the followers of darkness are easily felled by a few sword swings? Ha think again.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I think "Linking" was mentioned a couple of pages ago. I think that one could work.
We're trying to not call it something related to wobbling.

We're not trying to reinvent the wheel, we're trying to give it's rims some bling.
With that being said, why don't we call it Hylian Stab? It's a nod to S64, it unique to Link, and whenever we say the name "Hylian", it'll torment @ Hylian Hylian for the remainder of his days.

hakaithesamurai

Smash Cadet
NNID
hakai009
3DS FC
3969-5099-6833
Either way, I don't think they understand what they're getting themselves into.
Oh please, all of the tight wearing Links are the same. We will wipe the floor with you all and make Hyrule bow down before our might.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom