• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link advice please

Chunkyturd007

Smash Rookie
tHrilla', the aerial hookshot should NEVER be used offensively unless you find youself in an airdodge that youll get smashed right out of. Sure it looks cool but think of the landing lag. In tourny levels that kind of delay will get you butt kicked. No knockback, hardly any damage but VERY useful for recoveries and nothing else. Sorry Aesir, my post does sound like yours but you beat me to the topic :p.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
tHrilla', the aerial hookshot should NEVER be used offensively unless you find youself in an airdodge that youll get smashed right out of.
you guys can't read very well. from what i've been posting, where did you get the idea that i ever suggested using it for offense? i've even said that it should never be used for offense in other threads. the example you gave on when to use it is exactly what i've been saying:

...his aerial hookshot is just an added bonus when he air-dodges to avoid an attack.

...you should only air-dodge when necessary, and from there decide if the hook-shot will add to your security.

...i use it in the rare occurrence of having to air-dodge an attack.

See, I never said that. But you're making it sound like it's a great move. it isn't. Shut up, you don't know anything. Shh...petty link turd. Go to a tournament..
you go off assumption and your logic is flawed. shh nubby

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
No matter how useless a move may seem, it still has its uses. If you are going to just brag and/or complain about anything, please do not post.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
Translation: People who know what they're talking about vs. you. You lose. GG. Oh well, you're probably right anyway, what with your experience and all.
shh...nub. your knowledge--if i can even call it that--on how to use link is seriously lacking. did you happen to notice the situation aniki was in when he used it successfully? well guess what...those are the same type of situations when i use it...successfully. also, you're young and naive. you assume that one's join date equals one's experience. if you want to know my experience, just ask. and there is no "probably" about it; i "am" right. this is the last time im going to say this: shh...nub.

He knows what he's talking about, its a ****ty move.
as far as i've seen, he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to link. needless to say, it's only a ****ty move when not used properly; which seems to be the case for you two. furthermore, names like ss4ricky; the germ; kenshin; garde; kubuu; x japan; and lord hdl--just to name a few--have posted arguments supporting the same thing i'm debating with you two right now. you're never going to grow as a player if you continue to think inside the box.

sorry lime. im done now.

Aesir

Smash Master
shh...nub. your knowledge--if i can even call it that--on how to use link is seriously lacking. did you happen to notice the situation aniki was in when he used it successfully? well guess what...those are the same type of situations when i use it...successfully. also, you're young and naive. you assume that one's join date equals one's experience. if you want to know my experience, just ask. and there is no "probably" about it; i "am" right. this is the last time im going to say this: shh...nub.
how many times as aniki used it successfully as an attack? that was the only time, also that match is older then old. Ken was most-likely sandbagging that match too since during the actual tourney he beat him. also how is he assuming your join date means anything your grasping at straws now. stop. its a bad move, it always will be a bad move. all your opponite has to do after getting hit is grab you. thats it, its not very hard since the stun and knock back arn't to great.

as far as i've seen, he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to link. needless to say, it's only a ****ty move when not used properly; which seems to be the case for you two. furthermore, names like ss4ricky; the germ; kenshin; garde; kubuu; x japan; and lord hdl--just to name a few--have posted arguments supporting the same thing i'm debating with you two right now. you're never going to grow as a player if you continue to think inside the box.
Where have they supported this? I'd like to see it, I know HDL supports it but seriously its HDL who cares? his links impressive yes, but he plays with people who aren't exactly good that good at in the game.

since when does 'thinking out of the box' count as growing as a player? People who think they randomly use a ****ty move and it lands and think its a mind game never grow as players.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
listen, i'm not suggesting you should use it as an attack. it's useless as an attack. use it for defense only, as a last resort to protect yourself. consider some of the following quotes:

ALL of my opponents have been caught of guard by me using my hookshot to stop them in their tracks as they are about to pull out some move that certainly would have sent me to my doom...I mean, I'll never give up KO'ing someone to use the attack, but there are certain times where I've found myself with no other alternative and smacking that opponent back with that hookshot saved me a stock. It's one of those things that you see in action, and then you're like "Oh, I see now", at least thats how I see it.
Now using it to gaurd yourself from certain situations is not a waste. I used it to save my *** more than once and I thanked god I could do that....

I think I said in my guide to use it as an attack. If I did, I meant that you can attack the opponent with it when you'd be attacked and screwed otherwise.
i'm done arguing this with you.

Deva

Smash Lord
listen, i'm not suggesting you should use it as an attack. it's useless as an attack. use it for defense only, as a last resort to protect yourself. consider some of the following quotes:
Sorry, but that's what he's been saying all along. Aesir, what were you trying to get at. He said numerous times that it was only used for defensive purposes, though you replied saying it was a ****** move. Now you agree with him?

edit: sorry to continue this, I was just curious as to why you criticize his point and then agree with it like that was your point all along. IMO, Link's aerial hookshot has it's uses. On occasion it has saved me from death when I air dodged an attack. I don't try to use it for offense, though I use it when the time calls. It's fun to use on n00bs, though you'd be crazy to use it offensively in a tourney.

Aesir

Smash Master
In the beginning of this thread it didn't seem like that at all and it appeared he was over hyping it. Hence why the argument started in the first place.

imo its a crappy move and really shouldn't be used at all unless you mess up an airdodge and are about to eat a really painful attack. Aside from that their are other options.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
HEY, I'm back! Sorry about my lack of existence, I kind of took a smash break. I see the Hook-shot argument took a couple of days to die down even after my request, but watever.
I am also sorry I *lied* to you about the new vids. If I remember correctly, I made one before my game fell off a cliff and I decided to take a so called *vacation*. The reason there are no new vids is my friends converter quit working. I can not guarantee any new vids will become available any time soon. Again, I am sorry.

p.s. The reason I hyped the HS was because I had never seen it done before. You could have given me credit for being somewhat original, but instead you argued how much of a useless attack it was.

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone else notice in the first video vs. Falco that Falco seemed to have an extra life in the end? That was a 4 stock match but he died 4 times and had no stock left yet the game wasn't over? But Link only had 4 deaths and it was over...hmm maybe it's just me. Your Link is good, you Up+B a little too much but you had some nice spikes with it. You should definately short hop more I don't think I saw a single one. Shot hop nair or fair are useful.

Edited: Oh never mind that Falco last stock was cut off the screen.
Oh... I notice that too. But now I see your edit... so yea >.>

Link226

Smash Ace
Hehe i have been using the hookshot defensively as well. But i usually use it when my opponent is too far for me to reach, so i air-dodge towards them and use it. Its not bad or that risky, well unless you dont fastfall it. Which sometimes happens to me, but im getting better at it, its a decent edgeguard as well. Especially when they try to air-dodge on the stage. But i never do it in serious matches, only in friendlies. But if i get better at it i will start incorporating it into my game.

To critique your new vid Lim3.

It seems like you got way better. But you need to practice your L-cancel a lil more. You seem to miss it alot. Your spamming is above good, kudos on that. But i recommend when you use your Rang dont jump forward, i stopped doing this because i usually got hit before i threw it. Which seems to happen to you alot as well.

You need to use your Nair way more, its has a lot of priority and if L-cancel has lil lag. You should use it offensively, but when characters are abusing shffl's on you its always good to do it out the block.

You use your arrows a lil to much which led to your suicide, arrows should only be used when you and your opponent are really far from each other. Shooting regular B arrows can work here and there. Your edgeguard is not good at all. You need to know that throwing your projectiles isnt your only option, you should really jump off and Nair the opponent when they are trying to come back, its probably the best thing to do. Sometimes you will forget to do it, but just remember to and it can work wonders.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
At the beginning you used arrows way too much. I almost never use arrows.

There were many times when your opponent was right next to you and you did a stranding boomerang throw. The start up lag for the boomerang throw is pretty big. You opponent has so much time to grab you or hit you to stop the throw completely. I would SH backwards and throw it forward, then Waveland forward and start a combo.

Work on your edgeguarding. Once falco tried to get back with firefox or w/e it's called and you tried to spin attack, and it was way too early, too. If you want to get the spin spike, learn timing better, or just nair them and edgehog.

I have to say, though, that combo at 1:35 was awesome.

Is it just me, or did Falco have 5 stocks? Once all of his stocks on the screen went away he still lived on....>_<

Well, on his last stock, he ***** you. Dunno what happened. You started bad, then started getting good, then got ***** at the end. Not too bad, but you need to work on a few things.

Joner

Smash Cadet
In your latest video, you played quite nice, but I do say you overused the arrows.
Probably better than me, at least... Not that I am that good, I have noone to play against.

Deva

Smash Lord
lol at 1:33, you grabbed that Samus before the charge shot could come out.

Yeah, you've gotten much better. Just work on being a little quicker so you look less choppy, such as jabing right away after a shffl instead of a pause. the samus used a d-tilt because of the lag at one point.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Well, I must say, (And I don't say this about everyone) that Mario has a lot of skill, he really knows how to work a combo. Furthermore, you Link is fairly well built. You should use the spin attack more frequently though, for a couple of reasons,
-It can hit your opponent even when he rolls around you
-The tip of the attack spikes
-Fairly decent amount of damage is dealt normally.
Your use of the wavedash could use a little work, mainly on the basisi of using it to link combos together with the bombs and projectiles, I also noticed one thing, you tried to grab a fair amount of times. See, the problem with Link's grab, is when used on a low-damage opponent, is utterly useless most of the time. Try to stary from grapping him frequently, he seems to have the wavedash down really well. You're very familiar with how to use the bombs, but in the future, always short hop and draw a bomb. It shortens the lag down by 1.5 seconds (That might not seem like a difference at all, but when you're in the middle of conflict, especially with a fast opponent, it can make a huge difference).

If you are in need of any more help or advice dealing with playing Link, I'm always floating around these Link boards.
~Lightshade

Deva

Smash Lord
Well, I must say, (And I don't say this about everyone) that Mario has a lot of skill, he really knows how to work a combo. Furthermore, you Link is fairly well built. You should use the spin attack more frequently though, for a couple of reasons,
-It can hit your opponent even when he rolls around you
-The tip of the attack spikes
-Fairly decent amount of damage is dealt normally.
Also, if your opponent shields it, you're screwed, you forgot to mention that. You should have said the use of the spin attack is very situational. From the way you said it, I would recomend not listening to this advice. The only time you should use the spin attack is when your opponent is at high percents and you shield a dash attack. Up-b out of the shield. Aside from that, never randomly throw out the spin attack unless your opponent is rolling behind you like light shade said. The spin attack should primarily be used as a combo finisher on fast fallers, sometimes on characters with normal falling rates. On Fox for example, at about 50%, nair, grab, u-throw, d-smash, dash attack, spin attack. Almost a guaranteed KO.

Your use of the wavedash could use a little work, mainly on the basisi of using it to link combos together with the bombs and projectiles, I also noticed one thing, you tried to grab a fair amount of times. See, the problem with Link's grab, is when used on a low-damage opponent, is utterly useless most of the time.
That depends on the character your grabbing. u-throw to u-tilt or jab reset or d-smash works well on fast fallers at low percents. d-throw to u-tilt or bair to u-tilt is almost guaranteed on floaties. The only characters Link would have trouble comboing at low percents with the grab are medium rate fallers. Even then, you heard of tech chasing? Please, don't give advise that will make a player trying to learn worse than they are.

Try to stary from grapping him frequently, he seems to have the wavedash down really well. You're very familiar with how to use the bombs, but in the future, always short hop and draw a bomb. It shortens the lag down by 1.5 seconds (That might not seem like a difference at all, but when you're in the middle of conflict, especially with a fast opponent, it can make a huge difference).
OMG, your kidding right? Yes, it is usually better to short hop while drawing the bomb, but not for the reason you stated. You should short hop it because it keeps you in movement while taking out a projectile. It keeps your opponent from attacking while you take out a bomb. You say it reduces the lag by 1.5 seconds..........?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
You could charge the bow in that much time lol. Not a big difference? I'm sorry sir, but you just stated that the short hop bomb pull reduces the lag of pulling the bomb below zero. That would make Link top tier. You could throw bombs with no lag between the pull.

If you are in need of any more help or advice dealing with playing Link, I'm always floating around these Link boards.
~Lightshade
What? NO. Please, don't go around giving advise that will make a player worse.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Also, if your opponent shields it, you're screwed, you forgot to mention that. You should have said the use of the spin attack is very situational. From the way you said it, I would recomend not listening to this advice. The only time you should use the spin attack is when your opponent is at high percents and you shield a dash attack. Up-b out of the shield. Aside from that, never randomly throw out the spin attack unless your opponent is rolling behind you like light shade said. The spin attack should primarily be used as a combo finisher on fast fallers, sometimes on characters with normal falling rates. On Fox for example, at about 50%, nair, grab, u-throw, d-smash, dash attack, spin attack. Almost a guaranteed KO.
I realize that, I was just applying it to how he plays, we all don't play the same you know.

That depends on the character your grabbing. u-throw to u-tilt or jab reset or d-smash works well on fast fallers at low percents. d-throw to u-tilt or bair to u-tilt is almost guaranteed on floaties. The only characters Link would have trouble comboing at low percents with the grab are medium rate fallers. Even then, you heard of tech chasing? Please, don't give advise that will make a player trying to learn worse than they are.
If you didn't notice, he tried to grab randomly, if you even watched the video.

OMG, your kidding right? Yes, it is usually better to short hop while drawing the bomb, but not for the reason you stated. You should short hop it because it keeps you in movement while taking out a projectile. It keeps your opponent from attacking while you take out a bomb. You say it reduces the lag by 1.5 seconds..........?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Microseconds, you dolt.

What? NO. Please, don't go around giving advise that will make a player worse.
Yes, because your advice is better on the better advice scale. The tips I gave can help anyone, so shut your mouth.

Deva

Smash Lord
I realize that, I was just applying it to how he plays, we all don't play the same you know.
I realize that too, yet that's not what you said. You just said use it more and gave a few poor examples as why to use it. You never said it was a risky move or that using it can lead to your own death. That's bad advise. Just be more careful about what you post.

If you didn't notice, he tried to grab randomly, if you even watched the video.
Actually I did watch the video, and my post wasn't regarding that but what you said. You said grabbing with Link at low percents was useless. I was just explaining how to combo with grabs at low percents. Nothing more. You obviously didn't know how so I hope it helped.

Microseconds, you dolt.
Oh wow, my bad. I'm sure everyone else was able to deduce you were referring to micro seconds, especially the n00bs who are looking for advice and take everything you write literally even though you didn't mention it in your post....please...:urg: Again, just be more careful about what you post.

Yes, because your advice is better on the better advice scale. The tips I gave can help anyone, so shut your mouth.
No, they will make people play worse. Any knowledgeable Link player will tell you that up-b more is a bad tip without the proper situational listings. They will tell you innacurate bomb pull times are bad advise. They will also tell you NEVER to grab at low percents is bad advise.

Now, before this gets out of hand, I'm going to stop. I actually did this to your post to give you some advise. From the way you post, you reminded me a lot of myself when I first started. i know all your trying to do is give helpful advise to other players who are'nt as good as you. I'm just saying be careful about what you post. I'm cool with this so I'll stop, but if a knowledgeable Link veteran like NJ'sFinest started pointing out your flaws instead of me, he would rip you to shreds. I didn't wan't to be a jerk and pull the "you've never been to a major tourney so you don't know what you're talking about" card, but if it came down to it, that's what any knowledgeable player would do and then what. What could you possibly say to back your own credibility. Please understand, I wasn't trying to be offensive. I was just trying to explain that you should do some research and really know what you're talking about before giving advise or people will point out your flaws. If you feel like arguing some more that's fine, just note that I didn't start this for an argument but for a leson so you become a better player. I don't get any pleasure from making people feel bad. I was only trying to help you. If you want we can discuss this more in a PM. It wold probably be best to avoid taking this any further on the boards

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Yea, you're right. I think it is a good idea to stop before this gets out of hand.
By the way, thanks for refining what I said. :) (I haven't used smilies a lot)

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
OK, first wow. Um, thanks for the advice. The reason I don't use the Spin Attack like crazy is 1) it has led to my death many times and 2) It makes me look like I dont know what I am doing if I just stand and spam. Plus ealier on in the thread I watched one of my first vids, where there WAS a lot of Spin Spam, and it hurt my eyes.

Also, I have learned something on my own, I am not sure if it is in one of the recent vids, but notice where a bomb goes when I fast fall, land+throw. Depending on how "close" (it actually looks like how far I am in the ground) I am to the ground, the angle of the bomb arch differs. The bomb will be Higher (like if I short hoped and threw it) or will go a lesser distance than if I just tossed it.

Deva

Smash Lord
Heh, the spin hog really is Link's fastest way of grabbing the ledge. Link players should do it more often.

Skler

Smash Master
If you miss you die though, they can get on the edge before you and you just fall down. I only do it if I'm too lazy to turn around, never in the close calls where it can cause an SD or a kill.

Aesir

Smash Master
**** that ****, when I'm playing against a fox or sheik I'll ****ing do that **** all the time, wanna know why? it shows them I mean ****ing bussiness if I have the balls to spin attack to the ledge and grab it then he starts thinking "OH **** HE CAN **** ME UP!"

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
My friends and I recorded some more vids today, so more recent ones should be up within a week. Unfortunately my game hasnt got any better since the last vids. I still need all of your advice to sink in (and thanks for the five pages worth).

Deva

Smash Lord
**** that ****, when I'm playing against a fox or sheik I'll ****ing do that **** all the time, wanna know why? it shows them I mean ****ing bussiness if I have the balls to spin attack to the ledge and grab it then he starts thinking "OH **** HE CAN **** ME UP!"
Exactly, nuff said.

Plus, SKLER, you won't miss if you DI towards the edge. It's tech skill. It shouldn't be used if the player can't do it. However with practice, it shouldn't be a problem.

Skler

Smash Master
I mean miss like they grab on before you and you die. You don't just spin and grab on instantly, there's time there that they can get on there and make you SD. If it's used when you have no time theres a good chance of pulling off a SD.

Deva

Smash Lord
lol, that's why you do it before they get to the edge. It's faster than turning around and wavedashing off to an edge hog. If you think they'll get it before you, don't do it.

Top Bottom