• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link advice please

Skler

Smash Master
The reason I'm spinhogging is because I don't have any time to turn around and grab the edge before they would get there. If I don't have time for that then the race to the edge is a very close one. I don't like risking stocks for a fancy edgehog so I stick to the nair or ftilt if I have a doubt about my spinhog getting edgehogged.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
Just saw that mario v Link vid. That's one good mario. You both seem to be very fluent wavedashers. I know how hard it is for a link player to improve once he reaches a ceartain point, since there isn't always a lot of room for such.

Your only main issue, from what I see, is that you should probably spend less time on the ground. It's good to see use of all of Links good, important moves. Just try to spend a little less time standing, and maybe a little more time shorthopping.

Also, I see you don't know how to ledge hop. It will save your life in tournaments many times, believe me. Ledge hopping is simply dropping off a ledge and double jumping back up with an air attack, preferably the F-air or swordplant.
You'll also need to learn to edgegaurd. It's really as simple as jumping off with a N-air kick and double jumping and upB ing back usually.
Another thing you should learn is, as they said, edgehogging.

Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
You seem to be headed in the right direction in your gaming. You have a good balance of offensive and defensive attacks. You don't seem to leave yourself open when you have a good 2 or 3 seconds to set up. After the initial attack however is where you get sloppy. You need to speed up your game in the way you think. Most of it should be instinctive. All and all your Link isn't that bad off. Its not flashy or showy. The matches seemed like matches. Most vids that people post up are from them and their friends (this is probably the same with you) but there is one distinctive factor in your vids. It seemed yall were on equal footing and both were growing in the match. Which is good. You don't want to get confused or mis-interpret a match where the 2 players have played each other and have basically gone as far as they are going to go without taking it seriously.

Just basically keep playing like its all on the line.

Secondly I saw somewhere it was mentioned about hook shotting being useless. Using it to attack is in my opinion a waste of an attack. Has always been that way. However like someone already quoted I do however do approve and believe in its use to guard you from an up coming attack while your trying to dodge in the air.

If you air dodge from a persons attack, you might as well hook shot them if you think they are going to attack you. Its almost 100% chance they will go for you if you air dodge, so its almost guaranteed that the hook shot will hit and buy you some time.

Just get all the timing and spacing down for Link. Also realize that your item game falls into a disadvantage against faster characters and in high level tournaments. Be sure that you can pick up the slack with your meelee ability. You seem to be 50/50 on the meelee and projectile scheme. So again keep doing what yall are doing. Man its late and I haven't posted in a couple of months.....dun dun dun. After I get some rest I'll go ahead and go into a little detail about everything and maybe make a thread on some peoples opinions.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
First of all, good job. You have some nice SHFFLs and you are very fluent with Link as a charachter.

Your combos flow into eachother pretty well, and I see you using quite a bit of bombs. They are, of course a good thing and are good to spam around with, but they are not a good Idea when your opponents is close enough to hit you before you finish getting the bomb out, so try to take your bombs out while hopping.

You seem to play very heavily on the offence, and minimally on the defence as well, (I sometimes am too defensive) So try to raise your gaurd a bit by Shielding more, keeping a distance, and watch for their attacks.

I don't remember how much you L canceled, but I remember from the last vid that you should spend some time practicing that.

Also, Try To Swordplant more. You seemed to have trouble killing mario, and he hit 150+% most of the time (I think?) And it is a really effective attack against most anyone around those damages.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Thanks guys, I am stil trying to advance my game. Like Skylink said, I have had some trouble advancing my game. As for my L-canceling game, sometimes my fingers do not react the way I want them to, or when I try to put too many commands into the controller at once everything happens late ( like a jump for example). Up-Bing out of a shield has been mentioned to me before, now seems the best time for me to learn it because Monk (the Mario in the vids) pretty much can guess when I try to grab, or do anything else. As Kenshin said the vids are of me and my friends, so we do face each other often. Your advice is great and again I thank you guys for all of your input. I realize that I still have some work to do, and I hope you guys are there to help me get through it all. Thanks again.

Oh and some good news, here's a new vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6wcQIE-VN7k

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I may be wrong, but it seems like you used the bow a little too much, and mabye the recovery area could use some work. Mabye pulling out a bomb while trying to get back isn't the best idea. There was a few times I think you could have made it back with the hookshot, which bombs keep you from doing...

That is all I can say because everything else is way better than what I can do...

Mr.Red

Smash Apprentice
I may be wrong, but it seems like you used the bow a little too much, and mabye the recovery area could use some work. Mabye pulling out a bomb while trying to get back isn't the best idea. There was a few times I think you could have made it back with the hookshot, which bombs keep you from doing...
I didn't watch the video because I'm at school right now (can't go on youtube >=[) but I do know from past expirience that, when being smashed really far out, it is real useful to preform a mid-air dodge then hookshot onto the ledge.

it takles some practice, but if you can get use to it, it should come in handy alot. it's also probably less risky then the bomb recovery tecniques (I can't say for sure as I'm still practicing them, I just can't get the hang of pulling out a bomb out in time)

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I didn't watch the video because I'm at school right now (can't go on youtube >=[) but I do know from past expirience that, when being smashed really far out, it is real useful to preform a mid-air dodge then hookshot onto the ledge.

it takles some practice, but if you can get use to it, it should come in handy alot. it's also probably less risky then the bomb recovery tecniques (I can't say for sure as I'm still practicing them, I just can't get the hang of pulling out a bomb out in time)
Well I know he can do it. It is just to me it look like he went right for the bomb jump a few times instead of the hookshot when the hookshot would have worked...

Top Bottom