• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Lol. Me. It's how I felt about Mega Man when I first picked him up. I was like... What do I do with these lemons? Then I realized that lemon walls work ridiculously well.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Locke your post about items is all too true! As a diddy main from brawl, transitioning into this game with megaman has been a breeze. I seriously suggest every one of us get adept at playing with items. Instant Item Throw as well as glide tossing has proved to help my megaman out tremendously!

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Here's a 0-death. Metal Blade didn't feel like disappearing on me. :D
Subliminal inputs :p
Just me getting lucky enough that the 0-death worked. Had to do t in 1/4 speed because it has inhuman timing kinda. Beginning is not too terribly difficult to do and footstools are pretty easy to land, but the semi-infinite part:
buffered pivot > Short hop > Fast fall > Zdrop (dropping/tossing items doesn't cancel fast fall)> buffered short hop > Zcatch > Footstool > Buffered Zdrop
at (0:26, or press 5) A few reps of this does a lot of damage, but it's increbilbly hard. espe ially with the new buffering system.
But to 0-death you have to do that 5-6 times. Just go for the lemon lock to u-tilt if you every decide to Leafstool > Zdrop > Footstool > lemon lock (which can be humanly done consistent with practice)

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Well, it's in Smash 4. :p

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I am pretty sure it is impossible on those stages. I'd love to be proved wrong, though!

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure it is impossible on those stages. I'd love to be proved wrong, though!
Only battlefield is it pretty inconsistent. The rest are pretty easy to do like FD and flat wall omegas. and platform stages like defino and prism tower it's impossible for obvious reasons. you simply:
  • Tilt away, This does a ledge drop, buffers a walljump, and keeps you from drifting to far
  • immediately (within 9 frames) Smash towards the stage to drift to the edge adn the Buffered walljump kicks in
(place holder for a quick vid, showcasing it on battlefield, the hardest place, FD and 2 another similar shaped, 2 flat wall omegas and one Platform stage to show it's impossible for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Ooo! I did it on FD. But, I can't get it to work on Battlefield for the life of me.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Ooo! I did it on FD. But, I can't get it to work on Battlefield for the life of me.
err 3ds battlefield. wii u battlefield is impossible probably should have mentioned that. sorry.

Also if you set c-stick to attack (or special) you can easily do this be holding an attack (or special) buttons since C-stick becomes a macro, inputs tilt and attack, and you can make attack input null by holding attack button.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Megaman's best frame option is Bair. Cross-up lemons on shield > Bair actually is very effective.
Bair is fast and multi hit so it can catch them if they drop their shield at the wrong time and its pretty safe since you are retreating at the same time and Bair has a nice disjoint. if they don't have very good OoS options, it's pretty good.

I've been experimenting with the effectiveness of lemons on shield > uair, but it's not too good. Lemons already have quite a bit of ending lag + startup of Uair leaves a pretty big opening, and the effective range of Uair is very close so it's easy to punish. But if you land an uair it does so much damage. And an uair on shield > grab is a good frame trap for tall characters.

(edit) We shouldn't be approaching with lemons if they hit shield, http://smashboards.com/threads/shields-in-smash-4.381183/

We have better frame advantage if we don't attack shield than if we do even without accounting for the lag of our attacks.

Meh, but crossing up shields with a hitbox out is always pretty good.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
'Sup, mega fans? Found something tiny for my favorite newcomer.

Set the C-Stick to tilts for starters. We'll need to perform neutral As while moving. (Press a diagonal to do a neutral A imput whenever you want.)

Walk forward, use the C-Stick to do a jab, not Ftilt, then click the C-Stick a moment later to dash. Not sure if this brings anything significant to the table, but it might be useful for baiting a shield with a lemon then dash grabbing them. Might even effect other techs too, haven't really messed around with it.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

Zori

Smash Champion
Lol. Me. It's how I felt about Mega Man when I first picked him up. I was like... What do I do with these lemons? Then I realized that lemon walls work ridiculously well.
Type it in a post again so I can quote it :]

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Introducing, the running Shoryuken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQoxMARFMk (halfway through the video he switches from Villager to Mega Man)

Original thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/skid...-pm-crouch-canceled-runs-video-inside.368971/

Running skidding utilt. I'm going to go practice this a ton, because this will basically be replacing my dash attack punishes. This. Is. Awesome.
Dude, this is my punishment of choice any time anybody lands on stage with an up b, or does a super laggy aerial (Bowser dair). You can also do dsmash out of it if you have the time, and it's slightly stronger.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Dude, this is my punishment of choice any time anybody lands on stage with an up b, or does a super laggy aerial (Bowser dair). You can also do dsmash out of it if you have the time, and it's slightly stronger.
I usually walk to utilt when people land on the stage with an up b. Didn't know you could run and basically do the same. I'm excited.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
'Sup, mega fans? Found something tiny for my favorite newcomer.

Set the C-Stick to tilts for starters. We'll need to perform neutral As while moving. (Press a diagonal to do a neutral A imput whenever you want.)

Walk forward, use the C-Stick to do a jab, not Ftilt, then click the C-Stick a moment later to dash. Not sure if this brings anything significant to the table, but it might be useful for baiting a shield with a lemon then dash grabbing them. Might even effect other techs too, haven't really messed around with it.
No need to change C-stick to attack. You can cancel F-tilt into jab and it's more efficient and easier to do than a diagonal input on c-stick.
To cancel F-tilt into a Jab you simply return the movement stick to nuetral just before the F-tilt hitbox comes out.
they are 2 methods:
  1. Actually return the stick to neutral, this makes it hard to keep your momentum
  2. Kill the movement stick with C-stick, when C-stick is set to smash it kills your movement stick. This method allows you to Hold the movement stick forward whilst getting the Jab hitbox, thus maximizing the distance you cover.
This allows for Jab > Jab > Jab (9%) to connect vs Ftilt > Ftilt > Ftilt (6%) and it drags the opponent further across the stage giving more stage control to you.

and allows for a fully optimized Lemon combo Jab > Jab > nair (10%)

Heres a quick vid
Luigi has very little traction and is the most extreme example. Even though the knockback is significantly higher for the Jab hitbox and Luigi slides teh furthest, Jab > Jab > Jab still fully connected.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQoxMARFMk (halfway through the video he switches from Villager to Mega Man)

Original thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/skid...-pm-crouch-canceled-runs-video-inside.368971/

Running skidding utilt. I'm going to go practice this a ton, because this will basically be replacing my dash attack punishes. This. Is. Awesome.
Yeah megaman's skid is so short. this is definitely practical. I wonder what frame data says about how good the Skid frames are compared to Shield drop (18 frames, 11 frames stuck in shield+ 7 frames dropping shield)
or usmash

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeah megaman's skid is so short. this is definitely practical. I wonder what frame data says about how good the Skid frames are compared to Shield drop (18 frames, 11 frames stuck in shield+ 7 frames dropping shield)
or usmash
This shield talk is getting blown out of proportion the past few days. The 11 frames "in shield" is if you shield without the shield getting hit. If your shield gets hit, nothing is different between Smash 4 and Brawl.

Shield DROP is unchanged. Shields are just slightly more of a commitment than they used to be, but any actions you would do after blocking or instead of shield dropping are unchanged.

Usmash is one of our fastest OOS moves due to ignoring shield drop and ignoring the time it takes to get airborne for an aerial. However, I live by my shield drop utilt.

Type it in a post again so I can quote it :]
When life gives you lemons, make a wall.

There you go. XD

The7DSins

Smash Rookie
As a random note, an easy way to set up auto cancled Dairs is to FH > Fair/Bair/MB(DF of course)> DJ > Dair. The Dair will hit shielded opponents, so this string is decent shield pressure. If MB is used, both moves hit shield, making this more usefull for shield poking/shield break. The timing for Bair is more strict, but more rewarding.

Another useful application of this technique is an optional set up after down throw.
DThrow > RAR FH Bair > DJ Dair
This is used if youre noticing your opponent is just DI'ing your throw combos away every time. Much more risky than the above setup, but reading your opponents mind and hitting wth Hard Knuckle without lag is so satisfying.

Feel free to abuse FH MB into dair . Try to land behind them if you can. I have no capture card, so mess with it if youd like.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
This shield talk is getting blown out of proportion the past few days. The 11 frames "in shield" is if you shield without the shield getting hit. If your shield gets hit, nothing is different between Smash 4 and Brawl.

Shield DROP is unchanged. Shields are just slightly more of a commitment than they used to be, but any actions you would do after blocking or instead of shield dropping are unchanged.

Usmash is one of our fastest OOS moves due to ignoring shield drop and ignoring the time it takes to get airborne for an aerial. However, I live by my shield drop utilt.
Good points though i feel that OoS Usmash doesn't have enough horizontal range to be considered our go to, OoS Bair and Fair are pretty good where Usmash can't reach. Also i think that Bair can come out a frame (or 2) faster than Usmash for comparison.
though its relevance in accordance to my post is questionable since I was just wondering if
Run > Skid > U-tilt is actually faster than Run > shield > U-tilt. and then how that compares to simply Run > Usmash
And i was not mentioning the appliance of OoS Utilt, regarding the new shield mechanics, and yes i do understand the part where how long you are stuck in shield is unchanged if your shield is hit, but the longer in shield does matter if you are simply canceling your run so you you may access your tilts at which i was actually referring to.

Last edited:

The7DSins

Smash Rookie
Good points though i feel that OoS Usmash doesn't have enough horizontal range to be considered our go to, OoS Bair and Fair are pretty good where Usmash can't reach. Also i think that Bair can come out a frame (or 2) faster than Usmash for comparison.
though its relevance in accordance to my post is questionable since I was just wondering if
Run > Skid > U-tilt is actually faster than Run > shield > U-tilt. and then how that compares to simply Run > (JC) Usmash
And i was not mentioning the appliance of OoS Utilt
Since U-tilt has much better horrizontal range than U-smash and a 5 frame start-up, it makes up for the time MM would have to run father to connect the U-smash.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Ohh... now I understand what you meant by the shield drop stuff. I'm pretty sure the skid is less than raising a shield and dropping it. 18 frames to skid seems excessive. Also, by skidding you get to cover a little more distance.

Run>Usmash gives you a bit of a slide (Run>JC>Usmash has more too) so that might be even better. As for frame data, skid IASA's would be really useful.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Since U-tilt has much better horrizontal range than U-smash and a 5 frame start-up, it makes up for the time MM would have to run father to connect the U-smash.
Ohh... now I understand what you meant by the shield drop stuff. I'm pretty sure the skid is less than raising a shield and dropping it. 18 frames to skid seems excessive. Also, by skidding you get to cover a little more distance.
As for frame data, skid IASA's would be really useful
Good hypotheses, nows for testing. I think we would really need to find out
  1. Does Skid cover more distance than Shield? You do slide as you shield
  2. Is skid IASA faster than Shield IASA? By how many frames? I believe it should be faster since you can buffer an U-tilt pretty much when you see the skid start. You can only buffer 9 frames before an action ends.
  3. How does Skid(?frames)/Shield(18 frames) + U-tilt (6 frames) compare to slightly more travel distance(?) +Usmash (9 frames)?
. . . TO THE LAB!

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

I'm new, what's the best way to do this?

I run > Crouch? > Up tilt

Thanks.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman

Thanks.
I simply tilt up whilst running and when I see the Skid animation start, I press A which buffers an Utilt
If you have Tap jump off you can simply hold up instead of tilting

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

Thanks.
In the video and in the thread he explains. It's simply run > let the control stick go to neutral > up tilt. Do it too fast and you'll dash attack. The reason why it's something to practice is to get the timing so that you don't waste frames between the IASA of the skid and your utilt.

Wait... can you buffer the utilt? I thought if you tried, you'd get a dash attack.

Read the post below.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Wait... can you buffer the utilt? I thought if you tried, you'd get a dash attack.
Yes can, you cannot Dash attack during the Skid, you may only cancel Skid with jump, Usmash, and surprisingly Pivot Grab though with some thought it does make sense. Also you can only cancel the initial parts of skid with Pivot Grab but it's hardly noticable since most skids are too short to get to the frames where you can't cancel with Pivot Grab.

(edit) the initial frames of Skid can be canceled into a Dash Attack, so about little after MM starts to lean back, then you can't cancel into Dash attack.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I feel that Uthrow is not a good set up for U-air. It throws them too high and you don't have good frame advantage. they can normally just drift away to escape. But with some experience found Uthrow > Diagonal-upward MB > Uair pretty solid. The MB is good for zoning and can tack on extra damage. the MB sets up an Uair.

Good hypotheses, nows for testing. I think we would really need to find out
  1. Does Skid cover more distance than Shield? You do slide as you shield
  2. Is skid IASA faster than Shield IASA? By how many frames? I believe it should be faster since you can buffer an U-tilt pretty much when you see the skid start. You can only buffer 9 frames before an action ends.
  3. How does Skid(?frames)/Shield(18 frames) + U-tilt (6 frames) compare to slightly more travel distance(?) +Usmash (9 frames)?
Also, I'm starting to feel that shield may be faster. It very hard to tell though.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Just me getting lucky enough that the 0-death worked. Had to do t in 1/4 speed because it has inhuman timing kinda. Beginning is not too terribly difficult to do and footstools are pretty easy to land, but the semi-infinite part:
buffered pivot > Short hop > Fast fall > Zdrop (dropping/tossing items doesn't cancel fast fall)> buffered short hop > Zcatch > Footstool > Buffered Zdrop
at (0:26, or press 5) A few reps of this does a lot of damage, but it's increbilbly hard. espe ially with the new buffering system.
But to 0-death you have to do that 5-6 times. Just go for the lemon lock to u-tilt if you every decide to Leafstool > Zdrop > Footstool > lemon lock (which can be humanly done consistent with practice)
Do you have a video of this in real time? The slow mo is pretty cool, but i would like to see it at game speed as well without all the editing. Thanks!

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Do you have a video of this in real time? The slow mo is pretty cool, but i would like to see it at game speed as well without all the editing. Thanks!
I already mentioned it's pretty much not humanly possible to do in real time.
But if you mean the method, You repeat (0:25-0:33) until metal blade disappears.

(0:00-0:25) The initial combo into lemon lock I can totally show this part in real time though

If you have any questions about it such as parts that are potentially escapable or mechanics behind it, just PM me, I've already cluttered the thread with enough of combos into lemon lock and the semi-infinite through these combos.

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I already mentioned it's pretty much not humanly possible to do in real time.
But if you mean the method, You repeat (0:25-0:33) until metal blade disappears.

(0:00-0:25) The initial combo into lemon lock I can totally show this part in real time though

If you have any questions about it such as parts that are potentially escapable or mechanics behind it, just PM me, I've already cluttered the thread with enough of combos into lemon lock and the semi-infinite through these combos.
Ohh ok I see now. I thought you did the combo in real time and slowed it down to give people a better look at what was going on lol.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
We can do up and down tilts with C-Stick set to SMASH.

But for them to work we need to tilt the left stick slightly up or down depending on the tilt we want and use the C-Stick in the same direction.

For example we want to do a d--tilt:

* Tilt left stick down
* Move C- Stick Down

This will do a down tilt.

Trying to do a f-tilt while tilting the left stick will result in a Smash.

This works out of skid too.

Also, I don't know if you guys know this but it seems that if you do two dashes fast enough (faster than fox-trotting) megaman enters the "stopping" animation faster so we can do anything out of it faster.

Probably could be faster than out of shield attacks but i don't know about that, needs more testing.

I don't know if it's the same thing as the running Upper.

Also, Hi.

EDIT:
It's similar to the running Upper.
The difference is that you only move the distance of the first dash.

It seems running Upper inputs sometimes buffer a dash attack, whereas doing the quick double dash input clears that buffer making it more easier to do any attack without triggering a dash attack instead.

This could be useful for d-smash.

Double dashing --> Skid --> Any attack

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
We can do up and down tilts with C-Stick set to SMASH.

But for them to work we need to tilt the left stick slightly up or down depending on the tilt we want and use the C-Stick in the same direction.

For example we want to do a d--tilt:

* Tilt left stick down
* Move C- Stick Down
/quote]
I don't see the utility in using C-stick to do the tilt instead of just simply pressing A, which does allow for F-tilt.

Last edited:

The7DSins

Smash Rookie
You can buffer up durring the innitial skid animation, so its not like you'll accidentally jump out of it

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
You can buffer up durring the innitial skid animation, so its not like you'll accidentally jump out of it
If you truely tilt you don't jump, plain and simple. If you have trouble with tilting then you jump
* Tilt left stick down
* Move C- Stick Down
The input has tilt in it, it does not mitigate not having to tilt. C-stick is extraneous. It is just substituting an attack input
Also you can hold up instead of tilting up to do a tilt as well. If you hold up during run, since you are not holding forward anymore you enter skid and after teh initial frames of skid that can be cancelable into dash attack, you may buffer a utilt.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
You can sorta RAR out of a jab/f-tilt as long it's not the 3rd pellet. I suppose you can catch opponents off guard by shooting off 1 or 2 pellets to RAR bair.

Top Bottom