• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk directly to Nintendo. Here's how and why.

D

Deleted member

Most of you know what happened about two months ago.
The second game in the 'MOTHER' series (known as Earthbound everywhere else but Japan) was released on the japanese virtual console for Wii U. Fans of the game in other areas of the world got on Miiverse's MOTHER 2 thread and started requesting Nintendo bring the game to The Americas and Europe.

A little while after, Nintendo responded and acknowledged the fans requests. (See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlFeJmtkK8)
It's obvious now that Nintendo and it's employees read Miiverse posts, and Miiverse is a perfect way to talk directly to Nintendo.

As some of you have probably realized, Earthbound's fanbase isn't as big as Smash's. If we can do what Earthbound's fanbase did with Smash 4, and multiple it, we can change the game.

Let's say we want a certain change for the game.
Faster gameplay, wave dashing, new characters, etc. Miiverse is the way to tell Nintendo that.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/warawara/14866558073037299863

What I'm wanting everyone to do here is organize people to get on Miiverse and request the game to be more like Melee, or however you want, and give reasons. With a group effort, we can influence Nintendo to fix the game for the better.

Our Goals for Smash 4:
Make it fast paced like Melee. The game should be fast paced so the game is easy for people to learn and hard for people to master. It adds replayability to the game and increases the game's lifespan. Melee is still being played today, and this is replayability is how you do it.

...more goals soon.

Be sure to draw pictures, give reasons, and act very passionate. If we can group together and talk to Nintendo, we can have influence on the game's development. Good luck.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
If you want a game like melee, go play melee lol. if you want more characters in Melee, go play project melee. Brawl was a slow paced game that allowed you time to outhink your opponent. Not just push buttons faster. I think the balance they are going for is going to be great

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So essentially you're saying "**** the people who like Brawl and dislike Melee, let's ignore Sakurai's attempts at uniting both communities and instead further separate us by making Melee AND Brawl players ask Nintendo for what they want, even if their interests conflict with each other".

I'd rather let Sakurai decide on what to add... As long as it's not something stupid like tripping.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I think Nintendo did us a big enough favor of adding Mega Man. If we did ask Nintendo on Miiverse for changes to the series, I feel that we'll be asking Nintendo for to much.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
EarthBound hasn't been released yet on the virtual console. And I don't think they really cared about the Miiverse posts, I think they were already planning to release EarthBound and used the community posts to pretend they listened to us, maybe that's just me. (You should also note that the MOTHER fanbase has been requesting localization for its games since the 90's) Also, fast pace doesn't add replayability.

D

Deleted member

How does speed add replayability? I understand a fun game will be forever played, but there is nothing to say that people will stop having fun with Brawl, or a competitive game with Brawl fall speeds.
a game that is easy for people to learn and hard for people to master adds replayability.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
a game that is easy for people to learn and hard for people to master adds replayability.
That doesn't mean a game with a slower fall speed (which is not even confirmed to be true, seeing beta test stuff) can't have no depth. Magic: The Gathering has been reckoned as being one of the deepest games of this generation, and it's turn based. SF4 isn't all that fast either, and people never claim that game is not as competitive as it can be.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I said this before in the other thread, but BE CAREFUL WITH THE POWER OF THE MIIVERSE.

Casuals can complain about things that will affect the metagame as well, and THEY WON'T KNOW BETTER.
I was listening to the TGS E3 stuff, and one of them was like "I just don't like clones because I've never felt the need to use puff in any of the games." We know Puff is a good character in melee and 64(even if she places low, I'd say the 64 tier list reflect more elements than just being placed low). So casuals are gonna be like lolz jiggs sucks nintendo plz buff, and we'll be like WHAT IS GOING ON?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Jiggs is pretty godlike in Melee. She's OKAY in 64, and SUUUUUUUUUCKS in Brawl.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I said this before in the other thread, but BE CAREFUL WITH THE POWER OF THE MIIVERSE.

Casuals can complain about things that will affect the metagame as well, and THEY WON'T KNOW BETTER.
I was listening to the TGS E3 stuff, and one of them was like "I just don't like clones because I've never felt the need to use puff in any of the games." We know Puff is a good character in melee and 64(even if she places low, I'd say the 64 tier list reflect more elements than just being placed low). So casuals are gonna be like lolz jiggs sucks nintendo plz buff, and we'll be like WHAT IS GOING ON?

So...? it's not like they will cut Jigglypuff just because one person complains about her. It doesn't affect you either, so what's your point?

Sedda

Smash Champion
So...? it's not like they will cut Jigglypuff just because one person complains about her. It doesn't affect you either, so what's your point?
My point is that this community represents less than 1% of the people who play/will play smash. Ask people who don't know about competitive Melee who is better between Puff and Kirby.

Once people start complaining about stuff on Miiverse, so will the casuals, and they may ask for things that don't need to be asked because they don't know better.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
His point is that people who play Smash can say stupid things, and if those ignorant people make ******** suggestions on Miiverse and Nintendo is stupid enough to listen, it would be bad for the game.

Edit: This post is now redundant given Sedda's response. Ah well.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
My point is that this community represents less than 1% of the people who play/will play smash. Ask people who don't know about competitive Melee who is better between Puff and Kirby.

Once people start complaining about stuff on Miiverse, so will the casuals, and they may ask for things that don't need to be asked because they don't know better.
His point is that people who play Smash can say stupid things, and if those ignorant people make ******** suggestions on Miiverse and Nintendo is stupid enough to listen, it would be bad for the game.

Do you really think Nintendo cares about what people post on Miiverse? They won't change Jigglypuff even if the 60% of Miiverse is against her.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So essentially you're saying "**** the people who like Brawl and dislike Melee, let's ignore Sakurai's attempts at uniting both communities and instead further separate us by making Melee AND Brawl players ask Nintendo for what they want, even if their interests conflict with each other".

I'd rather let Sakurai decide on what to add... As long as it's not something stupid like tripping.
QFT. I like this guy.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Do you really think Nintendo cares about what people post on Miiverse? They won't change Jigglypuff even if the 60% of Miiverse is against her.
Ok? I didn't say they cared, but in the very small chance that they do and actually listen (which I suspect they do, given the way Sakurai has described Smash 4 in comparison with Brawl and Melee) I was just trying to make everyone aware that they should be careful of what they wish for.

edit- also, stop looking for arguments with people. I was simply explaining my point of view.
First, you said that they're not going to listen to one guy sayng that Puff sucks, but then you said that even if 60% of their players complain, they won't care.
I was just sharing my opinion and the dangers that complaining on miiverse could bring to the game in a competitive sense.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Ok? I didn't say they cared, but in the very small chance that they do and actually listen (which I suspect they do, given the way Sakurai has described Smash 4 in comparison with Brawl and Melee) I was just trying to make everyone aware that they should be careful of what they wish for.

edit- also, stop looking for arguments with people. I was simply explaining my point of view.
First, you said that they're not going to listen to one guy sayng that Puff sucks, but then you said that even if 60% of their players complain, they won't care.
I was just sharing my opinion and the dangers that complaining on miiverse could bring to the game in a competitive sense.

Ok, sorry, I think I maybe exaggerated :ness:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Jigglypuff rocks.

Nintendo rocks.

Viva la smash.

Anyway, I'll attempt to do my tiny, tiny miiverse part when I get a WiiU. :happysheep:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The Melee fans have been pretty unified and loud about their disappointment with Brawl, going so far as modifying Brawl's very engine to play like Melee, popularizing it, and even getting a nice article published on IGN. For the creator of that game, it would be unlikely for him to not notice. I'm happy that he's considering trying to balance both worlds, which is what I thought he would try harder to do last time, but some of the most silly things in Brawl look like they were last minute changes.

Miiverse is kind of a safe haven from ranting, trolling, and other negative online activities (for now). Ranting about making it like Melee is just going to convince Brawl fans to rant too. I'm sure we're going to get enough complaints about moves and characters being cheap when Smash 4 comes out.

patrickthekid

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. This may be the perfect opportunity to ask for specific character requests to buff/nerf characters as well as make certain moves more viable (FLUDD).

Sedda

Smash Champion
Hey guys. This may be the perfect opportunity to ask for specific character requests to buff/nerf characters as well as make certain moves more viable (FLUDD).
Maybe we should ask for a nerf on Kirby's ssb64 u-tilt, you know, if it isn't too late

JOE!

Smash Hero
Just saying, but the animation for FLUDD in the vs Megaman vid seemed much stronger-looking than Brawl's, but that is still aesthetic.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
In other words: Brawl is for people with no technical skill and slow reaction time.
LOL I love when Randoms try give opinions on things they have no Idea about. You think jigglypuff is bad too huh? Please go tell Sakurai how better kirby is. GGCP?

Vkrm

Smash Lord
LOL I love when Randoms try give opinions on things they have no Idea about. You think jigglypuff is bad too huh? Please go tell Sakurai how better kirby is. GGCP?
Melee player are elitist? And to be fair I haven't exactly heard the name dakpo either. How'd you ever get into the BBR? Then again maybe just trying to troll.

DefenseTech

Smash Apprentice
Melee player are elitist? And to be fair I haven't exactly heard the name dakpo either. How'd you ever get into the BBR? Then again maybe just trying to troll.

lol all competitive smash players are the butt of the fighting game community

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Melee player's have the worst elitist attitudes for sure. I love both games and can't wait to see the combination of the two.
If you aren't into the brawl scene, or are new to it, I can't blame you for not knowing who I am.
I have been a huge contribution to the Zss brawl metagame placing well at multiple regions and being considered top 3 with Zss at one point in time. Not trying to be cocky, but I have definitely put enough time into this game to be at least notable

Vkrm

Smash Lord
lol all competitive smash players are the butt of the fighting game community
Do you know from experience? Or do you not realize how silly it is to form an opinion about a group of people based on what you heard from another group of people. I don't think all melee players are saints, but based on the people I've met from this scene and others we might be one of the more friendly groups in person. Casuals don't realize this because of how vocal we are about our issues with brawl. But let me ask you, can you point out me in the direction out community that isn't slightly dickish over the net?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
No Vkrm, both communities are a poison on each other. Melee players like to troll, then Brawl players get butthurt and troll back, then Melee players get butthurt and troll back, etc etc etc... Doesn't matter if theyre the friendliest people in the world to you, what matters is how they are to everyone else. Where have you been since Brawl came out?

Winston!

Smash Rookie
Loved Smash Bros N64, loved Melee, loved Brawl and hope I love Smash Wii U... lol... who are we kidding. We know this game is gonna rock. Screw all the whiny complainers who want the game developed according to their personal competitive standards. I hope they make the game play like the way they want it to.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Loved Smash Bros N64, loved Melee, loved Brawl and hope I love Smash Wii U... lol... who are we kidding. We know this game is gonna rock. Screw all the whiny complainers who want the game developed according to their personal competitive standards. I hope they make the game play like the way they want it to.
Believe it or not they can please both casual and hardcore, and I doubt you're likely to enjoy smash 4 any more if it were limited to your preferences.

@Kewkky I think my personal experiences actually count more considering I was interacting with them face to face. And if you're an Internet troll, all that matters is selecting target who will produce the most nonsensical/funniest responses. The competitive smash community is notorious for this. Basically I'm not convinced the melee community is any more trolly than any other. We're pretty argumentative, but that just stems from the passion we have for our game.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
You know what I love? People who personally attack others for having different opinions. :)

Seriously though, Brawl takes almost no skill to play compared to other fighting games. True story. Not trying to be mean, I happen to like to play Brawl occasionally, it's just not very good on a competitive level.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Admittedly it takes less physical skill, but that's not all there is to fighting games.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
You know what I love? People who personally attack others for having different opinions. :)

Seriously though, Brawl takes almost no skill to play compared to other fighting games. True story. Not trying to be mean, I happen to like to play Brawl occasionally, it's just not very good on a competitive level.
hahaha this guy!
He comes in, unnecessarily insults brawl and all of its players and then expects not to be picked out personally? Of course I'm going to defend my game. Any person who has amassed a large amount of time into something is not going to just sit back when a Random thinks it takes no skill to do. That is 100% ignorance. I love all the smash games and melee isn't an exception. You should learn to appreciate and understand the time and work that gets put into being a high level player in any game. Although, you don't appear to understand much.

Admittedly it takes less physical skill, but that's not all there is to fighting games.
this X1000

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Brawl.
Quite a fun game if you ask me. That's all there really is to say on the matter.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
brawl v melee debates its like 2008 all over again!
What did you say? You have an opinion that's not exactly like mine? Here's a counterpoint that may or may not be irrelevant but makes me sound knowledgeable enough to rebut anyway! As far as I know, anyway.
Anyway, back on topic. Perhaps people can make a difference. I wouldn't knock the idea just yet.
Or at all, actually.

Top Bottom