• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk About Witch Time

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Can someone explain how knockback works when Witch Time is on someone?

Does it build it? What happens you smash them, but then use a weaker move...?

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
thats her down b activation animation at the start for sure and just like in her trailer the batwithin wondow is larger. she would have to counter twice because witch time only makes you invulnerable to that first hitbox you counter the second down b was on the shockwave triggering it.

Back roll and WT are the same animations except WT stays in place and flashes purple.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
There's even more evidence that Bat Within activates from normal dodges in the 1v1 from the stream.
At about 1:22, she clearly shields and rolls to avoid the Dsmash, but gets hit and activates BW instead.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Bat Within triggers Witch Time only when it's activated using her Down B. If activated from a roll, it's simply a parry.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There's even more evidence that Bat Within activates from normal dodges in the 1v1 from the stream.
At about 1:22, she clearly shields and rolls to avoid the Dsmash, but gets hit and activates BW instead.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Bat Within triggers Witch Time only when it's activated using her Down B. If activated from a roll, it's simply a parry.
Wait, can Bat Within be activated from a regular dodge like in the games?

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
If only you could slam the control stick in the direction of attacks to reflect them mid combo just like her actual games. Can't wait to see taunt-cancelled combo starters or cancels into Witch Time, though. Or taunt cancelled shoot spamming (I main Wii Fit, so this really does excite me lol).

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'm not quite understanding Bat Within and Witch Time. Is Bat Within apart of her dodge's and counter?

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
does it stay in place or does it just move a shorter distance?
It moves slightly back, but no where near a roll.
at 2:30 does aerial WT and then grounded.
I'm not quite understanding Bat Within and Witch Time. Is Bat Within apart of her dodge's and counter?
Yes... First frames of dodges last frames of WT (current theory)

Last edited:

Trexbor17

Smash Rookie
Mr_Kreep3r Mr_Kreep3r Yes we were right! Come ill treat you to some hat burgers. Also bat within only activates at the beginning of rolls and dodges, at the end bat within doesnt activate.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Just to confirm, Witch Time only cancels the hitbox that activates the counter, right? So if a move has multiple hitboxes, the rest of the hitboxes don't get disabled? For example, if I'm Lucas and use PKT2 and Bayonetta counters, she'll disable the first hitbox, but the move will still continue producing hitboxes every three frames of the original animation? How does this work with hitboxes that use re-hit rates instead of multiple hitboxes? If Im Lucas and I nair and she hits me with Witch Time, am I stuck in an empty animation until Lucas reaches frame 26 of his attack? (Lucas's nair is 7-23--5-frame re-hit rate--, 26)

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
By far the best counter in the game. It rewards you more for countering weak moves and is exponentially harder to punish than any of the other counters,while also giving you the ability to apply insane damage at low and high percents or go for easy smash kills.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Just to confirm, Witch Time only cancels the hitbox that activates the counter, right? So if a move has multiple hitboxes, the rest of the hitboxes don't get disabled? For example, if I'm Lucas and use PKT2 and Bayonetta counters, she'll disable the first hitbox, but the move will still continue producing hitboxes every three frames of the original animation? How does this work with hitboxes that use re-hit rates instead of multiple hitboxes? If Im Lucas and I nair and she hits me with Witch Time, am I stuck in an empty animation until Lucas reaches frame 26 of his attack? (Lucas's nair is 7-23--5-frame re-hit rate--, 26)
Zero input on that scenario, but I WT'd multiple Ness PKThunder spins on the first hit. It immediately cancelled the move and I was safe to basically decimate it.

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
Yeah but the player who threw the proj doesnt slow down.
To be accurate, the enemy is slow down only if you activate Witch Time close enough of your opponent. For example, I was able to slow down Mario using his fireball and Sheik's grenade at close range.

Last edited:

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the rest of the attack will hit, tried WT against DDD f-tilt and while witch time did activate, I got hit by the remainder of the f-tilt and it cancelled my WT

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
I hit a WT with Link's ftilt. The incoming fsmash from Bayonetta clanked with his sword. So I take it that it doesn't cancel all hit boxes... Just another example.

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
I do think I read something about your opponent's hitboxes remaining active in WT in one of the tooltips.

Played a Bayonetta mirror last night and found I was able to WT what I believe was her held dtilt. I just remember being a ways out and getting the slowdown to take effect on her during a flurry of bullets. Curious to see if there's a general proximity thing at play when it comes to WT'ing projectiles.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
You can easily kill people at around 35 percent with this move if you use it fresh, without even using a meteor. Look at the video I posted in the video thread if you want to see it. Up smash, up smash, up b, two side b's and an up air will kill almost anyone off the top of most legal stages at 35 or so percent. This is the one counter that's probably worth using, especially since it's harder to punish than the other ones.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
I actually think Bayo is pretty fair to fight against(have'nt been able to buy her yet to try her out for myself), except for witch time. I don't know the specific timing needed to hit with it but it really looks like low risk very high reward, i've fought against some very fun bayonettas but i'm running into a lot of them who abuse that move(and for good reason, it's insanely powerful), of course this is early on so perhaps i'm just not good at the matchup yet.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah but the player who threw the proj doesnt slow down.
however you cna use it in a team situation to makeopponents hit each other. the projectile will pass through you giving you more room and spacing.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I actually think Bayo is pretty fair to fight against(have'nt been able to buy her yet to try her out for myself), except for witch time. I don't know the specific timing needed to hit with it but it really looks like low risk very high reward, i've fought against some very fun bayonettas but i'm running into a lot of them who abuse that move(and for good reason, it's insanely powerful), of course this is early on so perhaps i'm just not good at the matchup yet.
I'm assuming you've been playing on For Glory? That's all they do on there is spam. I was watching Mew2King's guide on Bayonetta and he says that Witch Time is pretty much only good is only good for 2 uses then it looses it's touch. Also Bayonetta is light so remember that.

Is Witch Time good at low-mid precents to start Combos with or do I want to wait until they get higher in precents?

Giova

Smash Cadet
I'm assuming you've been playing on For Glory? That's all they do on there is spam. I was watching Mew2King's guide on Bayonetta and he says that Witch Time is pretty much only good is only good for 2 uses then it looses it's touch. Also Bayonetta is light so remember that.

Is Witch Time good at low-mid precents to start Combos with or do I want to wait until they get higher in precents?
Okay no. Witchtime is good all the time, you should do it at the beggining of the match to start comboing (go for 60% combos), then you can use it once again to end that stuck, or just end it with a kill combo, then you should run and wait while bullet arting and do witch time again to make 60%+ and then once more to kill. If you don't know this, witch time doesnt stall like regular moves but the stall is for consecutive uses. If you wait 10-20 secs witch time is good as new. If you miss witch time it counts as used too. So don't miss but spam that shiat :)

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Okay no. Witchtime is good all the time, you should do it at the beggining of the match to start comboing (go for 60% combos), then you can use it once again to end that stuck, or just end it with a kill combo, then you should run and wait while bullet arting and do witch time again to make 60%+ and then once more to kill. If you don't know this, witch time doesnt stall like regular moves but the stall is for consecutive uses. If you wait 10-20 secs witch time is good as new. If you miss witch time it counts as used too. So don't miss but spam that shiat :)
Oh. So witch time doesn't stail unless it's hit over and over?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Witch time stall if you use down b, even if you don't dodge something but witch time unstall itself by time lol
Ok I didn't know that it unstall by itself over time. I appreciate your advice.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
Yep for glory xD, I usually play on study breaks so I don't have enough time to set up matches on anthers ladder. Spamming aside the pay off is still insane, it leaves all the other counters in the dust and I think it freezes time for the same length regardless of how strong the attack was(I hit someone with mario's cape and set it off), unlike the other counters which unless i'm wrong deal more damage the stronger the attack.
And yeah bayo is light, that's why I said I think she's a mostly fair character to fight against,

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
Witch time is pretty overpowered from what I can tell. I don't think any character has a strict of a counter as Greninja's, but at least Greninja's was, at one point, one of the strongest counters in the game. Not anymore apparently. The amount of frames you are slowed down for is pretty insane.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
One thing I like about witch Time is that it can be used against stage Boss's and smash run enemies. it doesnt have the click hand visual, but you can definetly see the slow down.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
The other day I made a topic about how, using Bat within, I was able to escape Link's FSvia Bat within on the initial grapple attack it had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3c3_gTca3U&feature=youtu.be&t=2m19s

Today I have found that Witch Time is able to effect Final Smash's as well.

With Bowsers Final Smash, you would think he'd be immune to everything due to attacks not effecting him, but Witch time slows him down during his FS like any other character. So I'm guessing that means other characters who get temporary playable power up forms, like Super Sonic, Wario Man, and Mega Charizard can be effected by Witch Time also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-pyVaHwcsY&feature=youtu.be&t=2m12s

I also found out that its also effective against Ganondorfs FS. After dodging the initial stunning strike of Ganondorfs final Smash, when the boar form came at me it simply passed right by me without dealing any damage what so ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRPUmAk_XQ&feature=youtu.be&t=2m2s

I'm really loving Witch Time, now I just need to learn to use it better.

Top Bottom