• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Space Animal matchups...

demodemo

Smash Ace
i think spike is guaranteed as well, unless falco messes up the percents

i don't want to explain why sheik does not do well against falco
anymore

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Yayyyy, now I can prove my point.
falco only hopes for a cg? psh no, sheik has tons of trouble approaching against falco's shdl, and before some idiot says it, no you can't outcamp falco. sheik will get shield grabbed at some point since rar'd bair doesnt work with laser pressure

yeah ok, you can crawl against the lasers, but when you get within range falco can just use his reflector, and you're back to square one.
1) If Sheik is crouching, why does she have to approach? You can't do damage, you have to approach just as much as us.
2) Even if you do approach, Falco's Shine somehow sends you back 'to square one'? As in, it knocks me all the way across the stage, oooor is it just a weak attack with punishable afterlag?
not to mention after the CG the spike connects on sheik and falco can kill sheik at like 90%.
After the F Tilt Lock, Sheik can kill Falco with a tipper U Smash at like 90%. See how stupid that mentality is? F Smash is **** slow and easily punishable. Are you playing the same game as me, because last time I checked Falco has trouble killing (it's the reason I don't think he deserves 3rd). His most used option is probably a B Air at around 140%. Laser to U Smash doesn't combo and kills at mediocre percents anyway.
falco is hard to get inside (he's high tier for a reason guys) but once you do sheik does do well against him. the tilt lock really ***** him, and since he is a fast faller, the decayed ftilt usmash is very viable. even if you mess it up sheik has an excellent edgeguarding game against him. he has to use illusion (or is it phantasm or something?) and illusion can be stopped with a well timed nair. of course a good falco who is smart with his recovery can still work his way around it.
All sounding pretty good for Sheik here hmm? How exactly does the Falco 'work around it'?
- Phantasm's above the stage, we do whatever we want.
- Phantasm to the stage (ground level), anything because Phantasm priority sucks, best option D Smash.
- Phantasm to the edge, Chain hog, falling N Air, simple edgehog, whatever.
- Firefox, as you said, is lol.
If you're confused as to whether he's going to go for the ground level or edge, just falling N Air.
if you somehow manage to force falco to use firebird, its a stock, seriously. i think all of sheiks aerials go through firebird (yeah, even when its moving) notably fair, so go crazy if the opportunity arises.
Yep.

I respect you as a poster demo, but that...just was bad.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You want that I actually contribute to the Sheik boards by starting with your arguments?

1) If Sheik is crouching, why does she have to approach? You can't do damage, you have to approach just as much as us.
The only time Falco has to actually approach is if he's in a losing state. Otherwise he's effectively keeping you locked down, and if he needs to approach he's got a better positional advantage as a result.

2) Even if you do approach, Falco's Shine somehow sends you back 'to square one'? As in, it knocks me all the way across the stage, oooor is it just a weak attack with punishable afterlag?
I'm not sure why people would use Falco's Shine for this purpose either, but I suppose it can be a mixup with grabbing and fthrowing to continue the laser camping... or bthrowing if he's at the ledge.

After the F Tilt Lock, Sheik can kill Falco with a tipper U Smash at like 90%. See how stupid that mentality is? F Smash is **** slow and easily punishable. Are you playing the same game as me, because last time I checked Falco has trouble killing (it's the reason I don't think he deserves 3rd). His most used option is probably a B Air at around 140%. Laser to U Smash doesn't combo and kills at mediocre percents anyway.
Laser to usmash can combo in very certain situations, but other than that you're kind of right. However, Sheik is light and this isn't Melee, so Falco's usmash is actually rather decent. This part seems for the most part about situationals (yes, ftilt locking to 90% directly into a usmash is situational on Falco), though, so whatever.

- Phantasm's above the stage, we do whatever we want.
The only time I can ever see a Falco doing this is to land on a platform. What the hell kind of whack Falcos are you playing that Phantasm way above the stage?
- Phantasm to the stage (ground level), anything because Phantasm priority sucks, best option D Smash.
You must be thinking of Melee, where Phantasm's hitbox was behind Falco and thus the attack could be beaten by anything. This is Brawl, where the Phantasm's hitbox is in front of Falco and if you time it just right you might be able to clash his Phantasm with your dsmash, but otherwise, no, you're not beating Phantasm with anything.

On the other hand, I have little respect for anybody, and I think I've filled my quota of saying anything meaningful in here for the month.

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
On the other hand, I have little respect for anybody, and I think I've filled my quota of saying anything meaningful in here for the month.
Whether or not I agree with what he said, Ankoku just won this thread.

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
is it possible like if falco throws out his reflector if you jump to dodge can you needle him from the air or will it be relected? if yes does it stop that animation cuz if it does that could give us an even bigger advantage by like nuralizing that move in *some* cases

demodemo

Smash Ace
yeeeeeeeee

falco's reflector has good range, once sheik gets in range she gets pushed back. i think its the best option falco has against a crawling sheik. maybe sheik can power shield it and maybe run in for a grab, but i'm not gonna bother finding out. bottom line is, sheik cannot just crawl up and attack.

fsmash isn't that slow, i guess its punishable but it has pretty good range for its speed. he can predict a roll and land it.

edgeguarding stuff
I have personally tried to dsmash against the phantasm, but it never worked for me. i think was timing it wrong but whatever. anyway falco's second jump is really good, and gives him many options when they return to the stage. Honestly i find it really hard to time an attack to hit them when they go for the edge, if you manage to get the chain out or do the falling nair, then more power to you. the falco i played would go to a platform above it, or just simply over me. (if on fd) This is what i meant by overcoming sheik's edgeguarding. Sheik just does not have a single surefire way to edgeguard as you seem to think. Of course, if you know the matchup well enough, you can read or fool the falco, but that's a different story.

No need to bring respect into any discussion around here. Frankly, i care very little for the respect people I meet on the internet have of me, unless i was going to meet them in the future or something. That being said, I do have respect for everybody around here (a little less for some posters) but i don't bring it up since it may contaminate healthy debates.

and holy ****, stop meatriding ankoku people. I don't want to name names, (just some of you) but come on. I mean, the occasional poke at his strange character once in awhile is fine, but just because he like posts here twice a week and has a red name doesn't mean every one of his posts should be treated like the holy grail

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
and holy ****, stop meatriding ankoku people. I don't want to name names, (just some of you) but come on. I mean, the occasional poke at his strange character once in awhile is fine, but just because he like posts here twice a week and has a red name doesn't mean every one of his posts should be worshipped and cross examined.
Oh wow, someone understands why I hate this place.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I would just like to say that Falco does not need to use his reflector whenever Sheik approches, because it seems like you guys are saying that every time sheik crawls under Falco's lasers, he always uses his reflector. Also, if you see the reflector coming, you can perfect shield it and easily punish.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
is it possible like if falco throws out his reflector if you jump to dodge can you needle him from the air or will it be relected? if yes does it stop that animation cuz if it does that could give us an even bigger advantage by like nuralizing that move in *some* cases
It's not like the reflector shuts us down. Your own needles should never hit you. EVER. Needles have a set distance and should be used to where they *poof* before they reach you after reflected.

I would just like to say that Falco does not need to use his reflector whenever Sheik approches, because it seems like you guys are saying that every time sheik crawls under Falco's lasers, he always uses his reflector. Also, if you see the reflector coming, you can perfect shield it and easily punish.
I also thought that you could crawl under the reflector... I could totally be wrong, I just thought it was a high hit for some reason.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I also thought that you could crawl under the reflector... I could totally be wrong, I just thought it was a high hit for some reason.
you can not only avoid it by crawling but I'm pretty sure there are frames of it where it looks as if it is hitting and sheik can not be hit all together at a certain distance, even when standing or lets say deploying the chain or something to that effect.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
:(

I hate quoting stuffs.

1. you can crouch under reflector so it is not a good option for "pushing back crouching shieks"
2. you want to use needles at closer ranges to rack higher damage even on characters with reflectors.

The sheik falco match up in an interesting one... falco has much better projectile camping options and will definitely force an approach on most stages. And while you can crawl under lasers against any... half decent falco that isn't a strong approach option.

That said full hop needle and bair are good pressuring tools for sheik in this match up, falco doesn't have a strong answer to either. In the air sheik also shines with her fast aerials, again specifically bair which falco has no real answer too.

Off stage are where needles a probably most important in this match because between the laser and the reflector you won't be getting too many off. While falco is recovering needle is one of the few attacks spare what... the chain? that can get falco out of the phantasm and force him to up b which as we all know most of the time nets shiek an easy kill.
And yes... I am kind of over simplifying falco's options he does have a lot off good tools of his own, phatasm is so hard to punish if spaced well. His ftilt and dacus are really good, of course his CG.

sheik doesn't need to camp to be effective, so just shutting out that small aspect of her game isn't going to destroy her as a character. Sheik has a lot of very good close and mid range options here and does exceedingly well when her opponent is off stage. Especially when that opponent is a spacie.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
falco's reflector has good range, once sheik gets in range she gets pushed back. i think its the best option falco has against a crawling sheik. maybe sheik can power shield it and maybe run in for a grab, but i'm not gonna bother finding out. bottom line is, sheik cannot just crawl up and attack.
As I've already said, barring a percentage advantage (see Ankoku's post) Sheik doesn't even have to approach. <3 also reminded me that I THINK Sheik can crouch under the reflector hitbox, in which case your whole argument is null. Even if she can't, you can powershield it and punish it for it's long duration and punishable afterlag.

fsmash isn't that slow, i guess its punishable but it has pretty good range for its speed. he can predict a roll and land it.
Predict a roll? Good Sheiks should never be rolling through an opponent, ever. F Smash is situational and hard to land, I stand by the fact Falco will most likely be killing around 140% from a B Air.

Edgeguard stuff
Yes, I agree with you that Falco has an element of unpredictability in his recovery, my point is that Sheik has an effective answer to every situation, so in theory Sheik's edgeguard game can **** Falco. Granted we're not taking into account predictability issues, but it's certainly possible that a Sheik can counter every option.

No need to bring respect into any discussion around here. Frankly, i care very little for the respect people I meet on the internet have of me, unless i was going to meet them in the future or something. That being said, I do have respect for everybody around here (a little less for some posters) but i don't bring it up since it may contaminate healthy debates.
Understandable, I was just pointing out that I've got nothing against you, my discussion style can come off as agressive.

Ankoku stuff
Agreed.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
That said full hop needle and bair are good pressuring tools for sheik in this match up, falco doesn't have a strong answer to either. In the air sheik also shines with her fast aerials, again specifically bair which falco has no real answer too.
Full hop needle? As in, just one needle right? Well, given the fact it's only one needle going at a lame angle, and it isn't exactly the fastest projectile, that's not going to be easy to land (especially given the Falco constantly moves has he spams). Also, Falco can shield/dodge. I don't think one little needle is going to much much of a difference against a wall of spam.
Against Bair, a SH with backwards DI to a single laser beats that and can lead to a dacus, tilt, reverse boost grab (definitely don't want to be given Falco any grabs), etc.
Also, simply a shielding the bair (even if spaced) can be good enough. Because it doesn't have the godly range it used to and has landing lag, Falco can shield drop and punish you (ex. shield drop to dacus or even just a dashed upsmash).
And more people are abusing SH airdodges, cept you can catch on to that and it's a free ftilt.
Off stage are where needles a probably most important in this match because between the laser and the reflector you won't be getting too many off. While falco is recovering needle is one of the few attacks spare what... the chain? that can get falco out of the phantasm and force him to up b which as we all know most of the time nets shiek an easy kill.
That's what I always assumed, but if Falco saves his double jump and/or decides to just sweetspot, needles don't work out to be that amazing given the limited ways Sheik can actually hit Falco when you're wondering which way he decides to recover.
If this doesn't make sense, I'll elaborate on it later after class since it's something I've been playing around with against Falcos alot.
sheik doesn't need to camp to be effective, so just shutting out that small aspect of her game isn't going to destroy her as a character. Sheik has a lot of very good close and mid range options here and does exceedingly well when her opponent is off stage. Especially when that opponent is a spacie.
Well, Sheik isn't that good at camping at all to start with. It's the fact she's given more limited movement, forced to approach, also get's damaged easily (CG/Camping), etc.
As I've already said, barring a percentage advantage (see Ankoku's post) Sheik doesn't even have to approach.
This percentage advantage is usually going to be favoring Falco though.
<3 also reminded me that I THINK Sheik can crouch under the reflector hitbox, in which case your whole argument is null. Even if she can't, you can powershield it and punish it for it's long duration and punishable afterlag.
>_< @ demo for even bringing up reflector.
Predict a roll? Good Sheiks should never be rolling through an opponent, ever.
They do though. Sheik has a pretty good roll and sometimes it's just instinct. There's also spot dodges and simply missed moves. Falco's Fsmash hitbox is silly and after watching D1 and Chillin, it's surprisingly often that people may fall victim to it.
F Smash is situational and hard to land, I stand by the fact Falco will most likely be killing around 140% from a B Air.
What Ankoku said.
so in theory Sheik's edgeguard game can **** Falco. Granted we're not taking into account predictability issues, but it's certainly possible that a Sheik can counter every option.
Which characters don't? Characters with an even easier time (Ex. MK and Snake) still struggle.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
This percentage advantage is usually going to be favoring Falco though.
You can't use that argument. Sheik can F Tilt lock with equal or greater ease then a Falco can CG, the only situation I see this developing is from a completely neutral start where a Falco has gotten tack damage from laser. Otherwise it goes either way.

>_< @ demo for even bringing up reflector.
Yep.
They do though. Sheik has a pretty good roll and sometimes it's just instinct. There's also spot dodges and simply missed moves. Falco's Fsmash hitbox is silly and after watching D1 and Chillin, it's surprisingly often that people may fall victim to it.
Good players don't roll on instinct, nor should they. It's a nasty habit. Sheik's moves are quick with usually low cooldown, nothing like enough to punish with F Smash.

What Ankoku said.
Sheik won't get killed at the exact U Smash KO percentage, which IIRC is around 120%? So I stand by my 140% comment.
Which characters don't? Characters with an even easier time (Ex. MK and Snake) still struggle.
We're dealing in theory here. Theoretically therefore, Sheik has an option for every recovery option. Things like predictability are where we need some actual matchup evidence from a good Sheik and Falco.

At this point, we're going round in circles. Try and get video's of that MM between Marsulas and yourself so we can actually have some evidence of the matchup. In this kind of discussion, things don't work out right and people get bogged down in theorycraft, pretending Falco lasers forever after a CG and Sheik can never get close, which isn't the way a match actually works. Brawl shield mechanics, crawling etc. all make camping far overstated and people convenientally forget about discussing the much more likely majority of damage inflicted in close range, something Sheik beats Falco at.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Seeing as how I have no videos out and no one even knows who I am......I don't think I should be regarded as one of the better Sheik players lol.

Players like Villi, Scary, or Ankoku should really be the only ones viewed as current good Sheik players since they are in regions where top players are and compete against them on a weekly basis.

Yes I contribute to the boards and I have a good understanding of Sheik, but please do not put me into the category of a good Sheik player because I have done nothing to prove that yet.

Edit: By the way I will probably have some offline vids against a decent Marth player in about a week if I can get my friend to upload them.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Maybe you're not the best, but you've shown a sound understanding of Sheik, so we can still analyse the match. I won't judge it as 'NJ wins, Falco has the advantage' or vice versa, we can just use instances in the match as references to debunk or fortify claims.

demodemo

Smash Ace
ROFL if reflector seriously does not hit sheik then i need to get my head checked. Not doubting any of you, since i seem to be the only one who keeps blabbering on about it. I genuinely apologize in advance if sheik can actually crouch underneath the reflector. However, i'd still be surprised, since i didn't pull this idea out of a hat, i actually tried to crouch approach falco and got punished for it. I seriously believe it was the reflector, but thinking in retrospect and Njz reminding me about phantasm is giving me second thoughts.. agh

blistering speed is correct about this discussion becoming back and forth theory wars, i have not played brawl in too long, and more importantly have not played a falco in too long. Now that i think about it, it's pretty silly for me to post so passionately about a game i haven't played in a month haha. I guess one thing just lead to another, and my points got out of hand.

bottom line is, there are not enough active (in tournament) sheiks at all; we simply do not have the competitive knowledge to clarify this debate. Things that may work at lower levels of play would never work in a million years at a tournament.

one last thing though, maybe it's just because i am bad, but i rolled against falco because it seemed like a good solution to avoid his lasers+his grab. maybe shorthop airdodge would have worked, but i never tried it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You can't use that argument. Sheik can F Tilt lock with equal or greater ease then a Falco can CG, the only situation I see this developing is from a completely neutral start where a Falco has gotten tack damage from laser. Otherwise it goes either way.
Match begins, Falco spams lasers, Falco now has the % lead

>_>
Yep.

Good players don't roll on instinct, nor should they. It's a nasty habit.
But they do...
Sheik's moves are quick with usually low cooldown, nothing like enough to punish with F Smash.
Ex. If Sheik miss spaces an aerial as Falco tries to punish it with a Fsmash, regardless of how low her cooldown is, she will get it. That is why I mentioned the silly hitbox. Cooldown is almost irrelevant if the move has the reach and priority (this can also be used to reason why DK isn't horrible).

Keitaro is going to be at this upcoming tourney I'm attending; I'll try to get some matches against his Falco recorded and shiz.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Match begins, Falco spams lasers, Falco now has the % lead.
Match begins, Sheik shoots a needle and crouches. C wut I did ther?

But they do...
Not really. I haven't proven myself as a good player but I don't roll past people on 'instinct', I'm sure someone like Azen can manage it.
Ex. If Sheik miss spaces an aerial as Falco tries to punish it with a Fsmash, regardless of how low her cooldown is, she will get it. That is why I mentioned the silly hitbox. Cooldown is almost irrelevant if the move has the reach and priority (this can also be used to reason why DK isn't horrible).
If the Falco is mid execution of F Smash then a Sheik won't miss space an aerial unless they're really bad.

Keitaro is going to be at this upcoming tourney I'm attending; I'll try to get some matches against his Falco recorded and shiz.
Good ****, this I would be interested in.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Match begins, Sheik shoots a needle and crouches. C wut I did ther?
Falco's spam is far easier to land haha
Not really. I haven't proven myself as a good player but I don't roll past people on 'instinct', I'm sure someone like Azen can manage it.
I've played him and seen him play others. People have to realize they're human too haha. Especially when you consider how rolling, in general, has more use in Barwl.
I remember Mew2King making a thread of how to improve the way you roll pass people (yes, past people, not even just rolling in general). He's also mentioned that Falcos should laser cancel into rolls more often when spamming.
Rolling is where it's add dud, eeff wavedashing xD
If the Falco is mid execution of F Smash then a Sheik won't miss space an aerial unless they're really bad.
If Sheik is even attempting to get near Falco after mid execution, she'll get hit. I was kinda thinking in situations where Falco thinks ahead and reads Sheik's next move and punishes it with a Fsmash (and for a plus, consider how Falco limits Sheik's movability).

It's weird talking about this though. Because like, the reasoning used (like quick moves and stuff) can defend MetaKnights, yet I've seen little problems rise with Falco's ability to KO them.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
The last Falco match I watched, SK92 (best Falco IMO) vs an unheard of Snake MM.

Last stock is lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ekr3ZMv_s

Not using this as evidence in anyway, I just found it funny. I've just noticed a trend on the Falco matches I've watched that there opponents do live to around 140% (apart from the CG>D Air>Followup gimp, but these don't factor anymore because of the ability to SDI D Air). Call it what you will.

And yes, I agree rolling is much more usable in Barwl relatively to Melee, but there are still better options generally. Look at Sheik's roll frame data, it isn't pretty. Rolling away is far less punishable and I do it myself, I won't contest that, but I still see rolling through as too easy to predict and punish. Soon as that roll is started, you are moving to a fixed position through your opponent with little invincibility frames.

But as I say, I'll just leave this until you get the vids, we're just nitpicking.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
But Snake is fat :(

Well even so, if that's how it is, then that's how it is. As in, if it's not a character specific thing, rather, he has to kill all characters like that, then that makes it less of "advantage" for Sheik. Falco wouldn't be that great of a character / do well in tourneys if his KOing abilities pulled him back that much.

And also, Keitaro is apparently hoping to be able to SDI the ftilt by then xD; I actually think most Falcos don't bother learning because of the lack of Sheiks :/

-Mars-

Smash Hero
And also, Keitaro is apparently hoping to be able to SDI the ftilt by then xD; I actually think most Falcos don't bother learning because of the lack of Sheiks :/
Honestly what's there to learn? It isn't like the DI for the ftilt requires precise inputs or anything lol.

I didn't know that you played Sheik NJz.....it will be interesting to see your style.

Top Bottom