• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's stop using the term "Spike", now, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
To no offense but, not only are you totally wrong about there being no Spikes but, your idea is plainly stupid.

First off I will name some spikes.

Diddy kong:UpB
Marth:Dair
DK:Fair, Dair
Wolf: Dair, SideB
MK:UpB
Captain F.:Dair
Olimar: Dair
Ike: Dair,Dtilt
Zelda: Dair
ZZS:SideB
Samus:Dair
Falco:Dair, SideB
Kirby:Dair
DeDeDe:UpB
R.O.B:Dair
Ness:Dair
Lucus:Bair
Snake:Fair
PT:Charzard:Dair
:Ivysaur:Dair

There probably are more but you get the point, most of these will work at around 20%.
With a 100% chance of K.O.ing someone.

Of course, sweetspotting and whatnot.

And even in Melee, below 20% most spikes could be recovered from.
So, this here refute your claim of no spikes, and I refute your potition.
Thankyou.

10characters

Spire

III
BRoomer
Terms change over time. Remember when "gay" simply meant "happy"? Yeah, it's not like that anymore. Just accept the term "spike" as an adapted "meteor smash". All in all, it's referring to the same thing and is far easier to say.

I'm not a fan of saying nair, dair, uair, fair, bair, etc, etc. I personally find these terms ludicrous and downright stupid. However, they are used very frequently amongst the Smash community, and I respect that, so I accept their usage by those who care to use them.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
I played and still play SSB64 and I never call them meteor smashes in that. It's not like when someone uses 'spike' the other person will get the wrong idea like some things. If you say to someone who's just began playing the game something along the lines of "did you see that spike?!", they'll know what you mean.

Good luck changing the use of such a widely used term. Especially since it's a term that has nothing wrong with it.
Yeah, though good history lesson on the name.

It's kind of like the word "Hacker". Hacker originally meant someone who enjoys exploring and learning about computer systems or someone who became good at computer through trial-and-error(learning by themselves) or basically "someone who was just good at computers".

"Cracker" is the term used for someone who cracks into computers, internet servers, etc to gain unauthorized access to other computers.

Everyone now uses "Hacker" like they mean "Cracker" now.

Trying to change everyone and tell them to use "Cracker" instead of :"Hacker" = impossible.

You know, the funny thing is I learned the "technical" definition of "Hacker" through another thread like this on another forum, where someone all thought we should try to say the correct terms instead of saying "Hacker" when we mean "Cracker".

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
Imagine what people would say if Yuna didn't have a blue name and 7,000 posts.
i know, if i posted talk about total freakout on the word noob

and yuna, is it that big of a deal, i mean seriously, think about, will you stop coming here, or stop playing brawl? no (least i hope not )

JrdnS

Smash Ace
no thanks. "i like saying i just spiked the crap out of you" , to my friends, a little bit more.

but yuna i see what youre saying. i just dont think its that big of a deal since everyone knows what youre talking about when you say spiked anyway. personally i think you could say what you like more.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Bowser has spikes in Brawl.
i lol' d

on a related note, I don't care what you call them.
Isn't this more of a personal problem? you aren't going to get an entire community to stop using one word, but you can. You can also try and correct others around you, but this seems like personal preference and not a matter of right and wrong, especially now since there is only one move in Brawl. No longer are there two types of downward hits (MS and spike) but one. So what does it matter what someone calls them. It should be even more obvious what they are talking about since tou can't mix it up with anything. There are only MS's, so if someone says "spike" you know what they mean.

I hope that made sense.

sohel08

Smash Rookie
Meter like smash

The community didn't want to have to say "Non-cancellable Meteor Smash" when referring to Meteor Smashes that could not be canceled so the term "Spike" was invented. This term was entirely made up by the community and has no basis in the game itself, but that's not the point here. Soon, people equated all Meteor Smashes to Spikes and the term "Spike" started being used even for the MS:es that could be MSC:ed.

The point is that in Brawl all Meteor Smashes can be Meteor Canceled. The term "Spike" has now become obsolete. There are no Spikes in Brawl. Only Meteor Smashes. There's absolutely no reason to cling onto a term for something that's not even in the game anymore to describe a type of attack which has an actual name.

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
I don't see what the problem is with letting "spike" and "meteor smash" be synonymous.

I don't ever recall calling anything a "meteor" in SSB64. The game was some strange new cross between Street Fighter and Volleyball, and "Spike" was the most natural nickname for downward hits. I don't see why it isn't now.

Insisting on removing the word "spike" from the lexicon seems unneccessarily legalistic, given that "meteor smashes" are almost never actual smash attacks.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
I think, since spike not only sounds cooler, but is easier and shorter to say, we stop using meteor smash, and instead use spike. Then maybe a new term could be coined, 'spike cancel' or sc

BentoBox

Smash Master
God... Lay off that hate-orade already. Is there a reason why you feel the need to ***** and whine in every single post of yours? (directed to Yuna)

There are no Spikes in Brawl. Only Meteor Smashes. There's absolutely no reason to cling onto a term for something that's not even in the game anymore to describe a type of attack which has an actual name.
And why couldn't that term [Spike] replace MS? Seeing as the former doesn't mean anything if we take Brawl as a standalone. Pretty much everyone agrees that Spike is used because its more convenient.

And seriously, nobody gives a ****. Having trouble sleeping at night?

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Seeing how there are no more "non-cancelable meteor smashes" in brawl, no matter whether we say Spike or Meteor Smash, no one will be confused. Calling Mario's fair in Melee a spike is worth complaining about(since spikes couldn't be cancelled in melee). However if players want to call Mario's fair in Brawl a spike, then that is fine, because in Brawl, the words "spike" and "meteor-smash" are interchangeable, just like ukemi and teching, or ftilt and forward strong attack. Spike has a new definition in Brawl. Why use the spike definition from Melee, when clearly it doesn't apply in Brawl?
Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, so it isn't required that we keep the same definitions for all our user created terms.

Seems to me that the masses like the term Spike, and they want to keep it around for many more years so lets keep it. Besides saying "you just got meteor-smashed" just feels a bit too nerdy even for me. Saying "Spiked!" is way more fun, simple, and not nerdy. Also people who aren't familiar with the Smash series will understand what a spike is, just based on games like Volleyball.

Yes, but tech and ukemi are the same thing; we just prefer calling it "tech." However, spikes and meteor smashes are NOT the same thing. Therefore, we can't call it either.
Sure they are the same thing. Why would the definition of a spike in Brawl be "a meteor smash that cannot be cancelled" if such a thing does not exist. That would be like me saying "You can't call the thing in Super Mario Bros. that throws spinys a 'Cloud.' It is called Lakitu. Cloud is the main character of Final Fantasy 7 and he does not throw spinys. There is no one named Cloud in Super Mario Bros." What the hell does the definition of "Cloud" in Final Fantasy 7 have to do with a Mario game? They are two separate games, therefore they are allowed to use the name "Cloud" in different ways without confusing the players. Who would actually think when someone calls a Lakitu "Cloud" in a Mario game that they are talking about Cloud from FF7. Similarly who would think that when someone says "spike" in Brawl, that they mean a "non-cancelable meteor smash". Those aren't in Brawl just like Cloud isn't in Mario games, so no one will use that definition. They will use the logical definition which is a downward sending attack aka Meteor Smash.

So basically if you use the definition of "non-cancellable meteor smash" for the word "spike" in Brawl, then it is like using the definition "Cloud is a FF7 character" in Super Mario Bros. Hopefully none of us are dumb enough to do that right?

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
Your making a fuss over nothing really I don't see the problem of using the term 'spike' but making a thread just over this one word is a bit silly even though its wildly used alot.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This thread is kinda silly, Yuna. I use the word "spike" because it's short and descriptive. Do I really have to change my terminology just because someone thinks it's not completely accurate?

Also, at high enough percents, sometimes characters die before being able to meteor cancel.

Also, you can still "spike" on water stages such as pirate ship. I use Ganon on that stage specifically for sea-spikes.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Pft, this does not even concern me.

I don't even use the "terms" you guys use.

Sheiks chain is "tentacle ****."

Falcons Knee is "Justice Knee."

Ganon's choke is "wife beater."

Everything Ness does is PK StahSTAAAAAAHHHHMMM.

I refer to meteors as "CHARLEH BROWN!!!"

Samus shoots a kamahameha.

Lucario shoots a hadouken.

Short hop is partial jump.

Fast fall is "lead foot."

Twist attacks are "twizzlers."

Combos are "tootsie rolls."

Sidesteps are "p*ssyfootin'."

C-stick "C*ntsmashin."

Ganon's Dair is "senile stomp."

Kirbys suplex is "victim."

etc etc etc.

old king coal

Smash Journeyman
In SSB64, there was no Meteor Canceling. But there were still Meteor Smashes. For Melee, Meteor Canceling was added. Certain Meteor Smashes could be Meteor Canceled.

But the community didn't want to have to say "Non-cancellable Meteor Smash" when referring to Meteor Smashes that could not be canceled so the term "Spike" was invented. This term was entirely made up by the community and has no basis in the game itself, but that's not the point here. Soon, people equated all Meteor Smashes to Spikes and the term "Spike" started being used even for the MS:es that could be MSC:ed.

The point is that in Brawl all Meteor Smashes can be Meteor Canceled. The term "Spike" has now become obsolete. There are no Spikes in Brawl. Only Meteor Smashes. There's absolutely no reason to cling onto a term for something that's not even in the game anymore to describe a type of attack which has an actual name.

So I petition the community to please stop using the term Spike, as there are people who will mistakingly think that because the term "Spike" is used, it means it cannot be MSC:ed.
does it really matter that much?

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice

C-stick "C*ntsmashin."

etc etc etc.
also, i say we adopt this method

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
Bloody hell, get over it.

What about Ike's Aether spike?

I'm pretty sure that's not a meteor smash.

And besides, who cares if somebody says "spike". We all know what they mean. Let's not get bogged down in semantics eh?

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
If you wanna talk formally, say Meteor. If you wanna talk casually, say spike. 'Nuff said.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Imagine what people would say if Yuna didn't have a blue name and 7,000 posts.
Something along the lines of, "Wtf ur noob...spikes r awsome cuz it hits them down to the under line and die fast i bet i culd beat u on wifi easy noob"

Anyway, I kinda have to agree with Yuna. Spikes HAVE grown a bit out of place. BUT. I still think the term "Spike" could be used to some extent. For example, in volleyball one team sets up a spike, and "spikes" it. Spikes aren't unstoppable, the defending team does a certain "move" to deflect/cancel the spike. Thus, the "spike" failed.

The same goes for Brawl. That deflection/cancel can be in effect for spikes, in the specific name of meteor cancel.

I'm not trying to be a professor or anything, but that's what I think.

EvonJ

Smash Cadet
Personally, if someone calls it a "spike" I backhand them and usually follow up with a kick to the ribs. Because even though I know EXACTLY what they are talking about and spike sounds really freaking cool, it really bugs me if people call things by names other than what they might be technically called.

Call it a "Falcon Paaaaawnch" instead of "Falcon Punch", regardless of how much more awesome the first one is, and I'll hurt you...

Oh, and this thread is dumb.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I'm probaly leaving these boards until people start using meteor smash. This is a whole problem that's making me consider quiting the internet completely.

Crow!

Smash Lord
@ BBQ: yes, it can. But look for the original thread about meteor canceling in Brawl.. Yuna's post will make much more sense then.

I'm actually going to take the same input data and arrive at the reverse conclusion: I say the term meteor smash should be discontinued, not spike. "Spike" is an intuitive term that anyone who understands English can understand; if you spike a newbie with, say, Yoshi's fair and excitedly exclaim "Spike!", their response is likely to be "How did you make that a spike? It just sends people away for me...". If you instead shout "I just meteor smashed you!", a much more likely response would be "What's a meteor smash?" Spike is furthermove a single syllable word, which is very important when most of your brain is focused on playing smash properly.

Further, the term Meteor Smash no longer has any basis in the game from the best I can tell. Looking through the instruction book and then the trophy gallery revealed no references to the term; I recall Melee had some references to meteors in the trophy gallery, but nothing here, nothing in the instructions, and nothing in the in game "how to play" video.

Also, as someone who arrived in the Smash scene during Melee, I have a different take on the term Meteor Smash: intuitively, I understood it as a term that specifically referred to those attacks which had the strange property of having the hitstun be instantly negated with a certain "meteor cancel" action. Spikes were the ordinary attacks that, well, spiked people; meteor smashes were the oddballs. In Brawl, there is no particular attack that has this special property; to my understanding (and the point of this thread is that), any attack which happens to be sending you downward obeys the same ruleset. It's just that, like trying to use dair or a B move or jumping to save yourself when being launched up and to the side, the game operates on different rules than usual when you get hit, in this case downward, allowing certain actions before certain other actions, and with certain extra restrictions.

If we want to keep the term "meteor cancel" for legacy reasons, I say that's fine since the practical usage of spike canceling is, to the best I can tell, much more rare than it would at first seem (from my experience, most stages are such that even proper spike canceling won't save most characters from most spikes), so that only more advanced players (who are willing to use obscure, sometimes acronymed terms like ISJR already) actually need to deal with the concept. But for general use, I advocate "spike", not meteor smash.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Not sure it's really all that big of a deal whether it'a referred to as a "spike" or "meteor smash", imho.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Further, the term Meteor Smash no longer has any basis in the game from the best I can tell. Looking through the instruction book and then the trophy gallery revealed no references to the term; I recall Melee had some references to meteors in the trophy gallery, but nothing here, nothing in the instructions, and nothing in the in game "how to play" video.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/basic/basic10.html

It is mentioned on the official site (written by Sakurai) but who cares what people call it.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
To everyone making references to other community terms such as teching and ftilts: these are not the same as spiking and meteor cancelling. Meteor cancelling and spiking are two different things, while calling a Strong attack an Ftilt is referring to the same thing.

Axelguy4realz

Smash Cadet

C-stick "C*ntsmashin."

etc etc etc.