• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Bin (Dynamite Dux)
Render credit to nibroc-rock
Bin is the main character in the Sega arcade game Dynamite Düx. When his owner Lucy is kidnapped by the evil Sorcerer Achacha, Bin and another Duck must go on an adventure to rescue her. The game is a beat em up filled with Tex Avery inspired cartoon chaos. It was actually developed by Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki.

Bin would be based off the game, having a wacky moveset involving various references to the game, and of course, Dynamite.

Alternate costumes could include Pin, the player two Duck and Bean the Dynamite from Sonic the Fighters, who was based on Bin and Pin, and even had Bin as an alternative costume in Fighters Megamix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I was torn between two picks - one of them was Bin and he's already submitted. And I just so happen to have a writeup ready for the other one cause I just submitted them for the football thread lol

Job #162: Mary from Quartet
Mary-Score-Card-Girl.png

Quartet was an arcade game released by SEGA for their System 16 board in 1986. The game was a multiplayer run-and-gun that followed a group of 4 interstellar warriors - Joe, Lee, Edgar and our girl Mary - who have to clear out the space colony Zero-6 of the space pirates that have invaded it and retrieve the late Princess Cynthia's casket. The game's most notable feature was its 4-player co-op gameplay, which was heavily advertised and one of the most notable aspects of the game. Now then, this game does tend to be hailed as one of SEGA's many arcade classics from the 80s - not to the level of something like OutRun or Space Harrier, but certainly a pretty noteworthy game that has earned its place in the annals of SEGA history. It's one of the many games that SEGA often go back to when they feel like referencing some old ****, especially with regards to its soundtrack, which is rather prominent in both other SEGA games and various albums they've released (Quartet Theme and FM Funk being the two big iconic tracks in particular). I'd say it's definitely worthy of some representation in a SEGA crossover.

I picked Mary cause she strikes me as the more iconic of the 4, having been one of the two to make it to the MS port alive and always being the one that shows up in other things. Mary has a jetpack and she has a gun. So she could definitely be a fun fighter! I dig her design and Quartet is a really cool game that doesn't really get discussed for these things despite clearly being a game that SEGA like giving the nod to. She would be Epic

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Fellas, fellas, I think it is about time we start voting.

Here are the characters we have:

Centurion ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Neff ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Harrier ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Joe Musashi ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Pengo ( osby osby )
Ricky and Mary ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Niño ( tonygameman tonygameman , original submission by osby osby )
Princess Kurumi ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds , original submission by tonygameman tonygameman )
Borderline Soldier ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Psycho Fox ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Bin (@Darkonedagger)
Mary (meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Joe Musashi - Shinobi is a killer cool series and I can't help it, my favorite ninja is the old school one!
2. Princess Kurumi - She is a choice that very much sparks joy. It'd be extremely cool to see her in this game somehow.
3. Ricky and Mary - I love Alien Syndrome! I have a real soft spot for that hardcore 80s/90s sci-fi vibe.

This is such a tough round for me. It breaks my heart that I can't vote for Harrier, my personal bias pick, or Pengo, or Mary, or... Anyway, everyone should be proud of their submissions!

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
1. Harrier (In the words of the immortal Kazuma Kiryu "LET'S...HARRIER...")
2. Neff (I never would have thought of this guy but this rhino man has a very good presence and I dig it. I think a really good hoss like him could at a lot. At the very least, I would like to get this guy in if Centurion gets in.)
3. Joe Musashi (I am just excited at the idea of a Shinobi round...)

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Fellas, fellas, I think it is about time we start voting.

Here are the characters we have:

Centurion ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Neff ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
Harrier ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Joe Musashi ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )
Pengo ( osby osby )
Ricky and Mary ( OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos )
Niño ( tonygameman tonygameman , original submission by osby osby )
Princess Kurumi ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds , original submission by tonygameman tonygameman )
Borderline Soldier ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Psycho Fox ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Bin (@Darkonedagger)
Mary (meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

Vote for your top 3 picks - keep your own submission in third place if you're going to self-vote.
Whenever you do the meeeeeeeeeeee, it reminds of the napoleon me jingle from the history of the entire world I guess

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. Princess Kurumi: I love this early heroine. I'd honestly put Kurumi in everything if I had the chance. She's just my favourite Sega Ninja.
  2. Bin: I adore cartoons. I'm quite fond of ducks. I love wacky cartoon antics, so naturally Bin appeals to me massively. In fact he's so good I was going to submit him two times in a row as he was my original backup after Zillion and I put him forward for Crazy Taxi...if he actually makes it, I may need to alter that NPC...
  3. Psycho Fox: There may be admittedly more important characters but I'll be damned if I'm not going to let him get at least one point.
Honourable mentions to...well everyone actually. This has been a very good round for an early Sega fan like myself!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, so.....here's the deal.

One of the characters is winning by a landslide. And most people have already voted. It's very clear who's gonna win. So I have made the decision to end the vote early:

Centurion: 6 points
Neff: 7 points
Harrier: 7 points
Joe: 26 points
Pengo: 4 points
Alien Syndrome people: 1 points
Niño: 3 points
Kurumi: 14 points
Soldier: 0 points
PF: 1 points
Bin: 7 points
Mary: 2 points

Indeed, our next fighter is going to be none other than Joe Musashi!!!!!!

We will now begin to cover Shinobi content. Starting with:

Job #163: Submit a moveset for Joe

joe mama

Please remember the Sacred Moveset Format:

-General playstyle overview
-Notable normal attacks
-Specials and All-Star Move
-Misc. info, like taunts and palette swaps and such

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #163: Joe Musashi (Shinobi)

Moveset:

General playstyle:
Joe Musashi is a fast, combo-oriented character with a good reach on his normal attacks thanks to his sword Oborozuki. These are balanced with his low stamina and high end lag on his faster moves. He can wall cling and wall jump.

Notable normal attacks: Musashi’s normal attacks are mostly carried out with his ninja katana Oborozuki, though he’ll make use of kicks in several of his attacks. His jab is his three-hit sword combo while his forward smash is his charged slash attack.

Specials moves:

Neutral Special: Shuriken. Musashi quickly flings a shuriken directly forward on the ground and diagonally downward in the air. It takes some time for him to throw another one but they have a high hit stun on contact. If Musashi holds the button in the air, he can use a Fireball where he launches eight flaming projectiles all around him. However, this technique can be used only once before he lands and increases his landing lag significantly.

Side Special: Inazuma. Musashi slashes in front of him with his sword and causes three bolts of lightning to strike in front of him. These bolts can combo into each other at certain opponents.

Down Special: Bunshin. Musashi creates a copy of himself in a burst of smoke. This clone will copy his movement with some delay and can attack with highly reduced damage. Musashi takes damage if the clone is hit and can only use it again after a long charging period.

Up Special: Tatsumaki. Musashi forms a hand seal and creates a small tornado under himself to launch him upward. The tornado pulls opponents in and hits them multiple times before launching them away.

All-Star Move: Mijin no Jutsu. Musashi runs a hand through Oborozuki’s blade, which starts to glow with a blue aura. He then plunges it into the ground, dragging nearby opponents down with him if he’s in the air. Upon impact, Musashi will cast a forbidden technique that vibrates the entire floor of the stage, burying anyone it touches and dealing heavy damage before launching them. There’s no limit to how many times he can cast this technique in a match but some say that if used too many times, the user of this move would be trapped in the subatomic dimension.

Other:

Aesthetics:
Musashi is based on his Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed appearance where his design carries aspects of Jiro Musashi. He has color palette swaps based on other Shinobi protagonists such as Hibana, Hotsuma, and Jiro Musashi, as well as enemies in the series like Neo Zeed. He’s voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa in Asia and Casey Robertson in other regions.

Entrance animation: Musashi appears in a cloud of smoke and fire, doing a hand seal before brandishing his sword.

Taunts:

Taunt 1: Musashi takes out a scroll, inspects it, and then pockets it back. Depending on the special he last used, this taunt may have a wind, fire, or lightning effect.
Taunt 2: Musashi does a short knife trick with a kunai, saying “Come get me.”
Taunt 3: Musashi performs nine hand seals while also chanting their names: Rin, Pyou, Tou, Sha, Kai, Jin, Retsu, Zai, Zen.”

Victory Animations:

Victory theme: A short excerpt from Destroyed by Fire

Victory 1: Musashi rides on a motorbike before jumping from it and launching gracefully after an aerial front flip.
Victory 2: Musashi stands and slashes forward with his sword a few times as shadow clones all around him jump, run and attack. He sheathes his sword, dispels his clones, and says “Pathetic.” or “…is that your best?”
Victory 3: Musashi stands with his back turned to the camera. He briefly looks at the screen and says "You fought well." before vanishing.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Shinobi Capsule Toys:

Jiro Musashi
Debut:Shinobi 3D
System Debut:Nintendo 3DS

Hotsuma
Debut:Shinobi '02
System Debut: Playstation 2

Hibana
Debut:Nightshade

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Couple of Questions:
  1. Will this game have DLC?
  2. I noticed that Arcade Mode was a interesting thing we mentioned but never got back to. Will ever get back to that to submit Arcade Mode Ideas to the other characters?

D

Deleted member

Couple of Questions:
  1. Will this game have DLC?
  2. I noticed that Arcade Mode was a interesting thing we mentioned but never got back to. Will ever get back to that to submit Arcade Mode Ideas to the other characters?
1. Yes
2. Could be wrong but i think the plan is do to stuff like that once the base roster is done

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alllllllllllrighty then, osby's moveset for Joe Mama wins by default!!!

Moving on:

Job #164: Submit a Shinobi stage

ninja ninja rap

ninja ninja rap

ninja ninja rap

go go go go

go ninja go ninja go

go ninja go ninja go

Anyway, there's probably something I should mention: from now on, I'd reccommend you start paying attention to the stages we already have, not just when submitting but also when voting. I say this because we're starting to gain some noticeable thematic and aesthetic overlap in our stages (namely a lot of darker, final dungeon-y stages) and I'd like to nip this problem in the bud as soon as possible. I hate to go all Speed Weed-Mandated Stage Submissions on yall, but I want to make sure we have a diverse, well-rounded stage lineup and right now we're in danger of having too much of the same thing.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #164: Shinobi Stage - Path of the Shinobi

The original idea for a stage came from this page.

This traveling stage (fits for what was said in a previous post) is based entirely on the third Shinobi game which was released on SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive in 1993, Shinobi III: The Ninja Master. It will take fighters through four different stages with a transition between areas occuring via a time warp, causing the screen to distort in a wave pattern, akin to Castle Siege in Brawl. Unlike Fantasy Zone, the player cannot choose areas when selecting a stage and it always starts in the first area.
  • First Area: Zeed's Resurrection - A scrolling forest similar to Mushroomy Kingdom and Pac-Land, which has various tree limbs that players can use as platforms. Crates can be destroyed to pick up a random item or a throwable timer bomb that explodes after five seconds. Players can also fall off pitfalls if they're not careful and occasionally, enemies (who all in each area can be turned off with "hazard toggle") will appear such as:
    • Ninja - Perches on tree branches and crouches in grass to make themselves less visible. Attacks fighters by throwing small shurikens at them and can be easily defeated with one hit.
    • Kunoichi - Attacks fighters by jumping above them and then attempts to him them with an aerial downwards stab with their katana. Can be defeated with only one attack like Ninja.
    • Komuso - Walks around slowly and occasionally shoots poisonous darts, which deals 1% damage over time for five seconds. Can be attacked by two hits before going down, unlike fellow enemies in this area.
  • Second Area: Body Weapon - A laboratory with three platforms that also act as conveyor belts, which occasionally shift their rotation to disorient fighters/players and the Zeed army's various bio-weapons in the background. Below these platforms is a green chemical liquid that causes damage when a player falls into it, much like lava in some stages from the Super Smash Bros. series. Like in a previous area, this stage also has a couple of enemies acting as hazards.
    • Brain Fly - Occasionally flies in from off-screen and lunges into players in it's path. Despite going down in one hit, the Brain Fly is a small and swift target that may be difficult to hit at times.
    • Radioactive Waste Zombie - Raises from the green chemical liquid and tosses out a green, gelatinous projectile that bounces and causes moderate damage. They can also melt into the liquid and move instantly to the another part of it. They will die after being hit four times.
  • Third Area: Destruction - Based on the famous surfboard stage in Shinobi III: The Ninja Master, this area takes place in a large Final Destination-styled platform that quickly travels across a river so fast that players cannot get back quick, similarly to Big Blue in Melee. Occasionally, ramps will show up in water which will make the platform gain a bit of air time. Smaller aircrafts will also appear above the stage to act as additional platforms. This area is the only one, which doesn't have enemy hazards.
  • Fourth Area: Traps - A chasm which has falling boulders acting as initial platforms, that slowly scroll downwards and eventually fall off-screen, pretty much being a semi-climbing stage like Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls from Smash. Fighters can easily get cheeky KO's by using their meteor-smash attacks on other players, with item boxes also showing up and enemies occasionally appearing like:
    • Black Garbed Ninja - Identical to the first area's Ninja, but their shurikens does more damage and takes two hits rather than one.
    • Winged Ninja - Flies around and occasionally tosses shurikens, attacking fighters by ramming into them. They can be brought down in three hits.
    • Karura - A mini-boss that has a low chance of appearing like Yellow Devil in Wily Castle. It will line up falling boulders to make a Battlefield-styled stage when doing so and fly around while shooting sharp feathers at players. It can also transform it's body into a sawblade, moving around the stage at high speeds. To defeat Karura, fighters has to hit it twelve times with their attacks before it goes down.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Job #164: Oboro Dojo

Dojo.png

Based on the first stage in 'The Revenge of Shinobi', this stage teleports you to the home base of Joe's clan, the Oboro Ninja Clan, under attack. At another time, you can imagine it being a place of zen for those of the clan. It starts out with a warm setting sun, to have a beautiful look at its sandy and grassy environments, its bonsai and bamboo trees, and its light towers, but as you fight on the stage, the sun sets for good, and we get a crescent moon rising up from behind the stage on a part of it not blocked by the dojo itself.

Dojo2.png

Of course this IS Shinobi, and it wouldn't be Shinobi without high jumps, so you can jump on top of the dojo in this one. Watch out for members of Neo Zeed stepping onto the stage. You're not only fighting each other in this, but also a swarm of enemies (that can be turned off with a hazard toggle).

dojo3.jpg
-Omotes: Dressed in green, ready to pop out and strike you with a shuriken. These are the most common ones seen on the stage and can appear from the top of the bamboo trees, from behind rocks attached to bamboo, and from a revolving wall outside of the dojo. They are eliminated in one hit, so not too much of an issue.

dojo4.png
-Karasu: Flying versions of the Omote dressed in black that show up after the sky has turned to night. Their large batwings take them across the stage where they throw shurikens at three specific, telegraphed sections of the stage. They are gone quick, but if you want to stop them before they can get out a shuriken, you certainly can

dojo5.png
-Kabuto: A slow-moving samurai figure dressed in red who appears from the sides. In exchange, he takes three hits to eliminate instead of one, and his sword does more damage than the shuriken.

Lastly, I'm imagining this as a walk-off stage, so between that and the enemies providing stage hazards, make sure you're watching your step. Being at a ninja's dojo means the threat of danger is always near.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
im resubmitting this because no one payed attention to this last time
Shinobi Capsule Toys:

Jiro Musashi
Debut:Shinobi 3D
System Debut:Nintendo 3DS

Hotsuma
Debut:Shinobi '02

Hibana
Debut:Nightshade

Capsule Submission time!

• Doctor (Two Point Doctor)
  • Series: Two Point Hospital
  • System Debut: Multiplatform (PC, PS 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch)
  • First Appearance: Two-Point Hospital (30 August, 2018)

Description: The Doctor from Two Point Hospital is one of doctors that you could meet while being inside the hospital. He cures people from random diseases that exist in the games. However, the game is about building the hospital and if the hospital is bigger, then more doctors and patients appear.
Doctor from Two Point Hospital is now a capsule Toy that appears in your collection of Capsule Toys. I hope he would cure a toy from being sick...

- Gemini Sunrise (Sakura Wars)
  • Series: Sakura Wars
  • System Debut:
Playstation 2
- First Appearance: Sakura Wars V: So long, My love

Description: "Yee-haw!" Just kidding. Gemini Sunrise is main character or Sakura Wars V and she is is cowboy that controls her Mecha and wields a sword along with her gun. She comes from Texas, United States and she has American-Japanese heritage according to informations in game. She was born in 1911 and she was trained by her master Mifune that made her stronger. However, she has her alter-ego named Geminine that she appears inside of her as part of Gemini's split-personality.
She even let her master Mifune to sacrifice himself from Ranmaru that wants to get to the book and Mifune stopped him.
In game, if Shinjiro chooses her as love interest, she reveals to be a nameless nun that came from group consisting of five nuns.
She appears now as Capsule Toy in your collection. Yee-Haw, my pardner and let's go see your collection right now!

- BD Joe and Taxi (Crazy Taxi)
  • Series: Crazy Taxi
  • System Debut: Arcade
  • First Appearance: Crazy Taxi

Description: This driver is really crazy, because the game itself is named Crazy Taxi! BD Joe is main character and Taxi driver from Crazy Taxi games. He is a driver that delivers people where they want and they pay him dollars, which is very cool.
He travels through the west coast with his Yellow Iconic Taxi Cab to help people to get to their destinations like Barbers or random places. He also appeared in other SEGA games like SEGA Superstars, Sega Allstars Racing and now-defunct SEGA Heroes due to the series' popularity.
He appears now as a capsule Toy! If you got him, he'll lead you to the your destination: Capsule Toy along with his Taxi.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, it is time to vote!!!!!!!

Here are our candidates:

Path of the Shinobi ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Oboro Dojo ( PuyoWitch PuyoWitch )

Here's the poll:

Now then, I do want us to have something else going on while the vote happens, but we can't really do tracklists until the stage is decided. So I'm actually gonna switch the order up a bit this time:

Job #165: Submit a Shinobi assist

That's right, we're doing the assist job first this time! Reminder that whoever wins will be disconfirmed and uhhhhhh yeah that's it pretty much

Job 165:
Ninja Master (Shinobi)

Ninja Master is a Final boss and Antagonist of 2 first Shinobi games. He is a Elder Ninja that purged the Oboro clan in the past and Joe Musashi defeated him in 2 Games.

When summoned, he would act like in Games like he could whip his hair at opponents (Occasionally he could throw them at random directions) and he throws shurikens at opponents. However he throws them straight at opponents and the shurikens can be deflected at him, which he could be KOed because of that.

I picked him, because I didn't want to choose a character based on Godzilla or Batman, since they're not owned by SEGA, especially as boss cameos in Revenge of Shinobi...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #165: Ageha (Shinobi)
1647077615672.png

Ageha is a kunoichi who acts as an antagonist to Hotsuma in Shinobi (2002), with whom she once was friends. After feeling betrayed by their clan Oboro, she goes rogue, kickstarting the chain of events that lead to the game's main conflict.

As an assist character, Ageha doesn't care about serving her summoner and instead chooses to pick her own battles. She won't touch anyone who attacks her summoner but will retaliate harshly to any fighter who touches her with Ohkajin, swiftly striking from all angles in the shape of a pink blur.

D

Deleted member

eb430250dbf5ba71a99d159d8e5c56db.png

Shadow
Shadow Dancer is a spin off game from the Shinobi franchise, released in 1989 for the Arcades. It follows an unnamed Ninja on a quest to defeat evil. However. This assist will not be the Ninja. But rather, the dog who follows him through the game. When summoned the dog will appear in sprite form beside the player and the player can sick them on an opponent.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
SHINOBI ASSIST: HOTSUMA

Hotsuma is the main protagoinst of the 2002 Shinobi Reboot. When he is selected, Hotsuma will try to take you out as fast as possible. The reason why? His sword Akujiki feeds on souls. If he is not satisfied soon, he will feed on the soul of Hotsuma. Or you know, he could vanish like the other assists. That can also happen.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Various Villain Capsule Toys:

Keiji Shibusawa
Debut:Yakuza 0
System Debut: Playstation 3

Arahabaki
Debut:Sakura Wars PS4
System Debut: Playstation 4

Mr.X
Debut:Streets of Rage
System Debut:Mega Drive/Genesis

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Shinobi Assist: Web-Bat

A shape-shifting ninja warrior with the ability to take the form of characters that just barely avoid copyright infringement. Web-Bat will start off in his famous red and blue pink outfit, shooting webs to immobilize the opponent. (you can break out of these by button-mashing) After firing webs, he'll transform into some kind of bat man a demon and fly across the stage to ram into whoever's directly in front of him.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Top Bottom