• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Job #133: Chris Parton (Burning Rangers)

CB4BDB15-4C2F-4688-9732-BF6A6EB43C56.jpeg

I already explained what Burning Rangers was when we did the minigame round a while back, so I won’t get too deep into the nitty gritty here. What we will talk about is the brains of the Rangers, Chris Parton. Chris is considered to be the brains of the group, mostly focusing on navigation. As a child, her father died trying to save people from a chemical fire, and since then she grew up to become a Burning Ranger herself to carry on her father’s legacy. She mainly takes on the role of the team’s navigator, briefing them on their latest missions and guiding them through buildings.

Truth be told, I’m mainly submitting Chris here because I’m kicking myself for not submitting her as a menu guide when that round was going on. Burning Rangers was unique for its voice navigation system in lieu of a traditional map, and Chris was the main face of that mechanic. Regardless, I think she would work just as well for the mission giver role, given her place as the one who gives out instructions to the rest of the Rangers.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #133: Mobo & Robo, the Bonanza Bros.

Bonanza-Bros-Mission-Giver.png

"Hey you gang of clowns, you better listen up because the boss has a little job for you. Complete it and you can nab yourself some valuable treasure."

"And if you refuse...well let's just say you don't want to refuse"

That's right, Mobo and Robo, the infamous Bonanza Bros will turn up once a month, sneaking across the screen trying to get your attention in tiny sprite like form, with a new mission from 'The Boss'.
When selected, Mobo and Robo will hold up a screen that their mysterious benefactor will deliver the mission from, although due to the brother's height difference the boss is always lopsided whilst handing out these missions.

The Brothers start off quite aggressive towards you, but as you fulfill more of the bosses requests, they'll begin to ease up around you threatening you less with their weapons, and become more at ease, even goofing off a little whilst the boss gives the instructions out, or attempting to hold the screen steady in different ways.

Job #133: Mobo & Robo, the Bonanza Bros.

View attachment 343242

"Hey you gang of clowns, you better listen up because the boss has a little job for you. Complete it and you can nab yourself some valuable treasure."

"And if you refuse...well let's just say you don't want to refuse"

That's right, Mobo and Robo, the infamous Bonanza Bros will turn up once a month, sneaking across the screen trying to get your attention in tiny sprite like form, with a new mission from 'The Boss'.
When selected, Mobo and Robo will hold up a screen that their mysterious benefactor will deliver the mission from, although due to the brother's height difference the boss is always lopsided whilst handing out these missions.

The Brothers start off quite aggressive towards you, but as you fulfill more of the bosses requests, they'll begin to ease up around you threatening you less with their weapons, and become more at ease, even goofing off a little whilst the boss gives the instructions out, or attempting to hold the screen steady in different ways.
I mean, they could also work as Fighters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean, they could also work as Fighters.
Oh, absolutely they could.

I just really like the idea of the missions being a shady dealing for a crime boss who promises you big rewards in exchange, and the Bonanza Bros. fit that theme very well whilst being comedic enough to give some levity to the whole schtick that I don't feel we'd get from more realistic crimelords characters.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
  1. The Bonanza Bros. (I absolutely adore the premise of these monthly missions being sketchy odd-jobs that you’re pressured into carrying out by a pair of criminals. It lends itself well to a lot of comedic potential and you could have a lot of fun with it)
  2. DJ Professor K (Cmon, is Professor K! You know I have to rep my boy! If he gets implemented, I’d love to see each monthly mission being introduced with an Off The Hook-style show with Professor K as the host)
  3. Elizabeth (While I would generally prefer to see an in-house Sega peep get this spot for now, Liz is way too fun of a character for me not to shout her out. I’d love to see what kind of funny comments she’d make about the other fighters and you could probably come up with some sort of wacky sub-plot of these missions being a way to help Liz understand humanity or something)

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
This was the hardest one yet for me. Everyone did too good a job because I really want to see all of them show up in some form. That said, I managed to narrow down a top 3.

1. Chris (I have such a soft spot for Burning Rangers and the Saturn. I'd be really happy to see her as a rep for it.)
2. Elizabeth (It'd be really cool if the other Velvet Room attendants made cameos, too, but I do love Elizabeth, and she's a very strong character for this role.)
3. Klug (I like the choice of him because he's from a popular game, and the reason he would give out the missions makes sense, but he's not who you would immediately think of, and that makes him stand out to me. It's a perfect role for this weird, smug kid.)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
1. Chris - I love her and I love Burning Rangers, and I really think she suits the role and would make for some suitably amusing segments.

2. The Bonanza Bros - A wacky shady comedic skit reminiscent of old gangster films or Abbot & Costello giving you dubious missions that may or may not involve "rubbing out" certain roster members just tickles me.

3. DJ Professor K - He's the boy! And having a prominent role for him allows him to have all kinds of great, crazy skits and "radio broadcasts" to announce the missions, plus he could host a little news feed at the bottom discussing future updates and news!

This was super difficult - I'm so sad I couldn't vote for Elizabeth as she's genuinely one of my favorite characters ever and would be amazing in this role, and I'm a fan of every other submission too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. Dr. Games: Thematically him having a similar NPC role to his far better known counterpart Professor Asobin makes sense to me and him being this weird obscure mascot that nobody really talks about naturally appeals to my mascot loving sensibilities. An inclusion here would also put all the officially recognised Sega mascots in the game with some sort of role.

2. DJ Professor K: I've made it no secret I love this guy. Truth be told the DJ is quite versatile and could be used for anything from announcing to sound tests to menus to missions to...well anything. We absolutely need this guy and his DJing style in Battle of Ages somewhere.

3. Chris: Burning Rangers is very good. Whilst I'm not sure if we'll manage to get either of the lead protagonists into the base roster, I'd very much like to see Burning Rangers celebrated in some context and Chris fits the bill rather well here.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, let's take a look at the vote:

Liz: 7 points
Witch: 3 points
Klug: 2 points
Omochao: 2 points
Dr. Games: 10 points
Prof. K: 14 points
Chris: 17 points
Bonanzas: 11 points

And as you can see, we now have another character joining the cast of major NPCs in Battle of AGES: and that's gonna be Chris Parton!!!!

And now we'll move on to our next character job - and this one's a twofer:

Job #134: Submit a SEGA character who appeared in the All-Stars games and a SEGA character who wasn't in the All-Stars games

So I think one of the eternal struggles that have been discussed with regards to this project is how much pull the All-Stars games should have in our decision-making. In my opinion? Not a lot. I really don't think they should be treated as gospel and we already have more than enough rosters that do exactly that. I want us to do our own thing. That said, the All-Stars games do still have good character choices worth looking into for our roster. So I thought it'd be nice to dedicate something to the characters from there that we could add! However, on the other side of the coin, I'm asking you to also submit a character who has not been in those games. Cause again, we shouldn't treat them as gospel and there are plenty of potential fresh faces worth considering. Anyway yeah!

Couple things to keep in mind:

-Keep your submissions to characters from series we haven't included in our roster yet

-Your "never been in All-Stars" pick can come from a series that was in those games, as long as the character themselves wasn't. For example, if we hadn't included a HotD rep yet, you could've submitted Busujima for this side of the prompt even though HotD as a series was in those games.

And that's it. ok now bye

Job 134:
Non-SEGA Allstars Racing:
SPACE HARRIER (Space Harrier)

Who is Space Harrier?
Space Harrier
is Main Protagonist of SEGA's very popular Rail-Shooter Arcade title named after him in 1985. Harrier is a Galactic Hero, who travels from planet to planet while killing Extraterrestrial threats like IDAs, Squillas, Mammoths and other aliens, who appeared in Space Harrier series.
Space Harrier has 4 games, while 1 of them is a Spinoff. The games are Space Harrier (Original), Space Harrier 3-D, Space Harrier II and Planet Harriers.

Space Harrier is a blond dude, who flies with his Signature weapon that kills enemies like I said earlier. Originally he wasn't created when SEGA was making Space Harrier in form of Fighter Jet Simulator game, but due to Hardware Limitations, it became a rail shooter with Human called Space Harrier, where he flies through Fantasy land opposing to Realistic foregrounds.
Harrier's appearance was inspired by 80's Anime and Manga like Yu Suzuki said in his Interview back then, which it makes him as "Anime Styled" Fighter in Battle of AGES.

Harrier's game was so popular that his legacy is existent and he and his games have camoes in other SEGA games like there was a Mining game based on Space Harrier in Sega Superstar Tennis and even Space Harrier did a Cameo as Hologram in "Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed" on "Race and AGES" track (Cool isn't it?).

Space Harrier is even canon to Fantasy Zone universe, which it was mentioned is Fantasy Zone games and there was a crossover with Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone at some point, but it was canceled for unknown reason.
That would be even cool if He and Opa-Opa could interact with each other while fighting.

How Space Harrier would work on Platform Fighter?
Space Harrier
could be Middleweight "Zoner" character, who could have moveset that consist Ranged Attacks like Projectiles that he shoots from the Gun. He could also uses enemies from Space Harrier like IDAs as Side Smash for example, which it makes some similarities to Pacman.
Space Harrier could have moves taken from Power Ups like Flash Bomb from PS2 Remake as Down B for example. (Credit to Tonygameman for idea!)
Space Harrier could have great mobility in Air and Ground, but he could be little bit slippery Fighter in game.
His Allstars Move could be, where he calls Uriah and he flies on it across the Screen, damaging opponents (Credit to Tonygameman).
His Gimmick could be flying, which he could hover like Peach or Daisy in Smash for while. However, it is be interrupted by Aerial Attacks. He could also have Air Dash, where he Dashes at 8 Directions.

Harrier could use his Design from SEGA 3D Classics Box Art and his alts are inspired by Space Harrier games like one of his alts could reference Opa-Opa (Because of his universe being close to Fantasy Zone).

Why Space Harrier as new character?
Do you wanna know why Space Harrier needs to be in Base Roster.
Here are some explanations:
  • Space Harrier could be another Arcade Rep in Battle of AGES, but he could have Historical link to SEGA, since his inclusion would allude to his popularity back in 80's on Arcades.
  • Space Harrier could have unique moveset and he could be first Fighter that can float in air.
  • Space Harrier would be another Retro Rep that it's franchise is Dormant, but still timeless.
  • People also want him in SEGA Smash Clones, so his chance could really happen.
  • Space Harrier's franchise could have some interesting Representation like the Assist could be Dark Harrier, which he could act like Andross from Smash.
There a lot of reasons why Harrier should be in the Game and that's why I nominate him as Character, who didn't appeared in SEGA Allstars games and he needs to be in the Roster.

Final Words:
I hope you guys understood my submission about Harrier, especially Speed Weed. I put a lot of Effort and I want him in roster, so let this really happen.

SEGA ALLSTARS Racing CHARACTER:
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe)

Who is Gillius Thunderhead
Gillius Thunderhead
is one of Main charactes from popular Golden Axe series, which it debuted on Arcade. It takes place in land of Yuria during Hyborian Era and 3 Heroes need to fight through the land to get into Adder's Lair and Defeat him like in Beat'em up games.
His series got some games in 90's and 3 in 2000's, which is actually interesting.

Gillius is Miner Dwarf, who Attacks with Axe and sometimes rides on Chicken Leg monsters.
He appeared as Playable Character along Ax Battler, Tyris Flare in Golden Axe on Arcades.

He and his games are really popular that his legacy keeps existing by appearing in other SEGA games like "Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed" (Interestingly, he was originally planned to be in Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing, but he was Scrapped from Roster and came back to Transformed later) and he appeared in now-discontinued game called SEGA Heroes on Mobioe phones.

How the Heck Gillius would work?
A lot of you guys are asking how the heck he could work in Fighting Game.
Well first, he could be Middleweight "Rushdown" character that doens't have any additional movement options.
His moveset could be similar to Golden Axe Fighting Game that was released in 90's, which he could use his Axe in Attacks. He could also use magic like Lightning magic as Neutral Special (Making him as Sora of Battle of AGES) or etc.
His Allstar Move could be where he calls the Tyris Flare and Ax Battler to attack the opponents in cutscene like Hero in Smash.

His design is Based on Allstars Racing Transformed Incarnation, but he would be more detailed to make him more realistic. His alts are gonna be inspired by Golden Axe character like Death Adder.

Why Gilius for Battle of AGES?
Do you guys wanna know why I want Gillius?
That's because there are a lot of Reasons I wanna tell:
  • Gillius is one of really popular GA characters and he deserves a spot on the Roster.
  • Gillius could have more unique moveset potential than other GA (Sorry OrpheusTelos and Flyboy)
  • His Inclusion would be tribute to Golden Axe games.
  • He is another SEGA Historical rep that
  • In Throgi's Arcade's video, he was in the Roster, meaning that he was very popular character back in 90' and he is still relevant to that day.
  • He definitely fits into Fighting Game as no-brainer pick.
Again, there are a lot of reasons why Gillius Thunderhead needs to be in Game in base roster as SEGA Allstars Rep.

Final Words:
Again, thank you so much for reading my submission, especially Speed Weed. Gilius and Harrier are most wanted 1st Parties for the fighting game and that's why I'm submitting them in this job.
- Takman from Newgrounds, 2022

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I really wanna think about who I wanna push on the ASR side of things, but on the non-ASR side of the spectrum you know I gotta push for Temjin again. Let’s give Aigis another cool robot friend.
Job #134: Temjin (Virtual-On: Cyber Troopers)

View attachment 338709

Temjin is a playable mech from the Virtual-On series, a series of arcade fighting games where cool mechs fight each other. It’s one of the first models of Virtualoids to be created and serves as the mascot of the series. The Saturn version of Virtual-On is notable for being one of the few games on the system that supports online play.

Now I’m no expert on Virtual-On, but it seems like one of those series that garnered a pretty decent cult following and one that Sega likes to reference pretty often. A playable version of the original arcade game can be found in Yakuza Kiwami 2, and some of the more recognizable mechs showed up in crossovers such as Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 and Senko no Ronde 2. It’s not as much of a crossover mainstay as others, but Virtual-On is a cool series that deserves some sort of recognition in our roster. Temjin is no slouch in the moveset department either, being able to utilize a beam sword, lasers, and bombs. Basically, he’s the closest thing we’d get to a Gundam in our roster and I think that’s pretty neat.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 134

Part 1

Amigo (Samba de Amigo)

The Main character of Samba De Amigo a 1999 Arcade game that gained popularity with it's ports to Dreamcast and Wii. Samba de Amigo is a Rhythm game themed after maracas and Amigo is just a fun character all around. and also Samba De Amigo has wild visuals and a complete banger of an OST

Amigo is one of the franchises that has appeared in all of the SEGA All-stars games.

In terms of gameplay, He could use his maracas and even use other characters in his attacks.

Part 2

Resubmitting Dreamcast

Job 120

Dreamcast (Sega Hard Girls)

SEGA Hard Girls or SeHa Girls is a franchise developed by SEGA to be used for merchandising and advertising. Dreamcast is a personified Dreamcast,

The SeHa Girls main piece of media was "Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls" an Anime where all of the Sega Girls attend a high school where they travel through different SEGA worlds.

The SeHa Girls were japanese exclusive until 2016 when Idea Factory and SEGA collaborated and released Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls, Which was a crossover game between Neptunia and Sega Hard Girls. This was the franchises introduction in the west and added a lot of moveset potential to characters like Dreamcast.

Between Neptunia and Hi-sCoool! the moveset of Dreamcast could be wild with references to many SEGA games and moves she used in Neptunia as well as just general sword attacks.

This is a neat and somewhat obscure piece of SEGA marketing that would be fun to reference in a Fighting Game

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Okay I won’t go too in-detail with my “has been in all stars” submission because I consider him a pretty obvious pick but… Beat from Jet Set Radio:

Jet Set Radio was a huge game for the dreamcast and is considered a cult classic to this day. Given how important and beloved JSR was to sega, not including him would be a mistake. He would fight by rolling around on roller skates and I imagine he would have attacks based on tricks and spray paint.

(Might edit this to add another character later)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if this counts or not, but considering that this character is 1/3 of the AGES character from Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...

Character who has been in a Sega All-Stars game:

Hornet (Daytona USA/Fighting Vipers/Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed)

It's a race car that "stands" on its back wheels and fights like a person. I don't know what more I have to say, honestly.

A gag character from Fighting Vipers (a crossover fighting game on the Sega Saturn), I figure it would be a nice call-back to include Hornet in this if possible.

(if this doesn't count as a veteran, feel free to disregard this nomination)

Character who hasn't been in a Sega All-Stars game:

Jack Cayman (MadWorld/Anarchy Reigns)

The reigning champion of the Death Watch tournament, Jack is as violent as you would expect a man with a chainsaw stuck to his arm to be. MadWorld is about killing your opponents in as many creative ways as possible, and while the violence would undoubtedly be toned down here, it seems like it's cartoonish enough if you take out the blood. (you can play darts by smacking people into a dartboard with a baseball bat, or stuff them into fireworks launchers to launch them into the air)

There's more to Platinum Games than just Bayonetta (though the Bayonetta games are great and I'd highly recommend them), and Jack comes from a similar time where Platinum partnered with Sega, resulting in Sega owning the character. As a character from an action-heavy game, there's tons to work with as far as a moveset goes, and the black, white, and red Sin City-style aesthetic would help Jack and his stage stand out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Resubmitting Joe.

Joe Musashi

Who doesn't love a Ninja. Joe Musashi is the main character of the Shinobi series. A Ninja from the Oboro clan, he is armed with his sword Oborozuki as well as mystical abilities he picks up on his adventures. He battles against terrorists and monsters.

Honey (Fighting Vipers)

Honey is a character from the fighting game series Fighting Vipers. She was known as Candy in some versions. A fashion student who joined a fighting tournament to promote her fashion line. Honey is technically not the main character of that game, but she became extremely popular, having dolls and other merch made of her and even having a Sonic character based on her appearing in Sonic the Fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright, I think I finally setteled on someone to submit

Job #134: Danica Patrick

198B9BC3-8C0B-4674-A7F0-6709A740752E.jpeg

Danica Patrick was an original character introduced in Sonic and All Stars Racing transformed. She’s a famous Nascar racer and GoDaddy spokesperson who showed up to compete against Sonic and friends. Fans have been clamoring for her return since her first and only appearance, and I think Battle of AGES would be the perfect opportunity to reunite her with her good pal Sonic.

... Wait what do you mean Danica Patrick’s a real person and not owned by Sega? Well ****, guess I have to go with my less cool backup plan...

Shogun (Total War)

EFA75F04-8145-4446-A48D-9870CD273C1C.jpeg

So Total War is a series of real-time tactical strategy games that was created by Creative Assembly in 2000. Although not originally a Sega property, they took the series under their wings upon acquiring Creative Assembly in 2005, and it’s been one of their most successful franchises since. While you typically wouldn’t think of Total War as one of Sega’s most iconic franchises, it currently sits as their second best-selling series right below Sonic.

So anyway, about the Shogun. Him and Willemus act as the two Total War reps for All Stars Transformed. Shogun himself is less of an actual character and more of a representation of the game’s generic units. As a fighter, he would be a pretty straightforward swordfighter who fights with his katana. To give him some extra spice, you could also have him call upon other units to assist him or give him the ability to mount on his horse.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, I think I finally setteled on someone to submit

Job #134: Danica Patrick

View attachment 343336

Danica Patrick was an original character introduced in Sonic and All Stars Racing transformed. She’s a famous Nascar racer and GoDaddy spokesperson who showed up to compete against Sonic and friends. Fans have been clamoring for her return since her first and only appearance, and I think Battle of AGES would be the perfect opportunity to reunite her with her good pal Sonic.

... Wait what do you mean Danica Patrick’s a real person and not owned by Sega? Well ****, guess I have to go with my less cool backup plan...

Death Adder

View attachment 343337

Death Adder is the main baddie of the Golden Axe series. Using the power of the titular Golden Axe, Adder was singlehandedly responsible for ushering in a new dark age and unleashing his tyranny onto the land. Although he was never playable in any of the All Stars games, Gillius has shown up in Superstars Tennis and All Stars Transformed, making Golden Axe as a series viable for this spot. Adder’s Lair was even a track in the latter, with an absolutely phenomenal theme might I add.

While I think Gillius is just as valid of a choice as Adder thanks to him having the most fun playstyle and design of the main trio, I can’t help but notice our serious villain deficit. Sure Eggman and Selvaria are both fine and good, but why not create a trifecta of scum and villainy by throwing in another one of Sega’s most iconic baddies? He’s also just a really good choice to represent Golden Axe as a whole, being the weilder of the titular Golden Axe and the most prominent villain. And if you want moveset potential, Adder has a **** ton of it. Aside from his iconic Axe, he also has a shield that can breathe fire and shoot lightning. He also has the ability to create shockwaves in the ground. Really, there’s no shortage of cool attacks you could pull from with this guy.
I should probably mention that the "characters who appeared in the All-Stars games" category is strictly for characters who made a playable appearance in those games. Death Adder is eligible for the other side of the prompt

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #134: Non-SEGA All-Stars Character - Pengo (Pengo - 1982)

Pengo is a classic maze puzzle arcade game, which was developed by SEGA itself in 1982 (making him four years older than both Opa-Opa and Alex Kidd) and involves a titular penguin having been trapped in a maze of ice blocks with a crew of deadly Sno-Bees, who want to catch and kill him (sounds familiar, fellow arcade nerds?). Pengo has to defend himself from Sno-Bees by pushing huge ice blocks around and squashing them between two blocks, with killing each of them allowing him to clear the level, all while a cute version of this song plays in the background.

The game is among SEGA's early arcade games in the 1980's and became a commercial success, having it's fair share of copycat clones from other developers, ports (like in Game Gear) and sequels, the most recent game being "Ge-sen Love ~Plus Pengo!", which was released as a Japan-exclusive on Nintendo Switch in 2019. Pengo himself even made multiple cameo appearances such as Champion Boxing (Yu Suzuki's first work; when a player KO's an opponent) and Teddy Boy Blues (in a bonus round). It even apparently inspired Hudson Soft's iconic video game franchise, Bomberman, with some of it's elements.

For moveset possibilities, Pengo can slap opponents with his wings, kick them and even perform a ground slide on his belly (or dive diagonally downwards from the air). His special moves would focus on pushing ice blocks and set up chain reactions to stun and damage opponents around, summon Sno-Bees from their eggs as hazards, maybe toss diamonds as projectiles (based on diamond blocks) and make himself temporarily faster or invincible for a short period of time with power-ups from a Genesis sequel, Pepenga Pengo. The latest afore-mentioned game also has various sections such as "beat 'em uping" enemies, destroying barrels with melee attacks and using a gun to shoot juggling tin cans akin to Duck Hunt's frisbee/NES Zapper move in Smash.

Considering his position in SEGA's arcade history, maybe some of Pengo's moves would be based on non-Suzuki/Super Scaler games, similarly to Pac-Man and Duck Hunt referencing Namco's arcade roots and Nintendo's NES Zapper library in whole respectively.
  • Flicky - Summoning little birds behind him to assist in-battle like Pikmins for Olimar. Add in a palette and you got yourself a mission idea alongside Sonic.
  • Dynamite Dux - Another bird-based arcade title, using punching gloves and rocks/bazookas/bombs as projectiles.
  • Super Locomotive - A rushing move with a missile shot from it's smokestack when pressing the button. Really should have a stage, complete with a Rydeen track.
  • Teddy Boy Blues - That moment when a funny penguin pulls out the machine gun, I'll live for that.
  • Quartet - A jetpack. Who said that penguins cannot fly?
  • Champion Boxing - Maybe he would use a "K.O." sign as an attack or taunt to reference one of his cameos?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Job #134 a (Sega All-Stars character)

A Sega All-Star you say?

It's time!

Billy-Peek-a-boo.png

Haha!

Just kidding I'm really submitting...

...oh I guess Beat, Gilius Thunderhead, Amigo, Joe Musashi, Football Manager and Shogun are all already submitted?

I guess it really is time.

For Job #1 I originally submitted Billy as the modern character as he was one of the few I recalled at the time, having my Sega roots be mostly in Master System and Mega Drive origin, only really playing Sonic after that. Still, since April I've played many more Sega series that I hadn't even heard of before, which put into perspective just how large a pool Sega really had to draw from.

In that time I've played Panzer Dragoon, Space Channel 5, Wonder Boy, Valkyria Chronicles, Total War, NiGHTS, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Samba de Amigo, Yakuza, Shenmue, Virtua Tennis, Sakura Wars, Virtua Fighter and Two Point Hospital to name a few. Since job 1 my horizons have expanded considerably from my previous limited pool of Master System and Mega Drive titles and I can see how small a game like Billy Hatcher can be.

But you know what? I also played Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg.
And it's good.
It's flawed and full of that early Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2 jank with it's mechanics but it's also a really fun 3D platformer with a Beat 'em Up streak and the hatching gameplay is surprisingly an enjoyable gameplay loop. The PC port is ridiculously cheap and I recommend nabbing it if you have any love for the Sonic Adventure titles to try for yourself.

Anyway enough history, let's crack(ha, eggs) on with this submission.

Billy Hatcher (Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg)

Billy-Hatcher.png

"Good Morning" - Billy Hatcher

So for those not in the know, 'William Cracker' here is a young boy who after defending an anthromorphic baby chicken from a more realistic looking crow made of dark matter gets dragged into another world alongside his three friends to take place in what is essentially a war between Chickens (Day) and Crows (Night), being drafted into fighting for the chickens via a never seen but often heard chicken god known as Menie-Funie who grants them legendary chicken suits allowing them to roll giant eggs and hatch the creatures inside them.

Billy and his friends Rolly Roll, Chick Poacher and Bantam Scrambled are sent to go and free the chicken elders who have been trapped inside eggs by the shapeshifting crows. Of the four drafted heroes, Billy is the only one who doesn't screw up his mission, get tied up and placed next to a bomb. Way to go guys.

After Billy runs his opponent down with a large egg, he frees Rolly, Chick and Bantam from explosive death and they set about setting free the Chicken Elders from their eggshell prisons. These elders are the only ones who have the ability to dispell the darkness over the lands, and bring morning back, finally facing off with the emperor, Dark Raven.

Billy Hatcher was EVERYWHERE during the mid 2000s as Sega was really keen on pushing Billy into everything they possibly could.
He appears in Sega Superstars getting top billing outside of the proven Sonic the Hedgehog on the cover and intro cutscene, he was placed in the original Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and he even rode alongside NiGHTS and Amigo as a guest star in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.

Sadly for Billy, Yuji Naka and Sonic Team, the game didn't do anywhere near as well as they were hoping.

Over time Billy made less and less guest appearances in Sonic and Sega crossover titles to the point he was scrapped in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, although that a Billy Hatcher track complete with models of Rolly Roll, Chick Poacher and Bantam Scrambled without Billy would hint they had at some point planned Billy to return as a racer.

Not all is lost for Mr. Hatcher though. It's easy to see why those who loved Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 latched onto Hatcher as his game feels very much in the vein of those, carving out a place in people's memories and generally looked back at with a fondness. He's absolutely not the most important Sega character ever, but having spent hours running people over with eggs and getting satisfying squishing noises, I can absolutely see his appeal.

Should he become a fighter in Battle of Ages, I imagine he'd be a character who, much like Lucario, strengthens over tiime.
The more the egg is rolled, the larger it becomes and the more powerful Billy becomes. However it'd come with a caveat that the egg is still...well, an egg and thus is easily broken if it takes enough hits whilst away from Billy giving him a projectile that is very powerful as long as it's not hit whilst being used or a weapon that will allow him to deal huge damage but can be easily seperated from him, meaning Billy players would have to think carefully about how and when to strike.

Right, that's the 'All-Star'...let's submit someone a little more unusual for the 'non All-Star'...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job #134 b (Non All-Star character)

So...you're a super genius who has become bored with life...what do you do?

Travel to another planet, declare yourself emperor, get bored and clone yourself into your own species of course. I mean, it's what I'd do.

Horatio (the first) (Endless Space 1 & 2)

Horatio-the-first.png

This is...nay...WE are the Horatio.

So for those not in the know, this big foreheaded megalomaniac is Horatio.

He was originally an incredibly wealthy and only slightly less deranged trillionaire who left his home planet to discover his own star cluster. Eventually finding a habitable planet, Horatio ventured out and stealing information from The Endless' ruins found a way to not only extend his own life but also information about cloning techniques.

Horatio, bored of living a lonesome life, used the information he gleamed from The Endless's ruins to create DNA labs, allowing him to create himself a set of allies, servants and slaves all in his likeness as well as upgrading his own DNA to perfection, splicing in the genetics of other species to gain their positive effects and improve himself and his clones.

Boredom however, eventually reared it's ugly head again and Horatio began to ponder if he could fill his planet with Horatios, taking over the world and declaring himself Emperor...

...and heck, why stop there? Horatio was inspired for his next goal; to fill the entire universe with the very image of perfection and beauty: Horatio.

The problem with creating clones that Horatio came across is that you don't want perfect clones. Whilst yes, he wanted a world full of beautiful and brilliant Horatio, he also needed them to be less megalomaniac and more willing to follow orders. Perfect clones that are created by Horatio's technology that are deemed a threat to Horatio the first are executed to prevent a hostile takeover as are any that could be conceivably a threat to Horatio's status as ruler.

As such, Horatio has perfected his technology to breed loyal and obedient Horatios only, albeit with the smarts and charm of himself. As such, Horatio makes nearly all the decisions for the race, with his word as law.
Surprisingly despite the looming threat of execution for being too different, the continuously growing population seems to be calm and collected. They strive for conformity, seeing it as a good thing and see anything unique or non-Horatio like as a threat.

In Battle of Ages, Horatio will be seeking to expand his ever growing influence further, using his DNA splicing techniques to temporarily steal the powers of other fighters (similar to Kirby) whilst creating clones to do his bidding. These clones will likely leave after their duty is fulfilled upon Horatio's own orders(making them more like brief summons like Duck Hunt Dog's ability to summon the Wildmen) or be executed by Horatio himself after they have fulfilled their role due to being too different from himself.

Combat wise, apart from an endless supply of loyal and obedient clones that can help assimilate other species, and the ability to DNA splice, Horatio has access to a number of durable humongous warships that can rain down laser fire on their enemies as well as access to futuristic firearms.

Horatio-weapons.png

This man isn't afraid to shoot even himself. Imagine what he'll do to someone he deems less beautiful and perfect than Horatio.

Lastly, Amplitude Studios (owned by Sega) released a dating sim style visual novel game featuring Horatio in this rather delightful artstyle:
Love-Thyself.png

This game is free on Steam and has you play as a clone of Horatio, trying to discover who you truly are through interactions with your fellow Horatio.

Outside having a dedicated game released by Amplitude themselves, Horatio have also made cameo appearances in Two Point Hospital, with a Horatio statue being one of the many items you can use to increase your hospital attractiveness levels.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #134.a:

For the All-Stars character, I'm resubmitting B.D. Joe,

Welp, I wanted to nominate him earlier and here's my chance:

Job #106: B.D. Joe (Crazy Taxi)
View attachment 338782

B.D. Joe appeared in several SEGA crossovers before so you might recognize him. He's one of the four playable cabbies in the unconventional 1999 arcade racing game Crazy Taxi, which is most well-known for its Dreamcast port. Crazy Taxi was a pretty successful series and it's still fondly remembered to this day (it even got a spin-off mobile game a few years back).

While B.D. Joe is not the face of his game (that honor goes to Axel), he's a popular character among fans and developers alike, and makes quite an impression thanks to his friendly and cheerful personality. As his game features no violence whatsoever unless you count everyone driving their cabs like four-wheeled murder machines, he'd be a humorous fighter who would nonetheşess be a force to be reckoned with in right hands. Other than using various car-related tools like wrenches and tires in battle, he can also make use of his drumming and card play skills to attack with oil cans and playing cards. As we know he's a good performance artist, he can even be a dance fighter who almost accidentally hurts his opponents!

While Crazy Taxi can be included with side content just as effectively, I think a fighter from that series can be pretty fun. We don't have many non-combatant playable characters and I think B.D. Joe can fill the role nicely. Depending on his moveset, his fellow drivers Gus, Axel, and Gena can also join him as alternate costumes but that's probably not very likely.
And as for the new character...

Job #134.b: Raikoh Minamoto (Otogi: Myth of Demons)

1642862732673.png

Otogi is a 2003 action RPG developed for Xbox by FromSoftwareand published by SEGA. The game's protagonist is Raikoh Minamoto, an assassin based on the famous Minamoto no Yorimitsu. After rejecting an order to kill his father, he steals his clan's ancestral weapon and flees to the capital, only to find the seal between human and demon worlds broken. He also dies but don't worry, he gets better.

Otogi and its sequel are considered as not only great Souls-like games but also some of the best looking games on their debut console, along with great use of mythological and historical references, extensive use of soundtrack dissonance to create a unique atmosphere and feature a ridiculous amount of destroyable environment. It's a unique game in SEGA'slibrary and while it's not commonly remembered, it has the potential to provide an interesting new universe.

During his quest to save the world, Raikoh wields his sword Soul Shrine to slay demons but he can bring more to the table as a fighter, including twin blades, staves, and bludgeons, along with four types of magic: fire, water, wind, and lightning. As Raikoh has an undead body that is kept alive by magic, he constantly has to keep his mana meter full, or else he loses health, which can be translated to this game with a very risky but strong character.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Alright, let's take a look at the vote:

Liz: 7 points
Witch: 3 points
Klug: 2 points
Omochao: 2 points
Dr. Games: 10 points
Prof. K: 14 points
Chris: 17 points
Bonanzas: 11 points

And as you can see, we now have another character joining the cast of major NPCs in Battle of AGES: and that's gonna be Chris Parton!!!!

And now we'll move on to our next character job - and this one's a twofer:

Job #134: Submit a SEGA character who appeared in the All-Stars games and a SEGA character who wasn't in the All-Stars games

So I think one of the eternal struggles that have been discussed with regards to this project is how much pull the All-Stars games should have in our decision-making. In my opinion? Not a lot. I really don't think they should be treated as gospel and we already have more than enough rosters that do exactly that. I want us to do our own thing. That said, the All-Stars games do still have good character choices worth looking into for our roster. So I thought it'd be nice to dedicate something to the characters from there that we could add! However, on the other side of the coin, I'm asking you to also submit a character who has not been in those games. Cause again, we shouldn't treat them as gospel and there are plenty of potential fresh faces worth considering. Anyway yeah!

Couple things to keep in mind:

-Keep your submissions to characters from series we haven't included in our roster yet

-Your "never been in All-Stars" pick can come from a series that was in those games, as long as the character themselves wasn't. For example, if we hadn't included a HotD rep yet, you could've submitted Busujima for this side of the prompt even though HotD as a series was in those games.

And that's it. ok now bye
Job #134 - A SEGA character who appeared in the All-Stars games

For this prompt, I decided to go with a bit of an oddball pick.

Character Name: Chuih
Character Series: ChuChu Rocket! (1999)
All-Stars Introduction: SEGA Superstars
1642867543143.png

That's right! This funky lil astronaut has managed (for now) to escape the clutches of the KapuKapus to join the roster (at least, hopefully.) I imagine that Chuih's gameplay could be incredibly weird - here's my thinking. With Chuih being, well, a space mouse, his general gameplay makes him very fast and lightweight, as well as having a pretty high jump. However, he's easy to get off the stage - having fairly low defence as a trade-off, meaning that he'll have to resort to an evasive, hit-and-run playstyle to succeed, invoking a "cat-and-mouse" playstyle. Not only this, but Chuih is actually a puzzle rep - a rarity in fighting games - and I think that aspects of his moveset could reflect this as well as aspects from his original game.

I think there's a few ways you could handle this. The first that springs to mind for myself is a focus on the various tiles you can place having different effects, and being able to "clone" Chuih to fight alongside a number of ChuChus (maybe a total of four,) but each of them dying off as they're attacked. In that case, they wouldn't fight like the Ice Climbers, but rather move in a line behind Chuih (who's implied to be the ChuChu that you control,) essentially lagging a set number of frames behind you, which represents how ChuChus tend to move on the original board, as well as being a slightly tongue-in-cheek reference to the lag that the game would often suffer during online play. Overall, it'd be a unique character in its function - having nearly all of his moves being multi-hit if he's able to preserve himself, but needing to play it safe or get debuffed (or even killed!) I also think that it would be cute to have them grip onto a rocket as their Up-B.

ChuChu Rocket is, to be honest, a surprisingly important title in gaming history. Despite not being the first online game of all, it was the first online game for the Dreamcast, and also has the interesting distinction of being the first SEGA series to be ported to a Nintendo console (ChuChu Rocket!, GBA, 2001.)

Whilst it's not exactly a beloved hallmark of SEGA history, it has seen recognition. ChuChu Rocket has seen use in 3 of the 4 All-Stars titles - in SEGA Superstars as a variation of the original game, in SEGA Superstars Tennis as a series of missions once again based on the original game, and then in the original Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing as a playable character (on his own in the DS version, but alongside 3 friends in console releases!) Not only that, but in 2011, iOS and Android ports were released, and in 2015, SEGA produced a Wii U port of ChuChu Rocket! with 2,500 of the custom puzzles uploaded to the Dreamcast servers built in. This shows that whilst the game isn't exactly as popular as other titles, it's still fondly remembered!

I think Chuih would bring a really weird and bizarre take on a fighting game character here. Representing a unique genre in our roster, as well as having unique moveset potential, his wacky hijinks would make him fun to see and play alike!

Character Name: Temjin
Character Origin: Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (1995)

1642869410034.png

Virtual-On is a series of games by SEGA, originally for arcades, which is essentially a 3D fighting game which is notable for revolutionising the use of the twin-stick control system in video games. In it, you play as mecha known as Virtuaroids, which are essentially large fighting robots decked out with weaponry. MBV-04-G-Temjin is one of these, though due to its role as essentially the poster child of the series, I think he's the most reasonable pick of the bunch

Temjin's gameplay, I imagine, is a fast-paced heavyweight. His weapon of choice is, after all, a futuristic sword that can turn itself into a beam rifle, and having the ability to fly with the rockets Temjin has access to across his body allows him to easily sidestep attacks and counter them with his own. Not only this, but he can hold his own from a distance, though the comparitiely weaker projectiles means his mean means of attacking is getting up close and personal. Lastly, he also has access to a large bomb which could in theory be used for stage control.

Compared to any of the other characters we have right now, Temjin is probably one of the most unique. Being, well, a huge mech helps. (On that, I think it would be reasonable to scale him down somewhat, but still have him as slightly taller than most fighters - a little like how Ridley was handled.)

Not only this, but Virtual-On seems to be a series that SEGA is willing to use. For instance, Temjin and some other Virtuaroids appeared in the game Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 as playable - and the most recent game in the series was a crossover between it and A Certain Magical Index. It might be a more obscure pick, but it's one SEGA seem to be fine with supporting - plus, it's another arcade rep that isn't confined to the 16-bit era!

Anyways, I hope these are okay! If I've made any mistakes, please feel free to let me know. :)

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #134 - A SEGA character who appeared in the All-Stars games

For this prompt, I decided to go with a bit of an oddball pick.

Character Name: Chuih
Character Series: ChuChu Rocket! (1999)
All-Stars Introduction: SEGA Superstars
View attachment 343380

That's right! This funky lil astronaut has managed (for now) to escape the clutches of the KapuKapus to join the roster (at least, hopefully.) I imagine that Chuih's gameplay could be incredibly weird - here's my thinking. With Chuih being, well, a space mouse, his general gameplay makes him very fast and lightweight, as well as having a pretty high jump. However, he's easy to get off the stage - having fairly low defence as a trade-off, meaning that he'll have to resort to an evasive, hit-and-run playstyle to succeed, invoking a "cat-and-mouse" playstyle. Not only this, but Chuih is actually a puzzle rep - a rarity in fighting games - and I think that aspects of his moveset could reflect this as well as aspects from his original game.

I think there's a few ways you could handle this. The first that springs to mind for myself is a focus on the various tiles you can place having different effects, and being able to "clone" Chuih to fight alongside a number of ChuChus (maybe a total of four,) but each of them dying off as they're attacked. In that case, they wouldn't fight like the Ice Climbers, but rather move in a line behind Chuih (who's implied to be the ChuChu that you control,) essentially lagging a set number of frames behind you, which represents how ChuChus tend to move on the original board, as well as being a slightly tongue-in-cheek reference to the lag that the game would often suffer during online play. Overall, it'd be a unique character in its function - having nearly all of his moves being multi-hit if he's able to preserve himself, but needing to play it safe or get debuffed (or even killed!) I also think that it would be cute to have them grip onto a rocket as their Up-B.

ChuChu Rocket is, to be honest, a surprisingly important title in gaming history. Despite not being the first online game of all, it was the first online game for the Dreamcast, and also has the interesting distinction of being the first SEGA series to be ported to a Nintendo console (ChuChu Rocket!, GBA, 2001.)

Whilst it's not exactly a beloved hallmark of SEGA history, it has seen recognition. ChuChu Rocket has seen use in 3 of the 4 All-Stars titles - in SEGA Superstars as a variation of the original game, in SEGA Superstars Tennis as a series of missions once again based on the original game, and then in the original Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing as a playable character (on his own in the DS version, but alongside 3 friends in console releases!) Not only that, but in 2011, iOS and Android ports were released, and in 2015, SEGA produced a Wii U port of ChuChu Rocket! with 2,500 of the custom puzzles uploaded to the Dreamcast servers built in. This shows that whilst the game isn't exactly as popular as other titles, it's still fondly remembered!

I think Chuih would bring a really weird and bizarre take on a fighting game character here. Representing a unique genre in our roster, as well as having unique moveset potential, his wacky hijinks would make him fun to see and play alike!

Character Name: Temjin
Character Origin: Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (1995)

View attachment 343385

Virtual-On is a series of games by SEGA, originally for arcades, which is essentially a 3D fighting game which is notable for revolutionising the use of the twin-stick control system in video games. In it, you play as mecha known as Virtuaroids, which are essentially large fighting robots decked out with weaponry. MBV-04-G-Temjin is one of these, though due to its role as essentially the poster child of the series, I think he's the most reasonable pick of the bunch

Temjin's gameplay, I imagine, is a fast-paced heavyweight. His weapon of choice is, after all, a futuristic sword that can turn itself into a beam rifle, and having the ability to fly with the rockets Temjin has access to across his body allows him to easily sidestep attacks and counter them with his own. Not only this, but he can hold his own from a distance, though the comparitiely weaker projectiles means his mean means of attacking is getting up close and personal. Lastly, he also has access to a large bomb which could in theory be used for stage control.

Compared to any of the other characters we have right now, Temjin is probably one of the most unique. Being, well, a huge mech helps. (On that, I think it would be reasonable to scale him down somewhat, but still have him as slightly taller than most fighters - a little like how Ridley was handled.)

Not only this, but Virtual-On seems to be a series that SEGA is willing to use. For instance, Temjin and some other Virtuaroids appeared in the game Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 as playable - and the most recent game in the series was a crossover between it and A Certain Magical Index. It might be a more obscure pick, but it's one SEGA seem to be fine with supporting - plus, it's another arcade rep that isn't confined to the 16-bit era!

Anyways, I hope these are okay! If I've made any mistakes, please feel free to let me know. :)
Temjin has already been submitted

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
[emergency replacement time]

Character Name: Raphael (Phantom R)
Character Origin: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure (2012)
1642870868434.png

Whilst we might already have a rhythm rep in Ulala, and a thief in Joker, I think it'd be a good idea here to take hints from both - as well as focusing on personality. Sure, Joker's flashy, but I picture Raphael playing a lot like you'd see in the actual games - maybe with rhythm taking a backseat, and a rapid, stylish playstyle being key (which I can imagine taking some inspiration from Lupin the Third!)

Overall, his nature is one that's somewhat combo-based, and evasive, all at once - with gameplay that relies on stringing together moves where possible. My concept is that he's pretty much a hit-and-run, combo-maker who needs to use very clever strings and overall requires a sense of rhythm to use (even though I don't picture rhythm being a primary focus of his playstyle.)

Also, he needs a white outfit based on Michael Jackson in the Smooth Criminal music video. :)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 134 (A): General Winter (Company of Heroes 2)

So! Something cool the All-Stars racing games did is create characters that were representative of their series, particularly for games like Football Manager, Total War, and this game, Company of Heroes 2. CoH2 is an RTS game by Relic Entertainment and published by Sega, and is a sequel to the 2006 game Company of Heroes. General Winter is not a character from the game but rather a name given to the personification of the cold winters the Soviet army fought through during World War II, the time the game is set.

For the record, while I would understand some's questioning of putting a World War II Soviet soldier in the game, considering the game is by all accounts not very historically accurate it's probably fine. Also, it seems that while the game reviewed well on release, opinions seem more mixed nowadays, but it still has a strong fanbase and a third game in the series is on the way.

Anyway...

As a war-themed RTS character with roots in reality, I think there are interesting things that General Winter can do. First off, an RTS is all about capturing points to expand your base and army, so I feel like stage control and construction would be a big part of his moveset, along with era-appropriate weaponry, including landmines, turrets, and other explosives. I think a character who is in essence a tower-defense character combined with the resource management present in RTS's could be pretty interesting!

Job 134 (B): Asha (Monster World IV)

1642873358191.png

That's right, I'm resubmitting Asha. I just think she's neat.
Job #120: Asha (Monster World IV)
View attachment 341811

Asha is the protagonist of the fourth game in the Monster World series...previously known as the Wonder Boy series..and nowadays known as both? It's a little complicated. Basically the series went Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (which was known in Japan as Monster World II), and...look, the point is, through a complicated relationship with Sega and the developers of the series, Westone, the chronology of the series got all screwed up, but here we are with Monster World IV, which was recently remade and rereleased on the Switch as Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World.

Asha is an Arabian warrior armed with a sword and shield and accompanied by her companion, a blue Pepelogoo, a monster that helps her on her quest. Asha is in tune with her spiritual side, which is part of how she hears the calls of various monsters in need of her help and why she sets out on a quest to help not just her kingdom but the surrounding kingdoms as well.

Asha has her traditional sword attacks, but she can also block attacks with her shield, and her Pepelogoo friend allows her to double jump, float for brief periods of time, and perform long-range attacks by throwing him. He even resists fire, so he makes for a handy platform to traverse lava pits or to shield Asha's head from a wayward fireball.

Asha's swordplay is very melee-focused, but she focuses on combo attacks and can bounce on an enemies' head a la Scrooge McDuck. She may not have many spells at her disposal, but she's brimming with life and personality in everything she does.

Wonder Boy/Monster World is a series that has flown under the radar for a while but is getting new praises thanks to some great remakes by DotEmu and Monster World IV's official translation releasing during the Wii's virtual console days. There was a recent Monster World IV remake but unfortunately it was not particularly well-received. That said, Asha herself is such a fun character and the Arabian fantasy aesthetics she and her stage could bring to the game are super unique, lush, and vibrant.

Last edited:

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
If we do this again, I would like to see this expanded to any SEGA character who has crossed over into another game, or at the very least, we can nominate characters from the same series. That said, with the requirements given, I think I found my pick.

Job #134: Goalkeeper (Virtua Striker)

Wikipedia defines Sega Superstars as the first game in the All-Star series, and in that one you get a series not in ANY of the other All-Star games: Virtua Striker. Although in practice, it's an Eye Toy game for the PS2, so you see yourself attacking the soccer balls/footballs, the game/Wikipedia describes this minigame as this:

Players play as a soccer goalkeeper and try to catch incoming footballs.
So, this establishes your role very clearly in Sega Superstars. You play as the goalkeeper for football/soccer from the series Virtua Striker. The role of a goalkeeper in Virtua Striker is very similar to goalkeepers in real life, where they aim to protect their goal by deflecting and then kicking the ball back with your teammates.

As a playable character, and stay with me here, I got something really unique. The best comparison I could make for my idea would probably be Olimar in Smash. So, you would come with a moving goal on the field that follows right behind you at all times. In addition, the Goalkeeper would all come with a soccer ball/football that would be a permanent item on the field. With the ball, you would use it for various long-range projectiles through strikes, kicks, and headbutts. The idea is to bounce it off of your opponents to chip away at them, and you can charge up your attacks to make every one of your strikes cause a lot of damage. Meeting this character up close is the worst, as their fully charged-up attack with the ball at close range is the most painful attack in their arsenal. To make sure that you don't lose it, there would also be a button to have your team knock it back to you wherever you are on the field.

However, while you have a very durable and agile character, it comes with an achilles heel. The ball can be deflected and if you aren't too careful, they could knock it into your goal for a devastating blow. This would be one of the benefits of getting up close to them is that you can ricochet the ball into the goal to make them take an equally strong hit. Maybe there could be a mechanic where you can put the goal down anywhere on the stage, similar to Steve with his crafting table. I'm not quite sure yet. The overall idea is that you would get a very technical character, but one with a lot of pros for those willing to put in the effort with them. There would be no character quite like them in the game.

As for my second part, I'm resubmitting the Blue Dragon from Panzer Dragoon. I...absolutely love this series. I think it's one of the most beautiful franchises SEGA has ever put out, and I really believe they would make a good addition.

Job #120: Type 01 a.k.a. Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)

The blue dragon is the mascot of the Panzer Dragoon franchise, and a type of dragon that is featured in all seven games in the series (including the remake, the Japanese exclusive Panzer Dragoon Mini, and the Tiger Electronic R-Zone game, which is a real thing). The story differs from game to game, but the general idea is that these dragons have cyborg elements to them that affect their brain and body that give them protection, allowing them to breathe lasers. With the help of a rider, the consistent goal in all games is to destroy a 'tower' built by an ancient civilization that was created as life support for their planet but will kill anything it deems a threat to the planet.

While the franchise is currently not being published by SEGA, it is a SEGA franchise through and through. The original trilogy of games were all published by SEGA, and it was considered one of the greatest cult franchises to come from the Saturn alongside NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams and Sakura Wars, and SEGA came back to publish Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox, a release that was one of SEGA's first string of titles on the Xbox after leaving the console business, alongside GunValkyrie and Jet Set Radio Future. Although the series has had several commercial failures in America, it has received nothing but praise, and SEGA knows there is a fanbase. It has gotten an anime OVA/Movie commissioned by SEGA by the same people who did the famous Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie OVAs to coincide with the release of Panzer Dragoon Zwei, plus cameos in the form of a stage in Sonic and All-Stars: Racing Transformed, and an extended guest role in the Sonic & Mega Man Crossover comic, World's Unite.

Only two of these dragons is properly named (Lagi from Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Atolm, who is one of the dragons in Saga), but all dragons do share a very similar look with usually small changes. My idea is not to just feature the dragon from the first game, but all dragons from the main series, with their respective riders on a cut-down to size version of them.

From left to right, you have Azel and Edge, respectively, from Saga, who each have their own dragons in that game, Orta from Orta, who has an older version of Edge's dragon, Lundi from Zwei, who was the very first dragon rider and raised a dragon from birth, and Keil from the original, a hunter who takes a dragon from his previous rider, in that rider's dying request.

They will be necessary as on top of the dragon's abilities, they assist in helping shoot down smaller enemies with a gun from time to time. For this character, I'm imagining one focused around the idea of having 180-degree firing capability at all times, and 360-degree firing while in the air, meant to reference the game's gimmick of different angles to shoot from. Recovery and long-range attacks will be the character's big appeal. In addition, Saga and Orta both incorporated a few extra moves you can add: the ability to morph into other forms mid-battle for things like agility or extra armor, and the ability to cycle around the opponent for an advantage.

Not only would it be a perfect pick to represent a well-loved cult franchise, and the definitive character to represent Panzer Dragoon, I feel, but I just think there's so much potential in a moveset. You get a big powerful dragon that can knock things down, AND a zoner-type character.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
If we do this again, I would like to see this expanded to any SEGA character who has crossed over into another game, or at the very least, we can nominate characters from the same series. That said, with the requirements given, I think I found my pick.

Job #134: Goalkeeper (Virtua Striker)

Wikipedia defines Sega Superstars as the first game in the All-Star series, and in that one you get a series not in ANY of the other All-Star games: Virtua Striker. Although in practice, it's an Eye Toy game for the PS2, so you see yourself attacking the soccer balls/footballs, the game/Wikipedia describes this minigame as this:

So, this establishes your role very clearly in Sega Superstars. You play as the goalkeeper for football/soccer from the series Virtua Striker. The role of a goalkeeper in Virtua Striker is very similar to goalkeepers in real life, where they aim to protect their goal by deflecting and then kicking the ball back with your teammates.

As a playable character, and stay with me here, I got something really unique. The best comparison I could make for my idea would probably be Olimar in Smash. So, you would come with a moving goal on the field that follows right behind you at all times. In addition, the Goalkeeper would all come with a soccer ball/football that would be a permanent item on the field. With the ball, you would use it for various long-range projectiles through strikes, kicks, and headbutts. The idea is to bounce it off of your opponents to chip away at them, and you can charge up your attacks to make every one of your strikes cause a lot of damage. Meeting this character up close is the worst, as their fully charged-up attack with the ball at close range is the most painful attack in their arsenal. To make sure that you don't lose it, there would also be a button to have your team knock it back to you wherever you are on the field.

However, while you have a very durable and agile character, it comes with an achilles heel. The ball can be deflected and if you aren't too careful, they could knock it into your goal for a devastating blow. This would be one of the benefits of getting up close to them is that you can ricochet the ball into the goal to make them take an equally strong hit. Maybe there could be a mechanic where you can put the goal down anywhere on the stage, similar to Steve with his crafting table. I'm not quite sure yet. The overall idea is that you would get a very technical character, but one with a lot of pros for those willing to put in the effort with them. There would be no character quite like them in the game.

As for my second part, I'm resubmitting the Blue Dragon from Panzer Dragoon. I...absolutely love this series. I think it's one of the most beautiful franchises SEGA has ever put out, and I really believe they would make a good addition.
So truth be told I originally meant the "appeared in All-Stars" side of the prompt as meaning from Tennis onwards, but considering that this is, by all accounts, an All-Stars game, and that there's not much submission potential that's exclusive to it anyway, I think I'm fine with stretching the definition a bit

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
D

Deleted member

1. Beat
2. Gillius
3. Football Manger

1. Temijin
2. Asha
3. Honey