• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Left 4 Dead

Publisher: Valve Software
Developer: Valve Software
Release Date: November 18th, 2008
Genre: First-Person Shooter/Horror
Platform(s): PC, XBox 360
Number of Players: 1-8
ESRB: M
PEGI: 18+

Left 4 Dead 2

Publisher: Valve Software
Developer: Valve Software
Release Date: November 17th, 2009
Genre: First-Person Shooter/Horror
Platform(s): PC, XBox 360
Number of Players: 1-8
ESRB: M
PEGI: 18+

Useful Links:

Useful Information:
  • "The Passing" will be released later this month.

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
Left 4 Dead: Custom map Patch hit

(dunno if this thread involving this game was made, but couldn't find it on search)

-Release date: ?? (I believe Nov. 20th
-R: Mature
-First Person Shooter
-Zombie killing, horror style FPS.
-Systems: Xbox360 & PC

Turtle Rock Studios and Valve decided to make a whole new thing. A FPS zombie mashing game. Actually looks really fun. You may have seen it at E3's when Microsoft was debating.
Awesome want-to-get game, however not for the easily-scared.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4094.html

(Scary stuff, so don't click if easily scared)

Anyone know the REAL release date? I'm pretty sure that its Nov. 20th, but everytime I hear about it, everyone claims to have heard different dates on when this game comes out.

Back on track... ever since it's annoucement couldn't wait for the game. Just thought to share it with you guys.

I think the idea was amazing. They put online Co-op into the mix to play to complete the campaign together. It's hard to explain what else they added on, but apparently something with an AI director that determines the difficulty of the game based on gameplay of the players. Hordes of zombies (50-60 at a time) for good accuracy, high health, and pretty skilled players. While people who are just gettin used to the game get smaller amounts of them. Honestly, I think this is gonna be an awesome game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I have been following it for a while, it's one [among many] of the reasons I got a new PC as well. I wish I had friends to play it with [their PCs aren't as good and only one has a 360] but I suppose I can make do with the players online.

I heard they only have 4 campaigns but they plan to add more over time, similar to TF2 but more often. With that plus the user created content I can really see this game lasting a long time for me once the gameplay is good.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
after reading the half-page snippit about Left 4 dead in GI's top 25 e3 showings (it was ranked 1), im looking forward to this game very much so.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
This game looks scary good. I don't even own a 360 but will have one in due time, and Left 4 Dead will come just in time.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I'm really looking forward to this one, me and three of my friends are all planning on getting it and playing together.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There's a 360 and PC demo coming out soon that'll have both single player and online (and hopefully LAN) multiplayer

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The early demo is coming out tomorrow for those of you who pre-ordered. It's up for pre-load on steam now and it will be available to play around 10am EST tomorrow. Check Steam's website for more info.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I'm not going to lie... I don't get it. What is it that has everybody gushing over this game? It just looks like a 4-player FPS with zombies. Yeah, it's Valve, and that counts for something... But am I missing a fundamental piece of the puzzle here?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Well, how many games do you know that are built around 4 player co-op?

That's really the biggest thing but yeah, I've yet to be completely sold either. Do you have to pre-order to play the demo on live?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You'd get the early demo, which started today. The demo comes out for everyone on the 11th. Right now a lot of people don't have servers up so it's hard to get an online game going but the single player is close enough to the real thing.

I just came from playing the demo and I loved it. The music adds to the atmosphere in that when it's silent you know you have to chance to reload and heal up and when the music is building up you know **** is about to hit the fan. Unfortunately none of my friends are getting it so I'll have to play with random people but this is one of those games that would definitely rock with 3 of your best gaming buddies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Apparently Mike Patton is voicing the undead (as he did in I Am Legend). Sweet.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah I have it for PC CK.

Omega you can get it on Steam [for PC] or XBL marketplace but if you didn't preorder you'll have to wait until the 11th to play the demo.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ah...this game is a lot of fun. Very atmospheric, too, but the scare quickly goes away (unless, of course, you're getting swarmed by about a thousand of them and someone yells 'Hunter!').

Anyways, I love this game. I haven't played online yet (I haven't really had much chance to sit down with it, so I just wanted to get the gist of it first by playing single player) but I'll probably do so soon.

Oh, quick question: is it crashing anyone else's entire computer? Out of the 3 times I've played, it's crashed 3 times, twice resulting in turning my entire computer off.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Oddly enough L4D hasn't crashed on me [knock on wood]. I had some artifacting problems but that was because of overheating and other than that it runs clean as a whistle.

To me the scariest moments are the ones where your team gets separated. I always end up alone when a Tank shows up because my teammates never run, they just stand and shoot until the Tank kills them so I usually wind up killing it by myself.

Sensai

Smash Master
For those who preordered the game, the ability to preload is now open.

(For those who don't know, preloading is downloading the game before it comes out and then being able to play it as soon as Valve unlocks it.)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I finished my preloading about an hour ago so I'm all set for the 18th. I can't wait.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
If anyone has it for computer we can play, my steam id is Spartacus1001

Sensai

Smash Master
For those of you who have preloaded, would you look in your Steam folder and see how big it is?

(That's Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/left 4 dead or something like that. Just see how big that folder is.)

It says I'm done preloading, but it's only taking up a little over a gig of space and took like no time at all to download (while on college internet, maybe getting 40kbps max).

[Edit:]

****, college internet sucks. I wouldn't say the problem has been fixed, per se, but it's definitely calmed down and started downloading again. Eh, who knows if we'll make it before the game actually comes out.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The bandwidth monitor said it was around 1.4GB. I'm guessing if you already have the Soucre engine and the L4D demo installed you would have less to preload.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Gerudo Warrior: It's been confirmed by Valve (in some interview somewhere, I'll dig it up if you guys wanna see it) that the original demo, released to the people who preordered it, was more or less a beta and a chance to see what worked and what didn't.

I'm hoping/expecting things to run better (or simply not crash half as much) in the final release.

For those of you with crashing problems:

What I do is I type this into console. I'm not sure what it does, nor why it works, but I think it does. So, without further ado:

'mat_que <tab> 0 <enter>'

Without the ' and hitting the buttons in brackets. I think the final result should be something like mat_queue_mode 0

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I heard L4D has been made to work with multicore processors as well [makes me wonder if that's the reason I don't crash as easily], and I'm definitely seeing the difference in performance compared to TF2 and HL2ep2. I'm running a Q6600 and after opening Steam L4D opens in less than 5 seconds whereas TF2 can take as long as 10. Task manager shows that the first 2 cores run at full load and the other 2 are around medium.

I only bought a quad because the duals at the store I went to weren't as good as I would have liked [shopping online wasn't an option due to import taxes] and the prices between their highest dual [I think it was E8200 or E8300] and their lowest quad [the Q6600] was basically negligible so I went with the quad. In the end I still have to say the use optimization of multicore in L4D doesn't make quad cores any more attractive to buy for gaming since it'll be a while before developers optimize their games for multicore processors so it's best to just stick with duals for now.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I had a blast playing it today, I like how the achievements don't make you do anything stupid [apart from trying to OHKO a Witch or set her on fire] and because of that I managed to get a bunch of them.

The versus mode needs some work, sometimes my survivor team would have to fight a tank as soon as the match starts and we'd just get screwed over while when was our turn to play the infected we didn't get a single tank. At one point I was the Tank and I had 3000 health and something hit me and I died instantly. I don't know if it was a bug but I was pretty pissed since it costed us the finale.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Man, this game freaking rocks.

I will most likely be getting it soon. I've only played the demo, but it still rocks.

Anyone beat anything on the hardest difficulty in single player yet?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So far I've just been screwing around on normal and versus mode but I might try to beat something on Expert today. So far I've heard Expert is really hard [some people say it took them 5 hours or more to beat a campaign on Expert after dying several times] so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Velox

Smash Ace
hah, this game is sooo fun with friends at night

i haven't simultaneously laughed and screamed so hard in a while

funniest quote of the game is when luis picks up an item and sometimes says, "I'm gunna take everything I can get!" rofl I'm not racist but that was hilarious..

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah that line made me smirk when I realized it was Louis.

I managed to beat Death Toll on Expert single and it was a pain in the ***. At the end the credits said I took 3 hours but I'm sure it was more than that. By the time I made it to the map before the finale I was the only one with a spare med kit and pills, luckily the finale was much kinder and had a few med kits lying around. The main thing with Expert is that what you do early in the campaign can screw you over near the end, if you manage to beat the first level but don't have any spare med kits there's a high chance by the end you'll be in trouble. I imagine Expert is harder with people because people don't always do what you want and friendly fire is a real killer on Expert.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The single player mode is so awful. I really wish they would have left that out in favor of more maps and a cheaper price.

Top Bottom