• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ledge tactics

brinboy789

Smash Champion
when your on the edge, what do you do? do you do the ledge attack? jump>dair?

i personally use the drop>jump>fair combo because theres like no lag afterward.

Deva

Smash Lord
if the opponent is far away, jump with y. If at the edge, depending on the spacing and the character, ledge hop nair, fair, or airdodge. airdodge is hard to punish though.

sasook

Smash Champion
Deva's the only one I've seen use airdodge off a ledgehop. It really is kind of unexpected, I wanna try it sometime.

IMO, Link should never be close to the edge in the first place :p lol. But since that isn't very likely....

I mix it up off the ledge. A lot. Sometimes I jump, pull a bomb and throw down. At higher percents I tend to roll back on. At low percents I fair back on. Sometimes when I know I won't be punished I just come back on with a simple A.

Lil Hero

Smash Cadet
At higher percents I tend to roll back on. At low percents I fair back on. Sometimes when I know I won't be punished I just come back on with a simple A.
I think you have this a little backwards. Wouldnt it be smarter to fair back on the stage at higher percentages and roll onto the stage at lower? Whenever your % gets over 100 thats when you're character becomes fatigued and recovers from the edge slowly.

Dark M

Smash Rookie
Fair or simply ledgeattack. Normally with 1-2 zairs to regrab the edge, to mess with the edgeguarders timing. Love watching legan to that

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I use falling Nair to edgeguard and throw a bomb to get back on. I'm pretty simple when it comes to ledge tactics. I use boomerang a lot to edgeguard. :/ It works sometimes.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I started using arrows to get back on the stage after I saw Kyuuber do some decent damage with it. Mostly, I just Fair or Nair back onto the stage.

sasook

Smash Champion
Fair or simply ledgeattack. Normally with 1-2 zairs to regrab the edge, to mess with the edgeguarders timing. Love watching legan to that
Yeah I picked that up from him. Legan is like....my Link idol.

I think you have this a little backwards. Wouldnt it be smarter to fair back on the stage at higher percentages and roll onto the stage at lower? Whenever your % gets over 100 thats when you're character becomes fatigued and recovers from the edge slowly.
Yeah....I know it's not the best habit to have....it's just what I tend to do. I know I should fix it, but I just never seem to remember it lol. Also, I can't consistently fair off the ledge (sometimes I'll do a fair but I won't actually get back on, I'll just grab the ledge again because I didn't move anywhere in the air).

I started using arrows to get back on the stage after I saw Kyuuber do some decent damage with it. Mostly, I just Fair or Nair back onto the stage.
Omg yeah, I saw that and it looked sexy. I wanna pick it up.

D

Deleted member

note to all link mains: START LEDGE HOPPING

seriously all you guys do is immediately press A when you grab onto the ledge, c'mon now that'll get you killed.

when returning to the stage from the ledge

-always ledgehop a fair or nair if your opponent is close to the edge
- doing the zair edge guard even once will mess up your opponent's strategy and put them inside of their shield
- pressing jump while on the ledge is pretty much a terrible tactic, but it can be used to set up dair kills if your opponent isn't expecting it >_>

when defending the stage from the ledge

- ledge hop nairs to gimp opponents. this is link's only attack he can do and regrab the stage without having to use the tether recovery or up+b
- zair edge guard will **** 90% of the cast
- ledge hop > bair > zair regrab. you can't ledge hop, bair and grab the ledge again so that's why you use the tether recovery to grab the ledge.
- ledge hop reversed arrows. situational tactic at best >_> but it can gimp some characters

when opponent is on the ledge and you're on the stage

- punish the ledge jump with a dair to their face
- ftilt will **** people of they roll from the ledge
- if you're pretty much standing on the very edge of the stage, pull up your shield and wait for one of these situations
ledge attack: shield it and Up+B out of your shield
Ledge roll: reverse grab and throw their *** off the stage
punish the ledge hop the same way as the ledge attack or ledge roll

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer

seriously all you guys do is immediately press A when you grab onto the ledge, c'mon now that'll get you killed.
D: He's right. I don't ledge hop at all. I should start. That'd help my game. Thanks Arkive. :D

Deva

Smash Lord
One thing to keep in mind, Brawl ledge hopping isnt the same as melee ledge hopping. In melee you had twice as many invincibility frames, so a ledge hop kept you invincible the whole time. In Brawl you not only need perfect timing, you still dont have invincibility at the end of the attack. This is why I ledge hop air dodge a lot. You're invincible the whole time getting to the stage. There's like, only a couple frames when you land that you can be punished, and it's really hard to punish. It's the safest method of recovering so mix it up, but this should be your primary recovery skill.

jamus

Smash Apprentice

when returning to the stage from the ledge

-always ledgehop a fair or nair if your opponent is close to the edge
- doing the zair edge guard even once will mess up your opponent's strategy and put them inside of their shield
- pressing jump while on the ledge is pretty much a terrible tactic, but it can be used to set up dair kills if your opponent isn't expecting it >_>

when defending the stage from the ledge

- ledge hop nairs to gimp opponents. this is link's only attack he can do and regrab the stage without having to use the tether recovery or up+b
- zair edge guard will **** 90% of the cast
- ledge hop > bair > zair regrab. you can't ledge hop, bair and grab the ledge again so that's why you use the tether recovery to grab the ledge.
- ledge hop reversed arrows. situational tactic at best >_> but it can gimp some characters

when opponent is on the ledge and you're on the stage

- punish the ledge jump with a dair to their face
- ftilt will **** people of they roll from the ledge
- if you're pretty much standing on the very edge of the stage, pull up your shield and wait for one of these situations
ledge attack: shield it and Up+B out of your shield
Ledge roll: reverse grab and throw their *** off the stage
punish the ledge hop the same way as the ledge attack or ledge roll
Nice advice...this should go in one of the sticky Link guides.

D

Deleted member

This thread going to help Link recovery :) and how about ledge hop Up-B ?
....why?

all that would do would take away your second jump and allow your opponent to get you off the stage, meaning you're dead

Swordplay

Smash Lord
not necessarily true. This is a very safe way to get back on stage if you choose the passive approach.

zair edgegaurd to get invincibility frames. ledge jump into an airdodge from more invincibility.

Mind game with a spot dodge or roll at the end.

D

Deleted member

not necessarily true. This is a very safe way to get back on stage if you choose the passive approach.

zair edgegaurd to get invincibility frames. ledge jump into an airdodge from more invincibility.

Mind game with a spot dodge or roll at the end.
how many times did i punish you for that lol? :p

Deva

Smash Lord
side note, if you have tap jump turned off, using up-b no longer takes away your second jump.

and ledge hop air dodge more xD.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
how many times did i punish you for that lol? :p
A LOT.

I only did it cause my wavebird can't get both fair swings off of a short hop. Dam button Lag

Wave Bird FTL

Somebody buy me a real GC controller and make sure the C-Stick works....

I will admit. Ledge tactics are my weakness with Link. I am getting better though.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i've recently learned through friendlies that link can spike opponents on the edge with his d tilt, i think adding that in would force opponents to hurry their recoveries to avoid it and possibly be helpful to more aggresive players(myself included)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
i've recently learned through friendlies that link can spike opponents on the edge with his d tilt, i think adding that in would force opponents to hurry their recoveries to avoid it and possibly be helpful to more aggresive players(myself included)
Known for a while but rarely used if ever. This is due to the extremely difficult spacing setup that is required to sweet spot it.

4Serial

Smash Lord
if you're on the stage and edgeguarding someone who comes in very horizontally parallel to the edge, you can FHDA and it can gimp them.. it's really good against DK, Bowser (except his up+b has priority so do it a moment before he can use it, same with Falco and Fox with their side+bs), Samus' bomb jumps, and DDD and Charizard's somewhat weak multiple jumps. FHDAs are really good for attacking people from far away, but it's generally hard to set them up in that position. As for ledge hopped/drop > up+b... no. just no. There's so much other and better options you have.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I used to attempt the dtilt spike but I just gave up and never used it again lol. Who actually uses Link's dtilt anyway? I don't :p

EDIT: Hey, 550 posts :D

sasook

Smash Champion
I use the dtilt, and not only for the spike (I rarely attempt the spike to be honest).

Swordplay

Smash Lord
wow how obvious. It was staring at me right on the face.

To SH from the ledge and get both swipes of fair off, it is so much easier to use y and a rather than y and c-stick.

I fail. Yet due to my many failures I have paved my own success....My Link ***** even more now...

sasook

Smash Champion
Another C stick aerial user......

Sometimes I wonder if I'm like a backwards Link player:

-I love close combat over the projectiles

-I don't like edgehogging

-I can play great on Delfino and Battlefield, horrible on Norfair, RC

-I only use the C stick for bombsliding and the DAC, everything else is either smash A and for aerials I use A

-I have tap jump off

-I like to use reverse bombslides over JC bombthrows

hmm....I'll think of more later.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Another C stick aerial user......

Sometimes I wonder if I'm like a backwards Link player:

-I love close combat over the projectiles

-I don't like edgehogging

-I can play great on Delfino and Battlefield, horrible on Norfair, RC

-I only use the C stick for bombsliding and the DAC, everything else is either smash A and for aerials I use A

-I have tap jump off

-I like to use reverse bombslides over JC bombthrows

hmm....I'll think of more later.

You're not that strange, I mean I only use C-Stick for bombsliding, use bombslide over JC throws, and no tap jump. It's just a matter of preference I suppose...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It was only until now when i realized there are situations wher A is better than C-Stick. Have to know when to use it and when not to use it.

OMG almost integrated it into my game. My Link is sweet now.......

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It's okay I tend to grab alot to.

every time I jab cancel, it usually is into a grab or spin attack depending on location

I also shield grab a lot after laggy F-smashes.

4Serial

Smash Lord
@4Serial - what's FHDA stand more? full hop dair?
Full Hop Double Arrow

Full Hop Arrow > Double Jump Double Arrow works well too, but FHDA is quicker and most people recover pretty quickly. I'd imagine FHDA works really well on ROB and Wario (snipe him off his bike lol) as well.

sasook

Smash Champion
It's okay I tend to grab alot to.

every time I jab cancel, it usually is into a grab or spin attack depending on location

I also shield grab a lot after laggy F-smashes.
I don't ever jab cancel into grabs......heck I don't ever jab cancel (which is a problem, I know).

I'm just good at landing grabs......that's all I can really say.

Deva

Smash Lord
umm...I use c stick for momentum cancels and DAC only. . . A button for aerials and everything else. . .

I have tap jump on cuz I double jump with the control stick. . . .

did I mention I'm noob . . .

sasook

Smash Champion
umm...I use c stick for momentum cancels and DAC only. . . A button for aerials and everything else. . .
Please, what is a momentum cancel? I really want to know.

I have tap jump on cuz I double jump with the control stick. . . .
I assumed most Links have tap jump on, though not for your reason. (attacking out of shield)

did I mention I'm noob . . .
ha ha, good one. You're sooo funny.

Never mind, I see you answered my momentum canceling question in the other topic.

Top Bottom