• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
(I can't believe it's already 1AM here :scared:)

Thought: what if Link's grab had a weak Zair hitbubble during the recoil animation?

kyroN

Smash Cadet
Ivy's the 1 character who has a worse recovery than Link lol.
I'd argue that Ivy has a much better recovery than Lunk...

Ness tho

EDIT: I quit WiFi like two years ago. I have a feeling if I played it now I would cry

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Umm, Link is also among the few characters that can actually safely gimp Ivy with that tether hog. Ivy can't even kill Link when he's hogging the edge, let alone recover.

That side B is too easy to dodge.

The hitbubble seems like it would almost be meaningless to me. I'd almost appreciate it more on the grab recoil animation than the aerial recoil animation.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Played a DK today and got owned (3-stocked)... The guy was able to gimp me so easily due to DK's Fthrow and amazing Dair. I got fortunate with some Zair hits and USmashes, but those were about the only hits I got. Can anyone give me some advice on this MU?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Sure.
DK is an annoying ape to take out; almost as bad as Diddy. DK, like Link, can live forever with good DI. What you want to do is camp. Spam the boomerang and bombs, and plenty of mindgames. Since DK is a big character, most of your projectiles will hit, whether it's shielded or not. DK's shield is great, though, so he can easily stop all of your projectiles if they are off. Usmash with DACUS is a good move to use when DK is stunned by a bomb or the boomerang. If at low percents, you can continue to juggle with Utilt. At high percents, beware of Dair. Basically, keep your distance. His grabs are beastly, so keep him away constantly with Zair.
In conclusion, stay away and spam. Only attack when your projectiles meet, and try to juggle him if possible. Also remember that you can edgehog him with Zair.
Juggle, spam, edgehog, run, run, spam, spam, spam, juggle, smash.
:dk:is truely a formidable foe.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Thanks, Fast! Will keep those tips in mind.

Though isn't everybody not Ganondorf a formidable foe? I just find 90% of matchups vs. Link a toughie.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
No problem! Though, it's probably a good idea to learn more, as I'm not exactly an expert on this matchup.

Lol, yea.
Imo, these are Link's best matchups (either Even or +1)
:ganondorf:
:sheilda: (Minus the Sheik part, of course)
:jigglypuff:
:ivysaur:

Then these are close to being even, and some, imo, are.
:bowser2:
:falcon:
:ike: (I don't understand why Link is not even or +1 in the matchup. Maybe we should discuss it?)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ike hits like a freight train, is hard to kill, has good range and is pretty fast when the opponent knows what they're doing. Plus he does really well against Link up close. Certainly not awful but I don't think it's our favor or even. -1 probably, maybe -2.

And what the heck happened to the boards?

ALSO: STILL playing Fire Emblem Awakening. THIS GAME IS TOO GOOD.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'd argue that Ivy has a much better recovery than Lunk...

Ness tho

EDIT: I quit WiFi like two years ago. I have a feeling if I played it now I would cry
Ness has a great 2nd jump and fair. Ness' recovery beats the puddin' out of Link and Ivy.
Ivy's floaty and gets distance from that but is vulnerable too. Ivy's only range attack to get opponents off the ledge is razer leaf which is slow to spam. Ivy has no height boosts besides 2nd jump so Frigate kills him worse than Link. Ivy's upB is slower than Link's Zair and easier to quick edgehog and causes free falling if it misses. If the opponent's holding the edge it won't grab it. Ivy's lighter too.

Link lives longer, has much better spam, a faster but shorter tether, bombs and a upB that outlasts ledge vulnerability.
I just find 90% of matchups vs. Link a toughie.
Sad but true.

DK spaces Link really well and eats boomerang with Bairs. As insult to injury he's fast with power. It's a solid -2. Zair and bombs are your best friends. Wall him out as best as you can :/ .

Ike's amazing jab (frame 2) really helps him. He has a better close game and a Fair that rivals our Zair :[ . Ike's slightly heaver than Link with insane power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94f8GYkmeuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvMlTAmyqg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0id5SKvwUbo

kyroN

Smash Cadet
Even if side-B is not fully spammable, it is fairly easy to get the opponent off of the ledge with correct timing and a relatively slow falling speed. Coupled with the long range of vine whip, I couldn't say Ivy's recovery is terrible.

Lunk has a very hard time even getting near the ledge, is extremely easy to gimp from any spot, and is stopped by practically anything in his way.

Ness, even with a good double jump, is almost screwed completely any time he is required to use his Up-B due to it being able to be stopped, sending him into helpless state, by practically any projectile, or character, willing to get in the way.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
And what the heck happened to the boards?

ALSO: STILL playing Fire Emblem Awakening. THIS GAME IS TOO GOOD.
Welcome back from the dead!

They moved the boards to Xenforo, which I think is a new server or something. It's a nice update :3
I have yet to buy a 3DS, but if/when I do I'm getting Pokemon X or Y, Smash Bros., FE:A and PMD: GtI.

Ness gets gimped about as often as Link does, which is >50% of the time, probably more along the lines of 30%. Once you've been gimped a hundred times with a character you start to learn that spacing you need to recover and the mindgames for it really, really well. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that any time he needs to use his UpB he's screwed.

About Ike, Rizen had a pretty good post outlining it from a while ago:
Ike vs Link is about -2 (disadvantage but winnable) for Link. Link's projectiles all can be beaten by well timed shielding, which isn't hard in Brawl. Ike also has an annoying frame 2 jab that can combo into other things where Link's jab is frame 6. So basically Link has to play from farther than Ike's Fair range (which is about Link's Zair range) or risk a strictly timed close combat fight of baiting, spacing and punishing Ike's lag while avoiding being caught in his jabs. At least until Link can escape and spam projectiles for a short time before Ike corners him again.
Both characters can live a long time if not gimped but Ike has launch power and jab combos that tip the scales in his favor. Also Ike's grab is a standard grab but Link's tether grab is super laggy so Link has to be sure he will land a grab or be severely punished.

You should be able to hit Ike; try using all 3 projectiles to force him into bad positions. Zair still is useful and can be done out of an airdodge.
Link definitely is at a disadvantage because Ike can approach and jab and Link's spam can't prevent this for long. Ike also has absurdly powerful punish moves if Link messes up with a laggy move.
Site admins need to fix the quote bubbles so they don't lose their original font color when being quoted. :(

EDIT OF AWESOME, CLICK HERE!!!: Rizen needs to practice his Link, I totally smashed him.

kyroN

Smash Cadet
Why do I get the feeling an Ivysaur would've been able to recover at least two of those times...

Waitwat

Also tfw random **** done by me when bored

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link is bad in teams :/ . He mostly avoids his partner SH/jumping around spacing the opponent. Occasionally he'll throw a bomb/arrow to stop his teammate from being comboed and Smash or Dair into the confusion. Unfortunately the teammate can rarely save him because his fall speed and lack of recovery distance. He doesn't bring much to a team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQfoVeK0iCE&list=PLDC7F8FD99C40C4DB&index=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEu29QF2ejM&list=PLDC7F8FD99C40C4DB&index=6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpIezyOaEPA&list=PLDC7F8FD99C40C4DB&index=9

Although I've heard Link+Samus are the best low tier team because their spacing works really well together.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Not sure how I feel about that list, but...okay!

DARN IT PEOPLE POST HERE ALREADY, I'M TIRED OF WATCHING MY INBOX IN VAIN FOR "NEW POST IN ____" TO SHOW UP D:<

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Lol, my partner for the upcoming tournament is a Ness. And we have to face a double Sonic in the first round :facepalm:
Happy, Anonano? ;)

Heero Yuy

#sweg
How do you normally throw bombs along with boosting your mobility? Would it be better to bomb slide (which is really advanced but hasn't helped me too much before) or just jump cancel throw them?

Rizen

Smash Legend
How do you normally throw bombs along with boosting your mobility? Would it be better to bomb slide (which is really advanced but hasn't helped me too much before) or just jump cancel throw them?
My most common use for bombs involves SH movement. Sometimes I'll bombslide but simple SH/jump camping is the best way to space.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'm gonna try to go to a tournament soon.

So far, I've defeated about 5 competetive players, though, varying from Diddy to Marth and Snake.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Good work FB :)
Thanks! I was honestly surprised at all the Sonics; and they were good too :teeth:
But alas, I pulled out second. I think my biggest advantage was the fact that most top players didn't have experience with Link.

Hey Rizen, will you be available tomorrow for some WiFi? I need to work on a couple of things, and besides, Anonano suggested I play you, so...:chuckle:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Ohai. :3

Congrats, and I'm gonna have my first tourney in four years Saturday, so wish me luck too :3

Hopefully you can keep this performance up. MU knowledge accounts for something, but tourney experience can also dramatically improve performance, so I hope the two balance out to keep you near the top :3

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Thanks! Good luck, need a punching bag tomorrow? I'll be available, most likely.

Yeah, I struggled a lot with Sonics, Diddy (obvious) and Snake. I thought I knew the matchup well, but dang. I finally played a good Snake, I suppose.
Thankfully, as I said, not a lot of people knew the Link matchup, so that gave me a brief advantage. I'm afraid I'll need a secondary next time; in friendlies, a lot of them whooped me, since they had experience.
And yay, the Link gang's all here! (almost, but close enough!)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm on xat right now, if you're interested in chatting/playing.

And I'm available any time tomorrow after 9 MST, so let me know what works for you.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
If anyone wants to train I am so down
I'm on xat right now, if you're interested in chatting/playing.

And I'm available any time tomorrow after 9 MST, so let me know what works for you.
@Anonano
Yeah, tomorrow will be better for me, sorry.
@LordXav1er
Like with Anonano, will you be available tomorrow? I'll be on after 4:00 PM my time. I'll update it soon for a general time.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
On second thought, tonight isn't good for me b/c I've got to get some sleep before work tomorrow. So it would be good if you could get on sometime tomorrow too Xavier :3

Heero Yuy

#sweg
LordXav1er, I'd be willing to play with you after school around 8 or so since I'm a newb in desperate need for experience. However, I probably won't use Link the entire time since I don't really main with him anymore.

Congratulations, Fast! :D Most of the wins I pull off with Link are against those who don't know how to face him. For your first pro tournament with a Link, that's impressive beyond words!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Whoever decided to put "le" in the title should be ashamed of themselves. I came here from the homepage just to say that.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Whoever decided to put "le" in the title should be ashamed of themselves. I came here from the homepage just to say that.
Wha, we had to keep it all L. This is the Link thread, after all. And it's original! :b:

@HeeroYuy
Thanks! I won most of my matches for that reason, too, I'm afraid. Still, it was crazy fun.

Top Bottom