• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ugh, Pit's light arrow spam on wifi :/ . Good work :) . I'll wifi sometime.
Link really suffers in worse than average lag or from lag spikes. Wifi takes a lot of getting used to so play safe if you're unsure.

Tesh

Smash Hero
This character intrigues me. What would you guys say Link's top 5 most viable matchup are above mid tier?

From what I've seen, I'm guessing its Snake, Falco, Olimar, ICs and Lucario?

kyroN

Smash Cadet
MOST viable for Lunk above Mid-tier?

1. Lucario
2. Snake
3. Wario
4. Marth
5. Pikachu

imo

Falco and Olimar are horrible matchups. :x

Tesh

Smash Hero
all the link vs falco stuff ive seen lately made it looks pretty decent for link, aside from the best links not even attempting to survive cg-spike

Rizen

Smash Legend
What would you guys say Link's top 5 most viable matchup are above mid tier?
As in borderline and up?
G&W -1
ZSS -1 or -2
Wario soft -2
Pit -2
(toss up) Snake, Marth or Toon Link, all -2s

Pika would be on there if not for the CG :/ . Most of Link's -2 MUs follow closely.

Tesh

Smash Hero
cant you avoid CGs by carrying bombs? your entire SH aerial game is all there if you just keep zcatching

Rizen

Smash Legend
cant you avoid CGs by carrying bombs? your entire SH aerial game is all there if you just keep zcatching
Sadly this can happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHXgN72Yzk&feature=player_detailpage#t=238s (Link drops the bomb) sorry for the quality. Link's terrible mobility makes him very easy to catch and grab even after a bomb saves him :( .
VS Falco, Falco can laser>forward B camp and Link can't do anything except hope to get a hard read right while taking tons of damage. The CG death isn't the big threat vs Falco because Link can get around it or bomb himself to past 52% but the damage, losing the lead or risking losing a stock and occasional returning CG>spike stock loss make the already bad MU suck worse.

Although CGs rarely kill Link, they build a ****load of damage and put Link offstage where he is vulnerable. Like here vs Pika http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ybfpZYC32eA#t=96s 1 bad input +Pika's CG basically cost me an entire stock :( .

kyroN

Smash Cadet
If you hold the A (or whatever you have set as attack) button after you take out/pick up the bomb, you can still FSmash with the C-stick. It's a bit of an awkward and impractical movement though. lol

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I've never seen a Link do much more than get 1-stocked by a good Falco, and my experiences have been pretty similar.
But then Lucario would be a very easy MU for me because I am familiar with him playing him.
Overall I think the four easiest MUs from top three tiers would be ICs, Marth, Snake and Wario. IC players tend to be a little nervous about the bomb-hold CG thing, even though they have a clear advantage. The other three are the only ones who don't have a legitimate CG or infinite of some sort on Link, and any character who has a CG on him leaves a clear gap in skill level needed to win compared to characters w/o. Marth, Snake and Wario have an advantage on Link but they have things like subpar gimping games or more limited damage-racking abilities compared to the other top tiers that brings things down into a more human plane.

EDIT NINJA'D BY KYRO
What a wonderful question.

You need c-stick set to smashes to do this.
When you are in the animation of pulling out a bomb, press and hold down the A button. Then attack using the c-stick.

You can also set the c-stick to smashes to pull off DACs and bombslides although I think both of those ATs are neglected as irrelevant these days. Learning how to throw bombs in any direction via jump cancelling is a much more reliable AT to learn anyways.

For a full list of EVERYTHING that Link can do and how to do it, check out the Secret Sages Thread. It's darn useful stuff. (Okay, I actually think most of it ISN'T, but it really depends on your playstyle. But at least knowing most of the ATs can give you a small edge throughout a series of matches.)

Rizen, Utah is having an anime convention around May 10-12th and they've agreed to host a regional for Smash. You should totally come and help me rep Link. And then we could meet and have friendlies, etc. It'd be freaking awesome.
And everyone else who could make it. But I know Rizen is relatively close.

The cost is $20 a day and $10 a tournament, I think it's like $30 for a three day pass. They're expecting the tourney to take multiple days as more people enter.
You guys can visit the website here if you're interested.
Hype hype hype

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Dang. I would, but I'm two states over, and that drive is evil. Sorry.
However, there's not much Smash activity where I'm at either... Lol, I'm better off just crossing the border and learning the Mexican metagame.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sadly this can happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHXgN72Yzk&feature=player_detailpage#t=238s (Link drops the bomb) sorry for the quality. Link's terrible mobility makes him very easy to catch and grab even after a bomb saves him :( .
VS Falco, Falco can laser>forward B camp and Link can't do anything except hope to get a hard read right while taking tons of damage. The CG death isn't the big threat vs Falco because Link can get around it or bomb himself to past 52% but the damage, losing the lead or risking losing a stock and occasional returning CG>spike stock loss make the already bad MU suck worse.

Although CGs rarely kill Link, they build a ****load of damage and put Link offstage where he is vulnerable. Like here vs Pika http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ybfpZYC32eA#t=96s 1 bad input +Pika's CG basically cost me an entire stock :( .
it looks like player skill holds link back more than cging in those matchups to me

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Quick question; would you guys evaluate my play style off of my matches, via recording? I have one or two, I think, with people here, and I can go grab my SD card whenever.

Rizen

Smash Legend
it looks like player skill holds link back more than cging in those matchups to me
Link's the hardest character to use IMO. If you don't know him he seems great but that's why he got nerfed so much and ended up a low tier; theory doesn't work :/ .

I have R set to Attack to make bomb-Fsmash easier.

@ Ano I probably won't make it but I'll try.

@FB sure. Post in the video thread :) http://smashboards.com/threads/275902/

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Awwwwww man guys D: Oh well.

We'd love to evaluate your matches, FB; post away.

Also, if Hyrule were two states away I'd drive over and meet you there anytime. But alas.

MARCH 1ST EDIT: Just as a reminder, I'm going to be on tomorrow with FB at 12:30 EST for WiFi on www.xat.com/brawlersofhyrule. Those of you who want to come play, chat, or discuss should get on around then as well. Hope to see you guys there! :)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well seeing that smashboards has been in a constant inconsistency. Yeah, I wouldn't expect many people to get on when one minute the site is up, the other, it's down.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Yes, they were fixing some more issues with the forums over the last couple of days.

Just check their twitter account at https://twitter.com/smashboards for updates if the site is ever down to learn what is going on.

Also,
MARCH 1ST EDIT: Just as a reminder, I'm going to be on tomorrow with FB at 12:30 EST for WiFi onwww.xat.com/brawlersofhyrule. Those of you who want to come play, chat, or discuss should get on around then as well. Hope to see you guys there! :)

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Awwwwww man guys D: Oh well.

We'd love to evaluate your matches, FB; post away.

Also, if Hyrule were two states away I'd drive over and meet you there anytime. But alas.

MARCH 1ST EDIT: Just as a reminder, I'm going to be on tomorrow with FB at 12:30 EST for WiFi on www.xat.com/brawlersofhyrule. Those of you who want to come play, chat, or discuss should get on around then as well. Hope to see you guys there! :)
Okay, thanks! I'll post em in the Video criteque thread here in a bit.
Lol, I'll give you a hint: Go diagonal downwards to the right. I'm in what I call, "El Gerudo Valley".
This might sound stupid, but at 12:30 AM or PM? Because either is meh for me... for me it's either 10 PM or 10 AM. Either way I won't be my best, lol.

Side note, I'm gonna have some friendlies with some friends of mine. If I have some good ones I might post em. And that tournament coming up soon...

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Ha ha! Then I have you at a disadvantage, good sir.

That'll be 10:30AM (in Utah). Not the best time maybe, but meh.

Color posts are working again :D

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Ah, ok. Same time here, too. I never use different colors, but cool. Green is what my Link is. And sometimes blue. My Kirby is always pink.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My characters are their standard colors except in doubles I prefer blue team. Green team looks meh on some characters like Charizard.

I might pop in Xat tonight.

People have weird ideas about Link like 'Bair's range is bad', 'Link will die at 150%', 'Link's Zair and landing game is worse than TLink's', 'Link's bombs are worse than TL's', 'Link's SH game is bad because he falls fast'...
Then people act like they know how to play Link when it's all wrong and don't listen to evidence about how Link effectively plays. MU discussions are littered with spam. :facepalm:
Sorry, I needed to b**** about that to people who actually play Link lol.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well come on Xat if you're still here. Kotier and I are on.

I'm still in the Smash league here at BYU and this is something that was posted on the club's private forums prior to someone having a match with me:

Inspiring fear in non-pro players since September 2012.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Wait, you guys played earlier? :facepalm: Of course I missed it.
On a side note, I have results from a VERY scrubby tournament with friends:
1. Me :link2::kirby2:
2.:olimar::bowser2:
3.:bowser2::ike:
4.:samus2::pit:
5.:metaknight:
6.:snake::wolf:
7.:diddy::squirtle:
8.:lucario::fox:
9.:ivysaur::popo:
10.:rob::sheik:
11.:falcon:
12.:mario::peach:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Cool.
Um, what's with the pan flute?

Good work FB and Ano :)

I get the feeling Link is the most separate character of all. He's very strange in how he plays. Sonic might also be but he's a better character and as such, more popular. This is my experience after learning and playing Ganon, Zelda, Link, Bowser, PT (Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard), G&W, Wolf and MK; Link is by far the most separated.
When you think about it, who else has his quick SH>landing cancel style and platform camping like Link? His optimal passive aggressive spam mixed with 'A' attacks and Zair is also unusual. Link doesn't really camp except a few brief scenarios or fight- his entire game is best described as spacing. He has no distinct spam process; it's best improvised for the situation and spacing. IMO he's THE hardest character to properly use because the spacing/commands are so precise and require constant quick thinking. He's extremely unforgiving too. Not to mention Link has very little real rep, especially in high level play.

I've played randoms and thought '______'s moves are crazy good'. Even without knowing the characters, they're much more strait forward than Link. As mentioned the only other character who I can say that about is Sonic but maybe I just suck with him, lol. Most characters, some more than others, can be picked up and used okay without knowing them specifically but know the game. Theory crafting has never been accurate for Link, good or bad leaning.

:/

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Yea, I notice that all characters, bar a few, can follow the same attack pattern. Projectile, approach, Dair, Fair, projectile, dair, occasional smashes, etc. Imo, Link, Sonic, Ike, Lucario, Ivysaur, and Zero Suit Samus are the hardest characters to learn and play WELL, as well as the most unique. Link is obvious, Sonic is rediculously fast and has to haul *** in order to kill, Ike needs to master recovery and not getting comboed, Ivysaur actually needs his Nair, and relies on it a lot, and his projectiles are meh, plus he's mid/light weight with a tether recovery, and ZSS, like Sonic, needs to rack up enormous amounts of damage, but she also has Dsmash, Uair, a tether recovery, and DownB.
Just curious, how's the Link Vs. Ivysaur matchup in your opinions? I personally think Link has at least +1, but then again, I think Link should be in Bowser's spot...

EDIT: Anonano, in thirty minutes, right? I'll get ready.
EDIT 2: Yoo hoo, Anonano, where are ya? :p

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm on now. Get on Xat if you can or let me know if we just need to do a conversation again (please don't :( )

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Wow, great matches! It's great to finally brawl! Anyone else wanna go at it? I'll be here a little longer, so...

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ivy's the 1 character who has a worse recovery than Link lol. If Link plays defensively and avoids Ivy's combo starter spots (like Ivy's Nair>Bullet seed) it's +1 or even on smaller stages. Ivy kills a lot of Link's crossover and platform camping game and, like almost everyone, Ivy's faster/more agile. Ivy has high reward combos and punishes.

Squirtle's the real threat in the PT MU. Charizard gets walled out really well with Zair.

Similar to Ivy (sort of) Zelda and G&W rely on their Nairs.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Going to a smashfest for the first time in four years where its competitive is so refreshing. I had so much fun today and I really surprised myself with how well I can still play. Playing without lag, when its just you and one or three other guys with no items to get in the way...

:)

Can't wait for the sixteenth.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Well, good luck Anonano! Hope our matches helped! My tournament is toward the end of the month, so I have a while to prepare.
Oh, and do you want me to upload our matches, Ano? If so, where?

Rizen

Smash Legend
After the transition, playing offline is extremely freeing.
I'm not super fond of wifi but oh well. It's better than nothing.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You can go ahead and upload them. You can link to them here or in the wifi thread if you like.

Top Bottom