• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last duke biweekly! Online prereg! $20 venue $0 entry|m2k, armada, pp, ally attending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilt

Smash Lord
Whenever I see Vilt post, I imagine that he is super missiling the post he's responding to.

I'm just saying.
Crio I love you. xD

or CCing a post.
or double resting a post
or having rough sex with a post
or getting gimped by his own post

lol

God I love you bros. xD

But no reason being that I am not going is money johns. My car insurance ended up going 134$ from the quoted price I got so there went all my spending money. Sorry Rome I just couldn't catch this one. Maybe next one bro, if I don't end up blowing my money away at Billz xD

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm wearing my special shirt right now.

I hope I don't get beat up on the walk to Craven.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I kind of doubt SP is going unless DUB wakes up and says he wants to drive there. I have no gas in my car right now.

DJRome

Smash Hero
and the day's over :) i only know the $ placements so here they are

teams:
1st pp+karn $63
2nd crystalnite+bill $27

6 teams

singles:
1st pp $71
2nd crystalnite $35
3rd eric wang $12

17 entrants

DJRome

Smash Hero
the doubles were erased, and some of the later matches were not played fully as we did round robin of 6 teams and then the top 2 played grand finals set from what i remember, 3rd was robert & eric, 4th me and audi and the last two were between emb & jmh and darkside & moophobia

here's singles bracket:

good **** bros

Foxy

Smash Master
whoa, Karn not in the top 3?

maybe he didn't have time to enter singles?

or is Durham that good...

edit: bracket posted, i'll look at that

Foxy

Smash Master
Results from the bracket:

1: Dr. Peepee
2: Crystalnite
3: Eric Wang
4: Lord Karn
5: Audi
5: JMH
7: Robert
7: DJRome
9: NC-Echo
9: EMB
9: Darksyde
9: Moophobia
13: Jin
13: Phil
13: Ph00tbag
13: Smith

BEHR

Smash Hero
ey DJ next time dont use pools.

):

I did not get out of pools cause i had a ****ty pool.

3 Marths>Falcon>Doc

anyways it was chill ill help run the next tourney DJ so it can be fair and evenly distributed

Foxy

Smash Master
whoa you guys ran pools with elimination? i thought it was just for seeding?

so if there were 16 for the bracket how many players actually entered?

20? 24?

DJRome

Smash Hero
the more i think about it, the harder it is for me to understand how it is fair for people who are "better" ranked before brackets to have an easier time than other people but whatever

17 entrants behr's pool had 5. i should have done it better something like worst pools record and last in that pool or something. but yeah, next time will be more amazing in most regards. im thinking of getting a bigger room but we'll see about expected turnout

DJRome

Smash Hero
based on this:
Sat, Sep 26 N.C. Central Durham, N.C. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 03 Virginia Tech * Durham, N.C. TBA
Sat, Oct 10 N.C. State * at Raleigh, N.C. TBA
Sat, Oct 24 Maryland * Durham, N.C. TBA
Sat, Oct 31 Virginia * at Charlottesville, Va. TBA
Sat, Nov 07 North Carolina * at Chapel Hill, N.C. TBA
Sat, Nov 14 Georgia Tech * Durham, N.C. TBA
Sat, Nov 21 Miami * at Miami, Fla. TBA
Sat, Nov 28 Wake Forest * Durham, N.C. TBA

next biweekly may have to be moved to sunday to avoid the football game so that you guys can park. oh yeah

BEHR

Smash Hero
the more i think about it, the harder it is for me to understand how it is fair for people who are "better" ranked before brackets to have an easier time than other people but whatever

17 entrants behr's pool had 5. i should have done it better something like worst pools record and last in that pool or something. but yeah, next time will be more amazing in most regards. im thinking of getting a bigger room but we'll see about expected turnout
Ill help you bro. :)

Foxy

Smash Master

Couldn't you have just ran the bracket with 17 players? It'll just have a couple of byes.

I've done all my tournaments with odd numbers of players, works fine.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i feel like someone forgot to pay $ for singles because i have less $ today than i started with and i should have $3 more because i got cash from ppl for drinks too.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
good **** today people.

I will probably grow attached to NC soon enough. Just get topebeard to come to the billfest and I will fall in love with the region.

Audi

Smash Rookie
good stuff. duke freshies came out of nowhere and rocked my world. i'm talking about you, eric and robert. and you too theo, but i already had some idea that you might do that lol

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
You have a point.. obviously there was some better not ranked players.

Can't believe ya'll let some dukies dominate. Who was the sheik? I will cg that *** right back.

At least there's always basketball season though.... :chuckle: UNC

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Better players will still perform well in a bracket based on power rankings. Duo got on the Brawl PRs on his very first showing in our circuit because he got something like third, despite not being ranked at all.

And it's not like pools are incapable of the same kind of unfairness. Audi, Eric and Robert were all in one pool. We couldn't have known that Eric and Robert were good, because no one had seen them play up to then, but that just illustrates my point. Not to mention Eric and Robert evidently played together all the time, which is generally to be avoided, even if you don't know their skill level.

The real problem with pools was logistical. I've never run a tournament, but I've been involved in their execution enough times to have been utterly shocked that this tournament was having pools when I first heard about it. I don't doubt that a 17 person bracket could have been carried out by 8 o'clock at the latest. This tournament seemed to end at around 10. The fact of the matter is, pools tend to waste time before they ever save it. Even at large tournaments, they're really time consuming, and are only efficient if you cut out something like half of the people that participated. Their primary use is to give totally green players a chance to play several different people without going two and out.

The fact is, pools took too long, and had too little of an effect on the actual amount of people in the tournament. Pools should not be used to eliminate one person. That's just unfair, and it's a total waste of time. Just run a seventeen person bracket. Make the lowest seed a wild card.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i got that. im just wondering about seeding for brackets. i also have a feeling that some other guys are hiding in the woodwork too

in retrospect, i also think that some players may have been sandbagging/getting back into the game from a long pause and thus their seeding was not indicative of their skill

i think a viable solution is to seed based on pr and those not on pr will be random with location being involved. i'll think more about it.

lord karn

Smash Master
Better players will still perform well in a bracket based on power rankings. Duo got on the Brawl PRs on his very first showing in our circuit because he got something like third, despite not being ranked at all.

And it's not like pools are incapable of the same kind of unfairness. Audi, Eric and Robert were all in one pool. We couldn't have known that Eric and Robert were good, because no one had seen them play up to then, but that just illustrates my point. Not to mention Eric and Robert evidently played together all the time, which is generally to be avoided, even if you don't know their skill level.

The real problem with pools was logistical. I've never run a tournament, but I've been involved in their execution enough times to have been utterly shocked that this tournament was having pools when I first heard about it. I don't doubt that a 17 person bracket could have been carried out by 8 o'clock at the latest. This tournament seemed to end at around 10. The fact of the matter is, pools tend to waste time before they ever save it. Even at large tournaments, they're really time consuming, and are only efficient if you cut out something like half of the people that participated. Their primary use is to give totally green players a chance to play several different people without going two and out.

The fact is, pools took too long, and had too little of an effect on the actual amount of people in the tournament. Pools should not be used to eliminate one person. That's just unfair, and it's a total waste of time. Just run a seventeen person bracket. Make the lowest seed a wild card.
Also, when there are only two sides of a bracket, four pools, and pp obviously being the best there, one of the one seeds is going to get shafted and put on PPs side of the bracket and there is not really any way to determine who it is without looking at PRs or whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom